If you started all over again, what would you do differently?

I'm at level 50 now, and only just discovering how deep and rich this game goes. This forum has really opened up my eyes, I feel like I was but a Gungan thinking my underwater city is everything.

I'm reading a lot about farming mods early, rushing for Phoenix, etc. And I am totally lost.

So I'm thinking to learn from your regrets - what do you feel like you would've done differently, knowing all that you know?

Replies

• Antario
    996 posts Member

1. Never chase up the latest shining new toons unless you are a whale.
    2. Never unlock a toon or ship unless you are willing to invest in them fully. Especially unlock ships can be very expensive (massive GP increase).
    3. Never apply Zeta to any toons without proper research. Some zetas are useless or only marginally improve the viability of the toon.
    4. Focus on one good team at a time. Never build up a single toon without a full team. This is a 3v3 and 5v5 game.
    5. Never try to build a team, which only has a niche use (a toon/team shall shine at least in 2-3 different game modes).
  • MasterSeedy
    4965 posts Member
    1. Don't do your dailies just to do your dailies, and never collect your daily activity rewards while still under level 60. The daily activity awards grant you experience points, but if you don't accept them then your only experience will come from spending energy. This means, essentially, that you'll farm more ship blueprints and toon shards per level. AFTER you hit level 60, collect those rewards with their extra experience points. The exact reason why might be hard to understand, but basically you don't get assigned to a Squad Arena or Fleet Arena group until you hit a specific level. If you avoid going up levels too quickly, then you'll have more developed toons & ships by the time you arrive at the crucial levels. Once you hit level 60, though, you're assigned a Fleet Arena server, and you will already be on a Squad Arena server, so there's no advantage to delaying any more after that.

So, yeah. Decline the daily rewards before level 60, accept them after.

2. Focus on Fleet first. When level 60 hits, fleet will be new to everyone, but the prepared player might have farmed blueprints of ships before level 60 and saved Galactic War Tokens to buy ship blueprints as soon as the GW store allows you to purchase them at level 60. With the right preparation, you can zoom out ahead of your peers. There are many fewer people who choose to focus on fleet as compared to Squad Arena, so the competition is less fierce. Because of this, you have a real shot at getting near the top of Fleet arena early, and using the large amount of crystals you get from FA rewards to better your ships even faster than your peers, and then get to the point where you're finishing #1 in fleet every day. Once you get there, the rewards are so high (400 crystals per day) that you'll be able to accelerate the work your doing on your toons that aren't pilots.

Fleet first, squad second is just a more efficient way to go.

3. Never refresh a node to accelerate farming characters until you've been level 85 for a good, long time. It takes the same number of attempts to finish a character whether you do them 10/day or 5/day, so do 2 characters 5/day each and you'll finish the pair of characters on the same day without spending any crystals at all. The only difference is that the person spending 25 crystals/day for months would get one of the two characters to 7* half way through while the other is still at 0 shards, but the person not spending has both of the characters at 5* half way through. Early in the game you have so many characters you need to farm, and you're facing enemies with low enough strength that 5* can still be a viable toon, that refreshing the node simply never makes sense.

Someday the time will come when you have the vast majority of characters already at 7* and you would struggle to find a good use for all your energy if you didn't make extra attempts at a toon. At that point you can start refreshing nodes, but that's a long way from now. Even on double drop days, just accept a small amount of double drops on many toons instead of getting lots of double drops on a single toon. It's not worth it.
  • Antario wrote: »
    1. Never chase up the latest shining new toons unless you are a whale.
    2. Never unlock a toon or ship unless you are willing to invest in them fully. Especially unlock ships can be very expensive (massive GP increase).
    3. Never apply Zeta to any toons without proper research. Some zetas are useless or only marginally improve the viability of the toon.
    4. Focus on one good team at a time. Never build up a single toon without a full team. This is a 3v3 and 5v5 game.
    5. Never try to build a team, which only has a niche use (a toon/team shall shine at least in 2-3 different game modes).

Lovely, great tips and glad I've been focusing on teams instead of toons. I just can't seem to build with future in mind - that is all I'm reading about having a squad that has GLs; I don't even know which GL to go for and what sort of synergy I want. :/

1. Don't do your dailies just to do your dailies, and never collect your daily activity rewards while still under level 60. The daily activity awards grant you experience points, but if you don't accept them then your only experience will come from spending energy. This means, essentially, that you'll farm more ship blueprints and toon shards per level. AFTER you hit level 60, collect those rewards with their extra experience points. The exact reason why might be hard to understand, but basically you don't get assigned to a Squad Arena or Fleet Arena group until you hit a specific level. If you avoid going up levels too quickly, then you'll have more developed toons & ships by the time you arrive at the crucial levels. Once you hit level 60, though, you're assigned a Fleet Arena server, and you will already be on a Squad Arena server, so there's no advantage to delaying any more after that.

So, yeah. Decline the daily rewards before level 60, accept them after.

2. Focus on Fleet first. When level 60 hits, fleet will be new to everyone, but the prepared player might have farmed blueprints of ships before level 60 and saved Galactic War Tokens to buy ship blueprints as soon as the GW store allows you to purchase them at level 60. With the right preparation, you can zoom out ahead of your peers. There are many fewer people who choose to focus on fleet as compared to Squad Arena, so the competition is less fierce. Because of this, you have a real shot at getting near the top of Fleet arena early, and using the large amount of crystals you get from FA rewards to better your ships even faster than your peers, and then get to the point where you're finishing #1 in fleet every day. Once you get there, the rewards are so high (400 crystals per day) that you'll be able to accelerate the work your doing on your toons that aren't pilots.

Fleet first, squad second is just a more efficient way to go.

3. Never refresh a node to accelerate farming characters until you've been level 85 for a good, long time. It takes the same number of attempts to finish a character whether you do them 10/day or 5/day, so do 2 characters 5/day each and you'll finish the pair of characters on the same day without spending any crystals at all. The only difference is that the person spending 25 crystals/day for months would get one of the two characters to 7* half way through while the other is still at 0 shards, but the person not spending has both of the characters at 5* half way through. Early in the game you have so many characters you need to farm, and you're facing enemies with low enough strength that 5* can still be a viable toon, that refreshing the node simply never makes sense.

Someday the time will come when you have the vast majority of characters already at 7* and you would struggle to find a good use for all your energy if you didn't make extra attempts at a toon. At that point you can start refreshing nodes, but that's a long way from now. Even on double drop days, just accept a small amount of double drops on many toons instead of getting lots of double drops on a single toon. It's not worth it.

Omg this is so smart, I wish I did this before I hit 50. Already 50 so I'll be doing skipping dailies from now. Is there any dummies' guide on the forum I can find to learn more about fleets and what to unlock/build?
  • crzydroid
    7233 posts Moderator
    Don't worry about GLs below level 85. Build up some groundwork first. Remember that it can take years to get everything. I've definitely seen new players inflate their power by taking a team to Relic 7 when they have nothing else. That's the other thing--you don't have to take everything all the way to R7 (well, 8 now) unless it's required for something, or there's some added benefit like being a GL (extra health+protection per relic level) or a fleet commander (more cap ship speed--but you don't have to worry about this until you are competing at end game level at the top of your shard). A lot of characters do their job at lower relic levels. Getting good mods is going to be much more important than maxing relics. As a general rule, mods>gear.

The other thing is to have fun and figure out the level of game play you're comfortable with. It's nice to do well enough in arena to get a good crystal income, but train yourself to be ok with not grabbing top spots everyday if you don't feel like climbingor are on vacation or something. It can quickly start to feel like an obligation and become stressful.
  • Fully agree with @crzydroid and @Antario here

Take a peak over at my new player guide thread, there are some pieces on the teams I am building (before going for a GL) and the last post I just made is why I am going for them. Building out your roster a bit to do well in more game modes, will in turn help you build towards that GL faster.

Also there are some great and really fun teams, but don't make sense to go for early as they are inefficient on everything you need (i.e. CLS and Rebel fleet).
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Don't worry about GLs below level 85. Build up some groundwork first. Remember that it can take years to get everything. I've definitely seen new players inflate their power by taking a team to Relic 7 when they have nothing else. That's the other thing--you don't have to take everything all the way to R7 (well, 8 now) unless it's required for something, or there's some added benefit like being a GL (extra health+protection per relic level) or a fleet commander (more cap ship speed--but you don't have to worry about this until you are competing at end game level at the top of your shard). A lot of characters do their job at lower relic levels. Getting good mods is going to be much more important than maxing relics. As a general rule, mods>gear.

The other thing is to have fun and figure out the level of game play you're comfortable with. It's nice to do well enough in arena to get a good crystal income, but train yourself to be ok with not grabbing top spots everyday if you don't feel like climbingor are on vacation or something. It can quickly start to feel like an obligation and become stressful.

Good advice, thanks! I'm still figuring out what mods are considered good, and yeah slowly working up.
    Fully agree with @crzydroid and @Antario here

Take a peak over at my new player guide thread, there are some pieces on the teams I am building (before going for a GL) and the last post I just made is why I am going for them. Building out your roster a bit to do well in more game modes, will in turn help you build towards that GL faster.

Also there are some great and really fun teams, but don't make sense to go for early as they are inefficient on everything you need (i.e. CLS and Rebel fleet).

That experiment you're running is super helpful reference, thank you so much for that. I've been building/farming the Imperial Trooper team, and have just started on Phoenix - the explainers you give are excellent. What do you think about taking Bad Batch + Cody to 7*?
  • Draldij wrote: »
    That experiment you're running is super helpful reference, thank you so much for that. I've been building/farming the Imperial Trooper team, and have just started on Phoenix - the explainers you give are excellent. What do you think about taking Bad Batch + Cody to 7*?

I think Bad Batch will be an excellent team, but not for early game players. They are not farmable now, so you can only whale on them using crystals and it's not worth it.

Most of the new characters introduced into swgoh are not really for the early game experience, as they are either non-farmable or non-accelerated farms (single-shard drops). There are still some single-shard drops I would go after, but you want to try to limit those as they will take up your energy for many months.
  • LordGrahck
    344 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    1) Build up a base/foundation of teams while still leveling up to 85:

You're going to need a rebel team for Emperor Palpatine, Phoenix for Thrawn, Empire for R2D2, First Order for BB8, Separatists for Padme, Jedi for GMY, Ewoks for C3PO, and Bounty Hunters for Chewbacca. Getting them unlocked and at 7 star from the beginning will save a lot of headache later on. Even if you don't have them geared up, still try to get them at 7 star. That's half the battle right there.

2) Farm the right combination for a team:

When farming these teams for your legendaries, it's easy, for example, to just buy up shards from a store for a character you may never use outside the legendary. Sometimes this can't be avoided, such as with Phoenix, but it can be avoided for teams such as bounty Hunters and Ewoks. Instead of farming Teebo, for example, because he's a fast farm, take the time to farm Chirpa instead because his leadership is better than Teebo's. Having the right combination of characters can often make unlocking a legendary easier, and will make the team useful later on outside the legendary.

3) Knowing when/who to gear up to g12+ and who to leave alone:

Phoenix is needed for Thrawn and can unlock Palpatine. However, that doesn't mean they have to be g12+ or relics. Often times, you can do the legendaries with a g8/9 team. Knowing which characters/teams to gear up all the way and which ones you can leave at lower levels will save you time and resources in the long run.

4) Stick to a build until it's done:

It's easy to get bored with leveling and gearing up a team and just sidelining it because something newer and shinier has come along. Don't let that distract you. Stick to your current build until it's done. You'll thank yourself later.

5) Don't let your ego get in the way:

Sometimes you can get into a situation where you let your pride and ego get in the way, and you'll either go for the wrong character/team or completely ignore a more useful team/character simply because of ego and pride. I made this mistake with the Revans. I chose to ignore JKR because EVERYONE was getting him, and the entire Squad Arena was crowded with JKR teams. There was the belief going around that if you wanted to win, you'll use JKR and nothing else. I let my pride get in the way, and refused to get him. Then when Darth Revan came out, I was sick and tired of being on the bottom rungs of the arena that I rushed in to farm him, and dropped everything to get him ... this time because of a wounded ego. When I finally got my Darth Revan ready, I found that I had to farm JKR in order to get Malak, who supercharges a Darth Revan team. So, with my tail between my legs, I swallowed my pride and farmed JKR. When I finally did get back to the build I had put off to farm Darth Revan, I had lost several months of progress on that team, which could've given me a solid counter to Darth Revan had I not let my ego and pride get the better of me. It's a mistake that in many ways, I'm still paying for to this day.
  • LordGrahck wrote: »
    1) Build up a base/foundation of teams while still leveling up to 85:

You're going to need a rebel team for Emperor Palpatine, Phoenix for Thrawn, Empire for R2D2, First Order for BB8, Separatists for Padme, Jedi for GMY, Ewoks for C3PO, and Bounty Hunters for Chewbacca. Getting them unlocked and at 7 star from the beginning will save a lot of headache later on. Even if you don't have them geared up, still try to get them at 7 star. That's half the battle right there.
    This is good, but I wouldn't overdo it and build ALL of those teams on your way to 85, just a few key ones. Phoenix for Palp & Thrawn, who will then give you most of the Empire team with Vader to get R2. Geos as the Seps to get Padme, and then Jedi to get GMY. Wouldn't really bother with BH or Ewoks early, as while the 2 characters they unlock are excellent, I think there are better uses of resources early and you don't want to spread yourself too thin
    2) Farm the right combination for a team

3) Knowing when/who to gear up to g12+ and who to leave alone:

4) Stick to a build until it's done:
    Yes, yes & yes to all of these. Know what team you are trying to put together in the end and see if characters needed to unlock a legendary will be part of the long term plan. And as you said, if there are 7 options of characters to unlock someone, don't just get the 5 easiest, as they may not be the ideal team for the event in the end (i.e. ewoks).

Knowing what gear levels are appropriate is also good. THere are some key characters you will want to take to g13 and relic levels as fast as possible as they really will make the teams work (i.e. Vader and JKA), but others can be left at g12, or even g8/9 like Phoenix as once you unlock the legendaries, their use is mostly over.

And finally yes, if you put a plan in place, stick with it to the end. Don't start building up a team and then move onto another when the current one is half finished. You will be better off taking the team to the desired gear levels and then focusing on another project.
    5) Don't let your ego get in the way:

Also good advice here. There have been times where I lost a battle in Squad or Fleet arena, so I made a head **** reaction and bought a piece of gear instead of farming it, or put some resources into a character I was saving for another project just to get a short term win. While it's fine to do occasionally, don't make it a habit!