Get CAT after 4 conquests without buying shards?

Prev1
Ok, so there is a whole other thread with lots of tirades about misinformation or not, and hoarding or not, etc.

My question is: if I don't buy any CAT shards from wandering scavengers, will I get CAT by the end of a fourth conquest if I get the max hard prize crate each time?

I can't tell, because the Razor Crest shards in the prize box don't appear to have dropped as much as they said they would, if they have dropped at all.

I feel a bit stumped as to what to do with my credits. I'm now nervous about spending any at all.

Replies

• mariogsh
    783 posts Member
    Ok, so there is a whole other thread with lots of tirades about misinformation or not, and hoarding or not, etc.

My question is: if I don't buy any CAT shards from wandering scavengers, will I get CAT by the end of a fourth conquest if I get the max hard prize crate each time?

I can't tell, because the Razor Crest shards in the prize box don't appear to have dropped as much as they said they would, if they have dropped at all.

I feel a bit stumped as to what to do with my credits. I'm now nervous about spending any at all.

Yeah, you should unlock CAT on the 4th conquest if you're maxing out crates

My thoughts are than when CAT shards drops, it will be the same as it is for Razor Crest right now (44)

The reason why they didn't dropped even more the Razor Crest shards, was because they were alredy on the "low" part
  • TargetEadu
    1513 posts Member
    You’d have 270 CAT shards by the end of the 3rd Conquest, if you don’t buy anything at all but get Max Hard rewards.

Assuming that the “drop” in CAT shards isn’t more than a 2/3rds cut (ie getting <60 shards instead of 90) you’ll unlock after #4.

If the drop is more, then you’ll need to either buy from the Merchants to make up the difference or wait for more Conquests. I doubt it will be this severe, but with no way to judge due to the lack of RC drop it’s good to prepare.

I’d still recommend buying at least some of the shards if you can - even if you’re in a spot where you’d be 5-15 shards short, you’ll still be able to buy at least 20 shards in Conquest 4 and potentially unlock CAT a week or two before you get the box rewards, although this will likely result in a similar delay for the new character.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    The actual numbers of shards we have may very well be what we’ll have in the future: 90 for the new stuff and 44 for the old one. If it’s the case, then you’ll have 314 shards by the end of conquest 4. 16 missing, you can still unlock her if you buy the missing shards shards from the Jawas during the 4th conquest.
    Post edited by Starslayer on
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    The actual numbers of shards we have may very well be what we’ll have in the future: 90 for the new stuff and 44 for the new one. If it’s the case, then you’ll have 314 shards by the end of conquest 4. 26 missing, you can still unlock her if you buy all her shards from the Jawas during the 4th conquest.

*16 missing
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    edited May 2021
    We don't yet know. The 4th conquest will have reduced shards in the box. If you buy NONE from merchants, you'll be 60 short. So if the prize box on #4 is less than 60, you'll need to buy from merchants or wait until #5.

If you prefer to max razor crest first, assuming you are at 6/85, you just need 10 merchants to get it in the next three, assuming there are as many available for RC as CAT. So in number #3 you should be able to skip two RC merchants to buy CAT if you have the currency based on these assumptions.

If we assume CAT drops to 44, then you will need 4 CAT merchants between #3 and #4.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Starslayer wrote: »
    The actual numbers of shards we have may very well be what we’ll have in the future: 90 for the new stuff and 44 for the new one. If it’s the case, then you’ll have 314 shards by the end of conquest 4. 16 missing, you can still unlock her if you buy the missing shards shards from the Jawas during the 4th conquest.

This is what I would assume too.
    mariogsh wrote: »

My thoughts are than when CAT shards drops, it will be the same as it is for Razor Crest right now (44)

The reason why they didn't dropped even more the Razor Crest shards, was because they were alredy on the "low" part

Agreed about the shard count.

But you are incorrect about being able to get her in 4 without buying 16 shards from the merchant.
  • mariogsh
    783 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    The actual numbers of shards we have may very well be what we’ll have in the future: 90 for the new stuff and 44 for the new one. If it’s the case, then you’ll have 314 shards by the end of conquest 4. 16 missing, you can still unlock her if you buy the missing shards shards from the Jawas during the 4th conquest.

This is what I would assume too.
    mariogsh wrote: »

Agreed about the shard count.

But you are incorrect about being able to get her in 4 without buying 16 shards from the merchant.

Yeah, just noticed that, you're right, without it, you'll be 16 shards short
  • TargetEadu
    1513 posts Member
    I wouldn’t bank on CAT getting reduced down to exactly 44 shards. Ship Shards are the ones traditionally available in multiples of 4; Character Shards don’t. That’s a pattern I doubt will get broken here.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    The actual numbers of shards we have may very well be what we’ll have in the future: 90 for the new stuff and 44 for the new one. If it’s the case, then you’ll have 314 shards by the end of conquest 4. 26 missing, you can still unlock her if you buy all her shards from the Jawas during the 4th conquest.

*16 missing

Ninja’ d my editing. You’re fast, cowboy ! /bow
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    I wouldn’t bank on CAT getting reduced down to exactly 44 shards. Ship Shards are the ones traditionally available in multiples of 4; Character Shards don’t. That’s a pattern I doubt will get broken here.

Except it's already broken in this conquest with 5 RC available from merchant for 400.

But you're right that the reduction is anybody's guess right now.
  • Blake085
    190 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Where does it say the fourth Conquest will have CAT's shards reduced?
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I hope people make an assumption based on nothing and then get mad when they are wrong.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    I hope people make an assumption based on nothing and then get mad when they are wrong.

Based on nothing...haha
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Also just rereading the RA and I'm not sure it explicitly says 4 is when she'll be reduced. It just says "several months." Will try to find more info.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Konju wrote: »

Based on nothing...haha

Whoops sorry I meant "based on an arbitrary standard they came up with themselves." You're right, that's technically not nothing.
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member

Based on nothing...haha

Whoops sorry I meant "based on an arbitrary standard they came up with themselves." You're right, that's technically not nothing.

A standard set by 3 previous conquests (not exactly arbitrary).

When level 100 comes, hopefully you got 1 Billion credits ready, since you’re happy for them to make any change they like at any time.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Based on nothing...haha

When level 100 comes, hopefully you got 1 Billion credits ready, since you’re happy for them to make any change they like at any time.

How is that the standard to build on when they say this:
    The 4th Conquest event will also mark some refinements to the Conquest unit cadence and how we plan to address these units in game.

That and the following outlined cadence seems to suggest that things are changing and that the previous Conquests and rewards are not going to be the standard.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

Based on nothing...haha

The 4th Conquest event will also mark some refinements to the Conquest unit cadence and how we plan to address these units in game.

That and the following outlined cadence seems to suggest that things are changing and that the previous Conquests and rewards are not going to be the standard.

Ah, such a small thing to tell us they changed their design choices and have officially decided to design the game around hoarding.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »

Based on nothing...haha

Ah, such a small thing to tell us they changed their design choices and have officially decided to design the game around hoarding.

Hoarding what, 100 currency out of a 3500 cap?
  • You don’t have to hoard, it’s a choice. That’s good for any game modes. If you don’t hoard gear for the next GL, you will still get him, but later than others. If you don’t hoard Conquest currency, you may get Conquest specific thingy later than others. That’s pretty basic stuff.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Wolfcast1e wrote: »
    You don’t have to hoard, it’s a choice. That’s good for any game modes. If you don’t hoard gear for the next GL, you will still get him, but later than others. If you don’t hoard Conquest currency, you may get Conquest specific thingy later than others. That’s pretty basic stuff.

but i want it now and i want all the gear and signal data and i don't want to have to make any choices
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

Based on nothing...haha

You don’t have to hoard, it’s a choice. That’s good for any game modes. If you don’t hoard gear for the next GL, you will still get him, but later than others. If you don’t hoard Conquest currency, you may get Conquest specific thingy later than others. That’s pretty basic stuff.

Except if you want to unlock her after 3 conquests, you have to hoard. Which is something they specifically said they don't design around (except now they do) and they clearly don't actually want you to hoard this currency since it's the first time any currency has had a cap.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Based on nothing...haha

TBF, I wouldn't consider 150 currency hoarding. In a new game mode where we knew things are still being worked out, taking a more cautious approach to spending seemed prudent. but I am not blaming anyone for the choices they made, just to be clear.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member

Based on nothing...haha

Oh well my mind is completely changed then. Totally unfair. And mean, definitely mean.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member

but i want it now and i want all the gear and signal data and i don't want to have to make any choices

Based on nothing...haha

Oh well my mind is completely changed then. Totally unfair. And mean, definitely mean.

It's not even about "I want it now" or whatever other ridiculous thing you'll come up with to demean others on here. CG made an unannounced changed, which is in direct contradiction to the previous pattern and previous statements. Just because you (and I) were ready for that, doesn't make it ok.
  • Wolfcast1e
    526 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Except if you want to unlock her after 3 conquests, you have to hoard. Which is something they specifically said they don't design around (except now they do) and they clearly don't actually want you to hoard this currency since it's the first time any currency has had a cap.

Again ....... having a currency cap doesn’t mean spend it all before the next event.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    edited May 2021

Again ....... having a currency cap doesn’t mean spend it all before the next event.

Of course not, but they (re)sent a clear message that we shouldn't have to hoard this currency. Except then they designed a release that required us to hoard without telling us they were requiring us to hoard.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    This thread just shows most people don't know how to save, don't know how to plan and think they deserve everything right when it comes out.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    This thread just shows most people don't know how to save, don't know how to plan and think they deserve everything right when it comes out.

Because they have literally said you don't need to hoard.
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Zero guarantee that 4th conquest will give 90 CAT shards for max crate

All we know is that we will be getting CAT shards on the 4th conquest, and possibly at a reduced amount (< 90) if they introduce a new conquest unit

Up to you to decide how to utilize this information