Relic Scavenger

CoachTedLasso
7 posts Member
edited June 2021
Not sure if this has been discussed by anyone or not, but I felt like it deserved some attention. To the best of my knowledge, there currently is no way to craft gear for the relic scavenger unless it is needed by one of your characters. For instance, if I needed Chromium Transistors and wanted to craft the Mk7 BAW that is worth 300 points, there would be no way to do it unless one of my characters needed that gear piece. It feels like we should be able to craft gear from the Relic Scavenger page. I don't believe that adding this feature would be terribly difficult and would be wayyyyy more convenient that the current system. Thoughts?

Replies

• Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Yeah, I hope we get a gear inventory

I am afraid of having some of my low geared toons being GL Prereqs because I am running out of toons to use to craft gear
  • It would be nice to have but I don't have issues with the current system. I'm nowhere near having all my low level characters leveled to the point of having issues finding a ton to use for a craft.

But I can see this as an issue whales might have. (Though if you are spending money to gear crap characters, that's another issue entirely). But CG would not like to discourage this. And I can see where this could be needed if they ever ease the gear crunch below g12.

If gearing to g11 is ever easy, then there is benefit to gear everything that high to bloat gp for tb but still keep them below your top 80 teams for gac.
  • I'm definitely not a whale, I'm f2p and just under 4mil GP. Even so, there is a LOT of gear for the scavenger that has to be crafted for use and none of my characters need it, so I can't craft it. I don't see how adding a crafting system to the scavenger would have a negative impact on CG's bottom line. If anything, it would increase their revenue by raising the gear consumption rate. It would just save us a lot of headache and we would be able to gear up characters without the worry of losing a crafting source for the relic scavenger. Economically, it makes sense for them to add this feature.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Are you sure about that? What pieces are you seeing that you cant just use the parts in the scavenger?
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    The only one I know of that saves a ton is the mk3 holo projector. And it isn't too hard to find a character I'm not gearing anytime soon that needs one. And I'm at almost 6 mil gp. So at 4 mil gp, it shouldn't be an issue.
  • I can use the parts, but the crafted gear earns more points that the components to craft it. For example, the Mk3 Holo Projector Salvage can be used for Aurodium Heatsinks. They award 10 points per holo projector salvage, but award 500 points for the crafted holo projector. It takes 20 of the salvage to craft the projector, so if you just use the salvage parts, you come up way short compared to using crafted gear.

It takes 20 of the Mk3 Holo Projector Salvage to craft the Mk3 Holo Projector. The math works out this way:
    Points for crafted Mk3 Holo Projector = 500 points
    Points for 20 Mk3 Holo Projector Salvage = 200 points

This is just an example (I have no shortage of need for the Holo Projectors). But there are plenty of other situations like this with lower-level gear that isn't needed by many characters.
  • @Kyno I think what he’s saying is that there are certain gear pieces that get you more relic salvage mats once fully crafted than if you were to just use salvage gear. Which is true. However unless you have a character that currently needs that crafted gear piece there is no current method in crafting the full gear piece to trade with the scavenger.
  • Another example is the Mk7 BAW (worth 300 points toward Chromium Transistors):

Gear needed to craft:
    5 x Mk 7 BAW salvage
    1 x Mk 2 Fabritech Data Pad
    2 x Mk 1 Stun Cuffs

Points for salvage:
    5 x Mk 7 BAW salvage = 30 points
    1 x Mk 2 Fabritech Data Pad = Can't be used for Chromium Transistors
    2 x Mk 1 Stun Cuffs = Can't be used for Chromium Transistors
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno I think what he’s saying is that there are certain gear pieces that get you more relic salvage mats once fully crafted than if you were to just use salvage gear. Which is true. However unless you have a character that currently needs that crafted gear piece there is no current method in crafting the full gear piece to trade with the scavenger.

There are only a sub set of those that its actually true, due to them needing more stuff to craft.

I get the point, but I believe at 4M GP, this player may be incorrect about the pieces they want but cant craft.
  • @Kyno I think what he’s saying is that there are certain gear pieces that get you more relic salvage mats once fully crafted than if you were to just use salvage gear. Which is true. However unless you have a character that currently needs that crafted gear piece there is no current method in crafting the full gear piece to trade with the scavenger.

Yes! Exactly....I thought I had been saying that lol
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno I think what he’s saying is that there are certain gear pieces that get you more relic salvage mats once fully crafted than if you were to just use salvage gear. Which is true. However unless you have a character that currently needs that crafted gear piece there is no current method in crafting the full gear piece to trade with the scavenger.

There are only a sub set of those that its actually true, due to them needing more stuff to craft.

I get the point, but I believe at 4M GP, this player may be incorrect about the pieces they want but cant craft.

Unless I gear up characters that I'm not ready to, I am not able to craft the gear I would like to use in relic scavenger. Could I make it happen? Absolutely. Should I have to? It would be nice if I didn't.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I can use the parts, but the crafted gear earns more points that the components to craft it. For example, the Mk3 Holo Projector Salvage can be used for Aurodium Heatsinks. They award 10 points per holo projector salvage, but award 500 points for the crafted holo projector. It takes 20 of the salvage to craft the projector, so if you just use the salvage parts, you come up way short compared to using crafted gear.

It takes 20 of the Mk3 Holo Projector Salvage to craft the Mk3 Holo Projector. The math works out this way:
    Points for crafted Mk3 Holo Projector = 500 points
    Points for 20 Mk3 Holo Projector Salvage = 200 points

This is just an example (I have no shortage of need for the Holo Projectors). But there are plenty of other situations like this with lower-level gear that isn't needed by many characters.

Yes those are a great example, and are a good value when crafted. At 4M GP, you still have many options to craft those.
    https://swgoh.gg/db/gear/102/mk-3-sienar-holo-projector/

I am not trying to say this is not an issue, just trying to be helpful.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Unless I gear up characters that I'm not ready to, I am not able to craft the gear I would like to use in relic scavenger. Could I make it happen? Absolutely. Should I have to? It would be nice if I didn't.

In many cases it's best to find a work around and make it work for you, while waiting for change. Should you have to, no, but can you, yes. It's not "the solution" by any means, but it is a solution to your current dilemma.
  • Oh no, don't get me wrong, I appreciate any help. But at the bottom of the post you quoted, I said that was just an example and that I had no shortage of need for the Holo Projectors.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, I appreciate any help. But at the bottom of the post you quoted, I said that was just an example and that I had no shortage of need for the Holo Projectors.

Keep in mind that, that I believe all other examples where the crafted piece increases in value, all require more than just 1 type of salvage.

In many cases it's best to find a work around and make it work for you, while waiting for change. Should you have to, no, but can you, yes. It's not "the solution" by any means, but it is a solution to your current dilemma.

This solution does not work for everyone. The mk7 BAW needed for Chromium Transistors is not craftable at all by someone like me who has taken all toons who need the piece past that gear level.

And I had done that long before relics became a thing, before anyone suggests that this is my fault.
  • before anyone suggests that this is my fault.

It’s your fault ;) hehe
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

This solution does not work for everyone. The mk7 BAW needed for Chromium Transistors is not craftable at all by someone like me who has taken all toons who need the piece past that gear level.

And I had done that long before relics became a thing, before anyone suggests that this is my fault.

Which is why I said it's a solution to their current dilemma, and not "the solution"
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Also is the MK 7 BAW worth more than its parts?

How is that G8 Eath Koth working out for you? :wink:
    Also is the MK 7 BAW worth more than its parts?
    Yes, as was posted above…
    Another example is the Mk7 BAW (worth 300 points toward Chromium Transistors):

Gear needed to craft:
    5 x Mk 7 BAW salvage
    1 x Mk 2 Fabritech Data Pad
    2 x Mk 1 Stun Cuffs

Points for salvage:
    5 x Mk 7 BAW salvage = 30 points
    1 x Mk 2 Fabritech Data Pad = Can't be used for Chromium Transistors
    2 x Mk 1 Stun Cuffs = Can't be used for Chromium Transistors
    How is that G8 Eath Koth working out for you? :wink:
    Wink all you like - this has been a problem since the inception of relics and needs addressed.