Houndstooth Needs to be Nerfed

Prev1
Darksamus51
24 posts Member
edited October 2021
I’m sure I’m not the first to say it. And I’m sure I won’t be the last. But the Houndstooth is the most abysmal thing to fight in GAC or Fleet Arena. A ship like this should not exist. The hundreds of thousands of damage I have done to this ship in one fight, with ships of its same level and still not defeated it, only proves the point that it needs to be nerfed.

People have criticized me for comparing this game to other turn based strategy games, especially when I mention balancing issues, but I’m not about to stop now. Much like my issues with Kylo Ren (Unmasked) being essentially invincible unless he’s given a healing immunity, insta kill, or there is a large gear difference. Houndstooth is essentially invincible unless it’s the last ship and constantly taunts to avoid you killing other ships. Most people’s arguments when I bring up character imbalance is just a suggestion for me to use another character or ship to avoid or stamp out the problem. But with a game like SWGoH, saying, “You should just use this character you ****.” is quite possibly the **** thing a person could say, seeing as it takes weeks FTP to get any character to a decent level. In any other game getting a character up in level wouldn’t be a problem and I wouldn’t complain, but characters are rough to get up and it’s infuriating.

I am fine with a ship or character that is tough to beat, but allowing that ship or character to be invincible unless you have a specific ship or character that has a an ability that few others have is stupid. The design of SWGoH is so imbalanced and **** in terms of other games that the most dedicated fans have chosen to lie to themselves and say this is good game design. And the only reason they don’t want people like me saying there are games with better balancing out there, is because they would have to recognize the horrible issues with this game they don’t want to acknowledge.

Ships are already an underdeveloped part of the game and all over the place with balance as it is, and having the houndstooth like this just makes it so much worse.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Darksamus51
    24 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    I don’t know why it censored i d i o t and stupid, but it did.
  • I remember when CG said they didn't want HT to be part of every meta fleet. Then they released Executor and made it one of the focal points of the meta fleet. :joy:
  • There are plenty of compositions to beat houndstooth at this point. If he’s not in an executor lineup you have plenty of options. Buff immunity is your friend
  • Darksamus51
    24 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    There are plenty of compositions to beat houndstooth at this point. If he’s not in an executor lineup you have plenty of options. Buff immunity is your friend

I’m really not trying to be rude, but this is kinda what I was talking about, where saying, “just have a unit or composition of units that do this.” Doesn’t really help the situation. It also doesn’t justify the imbalance that forces you to have to change your roster to beat one character. Especially with how long it takes to get both a character and a ship leveled up. I recognize that this is a mobile game, so it’s literally designed to be unfair so that you get mad and spend money but man it really is infuriating.

Again I’m not trying to be rude so I’m sorry if it came out that way.
  • While HT is annoying I grant you, if any character or ship could beat any other of comparable level where would the point be in getting any others unlocked.

It seems to me that having certain units more easily beatable by some and nearly impossible by other WAI. It makes you broaden your roster, which overall should be the aim in a collection game IMO.
  • Ryconnan wrote: »
    While HT is annoying I grant you, if any character or ship could beat any other of comparable level where would the point be in getting any others unlocked.

It seems to me that having certain units more easily beatable by some and nearly impossible by other WAI. It makes you broaden your roster, which overall should be the aim in a collection game IMO.

I don’t disagree with you, it’s just that the process of broadening your roster takes years. Whereas in other Turn Based Strategy games it takes at most a day or two. Which makes characters and ships like this even more insufferable. And leveling up your roaster inflates your GP putting you in more difficult arena shards.
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    There are plenty of compositions to beat houndstooth at this point. If he’s not in an executor lineup you have plenty of options. Buff immunity is your friend

I’m really not trying to be rude, but this is kinda what I was talking about, where saying, “just have a unit or composition of units that do this.” Doesn’t really help the situation. It also doesn’t justify the imbalance that forces you to have to change your roster to beat one character. Especially with how long it takes to get both a character and a ship leveled up. I recognize that this is a mobile game, so it’s literally designed to be unfair so that you get mad and spend money but man it really is infuriating.

I’m not trying to be rude either, but I really don’t see the problem with having to change your team / roster to beat one character.

As was pointed out above, if you could beat every other character / ship with the same lineup every time, what would be the point in expanding your roster in the first place?

And I think the time to complain about needing to spend money to beat Hound’s Tooth passed about 3 years ago.
  • Darksamus51
    24 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    @DarjeloSalas As was pointed out above, if you could beat every other character / ship with the same lineup every time, what would be the point in expanding your roster in the first place?

Again, as I said, I don’t have a problem with tough to beat characters, as long as the process for getting their counters isn’t weeks months years or hundreds of dollars. There is still room for criticism about money considering it effects the game completely all throughout. However it’s a mobile game so it’s bound to come with deplorable practices.

SWGoH acts like a Rock Paper Scissors game but your only given a rock and getting paper and scissors costs you thousands of dollars.
    While HT is annoying I grant you, if any character or ship could beat any other of comparable level where would the point be in getting any others unlocked.

I don’t disagree with you, it’s just that the process of broadening your roster takes years. Whereas in other Turn Based Strategy games it takes at most a day or two. Which makes characters and ships like this even more insufferable. And leveling up your roaster inflates your GP putting you in more difficult arena shards.
    Your arena shard is fixed from the moment you unlock that game mode. Nothing you do to your “roaster” will change that.

If you were referring to more difficult GAC divisions, well, if you want to be successful you surely need to be able to beat Hound’s Tooth?

Your arena shard is fixed from the moment you unlock that game mode. Nothing you do to your “roaster” will change that.

If you were referring to more difficult GAC divisions, well, if you want to be successful you surely need to be able to beat Hound’s Tooth?

You are fixed to a group of people who all go different directions, spend different assortments of money, and have different rosters that may directly counter yours through luck alone. It’s a game based off of luck and imbalance fundamentally that rewards big spenders and punishes FTP players. I don’t see that as a commendable aspect to its design. Even in GAC you are matched up with people who may have similar GP but may just happen to have a roster you can’t beat.
    Yes.

But you do understand that once you enter your squad and fleet arena, it won’t change? So inflating your GP is not a bad thing, and in fact is almost certainly the only way to make progress?
  • Darksamus51
    24 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    Ryconnan wrote: »

You are fixed to a group of people who all go different directions, spend different assortments of money, and have different rosters that may directly counter yours through luck alone. It’s a game based off of luck and imbalance fundamentally that rewards big spenders and punishes FTP players. I don’t see that as a commendable aspect to its design. Even in GAC you are matched up with people who may have similar GP but may just happen to have a roster you can’t beat.
    Yes.

But you do understand that once you enter your squad and fleet arena, it won’t change? So inflating your GP is not a bad thing, and in fact is almost certainly the only way to make progress?

True. But that’s like saying, “Hey in a few years the game will be balanced and fun. You just have to wait for you and everyone in your shard to get max level rosters, so that you can play on an even field.” Your not wrong, it’s just tough thinking about playing an unfair game for years in the hopes that it gets better.
  • Ok

This game might not be for you.
  • Ok

This game might not be for you.

You’re probably right. But that doesn’t mean I can’t call out it’s weaknesses. And that doesn’t mean that this game can’t become better and fair. It’s just a matter of how CG chooses to carry on. If they like the imbalance and hope to keep it up, than fine, I probably will stop playing. But if a miracle happens and they realize the potential a game like this could have if it were fair and change the game accordingly than great!

Yes.

True. But that’s like saying, “Hey in a few years the game will be balanced and fun. You just have to wait for you and everyone in your shard to get max level rosters, so that you can play on an even field.” Your not wrong, it’s just tough thinking about playing an unfair game for years in the hopes that it gets better.

That’s not what he is saying.

If you’re in a newer shard then you are currently going through past metas based on progression.

Unless you whale out on GL’s from the get go, you will see natural progression from teams like Geo’s, FO, Phoenix, etc as early game metas in arena. Then you’ll see JKR, DR, GAS, etc and that’ll progress to end game metas with GL’s. Same goes for ships. As you progress you will see how those compositions change as you progress and climb arena standings just like as squad arena.

If your roster doesn’t have ships capable of handling HT right now you need to develop those counters. Like I said, buff immunity is your friend and even buff dispels to cleanse off that bonus protection. Rebels is a great way to handle that with HMF and Cassian’s buff dispel. Or just bide your time and nuke him with empire squads and Thrawn.

You have options. Build towards them.
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Ryconnan wrote: »

Yes.

That’s not what he is saying.

If you’re in a newer shard then you are currently going through past metas based on progression.

Unless you whale out on GL’s from the get go, you will see natural progression from teams like Geo’s, FO, Phoenix, etc as early game metas in arena. Then you’ll see JKR, DR, GAS, etc and that’ll progress to end game metas with GL’s. Same goes for ships. As you progress you will see how those compositions change as you progress and climb arena standings just like as squad arena.

If your roster doesn’t have ships capable of handling HT right now you need to develop those counters. Like I said, buff immunity is your friend and even buff dispels to cleanse off that bonus protection. Rebels is a great way to handle that with HMF and Cassian’s buff dispel. Or just bide your time and nuke him with empire squads and Thrawn.

You have options. Build towards them.

True. But the amount of time, money, and wasted resources from not winning, as well as a redirection from the players current farming path just to counter one out of over a hundred characters is just jaw dropping-ly bad.

I think we’ve met a crossroads, where we either recognize the game as an intentionally unfair mobile game that will never get better. Or an intentionally unfair mobile game that could get better. I appreciate you guys views, and I agree with what you guys are saying. But I don’t think this conversation will lead to much fruit. So I will lay down my end of the conversation.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited October 2021

This is a strategy element of the game, if you dont like building up teams and toons to fit into a scenario to either counter or build a stronger team, you may not like this game.

How is it unfair? Do you not have the same opportunities your opponent does?
  • Kyno wrote: »

This is a strategy element of the game, if you dont like building up teams and toons to fit into a scenario to either counter or build a stronger team, you may not like this game.

If I don’t like an unfair game, that preys upon peoples emotions, and has a fundamentally unbalanced mechanic of leveling and pay to win schemes, then the game may not be for me. I would rather not participate in a game that cheats me out of wins.

Simply put..no I don’t have the same opportunities that my opponent does. They may have several thousand dollars to put in the game. They may have extra time than I do, they may have a better more exclusive guild than I do. A fair game provides a level playing field for all players and does not expect players to play years in order for a game to become fair.

• What’s the fun of playing a game that doesn’t put you and your opponent on equal footing? I mean that’s just the result of Mobile Gaming Trends. Intentionally unbalanced game design that feeds the company money. Literally all I said was I wanted one unit nerfed, and I find it telling that the arguments against that immediately tried to disprove my point by literally reexplaining my same argument in the original post.
  • I think I’ve said my piece. I appreciate you guys views. It’s obvious we all agree with each other. We’re just on different edges of the same side of the same coin.
  • You and your opponent did start on equal footing. He was not given a Houndstooth. You are trying to penalize him for doing more research and developing his fleet better then you developed yours.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

If I don’t like an unfair game, that preys upon peoples emotions, and has a fundamentally unbalanced mechanic of leveling and pay to win schemes, then the game may not be for me. I would rather not participate in a game that cheats me out of wins.

Simply put..no I don’t have the same opportunities that my opponent does. They may have several thousand dollars to put in the game. They may have extra time than I do, they may have a better more exclusive guild than I do. A fair game provides a level playing field for all players and does not expect players to play years in order for a game to become fair.

You can make the same team as the other player, you have access to all the same parts, you can make a counter team. This is all part of the strategy of the game. Wanting them to remove strategy because you want it to be easier is not fair to other players who want to and have built teams by planning and working on a plan over time. The game has not cheated you out of anything.

I appreciate your situation and I understand that others have different RL things going on, but as far as the game is concerned yes you do have the same opportunities.

You can make the same team as the other player, you have access to all the same parts, you can make a counter team. This is all part of the strategy of the game. Wanting them to remove strategy because you want it to be easier is not fair to other players who want to and have built teams by planning and working on a plan over time. The game has not cheated you out of anything.

I appreciate your situation and I understand that others have different RL things going on, but as far as the game is concerned yes you do have the same opportunities.

Literally when did I say I want them to remove strategy? I said originally I’m fine with tough characters but invincible is different. I’m fine with collecting characters so that I can counter, but it takes months to do so. You may have similar possibilities, but that doesn’t mean you have similar interests, there should be more than one way to beat every character and strategy. That’s how Turn Based Strategy Games work. And no one can say the game is fair, because pay to win immediately invalidates a games potential fairness. Idk I’ve said this before but thanks again for y’all’s views I think I’m gonna go.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    What’s the fun of playing a game that doesn’t put you and your opponent on equal footing? I mean that’s just the result of Mobile Gaming Trends. Intentionally unbalanced game design that feeds the company money. Literally all I said was I wanted one unit nerfed, and I find it telling that the arguments against that immediately tried to disprove my point by literally reexplaining my same argument in the original post.

Arena groups are made around the time you open the game mode. That puts you in the same footing.

GAC and TW are based on GP which is a measure of how much stuff you applied at many levels of development. All farming is time spent, so again this means you are facing players with a similar amount of time and resources applied. That is a fair footing.

You seems to have disconnect with strategy in this game and ones like it. There are mechanics/toons/teams that have some element to them that makes it work(synergy). To beat those or get around them, you need to counter that element. This is a simple idea of strategy, it is what makes a team/character difficult to beat.
  • Darksamus51
    24 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    What’s the fun of playing a game that doesn’t put you and your opponent on equal footing? I mean that’s just the result of Mobile Gaming Trends. Intentionally unbalanced game design that feeds the company money. Literally all I said was I wanted one unit nerfed, and I find it telling that the arguments against that immediately tried to disprove my point by literally reexplaining my same argument in the original post.

Arena groups are made around the time you open the game mode. That puts you in the same footing.

GAC and TW are based on GP which is a measure of how much stuff you applied at many levels of development. All farming is time spent, so again this means you are facing players with a similar amount of time and resources applied. That is a fair footing.

You seems to have disconnect with strategy in this game and ones like it. There are mechanics/toons/teams that have some element to them that makes it work(synergy). To beat those or get around them, you need to counter that element. This is a simple idea of strategy, it is what makes a team/character difficult to beat.

So what you are saying is that in order to enjoy the game you must follow a strict path, disregard your wants and interests in other characters, and force the game into an uncreative single meta, that removes all but one strategy so that everyone can be on equal footing? I’m not the one saying to get rid of strategy here, it’s the people who only see the current meta and strategies and limited number of counters who are disregarding the chance for further complexity and strategy that could be established.

All of this, because I said one character should be nerfed, which should show how messed up this game really is.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

So what you are saying is that in order to enjoy the game you must follow a strict path, disregard your wants and interests in other characters, and force the game into an uncreative single meta, that removes all but one strategy so that everyone can be on equal footing? I’m not the one saying to get rid of strategy here, it’s the people who only see the current meta and strategies and limited number of counters who are disregarding the chance for further complexity and strategy that could be established.

All of this, because I said one character should be nerfed, which should show how messed up this game really is.

No, you have many options on how to play the game. Follow every whim and let your heart be free.

Yes if you want to be on the competitive path, you will need to understand the game and how to play it. Players use teams in the most effective way available. If you want to counter that, you would need to do the same. That is the strategy in your roster, build up the most effective attack/defensive characters/teams that can both allow you to win on offense against the teams you will see and hold in the best way you see fit.

All of this because you want a character nerfed because you dont like it or the strategies needed to develop an effective roster. That is a slippery slope in a game where players have built up their roster over years.

No, you have many options on how to play the game. Follow every whim and let your heart be free.

Yes if you want to be on the competitive path, you will need to understand the game and how to play it. Players use teams in the most effective way available. If you want to counter that, you would need to do the same. That is the strategy in your roster, build up the most effective attack/defensive characters/teams that can both allow you to win on offense against the teams you will see and hold in the best way you see fit.

All of this because you want a character nerfed because you dont like it or the strategies needed to develop an effective roster. That is a slippery slope in a game where players have built up their roster over years.

Exactly, the game is fundamentally flawed, and any change for the better eliminates the amount of money and time CG has scammed out of people. You are exactly right. How dare I want the game to be better than it is. Let’s just except the way it is and never question if things should change. That way CG can never learn from their “amazing” business practices. Also thought I might add that they nerfed Darth Vader and other powerful toons recently making them far less powerful to make the game more unbalanced and everyone in this chat is acting like me suggesting a nerf of Houndstooth is worse lol.
  • Darksamus51
    24 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    Thanks for talking with me. I think this will be my last forum post. It’s obvious that people don’t want things to change, and certainly don’t want to question what is best for the game. Sorry if I offended or hurt anyone, it certainly wasn’t my intention, but I think it’s best if I just leave this site behind.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    If I understand this, you want Hound’s Tooth to be nerfed simply because you can’t beat it. That doesn’t seems right.

This game relies on strategy, and while it may be difficult to beat HT, it definitely isn’t unbeatable (I’ve defeated HT somewhat reliably with the Geo fighters, and ships with buff dispells). As many people have already said, the game also promotes roster expansion and diversity, and have given several other reasons why the game isn’t unfair.

But you are entitled to your opinion, and I’ll leave it at that.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • @Darksamus51 I think I may be able to help … if I can see your roster. What is your swgoh.gg? Maybe I can see what you got.
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Exactly, the game is fundamentally flawed, and any change for the better eliminates the amount of money and time CG has scammed out of people. You are exactly right. How dare I want the game to be better than it is. Let’s just except the way it is and never question if things should change. That way CG can never learn from their “amazing” business practices. Also thought I might add that they nerfed Darth Vader and other powerful toons recently making them far less powerful to make the game more unbalanced and everyone in this chat is acting like me suggesting a nerf of Houndstooth is worse lol.

You opponent used a nail, and you want to win with a screwdriver. There is a flaw in this logic.

The game is designed around building up tools in out rotates to overcome situations. You want to change one element to make it easier to beat, without building up the tools to do so......

Correct they made changes, and they stated an actual reason why those changes were made.

Yes nerfing characters because someone doesnt want to farm the counter to them is a bad idea.

HT has counters, it is not unbeatable, and the ship is obtainable to everyone, as are the counters. That is actually good for game design.