JMK breaks the status quo.

Replies

• TVF
    36489 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Unlike jml and see, I don't believe CG ever said jmk would be on par.
    I think they did say that actually?

I don't recall seeing it but obviously, I can't prove the nonexistence of a statement. But if I'm wrong then so be it.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/244212/road-ahead-april-2021#latest
    Jedi Master Kenobi will be an extremely powerful unit and on par with other Galactic Legends.

Hopefully he holds up as being a little above the rest though.

Fair enough. I know I read that post when it came out but I missed it. I still think making each one a little better is ok though.

I agree with that.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member

I don't recall seeing it but obviously, I can't prove the nonexistence of a statement. But if I'm wrong then so be it.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/244212/road-ahead-april-2021#latest
    Jedi Master Kenobi will be an extremely powerful unit and on par with other Galactic Legends.

"little above the rest" is a massive understatement. It seems like he can't be countered without very specific GL teams while the other GLs can. Padme counter doesn't work against well moded JMK+CAT.
    To me, absolutely. I'd much rather only have to do 4-5 battles a day and not worry about complete randos hitting me out of nowhere during my climb just because they finally unlocked one GL.

Are you ok with the upcoming Dark Side GL replacing JMK? Powercreep is somewhat necessary but massive jumps just hurt the game and overall enjoyment.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    th3evo wrote: »

"little above the rest" is a massive understatement. It seems like he can't be countered without very specific GL teams while the other GLs can. Padme counter doesn't work against well moded JMK+CAT.
    To me, absolutely. I'd much rather only have to do 4-5 battles a day and not worry about complete randos hitting me out of nowhere during my climb just because they finally unlocked one GL.

Are you ok with the upcoming Dark Side GL replacing JMK? Powercreep is somewhat necessary but massive jumps just hurt the game and overall enjoyment.

Yes I am, because if it can, then I will get it.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    DR was my absolute favorite meta, if that tells you anything.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member

That's just sad.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

That's just sad.

People enjoy different things about the game. It's more sad to not understand and accept that.
  • Some level of power creep is needed. Using the next ds toon as an example, he should be better than jmk but jmk should still be able to survive in arena. Jml and See should also survive to and extent since they are recent metas. Slkr and Rey to and even lesser extent since they are less recent metas.

On the one hand, a new meta shouldn't destroy the previous one to the extent that it has no value in arena but you also shouldn't be able to farm one GL and expect it to be top 10 arena viable for the next 3 years.

• th3evo
    358 posts Member

That's just sad.

People enjoy different things about the game. It's more sad to not understand and accept that.

• TVF
    36489 posts Member

That's just sad.

Yes, I agree with myself. I'm not calling you sad for liking what you like. I'm telling you what I like.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member
    Some level of power creep is needed. Using the next ds toon as an example, he should be better than jmk but jmk should still be able to survive in arena. Jml and See should also survive to and extent since they are recent metas. Slkr and Rey to and even lesser extent since they are less recent metas.

On the one hand, a new meta shouldn't destroy the previous one to the extent that it has no value in arena but you also shouldn't be able to farm one GL and expect it to be top 10 arena viable for the next 3 years.

They said JMK will be on par with previous GLs. He shouldn't be overperforming them as significantly as he does.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member

That's just sad.

Yes, I agree with myself. I'm not calling you sad for liking what you like. I'm telling you what I like.

I shared my opinion about your tastes and then you implied that I don't understand that people like different things about the game and accept what you like.
  • th3evo wrote: »
    Some level of power creep is needed. Using the next ds toon as an example, he should be better than jmk but jmk should still be able to survive in arena. Jml and See should also survive to and extent since they are recent metas. Slkr and Rey to and even lesser extent since they are less recent metas.

They said JMK will be on par with previous GLs. He shouldn't be overperforming them as significantly as he does.

They also said that see was on par and he underperformed for quite awhile.

I think over performing a bit is better than being underpowered.

Whether jmk is over performing to an unacceptable level still remains to be seen. I've seen that there are already counters and as time goes on there will probably be more to come.
  • JMK is on par with the other GLs. But JMK plus CAT is more powerful.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

That's just sad.

I shared my opinion about your tastes and then you implied that I don't understand that people like different things about the game and accept what you like.

Lol

This is exactly what I wanted from CAT / JMK.

As alien as it may seem to some, I love the rewards I get from arena, and I like to get them with as little effort as possible.

Having to watch my back for a 1 GL 2.9M GP player who climbs at all hours of the day is not what I want.

Fighting 8,9,10 battles a day in squad arena is not what I want, even if there is variety in the squads I use in doing so. I already have to endure this in fleet arena.

Seeing that 1 GL player reduced to feeding off scraps and sticking in the 20s all day is exactly what I want.

And I am completely OK with the next GL replacing JMK, because I am confident I’ll unlock them much much faster than almost everyone else in my shard.

Of course, JMK isn’t “over performing as significantly” - JMK without CAT is readily beatable by all 4 previous GLs.

JMK + the right supporting cast, which definitely includes CAT, is certainly the most powerful current meta - but since they released CAT in a very accessible way to any well developed roster, I definitely have no issue with it. In fact, I think it was a great solution.

It isn’t unbeatable by any means either, I have successfully defeated JMK/CAT teams with all three of my other GLs (Rey, SLK, and JML) and seen others in my shard beat it with SEE, and I’m confident that once I complete my own ultimate farm for JMK and finish gearing my CAT, I will have very few issues with mirror matches as well.

I’m definitely pleased with the way they approached the power creep this time.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

As alien as it may seem to some, I love the rewards I get from arena, and I like to get them with as little effort as possible.

Having to watch my back for a 1 GL 2.9M GP player who climbs at all hours of the day is not what I want.

Fighting 8,9,10 battles a day in squad arena is not what I want, even if there is variety in the squads I use in doing so. I already have to endure this in fleet arena.

Seeing that 1 GL player reduced to feeding off scraps and sticking in the 20s all day is exactly what I want.

And I am completely OK with the next GL replacing JMK, because I am confident I’ll unlock them much much faster than almost everyone else in my shard.

giphy.gif
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    TheJEFFtm wrote: »

Of course, JMK isn’t “over performing as significantly” - JMK without CAT is readily beatable by all 4 previous GLs.

JMK + the right supporting cast, which definitely includes CAT, is certainly the most powerful current meta - but since they released CAT in a very accessible way to any well developed roster, I definitely have no issue with it. In fact, I think it was a great solution.

It isn’t unbeatable by any means either, I have successfully defeated JMK/CAT teams with all three of my other GLs (Rey, SLK, and JML) and seen others in my shard beat it with SEE, and I’m confident that once I complete my own ultimate farm for JMK and finish gearing my CAT, I will have very few issues with mirror matches as well.

I’m definitely pleased with the way they approached the power creep this time.

Mirror seem very easy so far. And I'm fine with other GLs beating JMK, provided it takes a little effort, which most people are allergic to.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member
    JMK is on par with the other GLs. But JMK plus CAT is more powerful.

If you really want to nitpick then we would have to fight GLs 1v1 to evaluate whether they are on par or not because they only mentioned JMK and no teammates.
    JMK is on par with the other GLs. But JMK plus CAT is more powerful.

If you really want to nitpick then we would have to fight GLs 1v1 to evaluate whether they are on par or not because they only mentioned JMK and no teammates.

But the supporting cast (CAT) is the new shiny. She was always going to elevate one of the GLs because the devs don’t want people to unlock 1 GL and have no need to even contemplate pushing for another.

This is exactly how the devs market the game to attract people who pay. 15,000 people unlocked CAT (according to swgoh.gg). Some of them may well have splashed some cash for additional crystals / gear whatever just to ensure they got the red crate 3 times so they could unlock her.

People in this and another thread have spoken about how paying just accelerates things you could do for free - and that is largely true - but there are occasions when missing out on something like CAT can hamper PvP progress / rewards.

For some people the PvP difficulty that missing out on the new shiny would present them is enough to open the wallet. And that’s exactly why the devs do it.

For clarity, I didn’t open my wallet for either JMK or CAT. In fact, for CAT I didn’t even by a crystal refresh in any of the 3 conquests when she was top prize.

• th3evo
    358 posts Member

Do you as a 5 year old player really have someone with 2.9M GP in your shard? Did they suddenly come back?
    Thanks to the power of money they will most likely be able to buy their way to the next GL and bother your still.
  • Starslayer
    2408 posts Member
    Some level of power creep is needed. Using the next ds toon as an example, he should be better than jmk but jmk should still be able to survive in arena.

Not sure about that. As they’re a pair, they would be probably be similar in power, whilst different. The next 2 GLs may up the ante though.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I believe he is on par, and only when adding CAT do things change.

Not every combination of characters is as good as others. Same applies for many GL teams.

Do you as a 5 year old player really have someone with 2.9M GP in your shard? Did they suddenly come back?
    Thanks to the power of money they will most likely be able to buy their way to the next GL and bother your still.
    Yes, I absolutely do have someone with 2.9M GP who has been like a wasp at a picnic of late.

I don’t think money will help them for a while yet. There are so many toons they need to unlock / gear.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

Maybe not 2.9m but we are in an April 2017 and have had several sub 5m players with one GL show up out of nowhere and cause payout issues for others. These people don't spend money, if they did they would be able to keep up with power creep. They are taking advantage of rock paper scissors instead.
  • TVF wrote: »

Maybe not 2.9m but we are in an April 2017 and have had several sub 5m players with one GL show up out of nowhere and cause payout issues for others. These people don't spend money, if they did they would be able to keep up with power creep. They are taking advantage of rock paper scissors instead.

I'd have to disagree. While some level of power creep is healthy for the game, I don't think it should be at a level as to lock out ftp players. Currently See and JML are recent enough that they should (and do) have a chance against the new meta.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member

I'd have to disagree. While some level of power creep is healthy for the game, I don't think it should be at a level as to lock out ftp players. Currently See and JML are recent enough that they should (and do) have a chance against the new meta.

I didn't say lock out f2p players. I don't consider Rey or SLKR recent enough, and SEE and JML are pushing it. F2p players in 4 year old shard should need to get the newest thing to compete at the top of arena, not any one GL.
  • TVF wrote: »

I didn't say lock out f2p players. I don't consider Rey or SLKR recent enough, and SEE and JML are pushing it. F2p players in 4 year old shard should need to get the newest thing to compete at the top of arena, not any one GL.

I agree that the next few GLs should push Rey and Slkr from the top of arena. But see and jml are literally the newest GLs prior to this one. They should still have some viability for the next meta or two.

• th3evo
    358 posts Member

How dare they climb in the arena without spending money! How awful of them. lol

How dare they climb in the arena without spending money! How awful of them. lol
    You’re revealing your true feelings here. It is erroneous to assume that everyone at the top of arena shards has spent money.

I haven’t spent anything on the last 3 GLs or CAT. Have spent barely anything since getting GAS first time.