[Developer Insights - Kit Reveal
Hi Holotable Heroes,
Kyle Katarn, the legendary Jedi and Rebel operative is coming to the holotables!
Below, we take a dive into the developers’ motivations and inspirations while creating the kit for this fan-favorite Star Wars: Jedi Knight
and Dark Forces
- Light Side, Attacker, Rebel, Rebel Fighter, Jedi
- Kyle Katarn is a utility-based attacker that synergizes strongly with Rebel Fighters
- His mode-specific Omicron ability gives his squad extra utility in Territory Battles
- Kyle has an incredible presence in the Territory Battle gamemode. His unique ability “Blue Milk Run” gives a slew of powerful buffs to help you complete the most difficult missions, including:
- Bonus Protection at the start of every encounter
- Preventing all bonus Turn Meter gain for enemies
- Bonuses work with both Rebel Fighter and Jedi allies
- Kyle Katarn adds three new status effects to the game: Jedi Knight, Force Connection, and Force Influence. See Kyle Katarn’s kit reveal for more info.
- The core inspiration of this kit is centered on capturing the feel of playing Kyle Katarn in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. As your connection to the Force grows, the more powerful you become.
- Kyle’s Basic ability, “This Should Be Interesting,” is inspired by his use of both blasters and lightsabers. We of course went with his most signature weapon, the Bryar pistol, for this attack.
- Kyle’s Special ability, “Just a Guy With a Lightsaber,” is inspired by the crazy lightsaber combat in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. We pay homage to the back flip and lightsaber throw Kyle could pull off in that game with this ability.
- Kyle’s Special ability, “Power of the Valley,” is an ode to many of his Force abilities. While we couldn’t fit them all in! We did try to put as many as we could, however.
- We’d be remiss if we made a Kyle Katarn kit without mentioning “Blue Milk Run.” His Unique ability has callouts to his fight against the Dark Side and contains his growing connection to the Force until he is a fully-realized Jedi Knight.
- Kyle has several call outs to Rebel Fighters which references his time spent fighting for the Rebel Alliance. He also pairs well with Jedi characters in Territory Battles - an homage to his Jedi heritage and training.
- We wanted the character to feel like he really had “leveled up” the way he does in other games, so when he attains “Jedi Knight” both his Special abilities gain powerful bonus effects.
- Kyle Katarn is expected to work well in a Rebel Fighter squad that includes Mon Mothma, Pao, Hoth Rebel Scout, and Cara Dune.
- When facing off against Empire teams, try switching Pao for Biggs Darklighter.
- Kyle’s bonus Turn Meter for every Rebel Fighter will allow you to choose from three different powerful starts: Ability Blocking a specific enemy, giving your team Potency and Critical Chance Up (which pairs perfectly with Cara Dune’s Unique), or giving your team Defense and Speed Up while inflicting Force Influence on a specific enemy.
- Try to call Kyle Katarn to assist often to achieve “Jedi Knight” as soon as possible.
- Place Kyle Katarn with a Mon Mothma-led team or a Jedi team that can call him to assist frequently in Territory Battles.
- Who is Kyle Katarn?
- Kyle Katarn was a famous Force-sensitive Rebel operative and a Jedi of the New Jedi Order. His first appearance was in Star Wars: Dark Forces, a first-person shooter computer game released in 1995.
- He’s a Jedi. Why is his relic icon a pistol and not a lightsaber?
- Kyle is reconnecting with the force in this version of the character, and his Bryar pistol is the signature weapon you start the game with.
- What are the requirements and rewards for the Legacy tier in his marquee?
- You will need both Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar at five stars and you will get 3 Omicron materials for beating it. Going forward the Legacy tiers will require the current marquee character and the previous one at five stars.