[MEGA] Road Ahead: July 2021

Replies

• MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    Since we know they are not fully neutering all non-gl counters to gls, I wonder what will be the criteria they will apply to future emergent cases.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    DinoMight wrote: »
    SerylT2 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    But wouldnt that then also reduce the feel good moments to keep the balance on the average?

Balance Kyno? You mean like when they said they wanted to ensure tanks being more survivable and not dying in one hit? Even as they released a character in CAT who one hit kills all but GL's with her first force leap? Hell Cubs Fan Han even showed a video today of CAT under JMK doing a 900K hit on like her 5th force leap to GL Rey one shot killing her also.. so exactly what balance are you talking about here? I feel our definition of balance is two different things.

Cat’s annihilate turn 1 is only when she’s paired with a gl. GLs are on a whole other level of power, they stated it pretty clearly in the road ahead, as I’m pretty sure you noticed.

Edit: follow-up question: what is a ‘fair game’ for you ?

One in which a roster with more relic investment, especially in specific counters to a GL has a chance of beating that zgL without a GL of its own.
    GAS counter to SLKR takes way more investment than SLKR himself. So why does it get removed for the sake of "balancing with respect to investment?"

And don't tell me is balance is usefulness elsewhere, because SLKR is king of PvE content.

Which gas counter to slkr are your referring to ?

GAS, Fives, Chewie, Han, 3PO

You need about 4 relic characters for Gas to be confortable during the event. Let’s say 5, all decent characters (gk, sep droids). You don’t need relics to unlock chewie, Han nor 3po. So you need 10 relic characters for this counter (5 for gas event and 5 for the team). Slkr needs 13, including the mighty Phasma and Granpa Solo. You do need a team of g12 bh and g11-12 Ewoks for 3po and a team of g12 geos(for instance) for Padme. However, at this level of play, this is not really a problem. You’ll have a bh team for a couple of regular events anyway, and probably g12 geos for the wat mission. Furthermore, most players will want to unlock chewie and 3po, Slkr counter or not.

You can be upset about nerfing counters, to each his own, but i don’t see how the gas counter takes way more investment.

Ignoring the many more shard farms on high level nodes as well as all the g8-12 stuff for those extra teams is disingenuous at best when comparing to the higher number of relics.

So, 10 relics plus 10 g12 vs 13 relics. Hmmmm, I wonder what takes longer, especially considering the shard farm disparity as well...

Then consider the absolute insane mods you need on fives, chewie, and 3po to make this work.
  • SerylT2
    146 posts Member
    Options
    Well they did say GLEE vs troopers was WAI and now he's getting buffed to neuter that counter. So....WAI needs to have an asterisk next to it when CG writes about it, evidently.

There would be an asterisk next to everything C.G. says if we had to point out all the hypocrisies lol

• Starslayer
    2420 posts Member
    Options
    But wouldnt that then also reduce the feel good moments to keep the balance on the average?

Balance Kyno? You mean like when they said they wanted to ensure tanks being more survivable and not dying in one hit? Even as they released a character in CAT who one hit kills all but GL's with her first force leap? Hell Cubs Fan Han even showed a video today of CAT under JMK doing a 900K hit on like her 5th force leap to GL Rey one shot killing her also.. so exactly what balance are you talking about here? I feel our definition of balance is two different things.

Cat’s annihilate turn 1 is only when she’s paired with a gl. GLs are on a whole other level of power, they stated it pretty clearly in the road ahead, as I’m pretty sure you noticed.

One in which a roster with more relic investment, especially in specific counters to a GL has a chance of beating that zgL without a GL of its own.
    GAS counter to SLKR takes way more investment than SLKR himself. So why does it get removed for the sake of "balancing with respect to investment?"

And don't tell me is balance is usefulness elsewhere, because SLKR is king of PvE content.

You need about 4 relic characters for Gas to be confortable during the event. Let’s say 5, all decent characters (gk, sep droids). You don’t need relics to unlock chewie, Han nor 3po. So you need 10 relic characters for this counter (5 for gas event and 5 for the team). Slkr needs 13, including the mighty Phasma and Granpa Solo. You do need a team of g12 bh and g11-12 Ewoks for 3po and a team of g12 geos(for instance) for Padme. However, at this level of play, this is not really a problem. You’ll have a bh team for a couple of regular events anyway, and probably g12 geos for the wat mission. Furthermore, most players will want to unlock chewie and 3po, Slkr counter or not.

You can be upset about nerfing counters, to each his own, but i don’t see how the gas counter takes way more investment.

Ignoring the many more shard farms on high level nodes as well as all the g8-12 stuff for those extra teams is disingenuous at best when comparing to the higher number of relics.

So, 10 relics plus 10 g12 vs 13 relics. Hmmmm, I wonder what takes longer, especially considering the shard farm disparity as well...

Then consider the absolute insane mods you need on fives, chewie, and 3po to make this work.

You have a point with mods, it should be taken into account if as you said, exceptional mods are needed to make a counter work.

I’ll make a step in your direction. If you start the game today, you’re probably right, it would take longer to farm your counter team than Slkr. I didn’t run the numbers, but seems about right. If I may, going for a specific GL counter with all your resources when you start the game is a weird strategy, but why not.
    However, for players who already have started developing a roster, which are the majority of players (I don’t have numbers to back it up, just a wild guess), farming a GL Kylo team would use more resources than farming the gas counter.

• Options

You have a point with mods, it should be taken into account if as you said, exceptional mods are needed to make a counter work.

I’ll make a step in your direction. If you start the game today, you’re probably right, it would take longer to farm your counter team than Slkr. I didn’t run the numbers, but seems about right. If I may, going for a specific GL counter with all your resources when you start the game is a weird strategy, but why not.
    However, for players who already have started developing a roster, which are the majority of players (I don’t have numbers to back it up, just a wild guess), farming a GL Kylo team would use more resources than farming the gas counter.

I agree with you on this.
    Now, given the state of the game up until this recent announcement, there are a lot of people in my shoes, who for one reason or another avoided a focused GL farm and built wide with specific counters in mind to cover as many of their bases as possible.

For me, this makes PvP way more interesting- I have to use multiple teams, not even including the remodding, to climb in arena each day. I have to more carefully select my GAC roster and think about what the opponent has and may use. It is a much more compelling and rewarding game for me.
    Now CG has said, "no, your way of playing is wrong," and used the excuse of "investment" to justify their money grab. It is insincere and flat out wrong. And to top it off, they said they wouldn't even consider roster resets, leaving folks like me with near 4M GP but nowhere near a GL with absolutely nothing competitive in PvP, now, because of the ability for single teams to decide an entire match via stonewalling. The problem with GLs isn't that they are too strong, it is that they are now infinitely strong against anything but another GL.

Teams like CLS and GAS should be able to knock out a GL together, using multiple battles. But often, the case is that if your best team can't beat the GL, no amount of successive battles will succeed. That is poor balance and game design for GAC, arguably the most fun part of this game.
    Even with this state of affairs, it was previously possible to have multiple counter teams so that you might be able to "kitchen sink" it, within reason.

In any case, their motives are obvious, though they deny it. This is not for balance. It is purely for money. Because resetting our rosters would not affect the balance they desire in any way whatsoever.
  • Options
    1 GL team should not be able to stonewall 10 legendary teams. In my opinion. To do so ruins TW and GAC and makes it a pure GL count match with little to no strategy. The rest of the teams become filler and the only thing that matters is where you use your GLs. Way to invalidate 95% of the rosters and give no other reason to farm those toons.
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Well they did say GLEE vs troopers was WAI and now he's getting buffed to neuter that counter. So....WAI needs to have an asterisk next to it when CG writes about it, evidently.

There would be an asterisk next to everything C.G. says if we had to point out all the hypocrisies lol

Honestly, I wish that they all had the asterisk next to it.

I've fallen for CG's line so many times that I should seek a support group for gullibility.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    R_Val_17 wrote: »
    This is low down. I love how you always do this on a Friday.

So what people can find counters you didn't think of in your "extensive" testing. That's what makes this game fun. Like a puzzle.

I really enjoyed working with my guild to come up with JMK and CAT counters when she came out. That was actually VERY fun. It's no means an easy fight but still manageable.

Guess that is something that was not supposed to happen.

Sad.
    There are some GL counters that still exist, that CG hasn't nerfed or affected with this

Will have to wait and see if the broader community learns of them or not

Cap
  • Starslayer
    2420 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    1 GL team should not be able to stonewall 10 legendary teams. In my opinion. To do so ruins TW and GAC and makes it a pure GL count match with little to no strategy. The rest of the teams become filler and the only thing that matters is where you use your GLs. Way to invalidate 95% of the rosters and give no other reason to farm those toons.

We’ll see after the update, but you’ll probably be able to beat a GL with multiples teams, as you can do now. It will be harder to do depending on which GL.

About the GL count, I don’t see how it’s true. Let’s say you’re right and GLs will be unbeatable by non-GLs, even if you use more than one team. It will be more of a guessing game. You have more GLs than your opponent and put all your GLs on D. Then if he kept at least one of his gl, you wont be able to pass neither. Ok, you can put your extra GLs on D and keep some to beat his in case he puts them in D. Then if he keeps his GLs for attack, he’ll be able to break your wall.
    In the no GL versus a GL situation. With the 12 good characters the no GL guy farmed while his opponent farmed prerequisites, he should be able to build a wall of old meta teams that his opponent won’t be able to break with his prerequisites.

I’m not saying that having more GLs won’t be an advantage in gac. But it’s not game over.

Post edited by Starslayer on
  • Starslayer
    2420 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
  • Wimma
    152 posts Member
    Options
    About the GL count, I don’t see how it’s true. Let’s say you’re right and GLs will be unbeatable by non-GLs, even if you use more than one team. It will be more of a guessing game. You have more GLs than your opponent and put all your GLs on D. Then if he kept at least one of his gl, you wont be able to pass neither. Ok, you can put your extra GLs on D and keep some to beat his in case he puts them in D. Then if he keeps his GLs for attack, he’ll be able to break your wall.
    In the no GL versus a GL situation. With the 12 good characters the no GL guy farmed while his opponent farmed prerequisites, he should be able to build a wall of old meta teams that his opponent won’t be able to break with his prerequisites.

I’m not saying that having more GLs won’t be an advantage in gac. But it’s not game over.

Issue is for anyone that focused on counter teams instead of GLs, you'll have a GL disadvantage for quite a while, which will be huge when 0 vs 1 or 1 vs 2, as those 1 or 2 go on the front line and block half the map.
    That means you will not clear them.
    And you can't really set 3 teams in a zone and block it off - once you get bigger rosters, they will have the meta teams to punch through anyway.
    Yes, you're still a (much lower) chance to win, but Kyber would be a huge struggle.
    Bigger issue is how you beat GLs in conquest (pray for stupid good discs and RNG?) and all content going forward, which will likely be tuned for GLs?
    I can't see non-GL lists being viable at all, you'll miss most reards you could get today, and fall way behind.
    I'll grab my last Kyber tomorrow, then I'm done.
    Game has been a lot of fun, good luck it you stick it out.
    All the best.

https://swgoh.gg/p/964397177/
  • Natetiffer
    291 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    If my GAC match up has GL now and I don't how much more pointless will it be after the nerf? Or will the number of GLs per player factor in to the matching process?
    This is the Way
  • Options
    Natetiffer wrote: »
    If my GAC match up has GL now and I don't how much more pointless will it be after the nerf? Or will the number of GLs per player factor in to the matching process?
    There is no way the number of GLs will be factored in to matchmaking, and nor should it.
  • Options
    There is no way the number of GLs will be factored in to matchmaking, and nor should it.

After these changes go into effect and it’s proven via the data that you NEED a GL to counter another GL, why not? If someone with no GL’s gets paired up with someone who has one or two GL’s how is that fair when CG has nerfed the non GL counters people have built up?
  • Options
    Wimma wrote: »

And you can't really set 3 teams in a zone and block it off - once you get bigger rosters, they will have the meta teams to punch through anyway.

https://swgoh.gg/p/964397177/

Once you get bigger rosters, you should get a GL. Agreed, you could work around using only counters for maximum efficiency in gac (considering you roster, that’s exactly what you did), as you don’t need as much resources to get every counter ready as you need to get every gl, I guess it’s a very efficient strategy if you master the counters. You do need to work for it though, as moves have to be mastered to be successful with counters.

CG want GL to be a force to be reckon with because they need huge investment (especially considering units that you wouldn’t want to gear if,you didn’t have to). I don’t know if it’s a good thing for the game or not, but that’s the way they want their game to be. Imo, it’s intuitive: you want the best teams, you unlock the best characters.
    Now, does it threaten pvp balance ? I don’t think so, paying customers will keep having an edge in arena because they can unlock the new toy earlier, as it was always the case (barring dedicated ftp who could follow the rhythm); paying customers still won’t get an edge in gac, as you’re match against players who spent about the same amount of resources. Only ‘counter’ strategy will receive a blow, and it wasn’t a strategy related to the amount of cash invested. In gac, only how you spent the resources matter, not where these resources come from.
    Problem is: some players used reliable gl counters instead of GLs to avoid chasing the meta, and it was a valid strategy as it wasn’t forbidden. Those players overgeared characters in order to get their counters ready, characters that now hurt their matchmaking in gac without being so useful. Devolving nerfed characters r8 to r7 is a step in the right direction, but imo it would be fair to offer a little more, like devolving to r5 (minimum for Crancor, just like they did for DT). Problem is: lots,of these characters (Vader, thrawn, wat, jkl..) are prerequisites for GLs, so.if you devolve them below prerequisite level, it could be difficult and create a double standard. Only thing ‘counter players’ could do, if they’re willing, is to ride the wave and go for a GL using the prerequisites they already geared up. It will take months, no argument there, but it’s not a lost cause.
  • Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

After these changes go into effect and it’s proven via the data that you NEED a GL to counter another GL, why not? If someone with no GL’s gets paired up with someone who has one or two GL’s how is that fair when CG has nerfed the non GL counters people have built up?
    It’s not my decision to make, but throughout the history of the game they have never taken specific roster composition into account so it is naive to assume they’ll begin to do so now.
  • Options

If you have no GLs, use the 12+ characters you relic’d while your opponent relic’d First Order/Resistance to build a wall he can’t break.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member
    Options

It’s not my decision to make, but throughout the history of the game they have never taken specific roster composition into account so it is naive to assume they’ll begin to do so now.

They have never done such drastic changes to characters either. Changes we got in the past were minor compared to these.
    Also Imperial Troopers were WAI against SEE according to CG in the past and now they are changing that.
    History doesn't have a lot weight in this case IMO.
  • Options
    th3evo wrote: »

They have never done such drastic changes to characters either. Changes we got in the past were minor compared to these.
    Also Imperial Troopers were WAI against SEE according to CG in the past and now they are changing that.
    We shall see. I think it’s naive to expect them to change matchmaking so that GL count is reflected.
  • Options

We shall see. I think it’s naive to expect them to change matchmaking so that GL count is reflected.

Especially because it would not encourage unlocking GL at all.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

Why not? It ensures you won't be outgl'ed in any case. I think the question is slowly becoming how many gls rather than gl or not.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

There are plenty of incentives to getting a GL and as more content comes out, the list will only get longer. But yes this conversation has come up.
  • Options
    I’d gladly take level 90 over R9, bring it on!
  • LendersQuiz
    1170 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    My money is that R9 will require the same kind of mats that R8 uses, just more of them AND it is going to require the 4th type of signal data. The one that there is already space reserved for it.
    v1j8sdqgbk5g.png
  • Options
    I'd prefer the stupidly OP Droideka in LS Geo addressed 😂... anyways, hope the developers will listen to the community as it's heavily dissatisfied and there are other matters that should be corrected in the game and hold a somewhat balance between F2P and Whales... even the overpriced packs are ridiculous with so few items in them.
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options
    Droideka in LS Geo is perfectly manageable.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options
    Why do you want level 90
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11538 posts Moderator
    Options
    I'm happy that level 85 is the current max