Royal Guard Rework?

Does anyone have more information on the mentioned Royal Guard rework? At approx 25:25 of the Operation Metaverse interview, Crumb mentioned that details might be coming out at "the same time" as that interview. Given I'm still months away from LV, the more useful rework of RG seems interesting.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    You have the same info we all do.
  • Options
    Is this confirmed? There’s no subtitles on that video so yet other information missed out for me!
  • Options
    Yep - message in the game.
  • Options
    This is what we’ve all been clamoring for. They sure do have their finger on the pulse.

Ok, this made me laugh, but I'll take any free "touch-up" improvement I can get. At least he isn't being made even worse!
  • Options
    From what I can see from the game:

Force Pike Basic - Stun Chance upped to 100%, otherwise the same

Imperial Phalanx Special reworked - All DS allies gain Defense Up and Heal over Time for 2 turns and Empire allies gain Health Up and Retribution for 2 turns. Royal Guard gains Taunt for 1 turn.

Unyielding Defender - At the start of the encounter, if the allied leader is Empire, Royal Guard gains Max Health equal to 5% of the allied leader’s Max Health and then doubles his Health until the end of the encounter. (This is the Zeta part.)

At the end of the turn, if another ally took damage that turn, all Empire allies recover 6% Health. Royal Guard Taunts for 1 turn whenever another ally falls below 50% Health.
  • Options
    Well, I, for one, am so livid that i cannot even see straight! I am just so angry that they can take all the time, money, crystals that I spend on RG and improve him. I mean to say, if they can just improve my characters retroactively in this way, then no character is safe. They may improve them all AFTER you've spent so much time on them. This is COMPLETELY unfair and I will never spend another dime until they roll back these improvements!
  • Range1974
    900 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Who’s health doubles, DV, RG, or another unspecified male allied leader?
    Dear CG - I have been reading and writing English for almost 50 years. If I’m not sure what the change means how does it translate to non-native speakers?
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    Range1974 wrote: »
    Dear CG - I have been reading and writing English for almost 50 years. If I’m not sure what the change means how does it translate to non-native speakers?

RG's
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Options

I believe they mean Royal Guard’s Health doubles.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Options
    I believe was just a joke, to spend all that Stun Gun on Guard, and nothing.
  • Options

"Royal Guard gains Max Health equal to 5% of the allied leader’s Max Health and then doubles his Health until the end of the encounter."

Seems pretty clear to me that "doubles his health" is referring to Royal Guard. No English degree required. 😏
  • LowKal
    17 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Force Pike Basic - Stun Chance upped to 100%, otherwise the same

in my case the description of the basic has not changed. It is still mentionned 50% chances for a speed debuff for 2 turns and if he has got more than 50% health, he stuns his target for 1 turn
    edit : ok he stuns at 100% but still if he's got more than 50% health ! sorry not awaken ! :D
    Post edited by LowKal on
  • HumbleMumble
    1017 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    emoore123 wrote: »

"Royal Guard gains Max Health equal to 5% of the allied leader’s Max Health and then doubles his Health until the end of the encounter."

Seems pretty clear to me that "doubles his health" is referring to Royal Guard. No English degree required. 😏

Could be referring to leader too, so it’s unclear.

Edit: the rule is that a pronoun belongs to the closest antecedent so the description actually tells us that it’s the leader health that is doubled.
    Post edited by HumbleMumble on
  • Options
    Read LV and realize that his leadership and health which includes all his protection will make IG a total beast with has retribution with a 100% stun and nearly permanent taunt.
  • Options

Edit: the rule is that a pronoun belongs to the closest antecedent so the description actually tells us that it’s the leader health that is doubled.

Exactly this - reading it how they wrote it (which I'm sure is not the way it works) the leader's health would double
  • Options
    This is what we’ve all been clamoring for. They sure do have their finger on the pulse.

Ok, this made me laugh, but I'll take any free "touch-up" improvement I can get. At least he isn't being made even worse!

yet
  • crzydroid
    7299 posts Moderator
    Options

Only if you assume the Leader's pronouns are male.
  • Options
    Haha it shows how far down the gravity well of despond conquest 7 has dragged us if pedantic dissection of grammar is entertainment. Yet strangely it is.

The answer of course is that the pronoun in this case is very clearly associated with the subject - so that trumps any other technical rules. So it’s the Guard’s health what doubles ;-)
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »

No, his can be used to refer to the Leader even if the character in question might be female. It’s an older grammatical rule but still valid.
  • Options

In English if you don't know the gender of the the person you're referring to, you use the male pronoun.
  • Options

Maybe most of us just don't think too hard about it, but to me it was pretty clear that the subject if the sentence was royal guard and not the leader. It's simply saying royal guard takes 5% of the leaders' max health, then royal guard's total health pool gets doubled. Obviously being the tank of the team, you'd want royal guard to get the extra health 🙄
  • Options

It’s not about assuming gender but about implying gender by the use of the male singular pronoun. It’s a common problem in English grammar and you know that. The use of male pronouns has been general practice for centuries and is the reason for recent debate in western societies. And you know that as well.

So instead of jumping into threads dropping witty remarks you could use your time to help update in-game language.
  • Options

Maybe most of us just don't think too hard about it, but to me it was pretty clear that the subject if the sentence was royal guard and not the leader. It's simply saying royal guard takes 5% of the leaders' max health, then royal guard's total health pool gets doubled. Obviously being the tank of the team, you'd want royal guard to get the extra health 🙄

I agree that it makes more sense for royal guard getting more health and if this had been the first time CG wrote a vague or faulty description I wouldn’t have commented.
  • Options

We all assumed DRevs was the one inflicting Death Mark on the enemy leader and learned recently that that isn't the case at all so I think we can safely say that with CG, assumptions aren't a good idea.
  • Options

We all assumed DRevs was the one inflicting Death Mark on the enemy leader and learned recently that that isn't the case at all so I think we can safely say that with CG, assumptions aren't a good idea.

Revan's deathmark situation isn't a result of faulty descriptions imo, so much as it is bad decisions on the devs part. It worked perfectly fine for all of us until they decided to introduce feats. That's a huge oversight on their part, I agree. This conquest has been a cluster that's exposed the "spaghetti code" we all heard about long ago.
  • crzydroid
    7299 posts Moderator
    Options

It’s not about assuming gender but about implying gender by the use of the male singular pronoun. It’s a common problem in English grammar and you know that. The use of male pronouns has been general practice for centuries and is the reason for recent debate in western societies. And you know that as well.

So instead of jumping into threads dropping witty remarks you could use your time to help update in-game language.

But you also seem to know it was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I have no power to change in-game text.

It's arguable that it even needs to be changed, as most seem to find it obvious that it is talking about Royal Guard's health. It’s only in over-thinking the language due to arcane rules that the common person doesn't even know that there is even a supposition that it could refer to the leader, which makes no sense in context. Rules are all fine and good, but a key component of language is colloquial use. Furthermore, accepting that languages change over time is incredibly important.