What's with the random, drastic difficulty spike in GC?

Replies

• th3evo
    358 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    TheJEFFtm wrote: »
    Lmao this is just funny, the teir 8 toons hit for 80k basic, their aoes will be enough to destroy any gear 9 bad batch members, let alone tier 10, pure fan fiction

Here is some fan fiction for you

https://youtu.be/lZy9IdI3I90

I've tried doing pretty much exactly what the video shows yesterday but it still involves so much RNG. Just getting Gideon to attack Rex took 10-20 restarts every time. Piett has some insane tenacity - even with 101% Potency on Tech (not counting Hunter's lead) he resists a lot of stuns.
  • Straegen
    194 posts Member
    Options
    With BB and Rex you will need a couple extra zetas on BB. It does work and it is the "easiest" path but it is still a tough fight. First one I have struggled with actually.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    th3evo wrote: »
    TheJEFFtm wrote: »
    Lmao this is just funny, the teir 8 toons hit for 80k basic, their aoes will be enough to destroy any gear 9 bad batch members, let alone tier 10, pure fan fiction

Here is some fan fiction for you

https://youtu.be/lZy9IdI3I90

I've tried doing pretty much exactly what the video shows yesterday but it still involves so much RNG. Just getting Gideon to attack Rex took 10-20 restarts every time. Piett has some insane tenacity - even with 101% Potency on Tech (not counting Hunter's lead) he resists a lot of stuns.

yeah, undergeared toons are always more at the mercy of rng
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Gold box for free, or red box for spending a bunch of money. Yeah, I’m going to take the free gold box and call it a day. No need for angst on this. It’s just a couple mats I miss out on and not very many at that.

Folks need to chill. Take a breath and realize that none of this really matters. Just get what you can earn, and if you can’t earn the highest box this time either work on Bad Batch for the next time, or continue ignoring them and work on whatever is more important to you. But the difference between a gold and a red box? That’s nothing. Just relax.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Ct214476
    176 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Capital Games being Capitalism Games.
    Edit: Intended to be nothing but a fun pun.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Gold box for free, or red box for spending a bunch of money. Yeah, I’m going to take the free gold box and call it a day. No need for angst on this. It’s just a couple mats I miss out on and not very many at that.

Folks need to chill. Take a breath and realize that none of this really matters. Just get what you can earn, and if you can’t earn the highest box this time either work on Bad Batch for the next time, or continue ignoring them and work on whatever is more important to you. But the difference between a gold and a red box? That’s nothing. Just relax.

I haven't spent money in years. I got the free red box - thanks to some of the suggestions in this thread (specifically the 4 BB at g8 + Rex team). Took about 90 minutes between remodding and waiting for the rng to work. Was it worth it? YMMV.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Hortus
    623 posts Member
    Options
    This battle is the excellent example of how much potential wasted in this game due to few stupid design decisions (in particular, amount of rng component).

In fact, G8 BB +1 vs final tier is absolutely excellent strategic puzzle. If I'd know for sure that it's specifically designed this way - I'd applaud it's creators. Wrong modding - you are dead. Not knowing squad abilities good enough, one error with incorrect ability use - you are dead. Make all thing right - get the reward. THIS is the type of encounter which I would very like to see in the game (in the GC and Conquest in particular).

BUT. There are always "but" in this game. Stupid .... rng. Tone down Gideon speed a little (removes "restart fight 75% of time" feature), guarantee debuffs to land under Potency Up buff - and we could have absolutely ideal galactic challenge encounter. But no, they in CG can't do anything without some sacrifices on the Rng God altar.

Someone could say "but you can spend money and relic your BB"! Yes, you can. But as soon as your BB starts to be able to soak hits or kill enemy in first few turns the strategy puzzle turns into plain steamroll, as on the video with relic BB above where man just don't care much with strategy. So we have the choice between very interesting encounter with tons of rng and steamrolling with overpowering squad.

Don't take me wrong, I understand that company must make money, and promoting squads through GC not the worst type of monetization I've seen in the mobile games. It would be ok if encounter was unbeatable for low-gear BB and had "one error=dead" difficulty for R7 BB. The problem is that in the end instead for truly interesting fight without frustration at least for someone we got stupid rng for ftp and easy fight for whales.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hortus wrote: »
    This battle is the excellent example of how much potential wasted in this game due to few stupid design decisions (in particular, amount of rng component).

In fact, G8 BB +1 vs final tier is absolutely excellent strategic puzzle. If I'd know for sure that it's specifically designed this way - I'd applaud it's creators. Wrong modding - you are dead. Not knowing squad abilities good enough, one error with incorrect ability use - you are dead. Make all thing right - get the reward. THIS is the type of encounter which I would very like to see in the game (in the GC and Conquest in particular).

BUT. There are always "but" in this game. Stupid .... rng. Tone down Gideon speed a little (removes "restart fight 75% of time" feature), guarantee debuffs to land under Potency Up buff - and we could have absolutely ideal galactic challenge encounter. But no, they in CG can't do anything without some sacrifices on the Rng God altar.

Someone could say "but you can spend money and relic your BB"! Yes, you can. But as soon as your BB starts to be able to soak hits or kill enemy in first few turns the strategy puzzle turns into plain steamroll, as on the video with relic BB above where man just don't care much with strategy. So we have the choice between very interesting encounter with tons of rng and steamrolling with overpowering squad.

Don't take me wrong, I understand that company must make money, and promoting squads through GC not the worst type of monetization I've seen in the mobile games. It would be ok if encounter was unbeatable for low-gear BB and had "one error=dead" difficulty for R7 BB. The problem is that in the end instead for truly interesting fight without frustration at least for someone we got stupid rng for ftp and easy fight for whales.

Spot on. No doubt every game mode has (and needs) the RNG factor. To a certain degree RNG can contribute to the fun effect. But too much RNG kills the fun because it destroys the balance of time invested and reward gained (not just talking about what's in the red crate).
  • mariogsh
    786 posts Member
    Options
    Hortus wrote: »
    THIS is the type of encounter which I would very like to see in the game (in the GC and Conquest in particular).

No thanks, no need on wasting more energy on Conquest thanks to absurd parameters meeting, even worse without knowing the enemies speed
  • StarDog89
    169 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    mfg0mc2ohdku.jpg
    fkem5thouj3m.jpg
    wvuzl43wxyrn.jpg

Took a remod to give BB characters good potency, and put a fast loadout on Rex. The longest part of the whole thing was waiting for the right starting sequence and then reading thru every BB ability before using it. Took me just over 45 minutes.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    StarDog89 wrote: »
    mfg0mc2ohdku.jpg
    fkem5thouj3m.jpg
    wvuzl43wxyrn.jpg

Took a remod to give BB characters good potency, and put a fast loadouts on Rex. The longest part of the whole thing was waiting for the right starting sequence and then reading thru every BB ability before using it. Took me just over 45 minutes.

that's great, but also a lot of stun guns and kyros spent to earn that red crate.
  • StarDog89
    169 posts Member
    Options
    And once GAC is expanded they will be a decent back wall cheese team to grab a few banners, even at their low gear.

And I hoard like hell, still have 1800 stun guns and about 1200 of each kyros. Worth the red crate in my mind.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    StarDog89 wrote: »
    And once GAC is expanded they will be a decent back wall cheese team to grab a few banners, even at their low gear.

And I hoard like hell, still have 1800 stun guns and about 1200 of each kyros. Worth the red crate in my mind.

Hope you're right, I have so far upgraded echo to g11 and tech to g10...
  • Whatelse73
    2163 posts Member
    Options
    Simple: Frustration Purchasing to get people to whale on Bad Batch.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »

Gearing 3* characters to g8 or g9 is now considered "whaling" ? Wow. I've been a f2p kraken for years and never knew.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Whatelse73
    2163 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Gearing 3* characters to g8 or g9 is now considered "whaling" ? Wow. I've been a f2p kraken for years and never knew.

RNG still plays a factor, even IF you use G8 or G9 characters, you still have to exit and restart that quite a few times to get it to work right. (Yes, I've watched the video). Not everyone HAS 4-5 hours to spend trying to do ONE GC mission. Frustration purchasing will happen, which is what the expectation is.

As well, not even 10% of the playerbase reads these forums. I'd say maybe half watch videos about the game on Youtube.

Just because you have extra time to watch this, re-mod, battle through RNG, etc., does not mean every player does. Again, frustration purchasing is planned in, whether you think so, whether you fall to it, or not. Stop thinking every player is like you...
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

RNG still plays a factor, even IF you use G8 or G9 characters, you still have to exit and restart that quite a few times to get it to work right. (Yes, I've watched the video). Not everyone HAS 4-5 hours to spend trying to do ONE GC mission. Frustration purchasing will happen, which is what the expectation is.

As well, not even 10% of the playerbase reads these forums. I'd say maybe half watch videos about the game on Youtube.

Just because you have extra time to watch this, re-mod, battle through RNG, etc., does not mean every player does. Again, frustration purchasing is planned in, whether you think so, whether you fall to it, or not. Stop thinking every player is like you...

Of course spending is the easier path - but that's not new or a "sudden spike" - and is not necessary.

• Whatelse73
    2163 posts Member
    Options

Of course spending is the easier path - but that's not new or a "sudden spike" - and is not necessary.

You're saying that in regards to a game, developed by a company that has made over one Billion Dollars on said game. Same as multiple other developers, they use "frustration purchasing" to get players to spend. Plain and simple. CG is fairly egregious about it at times, as are other developers. This is an example of said egregious frustration purchasing. (Same as a BAM requirement was a few months ago.)

As I mentioned before, just because it's "not necessary" for you doesn't mean it isn't for every other player. I've reviewed this video and I'm up to over 60 attempts just to see how it'll work. (Even Skelturix talks about the amount of RNG involved in his video.) So far in only 3 attempts I've gotten to Wrecker's second turn. Over 40 of those attempts is Gideon targeting one of the BB first. Again. Frustration purchasing is employed to get players to spend so they don't have to spend hours trying to complete an event. (Even if some have luck of getting it done in 5 minutes, or claim to.) Like I said before, not every player is YOU.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

You're saying that in regards to a game, developed by a company that has made over one Billion Dollars on said game. Same as multiple other developers, they use "frustration purchasing" to get players to spend. Plain and simple. CG is fairly egregious about it at times, as are other developers. This is an example of said egregious frustration purchasing. (Same as a BAM requirement was a few months ago.)

The BAM feats required two newly-released characters to be at 7* to complete the BAM journey. This is not the same. That DID require people to spend (too unlock BAM) . This one did not.

It took me 90 minutes to remod, catch the right rng and unmod again. I realize that not everyone can/will do that. But that is an option (unlike the hard requirement of the BAM feats - or even the relic-gates in earlier versions of GC).

People didn't have to spend to get max rewards - and yet you pop in and start throwing "whale" around. Except whaling isn't needed. This time around was f2p friendly - just not f2p easy.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. You either have to spend money to be over-geared or deal with rng. But again, this isn't new - and this time, no spending was even necessary. I'm all for calling out CG when they do things anti-f2p - this ain't one of those times.

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

As I mentioned before, just because it's "not necessary" for you doesn't mean it isn't for every other player. I've reviewed this video and I'm up to over 60 attempts just to see how it'll work. (Even Skelturix talks about the amount of RNG involved in his video.) So far in only 3 attempts I've gotten to Wrecker's second turn. Over 40 of those attempts is Gideon targeting one of the BB first. Again. Frustration purchasing is employed to get players to spend so they don't have to spend hours trying to complete an event. (Even if some have luck of getting it done in 5 minutes, or claim to.) Like I said before, not every player is YOU.

We don't know the numbers, but I doubt "frustration spending" is their bread and butter. Plenty of ppl spend on just about anything just to have it, and I'm guessing that's the bulk of their income. Then are a lot of us that spend much smaller amounts, maybe 20 to 200 a year...thats probably the next highest source of income. I don't see them suddenly turning a huge profit suddenly because 1 event is frustrating.

Also, if you want a BB member to survive Gideons first shot, use 5s lead.
  • Options

The BAM feats required two newly-released characters to be at 7* to complete the BAM journey. This is not the same. That DID require people to spend (too unlock BAM) . This one did not.

It took me 90 minutes to remod, catch the right rng and unmod again. I realize that not everyone can/will do that. But that is an option (unlike the hard requirement of the BAM feats - or even the relic-gates in earlier versions of GC).

People didn't have to spend to get max rewards - and yet you pop in and start throwing "whale" around. Except whaling isn't needed. This time around was f2p friendly - just not f2p easy.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. You either have to spend money to be over-geared or deal with rng. But again, this isn't new - and this time, no spending was even necessary. I'm all for calling out CG when they do things anti-f2p - this ain't one of those times.

Look, F2P POSSIBLE events are good enough for me. I really don’t care how hard they are. It just makes the rush of victory feel so much better. This one is F2P, if not friendly, possible. I like that. And I’ll call CG out if I think they’re making anti-F2P moves. This one ain’t it.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Look, F2P POSSIBLE events are good enough for me. I really don’t care how hard they are. It just makes the rush of victory feel so much better. This one is F2P, if not friendly, possible. I like that. And I’ll call CG out if I think they’re making anti-F2P moves. This one ain’t it.

Precisely.

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Do people think CG is really banking on players spending a ton on BB in order to get a red crate without suffering through frustrating multiple attempts with 3* g8 BB? People that don't want to try a lot and would rather r7 4 new chars after using a ton of crytals getting them to 7* seems like a pretty niche group imo
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    Options
    I'm 7 short of the max crate, I don't feel like remodding and trying more, so I'll take what I get and move on. Last GC I maxed out in 2 attempts.
    But flat out stating that this rewards players who "invested" in BB is kind of a crappy way to put it to those who don't. It really just rubs it in people's noses.
    And yet at the same time I get it. ... oooh look shiny, pretty thing!
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    I didn't use a single BB and my fifth was a G11 sarge so....
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gouj4
    416 posts Member
    Options
    twstdbydsn wrote: »
    I'm 7 short of the max crate, I don't feel like remodding and trying more, so I'll take what I get and move on. Last GC I maxed out in 2 attempts.
    But flat out stating that this rewards players who "invested" in BB is kind of a crappy way to put it to those who don't. It really just rubs it in people's noses.

Didn’t remod anyone. Didn’t use any BB, had a gear 7 Cody as my 5th and got max crate. Used the same clones to underman T9 as well so definitely no BB needed for this one. You just don’t have the strategy nailed down
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    Options
    Took me a few tries but max crate is definitely possible with standard clones. Even undersized would be possible since my G9 sarge died ever time to Jangos first burn and never took a turn.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    Options
    Gouj4 wrote: »

Didn’t remod anyone. Didn’t use any BB, had a gear 7 Cody as my 5th and got max crate. Used the same clones to underman T9 as well so definitely no BB needed for this one. You just don’t have the strategy nailed down

Or your mods are better/faster than mine, or relic'd higher. Who knows. So far the strategy for me is seeing which clone dies first (usually Cody).
    Like I said, I don't care enough about GC's for max rewards these days. I just get what I get and move one.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

Or your mods are better/faster than mine, or relic'd higher. Who knows. So far the strategy for me is seeing which clone dies first (usually Cody).
    Like I said, I don't care enough about GC's for max rewards these days. I just get what I get and move one.

Fortunately you're someone who shares his swgoh.gg in his signature so we can take a look.
    Your clones are all relic 5 which is fine.
    ARC is fine (speed is not too slow, offense is good for r5 and no off% on cross).
    Fives --> remod for 3x health sets and speed/health secondaries to make your clones more durable when he sacrifices (hopefully not too soon, him tanking a few hits early on helps)
    Echo --> more speed and preferably a CD set with an offense cross and CD triangle (should be the 2nd fastest char after Rex if you are not going to use a g10/11 BB Echo to use grenade for the buff dispell and get Greef out of stealth)
    Rex --> more speed (speed + health set) and preferably health primaries

1) Rex should go first after Jango (basic or burn are ok, rocket preferably should target Fives) and use his cleanse and TM boost
    2) focus down Greef with all attacks (call ARC as assist with Fives as the turret will assist and take away an additional stack of True Defense)
    3) give the turret to Rex (fastest char)
    4) spam all your other specials
    5) once Greef is down you can work on Boba or Mando (personally I preferred to focus Boba as I was afraid of an execute, Mando is more squishy tho I think so he might be better/easier to take down for some lower geared clones)
    6) Rexilate Bossk in the meantime
    7) take down Mando/Boba (whoever you focused after Greef)
    8) wait for next Rexilate (preferable target is Jango as he's quite tanky) and spam attacks and take out Mando/Boba (whoever is left)
    9) take out Jango last
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

Fortunately you're someone who shares his swgoh.gg in his signature so we can take a look.
    ARC is fine (speed is not too slow, offense is good for r5 and no off% on cross).
    Fives --> remod for 3x health sets and speed/health secondaries to make your clones more durable when he sacrifices (hopefully not too soon, him tanking a few hits early on helps)
    Echo --> more speed and preferably a CD set with an offense cross and CD triangle

1) Rex should go first after Jango (basic or burn are ok, rocket preferably should target Fives) and use his cleanse and TM boost
    2) focus down Greef with all attacks (call ARC as assist with Fives as the turret will assist and take away an additional stack of True Defense)
    5) once Greef is down you can work on Boba or Mando (personally I preferred to focus Boba as I was afraid of an execute, Mando is more squishy tho I think so he might be better/easier to take down for some lower geared clones)
    8) wait for next Rexilate (preferable target is Jango as he's quite tanky) and spam attacks and take out Mando/Boba (whoever is left)
    9) take out Jango last
    Legend91 wrote: »

Echo --> more speed and preferably a CD set with an offense cross and CD triangle

9) take out Jango last

Thanks for the guidance. I actually got tier 9 completed before reading this, so now I'm 1 away. In tier 10 I get it down to the Fetts and Mando and then lose. So maybe I'll have to do some remodding if I REALLY want to max it out.