TW vs overpowered opponents regularly (Sandbagging)

Todd_Kobrin
12 posts Member
edited September 2021
Hi there,
I don´t know if this is the right thread and I think there are already some discussions about this but I couldn´t find them so I create a new discussion.
Feel free to move my comment if needed @moderator

My respectively our concern is that we are getting sandbagged a lot recently in TW.
I am not talking about a differnce of a few GL but right about a difference of regularly about 30 plus percent. Not only after the changes you guys made to non GL counters we don´t have to start TW anymore, if we get such an opponent.
Our members lose motivation a lot as 6 of our last 8 TW were against heavy sandbaggers.
Is anyone at CG aware of that problem, which is not only concerning our guild for sure and even more important, is there a strategy coming up soon to solve this problem?

I would appreciate an answer very much, thanks guys. Have a great day
Post edited by Todd_Kobrin on

Replies

• Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Yes, CG is aware of sandbagging, but they don’t seem to care (as far as I can tell).
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • The whole point of this is to show you, if you don't get GLs you will continue to lose. You need to spend and get GLs, simple as.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Xcien wrote: »
    Yes, CG is aware of sandbagging, but they don’t seem to care (as far as I can tell).

They are, and things have been discussed multiple times. The problem revolves around a long term solution that doesnt need to be monitored as much and is easily adjusted on their end. It is/was not a simple fix, but it's all being discussed.

(They do care.)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    telboy007 wrote: »
    The whole point of this is to show you, if you don't get GLs you will continue to lose. You need to spend and get GLs, simple as.

Many, and at this point, many, many, players have GLs without $$.
  • Kyno wrote: »

They are, and things have been discussed multiple times. The problem revolves around a long term solution that doesnt need to be monitored as much and is easily adjusted on their end. It is/was not a simple fix, but it's all being discussed.

(They do care.)

Well it´s going on for a while now. Do you know if there will be a solution within the next weeks?
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

(They do care.)

It’s been a problem for quite some time, and we all know where the players’ feedback goes.

If they did care, they’d fix it. They cared about nerfing non-GL counters, and it was done swiftly. They fixed the infamous Undying Loyalty bug after ignoring it for so long to make sure Executor would be the “top of the ship meta”. They “fixed” Conquest to make it grindier. If they cared about fixing TW matchmaking, it would be done by now.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

(They do care.)

Well it´s going on for a while now. Do you know if there will be a solution within the next weeks?

MM has never been able to handle the factors it should have, but it has been functional sufficient for most of the time. I dont think it's as intentional as you believe, but that's not something anyone can actually prove. Originally this was examined and no correlation was found between going in under sized and having a higher win ratio. Just FYI, I am not defending or arguing any side to this.

We have no information on any timelines.
  • Xcien wrote: »

(They do care.)

It’s been a problem for quite some time, and we all know where the players’ feedback goes.

If they did care, they’d fix it. They cared about nerfing non-GL counters, and it was done swiftly. They fixed the infamous Undying Loyalty bug after ignoring it for so long to make sure Executor would be the “top of the ship meta”. They “fixed” Conquest to make it grindier. If they cared about fixing TW matchmaking, it would be done by now.

This. Stealth was broken for YEARS, but when Sith Assassin came out?
  • Kyno wrote: »

(They do care.)

MM has never been able to handle the factors it should have, but it has been functional sufficient for most of the time. I dont think it's as intentional as you believe, but that's not something anyone can actually prove. Originally this was examined and no correlation was found between going in under sized and having a higher win ratio. Just FYI, I am not defending or arguing any side to this.

What troubles me in the sentence I highlighted in bold is that it sounds like the devs have tested a completely bogus hypothesis. The problem can’t be explained away by stating that there’s no correlation between going in short handed and winning more TWs.

My guild has 43-45 signup for every TW and in our last 10 TWs we’ve had 3 close matchups, 4 blowouts in our favour and 3 blowouts in our opponent’s favour. If the devs look at our data and say “this guild goes in short handed but don’t win all the time; the MM is fine”, then that is flawed, specious reasoning.

Whilst there might be some people in this and the countless other threads suggesting that going in short handed is some kind of cheater’s charter, that really isn’t the point of the TW MM angst. The problem is that guilds with a comparative gulf in class can be, and frequently are, matched together solely because the active GP of the 2 guilds is similar.

From what you said above, it sounds to me as though the devs think this is not a problem if, on average, the majority of guilds benefit from the shoddy matchmaking as often as they are shafted by it.

And, with the greatest of respect to @CG_Doja_Fett_MINI, the fact that you remain silent on even raising this issue with the devs whilst commenting on posts from people who want the graphic presentation altered because they’re too lazy to move their thumb a couple of inches to click and see how many of each type of signal data they have, is frankly embarrassing.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

(They do care.)

What troubles me in the sentence I highlighted in bold is that it sounds like the devs have tested a completely bogus hypothesis. The problem can’t be explained away by stating that there’s no correlation between going in short handed and winning more TWs.

My guild has 43-45 signup for every TW and in our last 10 TWs we’ve had 3 close matchups, 4 blowouts in our favour and 3 blowouts in our opponent’s favour. If the devs look at our data and say “this guild goes in short handed but don’t win all the time; the MM is fine”, then that is flawed, specious reasoning.

Whilst there might be some people in this and the countless other threads suggesting that going in short handed is some kind of cheater’s charter, that really isn’t the point of the TW MM angst. The problem is that guilds with a comparative gulf in class can be, and frequently are, matched together solely because the active GP of the 2 guilds is similar.

From what you said above, it sounds to me as though the devs think this is not a problem if, on average, the majority of guilds benefit from the shoddy matchmaking as often as they are shafted by it.

And, with the greatest of respect to CG_Doja_Fett_MINI, the fact that you remain silent on even raising this issue with the devs whilst commenting on posts from people who want the graphic presentation altered because they’re too lazy to move their thumb a couple of inches to click and see how many of each type of signal data they have, is frankly embarrassing.

I never said they dont have problems with things. But as always it is hard to push changes as a priority if there is data on some levels that help support an idea.

He has and so have we. There is literally no issue discussed here that has not been brought to their attention at one point or another. Yes he doesnt always comment on that.
  • Todd_Kobrin
    12 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    So for me the solution is pretty simple, but I don´t know if there will be any internal problems realising it.
    The main priority should be not looking at active GP than towards active members who entered for a guild and their GP respectively.
    The most important point is that the GL should be almost identical and that´s gotta be possible to reach.
    Not at least due to the changes to GL counters that should be the main focus.
    And meybe developers could think about a regular routine doing TW without GL, only normal chars allowed. That might be fun stuff especially for high end guilds and would immediately end sandbagging totally.