JMK Buff good or bad??

Gavsta
160 posts Member
edited September 13
OK, could be controversial... but is the recent JMK buff good or bad?
I suppose its good if the goal is to differentiate the 'New GLs' (JMK & LV) from the original 4 (Rey, SLKR, SEE & JML)....
But, and I suspect it'll be the same with LV, it is stretching out the power... and belittling the time & investment made into the original 4 GLs.
For me... it's the variety of counters.
I fundamentally disagreed with the non-GL nerfs, and struggle to accept it was solely for game balance.
However, the JMK was already brutally strong... and counters vs JMK prior to his buff were not 'hard counters'.
For me, it's tweaking the new shiny teams too much, and watering down characters that have been built over a period of time.
It's the same with Executor... it was never really easy to beat unless heavy relics were invested into a team.... but it was buffed anyways.
....
I can only hope that this is not a glimpse of what's to come.... but I suspect it is.
...
I tend to be an optimist, but the recent direction choices of the game have been away from fun, and to grindy game that is really is taking too much time to play.

I'm sure there'll be a response saying 'but you haven't considered X, Y or Z...' .... but if you sit and think about it in the cold light of day, you know what I'm saying is the truth.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

  • CapD
    16 posts Member
    edited September 12
    Yup. The JMK update utterly disrespects the time, effort and money players invested in assembling the counters that have been negated. Not because new=better… that’s necessary for the sense of progress customers need and which drives revenue. It’s because purchases were made based on a value. That value was taken away. This strikes at the very heart of why we play and spend… the sense of progress. Why make future investments/purchases, involving months of effort, when it is clear CG feels they can just take away that value at any time?
  • TVF
    30949 posts Member
    Value is always taken away, this should have been the case at the start. Be glad you got this long.
    The CGDF is no more. Now we hate CG because of conquest. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • The buffs to GLs vs non-GLs protects the old GLs from otherwise lost value. The old GLs are old. And Executor fleet wasn't designed well and still isn't totally fixed tbh (mirrors just look ****).

    bgggvs7juo1w.png
  • People complain when they nerf other toons to stop counters. Some say "just buff the toon to stop the counter".

    People complain when they buff a toon to stop counters.

    Toons go out of use. Looks like even GLs do. Except you can still use them to beat up any non GL.
  • People complain when they nerf other toons to stop counters. Some say "just buff the toon to stop the counter".

    People complain when they buff a toon to stop counters.

    Toons go out of use. Looks like even GLs do. Except you can still use them to beat up any non GL.

    Buffing toons is better than nerfing them. That doesn’t make buffing toons to prevent counters “good”. It’s still shutting down a counter when counters are an intrinsic part of the game.

    That and CG tends to solve these problems with a sledgehammer instead of a scalpel. The buff shut down the cheesy SEE Stealth counter, but it also pretty much bans SEE from being able to ever beat JMK+CAT, and there’s no explanation as to why that was done.
  • The explanation is: get the newest thing or lose.

    It's been that way with this game the whole time. It's like that in all of these mobile microtransaction games. Got to keep the not-very-micro transactions going.

    The second lot of GLs not doing it was an aberration, that I guess showed CG that it is less profitable.
  • People complain when they nerf other toons to stop counters. Some say "just buff the toon to stop the counter".

    People complain when they buff a toon to stop counters.

    Toons go out of use. Looks like even GLs do. Except you can still use them to beat up any non GL.

    This isn't as simple as complaining about buffing or nerfing. They buffed the most powerful character in the game. He was already dominating arena. Now he's invincible on defense too. That's not healthy for the game.

    It's the combination of all of the recent changes adding up. Yes, the game is for-profit, but the recent profit-squeezing changes are not a good thing.
  • Toons go out of use. Looks like even GLs do. Except you can still use them to beat up any non GL.

    Whoop-de-doo. You know what also beats non GLs? Prepare to have your mind blown...

    Other non-GLs. Ones that don't require a dozen plus often mostly useless characters to be upgraded to get them.
  • TVF
    30949 posts Member
    DathEliza wrote: »
    People complain when they nerf other toons to stop counters. Some say "just buff the toon to stop the counter".

    People complain when they buff a toon to stop counters.

    Toons go out of use. Looks like even GLs do. Except you can still use them to beat up any non GL.

    This isn't as simple as complaining about buffing or nerfing. They buffed the most powerful character in the game. He was already dominating arena. Now he's invincible on defense too. That's not healthy for the game.

    1) He's not invincible on D
    2) Every meta up until Rey/SLKR says hi
    The CGDF is no more. Now we hate CG because of conquest. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    DathEliza wrote: »
    People complain when they nerf other toons to stop counters. Some say "just buff the toon to stop the counter".

    People complain when they buff a toon to stop counters.

    Toons go out of use. Looks like even GLs do. Except you can still use them to beat up any non GL.

    This isn't as simple as complaining about buffing or nerfing. They buffed the most powerful character in the game. He was already dominating arena. Now he's invincible on defense too. That's not healthy for the game.

    1) He's not invincible on D
    2) Every meta up until Rey/SLKR says hi

    ... Yeah... he's not invincible, but the latest buff to JMK has made him pretty close to it.... any non-JMK counters have been either crippled (SLKR & SEE) or turned into an rng fest soft-counter (JML).
    My issue is not necessarily them being weaker... it's that all 4 of SEE, SLKR, Rey & JML have been marginalised by the new GLs despite:
    1: We have been told GLs would be of equitable power levels ... 🤔... compare JMK & LV to the 4 original GLs
    We were sold a diverse group of meta toons, when all that has been introduced is a new tier of characters (for Rey, SLKR, SEE & JMK)... and now, they're being superceded by the new GLs... that's just not right.
    2: The investment of gear & characters for all of the GLs are steep... I agree JMK & LV are steeper... but the requirements for the other 4 GLs (particularly JML) are not exactly chump change.

    ... and yeah, I can only say that the lack of 'achilles heel' for JMK (& Executor) is beyond frustrating. Following the 'Great nerf of 2021' & further buffs to JMK & Executor is creating a lack of diversity in the game & making battles more bland... or should I say more beige.
  • Note: I'm trying to climb in arena, with a 4GL 7.1m GP account.... ridiculous that JMK's buff is so excessive.
  • TVF
    30949 posts Member
    Gavsta wrote: »
    Note: I'm trying to climb in arena, with a 4GL 7.1m GP account.... ridiculous that JMK's buff is so excessive.

    Sorry, no. This is how it should be. Get the new thing or accept lower arena placement.
    The CGDF is no more. Now we hate CG because of conquest. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    Gavsta wrote: »
    Note: I'm trying to climb in arena, with a 4GL 7.1m GP account.... ridiculous that JMK's buff is so excessive.

    Sorry, no. This is how it should be. Get the new thing or accept lower arena placement.

    I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion.
  • Vendraen
    87 posts Member
    edited September 14
    Toons go out of use. Looks like even GLs do. Except you can still use them to beat up any non GL.

    Except GLs were supposed to be a different type of toon. They always stated something similar to "GLs will be equal..."

    Not to mention... SEE and JML are both Gen-2 GLs. JML DESTROYS JMK (A Gen-3 GL)...but SEE...hahahaha, not so much. Why? It's just odd. (Not to mention the thematic thing of why is a LS GL beating another LS GL instead of it being LS vs. DS?!?!)
  • Starslayer
    1275 posts Member
    edited September 15
    Vendraen wrote: »
    Toons go out of use. Looks like even GLs do. Except you can still use them to beat up any non GL.

    Except GLs were supposed to be a different type of toon. They always stated something similar to "GLs will be equal..."

    I understood something similar as 'GL will be around the same tier"; which they are. They actually made sure with the nerfs/buffs that they stay at a higher tier than non-GLs. However, it doesn't mean some GLs can't be more powerful than others.
    Vendraen wrote: »
    Not to mention... SEE and JML are both Gen-2 GLs. JML DESTROYS JMK (A Gen-3 GL)...but SEE..hahahaha, not so much.

    And SEE destroys JML, although they are both Gen-2, and is able to 2-men 90% of the teams with Wat. Every GL as its strength and weaknesses.

    But on the whole, new is better, it's an incentive to get the new thing and it keeps the game rolling.

  • Julian_Sixty_Six
    108 posts Member
    edited September 15
    TVF wrote: »
    Gavsta wrote: »
    Note: I'm trying to climb in arena, with a 4GL 7.1m GP account.... ridiculous that JMK's buff is so excessive.

    Sorry, no. This is how it should be. Get the new thing or accept lower arena placement.

    If arena were the only game mode you might have a point, but its still debatable. Taking away SLKR counter is horrible for GAC. There's no reason why you can't put together a counter at the cost of other squads. Just putting JMK on auto-wall makes it all less interesting. And i hope the JMK holders are having fun playing mirrors TFN in daily.
  • artusa
    152 posts Member
    edited September 16
    Bad because they think there's nothing wrong with LV. Obvious bias. I think they like JMK because he's light and dont like LV because dark.
Sign In or Register to comment.