Developer Q&A - Grand Arena Championship Changes - 12/02

Replies

  • "Each game will need to test character balancing in a different way. What works for SWGOH might not (and probably won't) work for any other game just due to the way our game systems interact and the tools we have on hand."

    That's a valid point. Just in general, what would be your biggest piece of advice for someone looking to get a career in games particularly as a designer? However, any advice at all regarding that would be greatly appreciated.
  • So can I just place one character on defense, lose again again till I hit bottom?
  • How long will it take for our rating to stabilize to a place where we should be at? Other games using ranked systems like this update rating after every 20-40 minute game, if our rating only changes after every event, won't it take months to stabilize?
  • Screerider
    368 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    Is it possible to add timestamps to answer updates? Hard to keep refreshing and see what's new.

    n/m it's over already. lol
  • Starslayer
    1694 posts Member
    edited December 2021

    Q: Will the skill points be reset at the start of each GAC? If not, how will you prevent a player freshly promoted in Kyber to face the top players of the league during their first event?
    • A: Skill Rating does not reset between GAC's. The matchmaker looks to pit Players of similar Skill Rating within the League against one another. Once the system has run through a Season, we should not see Division 5 Players matched up against Division 1 Players.

    Follow-up on that, because there is a chance i was misunderstood: players finishing at the top of Aurodium will have a high skill rating. So next season, they’ll face opponents in Kyber with high skill rating as well. The thing is, the top players in Kyber won’t get promoted to the next division, so they might share pretty similar skill rating with newbies from Aurodium.
    However, it may be understood as some kind of rite of passage and left like this because it’ll be a pain to find a way around it, but i don’t see it not happening. 2nd season especially, when the guy from Aurodium with a 12-0 rating facing the 12-0 bosses in Kyber. Welcome to the Big League, kid.
  • Starslayer wrote: »

    Q: Will the skill points be reset at the start of each GAC? If not, how will you prevent a player freshly promoted in Kyber to face the top players of the league during their first event?
    • A: Skill Rating does not reset between GAC's. The matchmaker looks to pit Players of similar Skill Rating within the League against one another. Once the system has run through a Season, we should not see Division 5 Players matched up against Division 1 Players.

    Follow-up on that, because there is a chance i was misunderstood: players finishing at the top of Aurodium will have a high skill rating. So next season, they’ll face opponents in Kyber with high skill rating as well. The thing is, the top players in Kyber won’t get promoted to the next division, so they might share pretty similar skill rating with newbies from Aurodium.
    However, it may be understood as some kind of rite of passage and left like this because it’ll be a pain to find a way around it, but i don’t see it not happening. 2nd season especially, when the guy from Aurodium with a 12-0 rating facing the 12-0 bosses in Kyber. Welcome to the Big League, kid.

    A 12-0 in Aurodium is not going to have the same ladder/skill rating as a 12-0 person from Kyber 1.
  • Is the lifetime score going away in favor of a new skill rating metric?
  • In the state of the galaxy post, you showed max crystals, presumably from going 12-0. But the skill score is explicitly designed to get you to a 50:50 win rate. So when players are evaluating if they are going to have a net gain/loss in crystal income, its very misleading. Do you still thing its a net gain for most players once everyone has a 6-6 record?
  • Really appreciate the Q&A. Kind of bummed about half the answers are still addressing folks who are simply confused about how a ladder system works <palm meets face>.

    Hoping some more answers trickle in about questions that were not addressed here (yet) or the SOTG post.
  • Malakas wrote: »
    In the state of the galaxy post, you showed max crystals, presumably from going 12-0. But the skill score is explicitly designed to get you to a 50:50 win rate. So when players are evaluating if they are going to have a net gain/loss in crystal income, its very misleading. Do you still thing its a net gain for most players once everyone has a 6-6 record?

    There have been tons of analyses from Reddit/Discord/YT on this. I believe Kyber-3 at 50-50 is the breakeven for someone currently getting 1st every day with 1 refresh.
  • It is nice to see that fleet arena is also planned to be lessened at some point like squad arena after the system is fine-tuned. Hopefully this occurs sooner rather than later! :smile:
  • So zero answers in regards to squad arena ay? Literally nothing about the crystal refreshes, prizes in there, wait times between matches or the fact you have a sandbox mode right now for free in front of you guys? This Q&A was massively unhelpful for the most part
  • Decicrim wrote: »
    This Q&A format is aweful!!!!!

    Cryptic Answers just shoved down your throat.
    What happens to daily crystals during in between GAC?
    Answer: the gac cadence should be more consistent going forward but if there is a big in between we’ll address it then.

    ****! So does this mean you do not get any crystals on days that gac is not running?

    Dude. They answered this in the original post. You will always get your daily crystals, whether GAC is running or not. Here, they added that if there were a future extended break, they would address the issue then.

    And further to your point ragnarok, apart from the current GAC gap, can you even remember a time that there was more than a week between GAC's?
  • HK22 wrote: »
    What steps are you going to take to reduce the time commitment now that GAC now is the main source of crystals? GAC takes a great deal more time than current squad arena and there are already a great many sources of time crunch. GAC, Conquest, LS Geo running at the same time requires a great deal of time, especially when time is limited due to the real world.

    This ^^^ ... same question I sent in through the pre-event system
  • If the arena changes are happening on the 8th, but GAC doesn't start until the 13th, will we be getting crystals from the arena (old) or from our new GAC positioning for those 5 days? That's 2000-2500 crystals which is a big deal for many.

    Also, since there are no longer points for "defense", what happens if someone puts one wimpy fleet on D with 3 ships and saves everything for offense? They'll get all the points because of going full offense. (This was asked in another thread, but I didn't see a response about it here so I figured I'd ask.)
  • Ultra
    9555 posts Moderator
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    So zero answers in regards to squad arena ay? Literally nothing about the crystal refreshes, prizes in there, wait times between matches or the fact you have a sandbox mode right now for free in front of you guys? This Q&A was massively unhelpful for the most part

    This Q&A is for GAC not squad arena or other game modes
  • Malakas wrote: »
    In the state of the galaxy post, you showed max crystals, presumably from going 12-0. But the skill score is explicitly designed to get you to a 50:50 win rate. So when players are evaluating if they are going to have a net gain/loss in crystal income, its very misleading. Do you still thing its a net gain for most players once everyone has a 6-6 record?

    There have been tons of analyses from Reddit/Discord/YT on this. I believe Kyber-3 at 50-50 is the breakeven for someone currently getting 1st every day with 1 refresh.

    I think technically it's Kyber 4.
  • FYI, "Elo" is a name, not an Acronym.
  • Starslayer wrote: »

    Q: Will the skill points be reset at the start of each GAC? If not, how will you prevent a player freshly promoted in Kyber to face the top players of the league during their first event?
    • A: Skill Rating does not reset between GAC's. The matchmaker looks to pit Players of similar Skill Rating within the League against one another. Once the system has run through a Season, we should not see Division 5 Players matched up against Division 1 Players.

    Follow-up on that, because there is a chance i was misunderstood: players finishing at the top of Aurodium will have a high skill rating. So next season, they’ll face opponents in Kyber with high skill rating as well. The thing is, the top players in Kyber won’t get promoted to the next division, so they might share pretty similar skill rating with newbies from Aurodium.
    However, it may be understood as some kind of rite of passage and left like this because it’ll be a pain to find a way around it, but i don’t see it not happening. 2nd season especially, when the guy from Aurodium with a 12-0 rating facing the 12-0 bosses in Kyber. Welcome to the Big League, kid.

    A 12-0 in Aurodium is not going to have the same ladder/skill rating as a 12-0 person from Kyber 1.

    Because we don’t start with a skill rating of 0 but we’ll get one at launch depending of our GP. Got it (now).

    Thanks !
  • Well... looks like they're likely done. Sad panda.
  • Monel
    2722 posts Member
    Screerider wrote: »
    FYI, "Elo" is a name, not an Acronym.

    wbkkey0b1rst.png
  • I'm a little confused as to how this gives every player the same opportunity to reach max payout - let me give an example to make my question clear:

    Assuming two players of equal "skill" - Player A with an 8m GP roster, and player B with a 6m GP roster and assuming that these two players grow their rosters at the same rate - is there any possibility that player B meets player A in GAC? It would seem that under this system, player B will NEVER be able to get the same level of rewards that player A is since A will always have a stronger roster and the two players are objectively equal in skill.

    So will player A always get better rewards just by virtue of having the stronger roster?

    In a nutshell - do newer players have any hope of hitting the top ranks of Kyber if the veteran players don't quit to make room?

    If I'm misunderstanding something, please set me straight. Thanks for doing this Q&A - I appreciate the interaction and the opportunity.


    This is an excellent question. I was wondering the same thing? It seems if you exclude other variables (Eg assume only FTP) the veteran players in Kyber will only pull further ahead of the rest.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    So zero answers in regards to squad arena ay? Literally nothing about the crystal refreshes, prizes in there, wait times between matches or the fact you have a sandbox mode right now for free in front of you guys? This Q&A was massively unhelpful for the most part

    This Q&A is for GAC not squad arena or other game modes

    The GAC changes are directly linked to Squad arena….you’re kidding me right? You don’t think these changes should’ve been discussed together since there’s plenty to discuss regarding both?
  • Well ... this was brief and a bit underwhelming ...
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    So zero answers in regards to squad arena ay? Literally nothing about the crystal refreshes, prizes in there, wait times between matches or the fact you have a sandbox mode right now for free in front of you guys? This Q&A was massively unhelpful for the most part

    This Q&A is for GAC not squad arena or other game modes

    The GAC changes are directly linked to Squad arena….you’re kidding me right? You don’t think these changes should’ve been discussed together since there’s plenty to discuss regarding both?

    Right, I sent in a Squad Arena prize question that it would have been nice to have answered.
  • With the increased impact of cheating in this mode, have you considered being more transparent? I understand not wanting to discuss individual cases but perhaps publishing periodic stats: #reported, #investigated, # or %confirmed? In the absence of any feedback, the player base will remain skeptical.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    jedilord wrote: »
    Q: What happens if I don't join / Can I just not join and get the daily reward forever?
    • A: If you don't join a GAC Event, your skill rating will drop as if you took 2 losses against an equal opponent. Effectively, this gives 1 round of "loss forgiveness" (eg 2 instead of 3), but ensures that Players who don't participate are moving down in rankings. This penalty is adjustable, so we'll be watching for irregularity and adjusting. But TLDR -- if you regularly miss Events, you will be demoted.
      (Aside: this is also why higher Leagues & Divisions also put increased emphasis on "Win" prizes)
      -Jay

    so why is there a join phase? why can´t we join on auto?
    the 3 or 4 times i´ve missed it was because your buttons were hiding, or i´ve overseen it for another reason, but never on purpose^^
    There are more ways to know its Join phase

    If you click on Arena table, it should tell you
    If you scroll past the GAC table, there should be a red dot notification

    nice and thank you, but every thing you said was no answer at all^^
  • jedilord
    331 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    a new question occured my mind:

    have you guys sorted out a plan for compensations?
    i mean with the old arena, if we faced a black- blue screen a freeze, a disappearing button bug, server issues, restart your app reports, error messages and everything else that i have forgot... we started a new arenafight after 10min or we refreshed it...

    but what is with GAC? what if we loose because of something like that? ca we report it and do we get compensation and no loose-record at all (within our skill point)?
  • How does changing divisions work?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    With the increased impact of cheating in this mode, have you considered being more transparent? I understand not wanting to discuss individual cases but perhaps publishing periodic stats: #reported, #investigated, # or %confirmed? In the absence of any feedback, the player base will remain skeptical.

    The general point is that they cannot be more transparent for legal reasons.

    This general type of display was presented, but was not discussed further.

    They will remain skeptical no matter what, we have seen many examples of people being banned, yet here we are.
Sign In or Register to comment.