GAC match making update

2Next

Replies

  • Just because your opponent has more GLs than you, doesn't mean it's an auto loss for you. If both players have the same top GP and they have more GLs than you, then that means they are lacking somewhere else. Your task is to analyze your opponent's roster and figure out these weaknesses. There is a lot more strategy and planning to GAC than some might think; it's not just number of GLs. You just need to put some effort into it, especially if you're fighting uphill battles. I very often fight people with more GLs than me or people with the new shiny toys that I don't have yet. I still win most matches, get Kyber almost every time, and am approaching 1 mil lifetime score. Simply because of superior strategy. If you're giving up before even attempting to fight an uphill battle, then maybe you just deserve to lose. No pain, no gain.
  • artusa
    175 posts Member
    Just because your opponent has more GLs than you, doesn't mean it's an auto loss for you. If both players have the same top GP and they have more GLs than you, then that means they are lacking somewhere else. Your task is to analyze your opponent's roster and figure out these weaknesses. There is a lot more strategy and planning to GAC than some might think; it's not just number of GLs. You just need to put some effort into it, especially if you're fighting uphill battles. I very often fight people with more GLs than me or people with the new shiny toys that I don't have yet. I still win most matches, get Kyber almost every time, and am approaching 1 mil lifetime score. Simply because of superior strategy. If you're giving up before even attempting to fight an uphill battle, then maybe you just deserve to lose. No pain, no gain.

    disagree, if you have 1 GL and they have 2 and they put both on defense with other teams that will stop you from 2 shooting one of the GLs then place a weak trap and save for a lot for offense then it is 99% win rate for the person with more GLs. Unless that person with more GLs sucks and doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't care about GAC, you're gonna lose. There are hundreds of thousands of players with the same rosters as everyone else. The only thing I can thing why CG does this is because it's actually an EA Strat. Weaker rosters are put up against stronger rosters and that's supposed to make us realize we need to spend money to catch up because we are behind. Explain that why in a GAC when there are 4 exe and 4 non exe, the non exe goes up against the exe until the end when it's just 2 exe left ? Same with other similar match making, why some one with 4 GLs and 700k lifetime goes up against someone with 5 GLs and 900k lifetime in the very first match. You can't tell this isn't true because this is all my experience and I am sure there are many others who have had the same experience. All I am asking is to be fair. You got 1 GL and I got 1 GL and we have similar roster. I dont have exe and. you dont have exe and we similar rosters. Seems fair to me and I think that's how it should be played. If you got 5GLs and exe then you should be put against all other players with 5 GLs and exes. There are thousand of them. Why do underdogs exist in a game where there are thousand of other players just like you that you never get to meet ? I know many guys in my arena shard that manage their GP so that they can have an easy fight. I haven't figured it out yet but when I do I hope it's enough to just have a fair GAC without any underdogs.
  • Thx artusa for explaining it
  • artusa wrote: »
    Just because your opponent has more GLs than you, doesn't mean it's an auto loss for you. If both players have the same top GP and they have more GLs than you, then that means they are lacking somewhere else. Your task is to analyze your opponent's roster and figure out these weaknesses. There is a lot more strategy and planning to GAC than some might think; it's not just number of GLs. You just need to put some effort into it, especially if you're fighting uphill battles. I very often fight people with more GLs than me or people with the new shiny toys that I don't have yet. I still win most matches, get Kyber almost every time, and am approaching 1 mil lifetime score. Simply because of superior strategy. If you're giving up before even attempting to fight an uphill battle, then maybe you just deserve to lose. No pain, no gain.

    disagree, if you have 1 GL and they have 2 and they put both on defense with other teams that will stop you from 2 shooting one of the GLs then place a weak trap and save for a lot for offense then it is 99% win rate for the person with more GLs. Unless that person with more GLs sucks and doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't care about GAC, you're gonna lose. There are hundreds of thousands of players with the same rosters as everyone else. The only thing I can thing why CG does this is because it's actually an EA Strat. Weaker rosters are put up against stronger rosters and that's supposed to make us realize we need to spend money to catch up because we are behind. Explain that why in a GAC when there are 4 exe and 4 non exe, the non exe goes up against the exe until the end when it's just 2 exe left ? Same with other similar match making, why some one with 4 GLs and 700k lifetime goes up against someone with 5 GLs and 900k lifetime in the very first match. You can't tell this isn't true because this is all my experience and I am sure there are many others who have had the same experience. All I am asking is to be fair. You got 1 GL and I got 1 GL and we have similar roster. I dont have exe and. you dont have exe and we similar rosters. Seems fair to me and I think that's how it should be played. If you got 5GLs and exe then you should be put against all other players with 5 GLs and exes. There are thousand of them. Why do underdogs exist in a game where there are thousand of other players just like you that you never get to meet ? I know many guys in my arena shard that manage their GP so that they can have an easy fight. I haven't figured it out yet but when I do I hope it's enough to just have a fair GAC without any underdogs.
    Before this draws any more “busted” remarks, I’ll make clear I’m not saying you are wrong - just that I disagree with you. You are entitled to feel the way you do about GAC, just as I’m entitled to feel differently.

    Like the OP, I’m a 5 GL owner. Unlike the OP, I own Executor. One of the bits about GAC I found tedious was facing people with the same 5 GLs as me, which happened more often than not. In 5v5 seasons the majority of my GAC matches saw me battling the same 11 ground teams every time.

    Since Executor came along, there’s been a bit more variety. My matches throughout the current GAC have seen me drawn in the same group as 5 GL + Exec, 5 GL no Exec, 4 GL + Exec and a handful of 4 GL no Exec. I’m yet to see a 6 GL player, though I expect to soon enough as I’m just a couple of weeks away from the LV farm. It’s been an enjoyable season, even if I’m facing someone right now for the third time (once in each of the last 3 brackets).

    Put simply, I find near-identical roster matches boring.

    GAC is a divisive game mode, and many players fixate on what they perceive to be fair or unfair matchups. Since the game mode existed there’s been people essentially claiming that their victories are down to skill, whilst their defeats are down to poor matchmaking.

    Fundamentally it all boils down to whether or not people think it’s fair to be matched using the GP of your top “X” characters / ships. I think it is fair, and I’m guessing the OP doesn’t think it’s fair.
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    Ripperpa wrote: »
    Ripperpa wrote: »
    I also get matched up against guys with more gls. Since only gls can beat gls guess what happens. No sense to play these matches.

    My last 3 opponents have 2 GLs, I have 1. I beat them all.

    Yeah if they don't place both of them on def... I have this also sometimes, but not everyone is stupid like this. Lucky for you

    The current number 1 in d3, who already has the premiere kyber champion title and more than 1m lifetime pts, has 3 GLs and never place more than 1 on D. I guess all his/her opponents are lucky to face such a stupid adversary.

    Lol yea you can’t place high if you use GLs on defense. I only place them on D after I lose 1 match.
  • artusa wrote: »
    disagree, if you have 1 GL and they have 2 and they put both on defense with other teams that will stop you from 2 shooting one of the GLs then place a weak trap and save for a lot for offense then it is 99% win rate for the person with more GLs. Unless that person with more GLs sucks and doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't care about GAC, you're gonna lose.

    Oh my, there is so much theoretical brain torture in this description... In this case, I'm happy to lose because obviously my opponent has superior knowledge about game mechanics, superior tactical awareness and superior foresight about my own strategy. Why should I think I the match would turn out differently even if we have equal number of GLs?
  • artusa wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    artusa wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    artusa wrote: »
    Just because your opponent has more GLs than you, doesn't mean it's an auto loss for you. If both players have the same top GP and they have more GLs than you, then that means they are lacking somewhere else. Your task is to analyze your opponent's roster and figure out these weaknesses. There is a lot more strategy and planning to GAC than some might think; it's not just number of GLs. You just need to put some effort into it, especially if you're fighting uphill battles. I very often fight people with more GLs than me or people with the new shiny toys that I don't have yet. I still win most matches, get Kyber almost every time, and am approaching 1 mil lifetime score. Simply because of superior strategy. If you're giving up before even attempting to fight an uphill battle, then maybe you just deserve to lose. No pain, no gain.

    disagree, if you have 1 GL and they have 2 and they put both on defense with other teams that will stop you from 2 shooting one of the GLs then place a weak trap and save for a lot for offense then it is 99% win rate for the person with more GLs. Unless that person with more GLs sucks and doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't care about GAC, you're gonna lose.
    If your opponent has 1 more GL than you then they also have about 300k GP of prerequisite bloat which means you have about 300k of good toons they don't... right?

    And you should be taking your GL on offense and setting up a reciprocal block to force them to play half map and compete on efficiency. It's called "strategy".
    artusa wrote: »
    There are hundreds of thousands of players with the same rosters as everyone else. The only thing I can thing why CG does this is because it's actually an EA Strat. Weaker rosters are put up against stronger rosters and that's supposed to make us realize we need to spend money to catch up because we are behind. Explain that why in a GAC when there are 4 exe and 4 non exe, the non exe goes up against the exe until the end when it's just 2 exe left ? Same with other similar match making, why some one with 4 GLs and 700k lifetime goes up against someone with 5 GLs and 900k lifetime in the very first match. You can't tell this isn't true because this is all my experience and I am sure there are many others who have had the same experience.
    GA(C) matchmaking has always been by GP., pre-dating GLs, relics and g13. It has never accounted for specific characters or ships, nor should it Players have had almost 3 years to learn how to develop their rosters with GA(C) matchmaking in mind.

    And there have always been characters / squads / ships / fleets that players cannot beat. Even now in lower divisions players are facing opponents with GAS / DR / JKR / Padme / Geos / Negotiator / Malevolence etc. which they have no answer for. That is no different than facing an opponent with 1 more GL. A blocker is a blocker, period.
    artusa wrote: »
    All I am asking is to be fair. You got 1 GL and I got 1 GL and we have similar roster. I dont have exe and. you dont have exe and we similar rosters. Seems fair to me and I think that's how it should be played. If you got 5GLs and exe then you should be put against all other players with 5 GLs and exes. There are thousand of them. Why do underdogs exist in a game where there are thousand of other players just like you that you never get to meet ? I know many guys in my arena shard that manage their GP so that they can have an easy fight. I haven't figured it out yet but when I do I hope it's enough to just have a fair GAC without any underdogs.
    And there we have it, you haven't figured it out yet so the whole system should change to accommodate your failings.

    So you admit to manipulating your matches through GP and punching down. You're the exact people I am talking about.
    So you admit to being hopelessly incompetent at roster management and incapable of owning your failures. Got it.

    Your admit is the reason I bring up this subject. There are plenty of players out there for match making. If you're so bad **** then stop punching down and start punching up. But you can't because you're weak and need to punch down.
    Still waiting on an explanation for your “busted” comment earlier.

    Edit: I mean, I’ve seen / read your complaint hundreds of times on the forums. It’s just the first time I’ve ever seen a 5 GL owner claim the matchmaking is out to get them, and accuse another 5 GL owner of gaming the system.

    Also, well done on going 9-3 in GAC. I wonder if any of your opponents felt they had been unfairly matched?

    You admitted to punching down and manipulating your GP, I dont know what else there to talk about.
    Other people aren't saying, until someone says something, then you find out there are people thinking the exact same thing. I see the people who are most afraid that GAC may become a fair fight and they may have to fight someone on their own lvl or higher, most of the time, are the ones who really comment on the thread. Others like myself who have to punch up most of the time are just "eff it, I just won't try in GAC or not care about it" and those guys are like taking candy from a baby for guys like you. I bet if you had to punch up all the time then you would be on my side and be silent.
  • DarjeloSalas
    6459 posts Member
    edited October 13
    artusa wrote: »
    artusa wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    artusa wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    artusa wrote: »
    Just because your opponent has more GLs than you, doesn't mean it's an auto loss for you. If both players have the same top GP and they have more GLs than you, then that means they are lacking somewhere else. Your task is to analyze your opponent's roster and figure out these weaknesses. There is a lot more strategy and planning to GAC than some might think; it's not just number of GLs. You just need to put some effort into it, especially if you're fighting uphill battles. I very often fight people with more GLs than me or people with the new shiny toys that I don't have yet. I still win most matches, get Kyber almost every time, and am approaching 1 mil lifetime score. Simply because of superior strategy. If you're giving up before even attempting to fight an uphill battle, then maybe you just deserve to lose. No pain, no gain.

    disagree, if you have 1 GL and they have 2 and they put both on defense with other teams that will stop you from 2 shooting one of the GLs then place a weak trap and save for a lot for offense then it is 99% win rate for the person with more GLs. Unless that person with more GLs sucks and doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't care about GAC, you're gonna lose.
    If your opponent has 1 more GL than you then they also have about 300k GP of prerequisite bloat which means you have about 300k of good toons they don't... right?

    And you should be taking your GL on offense and setting up a reciprocal block to force them to play half map and compete on efficiency. It's called "strategy".
    artusa wrote: »
    There are hundreds of thousands of players with the same rosters as everyone else. The only thing I can thing why CG does this is because it's actually an EA Strat. Weaker rosters are put up against stronger rosters and that's supposed to make us realize we need to spend money to catch up because we are behind. Explain that why in a GAC when there are 4 exe and 4 non exe, the non exe goes up against the exe until the end when it's just 2 exe left ? Same with other similar match making, why some one with 4 GLs and 700k lifetime goes up against someone with 5 GLs and 900k lifetime in the very first match. You can't tell this isn't true because this is all my experience and I am sure there are many others who have had the same experience.
    GA(C) matchmaking has always been by GP., pre-dating GLs, relics and g13. It has never accounted for specific characters or ships, nor should it Players have had almost 3 years to learn how to develop their rosters with GA(C) matchmaking in mind.

    And there have always been characters / squads / ships / fleets that players cannot beat. Even now in lower divisions players are facing opponents with GAS / DR / JKR / Padme / Geos / Negotiator / Malevolence etc. which they have no answer for. That is no different than facing an opponent with 1 more GL. A blocker is a blocker, period.
    artusa wrote: »
    All I am asking is to be fair. You got 1 GL and I got 1 GL and we have similar roster. I dont have exe and. you dont have exe and we similar rosters. Seems fair to me and I think that's how it should be played. If you got 5GLs and exe then you should be put against all other players with 5 GLs and exes. There are thousand of them. Why do underdogs exist in a game where there are thousand of other players just like you that you never get to meet ? I know many guys in my arena shard that manage their GP so that they can have an easy fight. I haven't figured it out yet but when I do I hope it's enough to just have a fair GAC without any underdogs.
    And there we have it, you haven't figured it out yet so the whole system should change to accommodate your failings.

    So you admit to manipulating your matches through GP and punching down. You're the exact people I am talking about.
    So you admit to being hopelessly incompetent at roster management and incapable of owning your failures. Got it.

    Your admit is the reason I bring up this subject. There are plenty of players out there for match making. If you're so bad **** then stop punching down and start punching up. But you can't because you're weak and need to punch down.
    Still waiting on an explanation for your “busted” comment earlier.

    Edit: I mean, I’ve seen / read your complaint hundreds of times on the forums. It’s just the first time I’ve ever seen a 5 GL owner claim the matchmaking is out to get them, and accuse another 5 GL owner of gaming the system.

    Also, well done on going 9-3 in GAC. I wonder if any of your opponents felt they had been unfairly matched?

    You admitted to punching down and manipulating your GP, I dont know what else there to talk about.
    Other people aren't saying, until someone says something, then you find out there are people thinking the exact same thing. I see the people who are most afraid that GAC may become a fair fight and they may have to fight someone on their own lvl or higher, most of the time, are the ones who really comment on the thread. Others like myself who have to punch up most of the time are just "eff it, I just won't try in GAC or not care about it" and those guys are like taking candy from a baby for guys like you. I bet if you had to punch up all the time then you would be on my side and be silent.
    Can you show me where I admitted to punching down?

    And again, on what planet are you, a 5 GL owner, punching up?

    Like I said, I do understand the complaint, but I think it is unusual for a 5 GL owner to claim they are having to punch up.

    These GAC bots on Discord (HotBot, DSR) provide so much data that some people will focus on and obsess over any metric where they are “behind” their opponent. Division 2 has a wide GP range (6.65-7.79M GP), and you are definitely in elite company as a 5 GL owner in that division, so it is not unexpected that you are matched with people near the top end of the GP range even though you yourself are not. This does not mean you are “punching up”.

    Total GP is irrelevant. Number of GLs is relevant. Mods are relevant.
  • For reference, here are a selection of the people you faced in this GAC:

    4 GLs https://swgoh.gg/p/656177884/characters/?f=Galactic+Legend

    4 GLs https://swgoh.gg/p/661966538/characters/?f=Galactic+Legend

    4 GLs https://swgoh.gg/p/185421369/characters/?f=Galactic+Legend

    I stopped after 3. There could be more.

    I just don’t understand how you can claim, with a straight face, that matchmaking is treating you unfairly.
  • EA_Mako
    299 posts EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, a number of posts have been removed for violating the forum guidelines.

    Just a friendly reminder that it's ok to be frustrated with how something works, but please don't take that out on each other when discussing it. There's no reason to make rude remarks directed at other individuals.

    Thanks to those of you that have kept things civil!
  • GAC is fantastic as is and I really hope complaints driven by a dissatisfaction with losing vs game mechanics do not result in changes to the best part of this game.
  • Acymetric
    184 posts Member
    edited October 13
    rickertron wrote: »
    GAC is fantastic as is and I really hope complaints driven by a dissatisfaction with losing vs game mechanics do not result in changes to the best part of this game.

    I wish they would change how auto-deploy works so that it doesn't make a full clear pretty much impossible, and that the territory with the extra squad was the same in 3v3 and 5v5 (Top front in 5v5 and bottom back in 3v3 for division 7). Even with those minor complaints it is definitely the best, most engaging game mode IMO.
  • artusa wrote: »
    Just because your opponent has more GLs than you, doesn't mean it's an auto loss for you. If both players have the same top GP and they have more GLs than you, then that means they are lacking somewhere else. Your task is to analyze your opponent's roster and figure out these weaknesses. There is a lot more strategy and planning to GAC than some might think; it's not just number of GLs. You just need to put some effort into it, especially if you're fighting uphill battles. I very often fight people with more GLs than me or people with the new shiny toys that I don't have yet. I still win most matches, get Kyber almost every time, and am approaching 1 mil lifetime score. Simply because of superior strategy. If you're giving up before even attempting to fight an uphill battle, then maybe you just deserve to lose. No pain, no gain.

    disagree, if you have 1 GL and they have 2 and they put both on defense with other teams that will stop you from 2 shooting one of the GLs then place a weak trap and save for a lot for offense then it is 99% win rate for the person with more GLs. Unless that person with more GLs sucks and doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't care about GAC, you're gonna lose. There are hundreds of thousands of players with the same rosters as everyone else. The only thing I can thing why CG does this is because it's actually an EA Strat. Weaker rosters are put up against stronger rosters and that's supposed to make us realize we need to spend money to catch up because we are behind. Explain that why in a GAC when there are 4 exe and 4 non exe, the non exe goes up against the exe until the end when it's just 2 exe left ? Same with other similar match making, why some one with 4 GLs and 700k lifetime goes up against someone with 5 GLs and 900k lifetime in the very first match. You can't tell this isn't true because this is all my experience and I am sure there are many others who have had the same experience. All I am asking is to be fair. You got 1 GL and I got 1 GL and we have similar roster. I dont have exe and. you dont have exe and we similar rosters. Seems fair to me and I think that's how it should be played. If you got 5GLs and exe then you should be put against all other players with 5 GLs and exes. There are thousand of them. Why do underdogs exist in a game where there are thousand of other players just like you that you never get to meet ? I know many guys in my arena shard that manage their GP so that they can have an easy fight. I haven't figured it out yet but when I do I hope it's enough to just have a fair GAC without any underdogs.

    Looks like you missed my point. There are strategies on how to approach and potentially defeat people with more GLs than you. Even if they place both on defense. Rath_Tarr explained most of it in his post above so just check out his comment. He is a strong GAC player so you can take his word for it. I am as well, so just trust us on this. In short, if the enemy has more GLs and you expect them to set both on defense, then you can set a heavy defense and play the half-map efficiency game. If the enemy only sets one then just keep your GL for offense to kill theirs, and then just win a regular efficiency match. And before you say something like "But I can't know what my opponent is going to set", yes, you can't know. But analyzing and reading your opponent is part of the game. Experienced players will know how to use the data provided by swgoh.gg's GAC history and the in-game profile stats. People underestimate how much mind games are actually part of GAC.
  • artusa wrote: »
    Just because your opponent has more GLs than you, doesn't mean it's an auto loss for you. If both players have the same top GP and they have more GLs than you, then that means they are lacking somewhere else. Your task is to analyze your opponent's roster and figure out these weaknesses. There is a lot more strategy and planning to GAC than some might think; it's not just number of GLs. You just need to put some effort into it, especially if you're fighting uphill battles. I very often fight people with more GLs than me or people with the new shiny toys that I don't have yet. I still win most matches, get Kyber almost every time, and am approaching 1 mil lifetime score. Simply because of superior strategy. If you're giving up before even attempting to fight an uphill battle, then maybe you just deserve to lose. No pain, no gain.

    disagree, if you have 1 GL and they have 2 and they put both on defense with other teams that will stop you from 2 shooting one of the GLs then place a weak trap and save for a lot for offense then it is 99% win rate for the person with more GLs. Unless that person with more GLs sucks and doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't care about GAC, you're gonna lose. There are hundreds of thousands of players with the same rosters as everyone else. The only thing I can thing why CG does this is because it's actually an EA Strat. Weaker rosters are put up against stronger rosters and that's supposed to make us realize we need to spend money to catch up because we are behind. Explain that why in a GAC when there are 4 exe and 4 non exe, the non exe goes up against the exe until the end when it's just 2 exe left ? Same with other similar match making, why some one with 4 GLs and 700k lifetime goes up against someone with 5 GLs and 900k lifetime in the very first match. You can't tell this isn't true because this is all my experience and I am sure there are many others who have had the same experience. All I am asking is to be fair. You got 1 GL and I got 1 GL and we have similar roster. I dont have exe and. you dont have exe and we similar rosters. Seems fair to me and I think that's how it should be played. If you got 5GLs and exe then you should be put against all other players with 5 GLs and exes. There are thousand of them. Why do underdogs exist in a game where there are thousand of other players just like you that you never get to meet ? I know many guys in my arena shard that manage their GP so that they can have an easy fight. I haven't figured it out yet but when I do I hope it's enough to just have a fair GAC without any underdogs.

    Looks like you missed my point. There are strategies on how to approach and potentially defeat people with more GLs than you. Even if they place both on defense. Rath_Tarr explained most of it in his post above so just check out his comment. He is a strong GAC player so you can take his word for it. I am as well, so just trust us on this. In short, if the enemy has more GLs and you expect them to set both on defense, then you can set a heavy defense and play the half-map efficiency game. If the enemy only sets one then just keep your GL for offense to kill theirs, and then just win a regular efficiency match. And before you say something like "But I can't know what my opponent is going to set", yes, you can't know. But analyzing and reading your opponent is part of the game. Experienced players will know how to use the data provided by swgoh.gg's GAC history and the in-game profile stats. People underestimate how much mind games are actually part of GAC.

    Exactly this.
Sign In or Register to comment.