Random reward chest for cash- Legal??

Daishi
718 posts Member
edited May 2021
I thought the loot boxes were illegal now. But today we have a $40 pack that has a 32% chance and 4% chance. Isn't that illegal now? I thought if spending cash you had to know exactly what you're getting.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Joebo720
    646 posts Member
    Would brush up on your legal skills.
  • Magruffin
    760 posts Member
    I guess it depends on where you are if it's illegal or not
  • Either way it’s a very crappy pack. How about guaranteed aeromagnifiers but with a random chance of how many. I almost bought the pack until a guildie explained that it’s only a small chance of getting the one valuable relic mat in the pack.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Do you have a link to the source for this being illegal?
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    OP is a Neimoidian
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • KarateApina
    126 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    I believe it is considered as gambling in many european countries. (Gabling is heavily regulated in some countries.)

Edit.
    When using in-game currency RNG is ok, but real money should be a no-no.
  • Lovimgsaskia1
    370 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    I think it is banned for minors in some countries and from what I read up it is also banned in Japan for games where you have to buy them in order to progress. In swgoh you don't have to buy them in order to progress, only to speed up that progression.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I believe it is considered as gambling in many european countries. (Gabling is heavily regulated in some countries.)

Edit.

No legal problems here in this part of Europe as long as the probabilities for the various outcomes/drops are available
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Edit.

I am fairly certain all the laws I have seen have a specific definition of gambling and it must have a 0 value "loss" to be considered gambling. You cannot get this pack and get nothing.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I'm with OP. There's no way EA has lawyers that review offerings to determine the legality of those offerings. They don't even have two laptops, how could they have any lawyers?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    So not illegal, but very shady business practices showing aeromagnifiers and those who don't scan thru the description don't understand that there is only a % chance to get those. Especially for $50
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Daishi wrote: »
    So not illegal, but very shady business practices showing aeromagnifiers and those who don't scan thru the description don't understand that there is only a % chance to get those. Especially for $50

I'm ok with punishing ppl too lazy to read. Especially when it comes to a $50 purchase