Kit Reveal: Maul

Replies

  • dgree
    456 posts Member
    dgree wrote: »
    "that much offense", in this case "that" referring to... ???
    :|

    Based off the wording of the Dev Insight he gains the 10% of his Max Health as offense (With 5 stacks of Anguish)
    So he gains offense based directly on the amount of health lost (not the percentage)
  • Nauros
    4627 posts Member
    CG: We are nerfing defense ignore so tanks last longer.
    Also CG: Here's Maul, he deals true damage that ignores defense, which is great against tanks. It can't crit so it doesn't count, nevermind that it ramps to insane damage anyway.
  • Mirkraag
    509 posts Member
    edited August 25
    Yeah not on basic but five times in a row on turn 1 when kenobi. Or 3 times turn 1 without.

    It is like basic.

    This is a joke with the huge nerf we have on older toons. Soon they will remove other skill to put it back on new ones.

    Pathetic game design
  • Nauros
    4627 posts Member
    Mirkraag wrote: »
    Yeah not on basic but five times in a row on turn 1 when kenobi. Or 3 times turn 1 without.

    It is like basic.

    This is a joke with the huge nerf we have on older toons. Soon they will remove other skill to put it back on new ones.

    Pathetic game design

    That's exactly what I am expecting with the "new" design space they claim they opened by making GLs work like raid bosses. There will be some specialized "GL killers" (with a hefty price tag, of course) that don't have that clause. And they were technically telling the truth about the design space, they just didn't mention that they open it by removing the characters already there.
  • Deadlears
    1 posts Member
    edited August 25
    What bug me the most is the basic condition on gaining Anguish : If this is the first attack Maul used this turn, Maul gains 1 stack of Anguish
    Since it's almost the same wording as GS with his 2 ability per turn and not the SLKR/JMK Basic wording where it is written something like : If the ability is used during his turn. Maybe, and i said maybe, LV Kit will have a double ability per turn in his kit ? Or i'm overthinking and they just think about the call assist mecanichs xD
  • Zanir
    271 posts Member
    edited August 25
    So does this mean there's a conquest coming at some point this decade? Oh, jolly good.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    XKurareX wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    CG: We are nerfing defense ignore so tanks last longer.
    Also CG: Here's Maul, he deals true damage that ignores defense, which is great against tanks. It can't crit so it doesn't count, nevermind that it ramps to insane damage anyway.

    They are as trustable as the local drug dealer.

    They are quite predictable, actually. Just ignore what they say and look for whatever makes them money and protects their latest toy.

    Than there is cat/jmk total garbage KI
    Executor craptastic KI + total mezzed up speeding/flawed kit (hello taunt on IG etc)

    I think its like a ultra small studio without quality control. Maybe they use frustration to some effect of more money being spend even...the game could be a lot better, with a lot more customers but somehow they do not want to do so.
    I am not even sure how the workers at CG can even still go out and give interviews and basically knowing they just fool people. They are basically selling garbage and to fully overprized conditions. The promotion is not coming in any line to the product. Software is in the end also just another product. I suppose EA wins the worst company of the year award not without a reason. They have good designers still, but probably no good programmer wants to actually work for them so their latest game updates are as they are. The KI is so terrible, that i think its a simple if or condition without being a real KI and self learning from other matches.

    Most just see in this game what can be possible, but not what actually is the reality. We love the franchise and like any love you wear rosa glasses.
  • Starslayer
    1270 posts Member
    edited August 25
    Ultra wrote: »
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    Am I the only one completely confused by the leader ability?

    Ok, after the sixth time reading it I finally get it. Some unnecessary wording in there, and paragraph breaks needed. Why do kits have to be so complicated?

    Could you explain the part about if Maul is in the leader spot then Mandalorians in the leader spot get Mand’alor? It seems like it would only apply if the other team has a Mandalorian leader. My guess, though, is that it’s meant to read “a Mandalorian with a leader ability.”

    Maul’s a Mandalorian, so it gives him Mand’alor. It also probably gives it to an enemy (Mandalorian) leader.

    That's correct,

    If you are going against Bo-Katan, BAM, Armorer, or Jango Fett lead for example

    Or any other non-lead mandalorians in leader slot, they would get the Manda'lor status too

    This.
    So if you fight against a Bam team for instance, you’ll claim mandalore true leadership and by killing the other pretender to the throne, you’ll get the second stack of mandalore and the sweet 50% damage bonus that comes with it.
    Quite complicated for something that won’t be used a lot, but kudos for putting this kind of fun stuff in the game imo.

    Edit: not directly linked to the opponent's leader getting Mandalore, but the 2nd Mandalore buff (and the 50% increased damage for mandalorians) will also be yours if you kill the guy that killed your mandalorian tank. This is the way.
    Post edited by Starslayer on
  • Nauros
    4627 posts Member
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    Am I the only one completely confused by the leader ability?

    Ok, after the sixth time reading it I finally get it. Some unnecessary wording in there, and paragraph breaks needed. Why do kits have to be so complicated?

    Could you explain the part about if Maul is in the leader spot then Mandalorians in the leader spot get Mand’alor? It seems like it would only apply if the other team has a Mandalorian leader. My guess, though, is that it’s meant to read “a Mandalorian with a leader ability.”

    Maul’s a Mandalorian, so it gives him Mand’alor. It also probably gives it to an enemy (Mandalorian) leader.

    That's correct,

    If you are going against Bo-Katan, BAM, Armorer, or Jango Fett lead for example

    Or any other non-lead mandalorians in leader slot, they would get the Manda'lor status too

    This.
    So if you fight against a Bam team for instance, you’ll claim mandalore true leadership and by killing the other pretender to the throne, you’ll get the second stack of mandalore and the sweet 50% damage bonus that comes with it.
    Quite complicated for something that won’t be used a lot, but kudos for putting this kind of fun stuff in the game imo.

    It might come up later. If we get any other Mandalore (and it seems inevitable, considering where the show is going), they will most likely have it too. I'm personally hoping that they revisit the KOTOR era some day and give us Mandalore the Preserver or Mandalore the Ultimate too.
  • GoForTheEyes
    8 posts Member
    edited August 25
    Oh yeah, and "defeating this character will grant Mand'alor to the character that defeated them" is just after the text about giving taunt. Is it defeating the taunter, or defeating the Mand'alor? I guess taunter, as that gives a way to get Maul to 2 stacks?

    I think it means when defeating the character with the mand'alor buff, not the taunter. The semi colons are there to create separate statements about the mand'alor buff. A bullet list would have been clearer.
  • I think you spelt usurper wrong
  • Nauros
    4627 posts Member
    Also, could we get a clarification on how exactly his damage stacks on Seething Rage? Is it 120% per use, meaning that if he sterts at 5 stacks of Anguish, the last hit deals +480% damage? Or is it counted from the previous attack, meaning that it grows exponentially?
    And if he gets to start the sequence again, he starts at +300% damage because he already used it 5 times but used another ability in between, right?
  • Kit sounds nice. Quick question about the leader though: isn't it spelled usurpEr and not usurpUr?
  • Starslayer
    1270 posts Member
    edited August 25
    Oh yeah, and "defeating this character will grant Mand'alor to the character that defeated them" is just after the text about giving taunt. Is it defeating the taunter, or defeating the Mand'alor? I guess taunter, as that gives a way to get Maul to 2 stacks?

    I think it means when defeating the character with the mand'alor buff, not the taunter. The semi colons are there to create separate statements about the mand'alor buff. A bullet list would have been clearer.

    Not sure because of this:

    'At the start of battle if Maul is in the Leader slot and not the ally slot, Mandalorians in the Leader slot gain 1 stack of Mand'alor: (stacking, max 2) until they are defeated, which can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented. When a character with Mand'alor is defeated, the character that defeated them gains Mand'alor until they're defeated. There can't be more than two Mand'alor effects in battle.' so the 'mandalor transfer' is earlier in the kit.

    But you're probably right and it's the same information in 2 places. A clarification would be nice though.

    If someone who has intel could deny/confirm the text below, that would be nice:

    How do you gain a Mandalor buff ?
    1) You are Maul and you are in the leader slot.
    2) You are a mandalorian in the leader slot and the opposite leader is maul (so if both leaders are maul, both have 2 stacks of mandalore. Negociations will be short.)
    3) You defeated someone who has the Mandalor buff
    4) You defeated a Mandalorian whose taunting was activated by someone else's Mandalor ability
    Post edited by Starslayer on
  • Nauros
    4627 posts Member
    Sebek wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and "defeating this character will grant Mand'alor to the character that defeated them" is just after the text about giving taunt. Is it defeating the taunter, or defeating the Mand'alor? I guess taunter, as that gives a way to get Maul to 2 stacks?

    I think it means when defeating the character with the mand'alor buff, not the taunter. The semi colons are there to create separate statements about the mand'alor buff. A bullet list would have been clearer.

    Not sure because of this:

    'At the start of battle if Maul is in the Leader slot and not the ally slot, Mandalorians in the Leader slot gain 1 stack of Mand'alor: (stacking, max 2) until they are defeated, which can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented. When a character with Mand'alor is defeated, the character that defeated them gains Mand'alor until they're defeated. There can't be more than two Mand'alor effects in battle.' so the 'mandalor transfer' is earlier in the kit.

    But you're probably right and it's the same information in 2 places. A clarification would be nice though.

    If someone who has intel could deny/confirm the text below, that would be nice:

    How do you gain a Mandalor buff ?
    1) You are Maul and you are in the leader slot.
    2) You defeated someone who has the Mandalor buff
    3) You defeated a Mandalorian whose taunting was activated by someone else's Mandalor ability

    Well, you get the Mandalor buff if you are Maul and you are in the leader slot, and when you defeat the enemy Mandalorian Leader. It's how i read it.

    I read it that you get the buff when you are Maul in the leader slot, when you are a Mandalorian in the leader slot against Maul lead, and when you defeat someone with the buff.
  • Sebek
    2200 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and "defeating this character will grant Mand'alor to the character that defeated them" is just after the text about giving taunt. Is it defeating the taunter, or defeating the Mand'alor? I guess taunter, as that gives a way to get Maul to 2 stacks?

    I think it means when defeating the character with the mand'alor buff, not the taunter. The semi colons are there to create separate statements about the mand'alor buff. A bullet list would have been clearer.

    Not sure because of this:

    'At the start of battle if Maul is in the Leader slot and not the ally slot, Mandalorians in the Leader slot gain 1 stack of Mand'alor: (stacking, max 2) until they are defeated, which can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented. When a character with Mand'alor is defeated, the character that defeated them gains Mand'alor until they're defeated. There can't be more than two Mand'alor effects in battle.' so the 'mandalor transfer' is earlier in the kit.

    But you're probably right and it's the same information in 2 places. A clarification would be nice though.

    If someone who has intel could deny/confirm the text below, that would be nice:

    How do you gain a Mandalor buff ?
    1) You are Maul and you are in the leader slot.
    2) You defeated someone who has the Mandalor buff
    3) You defeated a Mandalorian whose taunting was activated by someone else's Mandalor ability

    Well, you get the Mandalor buff if you are Maul and you are in the leader slot, and when you defeat the enemy Mandalorian Leader. It's how i read it.

    I read it that you get the buff when you are Maul in the leader slot, when you are a Mandalorian in the leader slot against Maul lead, and when you defeat someone with the buff.

    Well, you are correct, but when i edited the comment, it dissappeared into the approval void.
    Remember: reality is an illusion. The universe is a hologram. Buy gold. Bye!
  • Nauros
    4627 posts Member
    Sebek wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and "defeating this character will grant Mand'alor to the character that defeated them" is just after the text about giving taunt. Is it defeating the taunter, or defeating the Mand'alor? I guess taunter, as that gives a way to get Maul to 2 stacks?

    I think it means when defeating the character with the mand'alor buff, not the taunter. The semi colons are there to create separate statements about the mand'alor buff. A bullet list would have been clearer.

    Not sure because of this:

    'At the start of battle if Maul is in the Leader slot and not the ally slot, Mandalorians in the Leader slot gain 1 stack of Mand'alor: (stacking, max 2) until they are defeated, which can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented. When a character with Mand'alor is defeated, the character that defeated them gains Mand'alor until they're defeated. There can't be more than two Mand'alor effects in battle.' so the 'mandalor transfer' is earlier in the kit.

    But you're probably right and it's the same information in 2 places. A clarification would be nice though.

    If someone who has intel could deny/confirm the text below, that would be nice:

    How do you gain a Mandalor buff ?
    1) You are Maul and you are in the leader slot.
    2) You defeated someone who has the Mandalor buff
    3) You defeated a Mandalorian whose taunting was activated by someone else's Mandalor ability

    Well, you get the Mandalor buff if you are Maul and you are in the leader slot, and when you defeat the enemy Mandalorian Leader. It's how i read it.

    I read it that you get the buff when you are Maul in the leader slot, when you are a Mandalorian in the leader slot against Maul lead, and when you defeat someone with the buff.

    Well, you are correct, but when i edited the comment, it dissappeared into the approval void.

    Gotta love how the forum works...
  • “But, wait! Didn’t ignoring defense lead to some character changes?” Yes, but True Damage is different, as it does not allow for Critical Hits, which is where things really started getting out of hand. - from developer insights.

    So the increase damage from that special is not going to get out of hand then?

    The way I read it it increases by 60% each use throughout battle. And when chained together an extra 60% on top of that per use.

    So vs kenobi, 5 uses immediately gives 120% second hit, 240% third hit, 360% 4th hit and 480% 5th hit. But crits for 220% damage ignoring defence is just getting out of hand?

    Then when you reach 5 stacks again, if you haven't used it between, starts at 300% for the sixth use of it in the battle, 420% 7th, 540% 8th, 660% 9th, 780% 10th.

    Then on the next use you start at 600%? Seems like a raid wrecker to me.

    Can this possibly be right??
  • Nauros
    4627 posts Member
    “But, wait! Didn’t ignoring defense lead to some character changes?” Yes, but True Damage is different, as it does not allow for Critical Hits, which is where things really started getting out of hand. - from developer insights.

    So the increase damage from that special is not going to get out of hand then?

    The way I read it it increases by 60% each use throughout battle. And when chained together an extra 60% on top of that per use.

    So vs kenobi, 5 uses immediately gives 120% second hit, 240% third hit, 360% 4th hit and 480% 5th hit. But crits for 220% damage ignoring defence is just getting out of hand?

    Then when you reach 5 stacks again, if you haven't used it between, starts at 300% for the sixth use of it in the battle, 420% 7th, 540% 8th, 660% 9th, 780% 10th.

    Then on the next use you start at 600%? Seems like a raid wrecker to me.

    Can this possibly be right??

    Yep, 220% damage that ignores defense is somehow more problematic than 600% damage that ignores defense. That, or the whole "justification" for the nerfs is a load of bantha poodoo.
  • Ultra
    8251 posts Moderator
    “But, wait! Didn’t ignoring defense lead to some character changes?” Yes, but True Damage is different, as it does not allow for Critical Hits, which is where things really started getting out of hand. - from developer insights.

    So the increase damage from that special is not going to get out of hand then?

    The way I read it it increases by 60% each use throughout battle. And when chained together an extra 60% on top of that per use.

    So vs kenobi, 5 uses immediately gives 120% second hit, 240% third hit, 360% 4th hit and 480% 5th hit. But crits for 220% damage ignoring defence is just getting out of hand?

    Then when you reach 5 stacks again, if you haven't used it between, starts at 300% for the sixth use of it in the battle, 420% 7th, 540% 8th, 660% 9th, 780% 10th.

    Then on the next use you start at 600%? Seems like a raid wrecker to me.

    Can this possibly be right??

    According to Miller, the damage is within their calculation (with a 5% damage variance)

    But Ignore defense can critically hit and Characters could deal as high as 2x+ damage vs the damage with true damage

    So yeah, if they gave Maul ignore defense instead of true damage it would be crazy

    And compared to CAT while being her equal - I think instant kill triumphs hitting so hard over and over that your target is defeated because it relies on Maul needing high relics as progression goes up and there are damage mitigation abilities that will reduce his effectiveness
  • Nauros
    4627 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    “But, wait! Didn’t ignoring defense lead to some character changes?” Yes, but True Damage is different, as it does not allow for Critical Hits, which is where things really started getting out of hand. - from developer insights.

    So the increase damage from that special is not going to get out of hand then?

    The way I read it it increases by 60% each use throughout battle. And when chained together an extra 60% on top of that per use.

    So vs kenobi, 5 uses immediately gives 120% second hit, 240% third hit, 360% 4th hit and 480% 5th hit. But crits for 220% damage ignoring defence is just getting out of hand?

    Then when you reach 5 stacks again, if you haven't used it between, starts at 300% for the sixth use of it in the battle, 420% 7th, 540% 8th, 660% 9th, 780% 10th.

    Then on the next use you start at 600%? Seems like a raid wrecker to me.

    Can this possibly be right??

    According to Miller, the damage is within their calculation (with a 5% damage variance)

    But Ignore defense can critically hit and Characters could deal as high as 2x+ damage vs the damage with true damage

    So yeah, if they gave Maul ignore defense instead of true damage it would be crazy

    And compared to CAT while being her equal - I think instant kill triumphs hitting so hard over and over that your target is defeated because it relies on Maul needing high relics as progression goes up and there are damage mitigation abilities that will reduce his effectiveness

    The point isn't about true damage vs. ignore defense on Maul, having it crit on top of everything would be obviously insane, it's about crits ignoring defense that are considered somehow problematic vs. this crazy stacking damage (reaching far higher than any crit could with the same base damage) that also ignores defense and is considered fine.
  • Why doesn’t Maul have the Scoundrel tag?
  • Each time this ability is used, it deals 60% more damage on subsequent uses and increases by an additional 60% until Maul uses a different ability during his turn.

    This is written very confusingly and ambiguously. Can a dev please elaborate?
    It raises by 60 and by 60 again? So the second 60 goes away after using another ability? What about the first 60? Until end of battle? Or until end of encounter?
    So am I right in thinking that the additional damage is 60% × <number of times this ability is used before in this battle/encounter> + 60% × <this ability is used in a row now> ?
    By the way, what happens on revive? Does he remember how many times he did the ability before he died?
  • As written, I’d guess the first 60% stacks until the end of the battle, staying through defeat+revive and through encounters. It doesn’t have any constraints besides “subsequent uses”.

    But that seems a little much.
  • TargetEadu wrote: »
    As written, I’d guess the first 60% stacks until the end of the battle, staying through defeat+revive and through encounters. It doesn’t have any constraints besides “subsequent uses”.

    But that seems a little much.

    We still have to see how it works, some things seem more OP on paper than they really are. There are a number of factor we don't know yet, as base dmg, max HP, how much HP will he get from LV, how fast he is, etc.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Crumb said in the interview that LV's ult charges when an ally takes damage.

    cool 5th GL with an ult that sounds like you can get without being in the leader position.
  • Ultra
    8251 posts Moderator
    I think its cool how the subsequent uses by Maul in Bonus Turn of seething rage's animation, he swaps the hand
  • Ultra
    8251 posts Moderator
    flux_rono wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Crumb said in the interview that LV's ult charges when an ally takes damage.

    cool 5th GL with an ult that sounds like you can get without being in the leader position.

    Yeah. I'm going to guess he generates less % when not in leader slot, tho
  • Draeth
    32 posts Member
    edited August 25
    "Maul’s kit is the first to have a call-out to another specific unit"

    Straight from the Dev Insights... do you guys actually play this game?

    There are dozens of units with specific call-outs. Even if you assume they meant specific enemy units, both Bastilas callout their opposing Revan.
Sign In or Register to comment.