Arena Parity and LONG climbs

Straegen
194 posts Member
edited June 2021
Regardless of the GL left in on defense in my arena shard players getting to the top 5 routinely get knocked back past 50 on a daily basis. This makes climbs take hours and is a real slog.

I suggest eliminating the arena cooldown between fights during players payout hour. At least this way players can climb during their payout hour quickly rather than having to spread the climb over 2+ hours.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The problem this may create is that players would then be able to lock position during their PO hour much easier than currently can.
  • Straegen
    194 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    Kyno wrote: »
    The problem this may create is that players would then be able to lock position during their PO hour much easier than currently can.
    That is a relatively easy adjustment. Once a player is in the top 10 or top 5 restore the cooldown.

Being able to climb from 50 to 10 in a few minutes would be a significant improvement for many of us.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I will say, dynamic elements tend to be anything but an "easy adjustment".

I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure they will change something like this, it's a very big change to the game mode in the grand scheme of things.
  • Straegen
    194 posts Member
    edited June 2021

I meant an easy adjustment to the logic of my suggestion. I have no idea how difficult the development on a change like that is.

What I do know is that grinding out the arena daily is an annoying chore unlike anything in the last few years. I don't mind the fighting but having to play every 10 minutes on a timer for a couple hours isn't enjoyable.

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    RPS is awful. WHat's the point of gitting gud if any scrub can climb to the top?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    RPS is awful. WHat's the point of gitting gud if any scrub can climb to the top?

Actrually, one thing that is funny when the scrubs climb with their one GL (usually SEE) is to swap in the counter, hit them, then they can't get past. Sometimes 4 or 5 of us will lineup and swap in SLKR and watch the SEE-only scrubs stop dead in their tracks outside the top 20. Good times.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Straegen wrote: »

I meant an easy adjustment to the logic of my suggestion. I have no idea how difficult the development on a change like that is.

What I do know is that grinding out the arena daily is an annoying chore unlike anything in the last few years. I don't mind the fighting but having to play every 10 minutes on a timer for a couple hours isn't enjoyable.

An easier way would be to just adjust the CD length from 10 min to 5 min or 7 min of whatever cg decides. The battles take up 3 or 4 minutes so a 5 min wait would be a big help. Even 7 minutes would save about 20 minutes on a climb.

This would also limit the locking out issue mentioned. It would be a little easier than it is now with a shorter CD timer but not a lot. You'd still have to burn crystals to keep a spot locked indefinitely.

I also think that this could be implemented without cg paying a ton of crystals out. It'd still be a slog just not as bad as now. So those that currently don't bother probably still won't. So no change in the total crystals paid out.

Also worth mentioning, a zero cd could have the unintended consequence of having drops become far more severe than falling to 50. If players in the hundreds can do 5 battles within 20 minutes there may be significantly more people climbing into the 50s sending those in the top down even further.

I think a smaller adjustment would have a smaller unintended effect.