Daylight savings time settings?

SWBSD
57 posts Member
edited December 2021
Maybe it did this last time and I don’t remember, but my time settings changed moving my reset from 6 pm to 5 pm. I had shifted work hours and have used my 2 reset time changes so I can’t change it back; what gives CG? Why would the time I set for resets actually change numbers from 6 to 5?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• giphy.gif?****=ecf05e47l3cu555h1shtauh0gqsn8vojnylzd7dmam4kefae&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • SWBSD wrote: »
    Maybe it did this last time and I don’t remember, but my time settings changed moving my reset from 6 pm to 5 pm. I had shifted work hours and have used my 2 reset time changes so I can’t change it back; what gives CG? Why would the time I set for resets actually change numbers from 6 to 5?
    The game does not observe daylight savings. CG didn’t do anything.
  • The game does not observe daylight savings. CG didn’t do anything.
    [/quote]

My settings literally changed from 6 pm, where I set it, to 5 pm, which I didn’t set, which seems weird to me and don’t remember happening 6 months or so ago. The actual number I set for reset did change, though, and while I’m fully aware that no one at CG actually changed it, my real question is why would/wouldn’t this have been coded in?

My job hours still adhere to the time that is actually on the clock, as does everything in this time zone; why would I expect the number I entered for reset to change when the time changed? Or vice versa, why wouldn’t I expect the number I entered to stay the same, regardless of the time change?
  • FYI, I fully understand I probably just don’t remember this is how it has always been and just don’t remember. But it just seems weird to me that this is what happens.
    FYI, I fully understand I probably just don’t remember this is how it has always been and just don’t remember. But it just seems weird to me that this is what happens.
    It definitely happened - and has happened every single time the clocks change wherever you live. And again, CG didn’t do anything. The time changed where you live. Period.

Bear in mind that the world has dozens of time zones, with some of them observing DST and others not, and of those that do, they don’t all change clocks on the same day or in the same manner.

So it is much easier for CG to have no recognition of DST in game, which is how they run it.
  • It definitely happened - and has happened every single time the clocks change wherever you live. And again, CG didn’t do anything. The time changed where you live. Period.

Bear in mind that the world has dozens of time zones, with some of them observing DST and others not, and of those that do, they don’t all change clocks on the same day or in the same manner.

So it is much easier for CG to have no recognition of DST in game, which is how they run it.

Darjelo, I understand all of what you said and that there are multiple time zones and that it has always been this way in the game. I conceded that I probably had just forgotten.

But my settings, prior to the time change, showed 6 pm for daily activities reset, where I set it. After the time change, it shows 5 pm. That change, where the number displayed changed from 6 to 5, had to be coded to happen; I didn’t change it and know there wasn’t someone at CG who went in and changed everyone’s time settings, lol. But that change of the number displayed did happen because it was coded to; my question, besides the possibility it makes it easier for them to administer the game, is why?

And if the answer is because it has to be that way to make the game function properly, then fine, I get that. But a follow up question would be, why not provide us a time limited ability, besides the 2 voluntary changes that we may have to use for work/school/life changes over the course of a year, to adjust it when our local times change? As I stated, that’s why I am in the situation of not being able to readjust, I had changed my resets due to work/life changes. If providing a brief time limited ability to change at dst is too difficult, I get that, too, but as a relatively new player still (only a little more than a year) I don’t see a problem with asking these questions of CG and their reps on the forums, even if the answers seem obvious to longer term players, I’m assuming, such as yourself.
  • One problem is that the Time Settings function in the Settings panel does not reflect the actual local time on the Sunday when we go to DST or leave from DST. So, if you think it is reflecting the proper local time, you will make a mistake if you adjust it on that Sunday. On Monday, though, the Time Settings panel is fully adjusted to local time.

One other note when adjusting you Daily Activities Reset is that your daily activities accomplished might also be reset to 0. So, if you have already done all your daily challenges and then adjust your rest time, you won't be able to get your daily activities rewards for that day. (They might have fixed it since last time, but I doubt that.)
  • The game does know your local time settings though - one easy way to see this is if you’re an officer and look at the raid launch settings.

kw8iqt9qjyib.jpeg

That’s a screenshot of our Challenge Rancor auto launch settings.

Before the clocks changed in the UK 9 days ago, it said the raid launched at 20:00 UTC (21:00 local). I then had to change the launch time to what it says now.

So the game must have access to your clock settings, because it knows what “local” time is for players. The daily activities reset now say 5pm to reflect the fact that your local time has changed.

As for an additional opportunity to change your payout, you do have my sympathy. I don’t see how a 3rd free change annually would be a bad thing, and in fact I think more changes could be made available at a Crystal cost.

I’ve only ever changed mine once (moving everything 1 hour later in the day a few years back) and I don’t change mine when the clocks change. I have a weird 1-2 week period of adjusting to my squad arena being 6pm instead of 7pm etc, but I soon get used to it. Besides, I’m not sure what the people with payouts an hour before me would think if I suddenly moved to their slot!
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    If your payout happens to be at 5PM YOUR time Saturday and YOUR time falls back an hour then 4PM Sunday will be YOUR payout. Your time didn't change in the game but the time where you live did. The game keeps going and your time changed.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • To put it another way - Your payout today is 24 hours after yesterdays payout.

Local time may have changed so that the time “you call it” when your payout comes around is now different. And yea of course all aspects of your life generally do change along with local time, which means that these time changes probably have some sort of real impact on your life and possibly your ability to climb at your “new” payout time.
    But as explained above, there is really no other way to account for the various ways different areas handle the time change (or lack of).

That was sort of the reason behind giving each player 2 payout time changes per year.
  • LD, I’m aware of how DST works and that my payout fell back an hour. But my job hours, based on MY local time, still means that on the clock when I get home, it’s gonna be 5 pm or later. Hence the reason I set my reset time for 6 pm. Since my life by what would be read on the clock didn’t change, I want my reset time where I set it, 6 pm MY time. After reading Darjelo’s response and seeing the game does see local times, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the game to keep the setting of 6 pm I set purposefully to fit the game into MY time.
  • I know what you mean. That annoys me every time and for years. The problem is not DST but that the selected time for reset and so on is changed in the game without the player initiating this. Before DST, I was set to 11 p.m. Automatically changed to 10 p.m. after the change. It's just badly programmed. If the game would simply keep the desired and, above all, intentionally chosen setting and not change it independently, it would be completely irrelevant whether DST or not. It's as if my alarm clock would decide independently that it no longer wakes me up at 7 a.m. (not DST) but after switching to DST at 6 a.m. DST now instead of 7 a.m. DST.
  • And to be clear, I’ve got a more limited window in which I can play and collect the bonuses since starting to play the game or even the last DST change, so my payout time is relatively important for my ability to progress. Hence my question of why the daily activities reset setting would change and if it should. The change in my available time is probably why I forgot this happened to begin with; the reset time didn’t matter as much to me before. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Y903211 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. That annoys me every time and for years. The problem is not DST but that the selected time for reset and so on is changed in the game without the player initiating this. Before DST, I was set to 11 p.m. Automatically changed to 10 p.m. after the change. It's just badly programmed. If the game would simply keep the desired and, above all, intentionally chosen setting and not change it independently, it would be completely irrelevant whether DST or not. It's as if my alarm clock would decide independently that it no longer wakes me up at 7 a.m. (not DST) but after switching to DST at 6 a.m. DST now instead of 7 a.m. DST.

Pretty sure the selected time doesn’t change. It’s based on UTC, which doesn’t change. The fact it also shows your local time is just a convenience thing.
  • CamaroAMF wrote: »
    Y903211 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. That annoys me every time and for years. The problem is not DST but that the selected time for reset and so on is changed in the game without the player initiating this. Before DST, I was set to 11 p.m. Automatically changed to 10 p.m. after the change. It's just badly programmed. If the game would simply keep the desired and, above all, intentionally chosen setting and not change it independently, it would be completely irrelevant whether DST or not. It's as if my alarm clock would decide independently that it no longer wakes me up at 7 a.m. (not DST) but after switching to DST at 6 a.m. DST now instead of 7 a.m. DST.

Pretty sure the selected time doesn’t change. It’s based on UTC, which doesn’t change. The fact it also shows your local time is just a convenience thing.

No, the selected time does change. Mine switched from 6 pm to 5 pm in game, without me changing it.
    CamaroAMF wrote: »

No, the selected time does change. Mine switched from 6 pm to 5 pm in game, without me changing it.

I dont think you are right. I just checked our HSTR which was set to 11am local, a few days prior to the return of standard time. The setting remains at 11am with no manipulation on our part. You likely made a mistake or forgot this happens every 6 months if you live in an area where DST exists.

Now my own arena times are an hour sooner because the daily reset doesn't move, only I did living where DST is a thing, but if you set your time for a certain UTC that will not change (just the local time will update to whatever your zone is relative to UTC.)

But the UTC time didn’t change.
  • CamaroAMF wrote: »

Here’s a pic to be clear on what I’m saying:

xmnvjejr69u7.jpeg

Ignoring my finger painted writing, but on Saturday, my reset time was set to 6 pm. On Sunday, the reset time, without me changing it, it changed to 5 pm. All I want is for it to be set back to 6 pm, but because I had moved it due to work 3 months ago, I am now out of voluntary changes. That led to me questioning why the actual time setting was changed and/or why the game would be coded to do this.
  • HolyDarkblade
    267 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Im in JST timezone and we dont do DST. However, Ive noticed that events have all moved an hour forward. So my events (like AB, Bounty Hunter, GC etc) dont start when my squad payout is, but now when my fleet PO happens.
  • This is actually the reason they allow us to adjust our payouts. This is a new feature a few years back so when DST happens we can adjust to keep the same payout. That's why you get 2 a year
  • Larx
    371 posts Member
    yep. i see no issue here. its the same thing since this game started. just have to wait 360 days

I thought you had understood the mechanics earlier, but you are still making the same mistake.

When you select a daily reset time, you are selecting a time in UTC, which does not ever change.

I don't know where you live, but I happen to live in the UK, so I spend roughly half the year with my local time being UTC and the other half of the year with my local time being UTC+1.

When I selected my daily reset, at midnight UTC, my daily reset will not change relative to UTC ever unless I change it again. When the UK moves to British Summer Time, and my local time changes to UTC+1, my daily reset is not changed in game. It still happens at midnight UTC. Of course, in my local time zone my daily reset is now 1am, but that's not because the game has changed anything, it's because my time zone has changed.

SWBSD wrote: »

Here’s a pic to be clear on what I’m saying:

xmnvjejr69u7.jpeg

Ignoring my finger painted writing, but on Saturday, my reset time was set to 6 pm. On Sunday, the reset time, without me changing it, it changed to 5 pm. All I want is for it to be set back to 6 pm, but because I had moved it due to work 3 months ago, I am now out of voluntary changes. That led to me questioning why the actual time setting was changed and/or why the game would be coded to do this.

That image is displaying local times. They were not changed in game. Your squad arena and fleet arena payout is still shared with the same people it was shared with before your local time change.

• Guys, thanks, I do understand all of what you’re saying, and appreciate your patience. My question was more just a “why” question for CG, why my reset time wouldn’t adjust automatically to local time changes the way all my devices do, without me having to manually change it, which in 2021 seems weird to me.
    Guys, thanks, I do understand all of what you’re saying, and appreciate your patience. My question was more just a “why” question for CG, why my reset time wouldn’t adjust automatically to local time changes the way all my devices do, without me having to manually change it, which in 2021 seems weird to me.
    As was explained above, DST is observed at different moments on the calendar in many countries and not at all in some countries. I think it would be difficult to code a game to reflect all the different ways and timings DST is observed. They have a hard enough time coding data disks in Conquest that work as described.

Plus, using myself as a case in point, even if they did amend the game so that your daily reset moved with a time zone change, not everyone would want this to happen. My squad arena payout is 2hrs after Player X, 1hr after Player Y and 1hr before Player Z. That's the way I want it to stay.

• The two changes on a cooldown were given to us for this exact reason. You used them for your work schedule, and that's totally valid--I used mine for the same thing when we first got them, another friend used theirs because the first day they played they just happened to be on the East Coast so the game was in Eastern Time that whole time.

Take a look at your refresh timer. Odds are it's not much longer. Or, depending on where you live, it IS longer and will last past the end of daylight saving. Either way, it's really not a huge deal.
    SWBSD wrote: »
    FYI, I fully understand I probably just don’t remember this is how it has always been and just don’t remember. But it just seems weird to me that this is what happens.

Last I checked, in Indiana some counties do dayliht saving and some don't, meaning that even within the same STATE you won't necessarily have consistency.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • viltr
    4 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    I change time because daylight savings and my daily activities bugged...
  • They'll be fine tomorrow