Get rid of power values on this screen?

Mephisto_style
5724 posts Member
edited June 2021
Is that data worth having there?
The real estate of those icons is pretty valuable, and I just don't see the power values worth taking up 15 to 20% of it.
I don't think people form squads off of character or squad GP, so it just seems like a horrible place to slap a data value.

Thoughts?
acnb9lwubmct.jpg
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I dont think it matters, so I would say leave it, and move on. Plenty of little QoL ideas that would be more beneficial IMHO.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I dont think it matters, so I would say leave it, and move on. Plenty of little QoL ideas that would be more beneficial IMHO.

Well, while you say that they are currently adjusting those icons. Have you seen the new caricature portraits? It matters.

I just lost a GAC battle because I accidentally took in JKA and 5s instead of GAS and 5s. That prompted my thought to ask, what about the portraits led me to make that horrible decision? Names would be more valuable than GP. I mean, I am fairly certain my GAS has more GP than my JKA, but I would rather not have to resort to memorizing GP to pick toons for battles.

I'd rather have GAS and JKA written their than their galactic powers.

And yes, I know inevitably the mistake was on me, but it doesn't change my point of GP being there unnecessarily and it is taking up real estate for ways that could give the icons more utility. I don't think I am the only player to mistakenly grabbed GAS for JKA or vice versa, and as they are talking about unveiling Fallen Anakin, this has the potential to get worse.

To some extent, some QoL can be viewed as critical game/user interaction. Picking characters based off of icons is pretty critical, and GP has nothing to do with that.
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    Or just pick a toon and see if the name is right before entering battle?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

Well, while you say that they are currently adjusting those icons. Have you seen the new caricature portraits? It matters.

I just lost a GAC battle because I accidentally took in JKA and 5s instead of GAS and 5s. That prompted my thought to ask, what about the portraits led me to make that horrible decision? Names would be more valuable than GP. I mean, I am fairly certain my GAS has more GP than my JKA, but I would rather not have to resort to memorizing GP to pick toons for battles.

And yes, I know inevitably the mistake was on me, but it doesn't change my point of GP being there unnecessarily and it is taking up real estate for ways that could give the icons more utility. I don't think I am the only player to mistakenly grabbed GAS for JKA or vice versa, and as they are talking about unveiling Fallen Anakin, this has the potential to get worse.

To some extent, some QoL can be viewed as critical game/user interaction. Picking characters based off of icons is pretty critical, and GP has nothing to do with that.

You posted a screen shot from GAC where GAS is the very first toon. JKA is your 10th highest GP toon, and Fives is 12th. Please elaborate on how you could have possibly confused GAS for JKA. The portraits look nothing alike.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    One could argue that having the names twice on the same screen is pointless, as you can see the name when they character is selected.

One could also argue that is you didnt see the name when it was selected, it being somewhere else in the screen will not fix that for you.

GAS and JKA are not the in game names, and I'm not going to even venture down the rabbit hole of trying to work out the "standard abbreviations" of each character across multiple languages. Will the full names be readable if made to fit in that area? All that is starting to look like a lot of work for little Q in this QoL suggestion, which is what I was saying to start. There is much more bang for the buck in the QoL department. Not saying this isnt a suggestion for an update, just that it is an inefficient one, IMO.
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    Kyno wrote: »

You posted a screen shot from GAC where GAS is the very first toon. JKA is your 10th highest GP toon, and Fives is 12th. Please elaborate on how you could have possibly confused GAS for JKA. The portraits look nothing alike.

I am trying to understand where you are coming from with this? What is your questioning trying to accomplish other than belligerence?

I posted the screenshot only to show which icon selection screen in the game I was referring to. It was not meant to show any juxtaposition that you are alluding to. I posted the screenshot after I used my JKA mistakenly.

@Kyno we are in disagreement of the importance of this. It is a mobile game. User interface quality for a mobile game is critical. If it weren't they would not have been adjusting JKA's portraits recently, and Rey's. It is no coincidence that they adjusted those of characters with multiple variants, which further indicates that the reasoning to adjust them had to do with accurate selection purposes when using them: JKA, Scav Rey, EP, anyone I am missing?
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Or just pick a toon and see if the name is right before entering battle?

Here's your QoL update.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I am trying to understand where you are coming from with this? What is your questioning trying to accomplish other than belligerence?

I posted the screenshot only to show which icon selection screen in the game I was referring to. It was not meant to show any juxtaposition that you are alluding to. I posted the screenshot after I used my JKA mistakenly.

Kyno we are in disagreement of the importance of this. It is a mobile game. User interface quality for a mobile game is critical. If it weren't they would not have been adjusting JKA's portraits recently, and Rey's. It is no coincidence that they adjusted those of characters with multiple variants, which further indicates that the reasoning to adjust them had to do with accurate selection purposes when using them: JKA, Scav Rey, EP, anyone I am missing?

We agree about UI/UX, and I believe the current location for the name is the best location for it, considering it is a mobile game played by people of all ages and on a range of devices.

I see no connection between character graphical changes and the request you have to remove a non character graphical element and replace it with another non character graphical element.

Kyno we are in disagreement of the importance of this. It is a mobile game. User interface quality for a mobile game is critical. If it weren't they would not have been adjusting JKA's portraits recently, and Rey's. It is no coincidence that they adjusted those of characters with multiple variants, which further indicates that the reasoning to adjust them had to do with accurate selection purposes when using them: JKA, Scav Rey, EP, anyone I am missing?

We agree about UI/UX, and I believe the current location for the name is the best location for it, considering it is a mobile game played by people of all ages and on a range of devices.

I see no connection between character graphical changes and the request you have to remove a non character graphical element and replace it with another non character graphical element.

My mention of the changed character graphics is evidence supporting the idea that CG is aware of the need to have distinct portraits for characters that have multiple variations.

That need is fulfilled by tiny icons that make up maybe 5% of the real estate of a screen. The galactic power does not serve to fulfill that need, and it doesn't particularly fill any need. It is wasted real estate that could be better served by other visuals or information.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

My mention of the changed character graphics is evidence supporting the idea that CG is aware of the need to have distinct portraits for characters that have multiple variations.

That need is fulfilled by tiny icons that make up maybe 5% of the real estate of a screen. The galactic power does not serve to fulfill that need, and it doesn't particularly fill any need. It is wasted real estate that could be better served by other visuals or information.

TBH, they are just running through and adjusting models to update characters, they will eventually hit them all, as they go through that process. I dont think it is as targeted as you think from the information I have heard.

I agree that GP does not identify a character, but it's not supposed to.

Do you really feel that the name of each character can fit there in a meaningful way? (Meaning legible, for example)
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    This continues to be a solution in search of a problem.

TBH, they are just running through and adjusting models to update characters, they will eventually hit them all, as they go through that process. I dont think it is as targeted as you think from the information I have heard.

Do you really feel that the name of each character can fit there in a meaningful way? (Meaning legible, for example)

No, I did suggest acronyms like GAS or JKA, and while I understand that there are other languages out there that follow the game, Star Wars; Lucas Films; and Disney are all originated and still primarily produce in English. Expected something such as an acronym to be derived from English is not ethno-centric.

WHICH IS BESIDE MY ORIGINAL POINT THAT DIDN'T EVEN MENTION ALL THAT. GP SHOULD NOT BE ON THE PORTRAITS. I want the portraits to be on the portraits. Not irrelevant information that does nothing for recognizing the portrait and only harmful takes up space. And yes, it is harmful because it makes the character picture unnecessarily smaller.

The more I juggle this the more I realize that in every aspect I am correct here, and you guys are just being antithetic because that's how you roll. You have not given a single reason to justify why they have that data there.
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    No it's just completely unnecessary
  • TVF wrote: »

You are very correct. Having GP on those selection icons is completely unnecessary.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

No, I did suggest acronyms like GAS or JKA, and while I understand that there are other languages out there that follow the game, Star Wars; Lucas Films; and Disney are all originated and still primarily produce in English. Expected something such as an acronym to be derived from English is not ethno-centric.

WHICH IS BESIDE MY ORIGINAL POINT THAT DIDN'T EVEN MENTION ALL THAT. GP SHOULD NOT BE ON THE PORTRAITS. I want the portraits to be on the portraits. Not irrelevant information that does nothing for recognizing the portrait and only harmful takes up space. And yes, it is harmful because it makes the character picture unnecessarily smaller.

The more I juggle this the more I realize that in every aspect I am correct here, and you guys are just being antithetic because that's how you roll. You have not given a single reason to justify why they have that data there.

Did you know that some of the standard acronyms are not used in other languages. For good reasons from what I am told.

To your original point there, no it doesnt make the picture smaller. The aspect ratio of the picture can not be expanded properly with just adding space at the bottom. That would elongate and distort the image if they tried to make them bigger by removing those numbers and using that space.

So from that aspect you are not correct.

I have not said the data needs to be there. I said that the effort needed to change it and add the name in a place where it will not fit, just to have the name in a second place on the same screen, doesnt seem like a good ROI for development time. It is very little Q added in the QoL category. It also doesnt make the picture smaller by having it there, so no Q gained by removing it.
  • StarSon
    7427 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    It's not so much an issue for longtime players, but certain game modes require a lower GP limit. So while you may not like it, it does serve a purpose.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    It's not so much an issue for longtime players, but certain game modes require a lower GP limit. So while you may not like it, it does serve a purpose.

All game modes restrict characters that don't meet requirements. You cannot select characters that don't meet the requirements for any game mode. What you stated is make believe unless there is a game mode I am not thinking of.
  • StarSon
    7427 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »

All game modes restrict characters that don't meet requirements. You cannot select characters that don't meet the requirements for any game mode. What you stated is make believe unless there is a game mode I am not thinking of.

TW I think is a 6k GP minimum, and I think you can actually still see the character but they are not selectable.

But, even if that is not the case, you would want the power there when setting up squads, so you know which is above the power level.
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

You are very correct. Having GP on those selection icons is completely unnecessary.

Even if you were right (you aren't) it still doesn't mean your suggestion is also completely unnecessary.