Arena improvement

I'd like to share my ideas for how to improve the arena/fleet arena. I think it goes without saying that arena (at least in my opinion) is quite outdated and needs an overhaul/fixes. My ideas are:

1: Shake up the shards (maybe once every 3 months). Every player gets put in new random shards with people with same GP (measured from the highest GP team/fleet they have used in arena) This way people don't need to worry about GP bloat destroying them. The accounts that have not played arena for those 3 months should not be placed in a shard until they come back to keep the shards active and competitive. If a player then comes back in the middle of a 3 month-arena rotation they should have the option to join a shard. They would then after a short period of 24h or so get placed in a shard of their GP-rating (at the last rank).

2: Change the pay-out time-system. A fix to this would be that you get rewards for the highest rank you reached that day rather than a specific time. This could lessen the frustration with having to schedule your life around the game.

3: Rewards: Update the rewards so they reflect the current situation of the game. They could easily add a gearbox or even a low-level relic box. Furthermore, just give crystals to all in the fleet arena just like the normal arena.

My idea number 1 can have some issues in the fact that it might be too competative and hard to climb. So the shards might have to be made smaller than 20.000 (or how big they are now). Furthermore its worth maybe changing the ranking completely to be closer to the GAC. You would get points for every succesful arenawin and climb that way (so more people could be at the same rank at the same time).

I think the above would really improve peoples experience with the arena/fleet arena.

What do people think of this and what issues would there be with changing the way arena / fleet is run?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I believe they have avoided changes to arena on some level due to it being a major source of income and changes there could be very harmful to the player base.

If something around this was going to change, they would first need to have a different or more source(s) to get crystals.

To your points, 1 - this is very harmful to f2p players who have grown into their shard and are able to keep up enough to stay with others who may not be f2p. This could cause a major upheaval to the player base, especially in fleet arena.

2 - with the option to change PO time, you already have a system that allows you to better deal with the current PO structure. Less of a focus on when you hit 1 has many effects, and lessens competitiveness. There is also a weird situation around the end of the 24 hour period where players can get 2 days with of #1 PO with a single battle at the correct time. One other reason and probably the major reason this will never happen, you will increase the crystal PO a lot.

3 - the goal of having many game modes and rewards in many locations is to avoid having 1 team that can "do it all", so consolidating more rewards in one game mode is not likely to happen.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    1. GP bloat is completely irrelevant in squad/fleet arena. By leaving out inactive accounts some active players will end up at rank 10k or worse whereas now they couldn't possibly drop below rank 500 on their current mature/veteran shard because the rest are inactive accounts. This increased activity on shards will result in far less crystals payed out to active players. NO THANX.
    2. If this was implemented I believe CG would reduce the rewards for each tier significantly to balance things out.
  • zatho
    747 posts Member
    I had an idea this morning related to arena. Split the shards into smaller units. Active players are already able to climb into top positions, so for them it would not mean more rewards. But with smaller shards they don't drop that far and need less time to climb. Assuming you then don't need to refresh, you can reduce the top5-rewards by 50 crystals so the economy should stay almost the same.
    I think this would be a way of doing some QoL without destroying the economy or meta.Of course I am assuming that the split will be performed in a meaningfull way. Not between top and bottom, but a representative section of the shard.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I believe they have avoided changes to arena on some level due to it being a major source of income and changes there could be very harmful to the player base.

If something around this was going to change, they would first need to have a different or more source(s) to get crystals.

To your points, 1 - this is very harmful to f2p players who have grown into their shard and are able to keep up enough to stay with others who may not be f2p. This could cause a major upheaval to the player base, especially in fleet arena.

2 - with the option to change PO time, you already have a system that allows you to better deal with the current PO structure. Less of a focus on when you hit 1 has many effects, and lessens competitiveness. There is also a weird situation around the end of the 24 hour period where players can get 2 days with of #1 PO with a single battle at the correct time. One other reason and probably the major reason this will never happen, you will increase the crystal PO a lot.

3 - the goal of having many game modes and rewards in many locations is to avoid having 1 team that can "do it all", so consolidating more rewards in one game mode is not likely to happen.

And yet they made changes that hurt the player base. The rewards are useless now.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    nullmatrix wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

And yet they made changes that hurt the player base. The rewards are useless now.

But we now have a new source for crystals - GAC.
  • Well seems like they where planning a change after all :wink: Not what i thought - but seems better to me at least. I know for some people this will be a disadvatage - but I do believe it will be better for the overall health of the game.

Though they might as well have removed the arena and put all the rewards into GAC. Set it up with one currency instead of GAC currency and arena currency. Furthermore let people join GAC from lower levels and make brackets of lvl 30-40, 41-50, 51-60, 61-70, 71-84 and 85 (current one) or something like that. And instead of the 1-1-1-1 format make it a 1-1 format (no ships) for lower lvl players. :smile: