Rationale for charging for disk swaps?

Prev13
Real question. Can we get an answer on the rationale for this? I lose a battle and lose 20 energy. I look to swap some disks to tweak things for the battle I just lost, and if I remove 3 disks, that’s a whole other battle’s worth of energy. I’m now out about the full amount of energy that refreshes over the course of a day. That’s an enormous cost. Would just like to know why we have to pay anything at all to experiment with what is supposed to be one of the marquee features of this game mode.

Replies

• The answer they gave is they want it to "feel significant" to change disks.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Their reason: to get players to spend
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    It's $$$ related but the direct answer is crystals. Can't spend crystals on currency. Can spend crystals on energy.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    I do think having a cost to swap disks is good as it makes you strategize your disks early on while keeping the future in mind
  • $$$. Spend more for more crystals so you can refresh more often.. That's ENGAGEMENT, right???

ugh..

It should be just Credits.. make it more expensive in Hard Mode, of course. But this "Energy" idea is just horrible with the new Feats and the added cost for each Battle.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    SotaDraken wrote: »
    $$$. Spend more for more crystals so you can refresh more often.. That's ENGAGEMENT, right???

ugh..

It should be just Credits.. make it more expensive in Hard Mode, of course. But this "Energy" idea is just horrible with the new Feats and the added cost for each Battle.

I don't think there is a credit amount that would make the choices feel significant for most players. Many veteran players have a huge amount just sitting around waiting for mods that look like they hold some promise.
  • At 6 conquests in, this is still happening (in both of my accounts) : 2i2uz048t2wn.pngdzzt6le761nk.png
    WHY?!?! Why is this not fixed?!

Maybe some people get the variety and have a wide depth to choose from as they go through. I certainly don't get that. Yet CG wants me to swap disks. It's why they're swappable in the first place, right? If they didn't want me to swap they'd just make it so you can't swap them out.

I play the mode using very few disks. Which is not CG's intent. In fact, thanks to their design I now have LESS reason to use or swap disks out since they've opted to increase the energy costs. I would assume when they said they wanted the cost to be "meaningful" they didn't mean "prohibitive" which is what they've created in both instances of their implementation. I don't experiment with disks. I don't move them around. I use a select few and just grab them if I see them. There's no reason to move them unless they prohibit you from completing a feat. if the options are play with disks or do another battle, it's not a "meaningful" choice. It's an easy one. I choose to do a battle. no refreshes yet, just entered sector 4. At the rate this is going, I will HAVE to spend refreshes just to complete the last 2 sectors.

Oh and the best perk of the slow energy regen and higher cost? I've used 1 BH team. I've used a CLS team 2x. I have otherwise ONLY used JMK. Great job CG! My stamina regenerates so much faster than my energy that I never even need to use another team. Looking at Conquest 7, it seems CG wants minimal engagement, few if any disk swaps, and to take our crystals. So far you've got 0 from me. I used to get the red box every time. But this one I feel no need or desire to refresh. Fantastic job sucking the fun and engagement out of Conquest!
  • Conquest has definitely lost the "fun" factor it had when it first launched.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    $$$. Spend more for more crystals so you can refresh more often.. That's ENGAGEMENT, right???

ugh..

I don't think there is a credit amount that would make the choices feel significant for most players. Many veteran players have a huge amount just sitting around waiting for mods that look like they hold some promise.

That can be a challenge.. But not every veteran player has hundreds of millions of credits and not every newer player has very little. It is subjective.

I think there should be a cost but tying it to Energy is counter-intuitive to "engagement" or even the theory-crafting for the insane number of Feats..

Credits are the balance for the thought of having a "Cost" and not reducing the Engagement for this Event.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

ugh..

That can be a challenge.. But not every veteran player has hundreds of millions of credits and not every newer player has very little. It is subjective.

I think there should be a cost but tying it to Energy is counter-intuitive to "engagement" or even the theory-crafting for the insane number of Feats..

Credits are the balance for the thought of having a "Cost" and not reducing the Engagement for this Event.

Credits would make the choice "easy" on what fisks to put on. They don't want that to be "easy" they want players to have to think about it, even weigh the options of having nothing while waiting for something they really want to equip.

Things will progress and change, and this will always be a conversation to be had, and maybe one of the trade offs we see to help keep this mode "engaging", but only time will tell.
  • Data disks are what makes the game mode different and could make it fun. Not being able to change them around freely to enjoy what they do is counter-intuitive for mine.
    CG already tell us exactly what teams to use and how often they could at least give us freedom to play around with data disks.

ugh..

Credits would make the choice "easy" on what fisks to put on. They don't want that to be "easy" they want players to have to think about it, even weigh the options of having nothing while waiting for something they really want to equip.

Things will progress and change, and this will always be a conversation to be had, and maybe one of the trade offs we see to help keep this mode "engaging", but only time will tell.

Here's the problem though. I'm not actually thinking about it. I'm not weighing any options. I'm simply ignoring the option of swapping data disks. So I'm using few and I'm not removing them. Where's the engagement in that? They didn't want it "easy" to swap disks. Solution! Don't let us swap disks. They want to keep the mode "engaging" :joy::joy::joy: that's hilarious bc they've done the exact opposite. I've never seen so many players disengaged from both the mode and the game itself. I enjoyed the first conquest. 2nd was okay. 3rd was repetitive. The next set of three became pure boredom and the only glimmer of joy was CAT. This set? This set could end tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it. They still have the same feats from the first 6 in. STILL. They added worse ones and kept the boring old ones.

I do fewer battles each day than in 1-6 and don't want to spend crystals on refreshes (and haven't thus far). If they believe this keeps players engaged, it explains why they make so many bad decisions.

ugh..

Here's the problem though. I'm not actually thinking about it. I'm not weighing any options. I'm simply ignoring the option of swapping data disks. So I'm using few and I'm not removing them. Where's the engagement in that? They didn't want it "easy" to swap disks. Solution! Don't let us swap disks. They want to keep the mode "engaging" :joy::joy::joy: that's hilarious bc they've done the exact opposite. I've never seen so many players disengaged from both the mode and the game itself. I enjoyed the first conquest. 2nd was okay. 3rd was repetitive. The next set of three became pure boredom and the only glimmer of joy was CAT. This set? This set could end tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it. They still have the same feats from the first 6 in. STILL. They added worse ones and kept the boring old ones.

I do fewer battles each day than in 1-6 and don't want to spend crystals on refreshes (and haven't thus far). If they believe this keeps players engaged, it explains why they make so many bad decisions.

Well tbf, we are all here on the forums complaining about it... I suppose that could be a form of engagement with the mode according to CG...

But that’s my question. What’s the rationale for why it can’t be easy? I’m sure they wouldn’t say any of the disks are useless. So why should I have to weigh which ones are the rights ones to put on and which ones are going to screw me over? That implies some of the disks are like red herrings.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    The funny thing is I’m spending less crystals now than I was before, because I know quite clearly that the top crate is out of reach.
  • CaesarAM wrote: »

But that’s my question. What’s the rationale for why it can’t be easy? I’m sure they wouldn’t say any of the disks are useless. So why should I have to weigh which ones are the rights ones to put on and which ones are going to screw me over? That implies some of the disks are like red herrings.

Exactly. Why should I be punished for putting a data disks on earlier which hurts my ability to gain another feat later? On that matter, what then is the point of having a credit cost to swap mods, if credits are no longer something that makes us think "long and hard" before swapping items? Shouldn't we require some sort of energy cost instead? Where do we draw the line in engagement???
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

ugh..

(I am not defending them)
    That is your choice. If you feel that they are important to your enjoyment of the game mode, you can choose to do more.

Why lock them in when they don't have to? Players have the agency to play how they want, and weigh the options.

We can wait and see how this plays out, I'm sure they are looking at many factors and trying to figure things out.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    CaesarAM wrote: »

Because they want the decision to be meaningful.

Some disks are better than others, some are better overall, and some are situational. Figuring out how you to place them and possibly remove them "should be meaningful".

Some disks are better than others, some are better overall, and some are situational. Figuring out how you to place them and possibly remove them "should be meaningful".

It's meaningful (imo) when I get the feat because I applied a certain data disk, not because I spent an arbitrary amount of energy to swap it in. The energy cost to me is not meaningful, it's just annoying and bars me from completing more battles, which means less engagement with a mode they wanted more engagement out of 🤷

They shouldn’t be easy because not being easy makes them meaningful? That’s vague and essentially tautological. And your explanation bucks against that anyway. If some are “situational,” then charging me to use it in the right situation seems downright exploitative.
  • There's a reason the swapped it to something you can buy..... #cashquest
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    emoore123 wrote: »

It's meaningful (imo) when I get the feat because I applied a certain data disk, not because I spent an arbitrary amount of energy to swap it in. The energy cost to me is not meaningful, it's just annoying and bars me from completing more battles, which means less engagement with a mode they wanted more engagement out of 🤷

And if you could just swap them around at any time, there would be nothing meaningful about what you place, just about what you collect, which is just RNG.

I'm not saying they have not discussed changes, but this is always the balance they are looking at.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

They shouldn’t be easy because not being easy makes them meaningful? That’s vague and essentially tautological. And your explanation bucks against that anyway. If some are “situational,” then charging me to use it in the right situation seems downright exploitative.

Yes, as you can see from other posts in this and in other conversations, players are not moving them, that makes what they equip "important" because that will be the set they use the whole time. That is meaningful.

Not quite. It's not that you cant do them with or without the disk equipped. It can just make a situation easier, or harder depending on the situation.
    emoore123 wrote: »

And if you could just swap them around at any time, there would be nothing meaningful about what you place, just about what you collect, which is just RNG.

I'm not saying they have not discussed changes, but this is always the balance they are looking at.

That's my point though, as the player it's my opinion that the meaning shouldn't be in what I place, it should be in what I achieve. Data disks are already RNG-heavy, and I see the same ones over and over. A lot of times, there is no meaning in what disks I place anyways because there's a lot of repeats in my inventory. If they want swaps to be meaningful, then I'd rather see more stability in what disks we see in a given sector, so that we have the variety to make swaps more meaningful. Otherwise it seems like wasted energy to swap a slightly better disk later in the conquest.