Matching algorithm for Grand Arena is unbalanced

Prev1
MacsenAL
3 posts Member
edited July 2022
Apparently the Grand Arena matching are set by a “Skill Set” score. I do not understand how that is derived, but it seems to be the primary criterion by which one’s opponents are selected. I typically find myself up against players at my skill level, but with inventories that are 100,000,00 GP points higher, meaning that my dozen or so hard-earned Gear 13 fighters are put up against opponents with five or six times my capabilities. All my recent “fights” have been ludicrously overmatched. It makes the Arena both boring and intensely irritating. We’re it not for the piddling ‘rewards’ for being pummeled at will, I would not bother entering and am currently just entering and ignoring the events since I stand zero chance of winning. Either the skill rating you use is ludicrously flattering or it is based on a criterion that does not take GP levels in account at all. I suggest you use measurements that don’t match a player against someone with whom he stands no chance.
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• Options
    This round of the new GAC the initial skill rating (ie to determine your round 1 pool) is solely based on GP - so you shouldn’t see so much GP disparity unless you’re at one end or the other of the ladder. As far as how many G13, GL, etc characters you have relative to your opponents - that’s pretty arbitrary and down to the preferences & playing styles of those involved. Skill rating will only kick in to determine promotion &/or relegation at the end of each event and will be based solely on performance. So over time everyone should pretty much find themselves playing against others of the same level. Give it some time to settle
  • Options
    If you'd taken two minutes to read how Grand Arena works as of the start of the current event, you'd know how silly this complaint looks to people who pay attention.
  • Options
    MacsenAL wrote: »
    Apparently the Grand Arena matching are set by a “Skill Set” score. I do not understand how that is derived, but it seems to be the primary criterion by which one’s opponents are selected.
    Try reading, it's very educational.
    I typically find myself up against players at my skill level, but with inventories that are 100,000,00 GP points higher, meaning that my dozen or so hard-earned Gear 13 fighters are put up against opponents with five or six times my capabilities.
    Reeeeally? Opponents with 10 million more GP? Are you sure about that? Would you like to try again with a little less hyperbole and a little more reality?
    Either the skill rating you use is ludicrously flattering or it is based on a criterion that does not take GP levels in account at all. I suggest you use measurements that don’t match a player against someone with whom he stands no chance.
    The starting value was assigned based on GP so your early opponents have rosters of comparable total GP to yours. So if you are badly outmatched at the roster level right now it means that your roster sucks.

Fear not though, when you have been pummeled enough, your ranking will drop to the point where you can happily seal club much lower GP rosters... or try to.
  • Options
    Ah it’s good to see the Christmas spirit alive and well on the forums.

Ho ho ho
  • Celbal
    9 posts Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    How is this a fair match? @CG_SBCrumb_MINI

gbnhj7jftjuy.png
    6w33s4moeryz.png
    cyabmi24t4cq.png
    r5qhsb7ikinu.png
  • Options
    You should read up on the GAC changes they announced nearly a month ago.
  • TVF
    36851 posts Member
    Options
    Also your opponent did a better job at working on dominant teams at the same GP as you.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    So, those of us who tried to have a more balanced overall set of characters might as well just skip the Grand Arena, since we’ll always be stomped? Is that the feedback I’m hearing?
  • Options
    So, those of us who tried to have a more balanced overall set of characters might as well just skip the Grand Arena, since we’ll always be stomped? Is that the feedback I’m hearing?
    That may be what you are hearing but it is not what was said nor is it what will happen.

I suggest you take DarjeloSalas' advice and actually read about the changes.
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    That may be what you are hearing but it is not what was said nor is it what will happen.

Well, after the first round I got knocked dow 2 divisions, and the first match of the second round was even harder. So, it really doesn’t matter what anyone wrote, if my experience tells me I’m just gonna get pounded every Grand Arena, does it?
  • Options

Well, after the first round I got knocked dow 2 divisions, and the first match of the second round was even harder. So, it really doesn’t matter what anyone wrote, if my experience tells me I’m just gonna get pounded every Grand Arena, does it?
    You will continue to get knocked down until you are matched with accounts you can actually beat and then you will start to win some. The only way you are "just gonna get pounded every Grand Arena" is if you suck more than anyone else in the history of sucking.
  • Options

Yes, I'm sure your sample size of 2 rounds of matchmaking having done 4 fights is an accurate depiction of how you can expect GAC to go on forever for everyone. Especially as the first rounds of match making were specifically called out by the developers as going to be painful until the skill ratings have time to bed in.
  • Options

Yes, I'm sure your sample size of 2 rounds of matchmaking having done 4 fights is an accurate depiction of how you can expect GAC to go on forever for everyone. Especially as the first rounds of match making were specifically called out by the developers as going to be painful until the skill ratings have time to bed in.

Okay, six fights, and every one of my opponents has had both both Jedi Revan and Darth Revan. I have neither. Please tell me how that’s a functioning algorithm and not some kind of sick joke.
  • Options

You will continue to get knocked down until you are matched with accounts you can actually beat and then you will start to win some. The only way you are "just gonna get pounded every Grand Arena" is if you suck more than anyone else in the history of sucking.

I’m already down to Bronzium III. There isn’t much further to get knocked down. This is someone’s idea of a sick joke, but at least you’re entertained.
  • Options

Okay, six fights, and every one of my opponents has had both both Jedi Revan and Darth Revan. I have neither. Please tell me how that’s a functioning algorithm and not some kind of sick joke.

There is no algorithm. Equal skill rating go together. Your wins and losses are adjusting your skill rating. You will settle into a position where you can win after a couple of seasons.
  • Options
    In the current system, you will eventually end up with a skill rating that matches you with non GL owners.
  • Options
    I’ve already been moved down from aurodium 2 down to 4 due to losing to GL owners.
  • TVF
    36851 posts Member
    Options
    I’ve already been moved down from aurodium 2 down to 4 due to losing to GL owners.

This should be telling you something about your roster.
  • Options
    In the current system, you will eventually end up with a skill rating that matches you with non GL owners.

“Eventually” And until then I just keep getting slammed. Games are SUPPOSED to be FUN, not FRUSTRATING. Or did the Devs forget that part?
  • Options
    There are 7 divisions below bronzium 3. Shouldn’t take too long.
  • Options

“Eventually” And until then I just keep getting slammed. Games are SUPPOSED to be FUN, not FRUSTRATING. Or did the Devs forget that part?
    The devs didn't choose how to build your roster, you did Or did you forget that part?
  • Options

The devs didn't choose how to build your roster, you did Or did you forget that part?

The devs chose to change how they matched up people in Grand Arena after I’d spent years developing a balanced roster. Or did YOU forget that part?
  • Options

The devs chose to change how they matched up people in Grand Arena after I’d spent years developing a balanced roster. Or did YOU forget that part?

You’ve spent years developing your roster and you don’t have neither Revan ? The plot thickens.
  • TVF
    36851 posts Member
    Options

Post your gg so we can assess how balanced it actually is.
  • Options

I have been developing a balanced roster since the beginning of GA (pre-GAC) and I have adjusted to the changes just fine. As of a minute ago I am now 7-1.
  • Options

I have been developing a balanced roster since the beginning of GA (pre-GAC) and I have adjusted to the changes just fine. As of a minute ago I am now 7-1.

Well, I haven’t been playing that long, so I’m sure I don’t have quite the inventory you do.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

You’ve spent years developing your roster and you don’t have neither Revan ? The plot thickens.

Two years, to be exact.
  • TVF
    36851 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Post your gg so we can assess how balanced it actually is.

So....no?

Ok, then we don't believe you.
  • Options
    I wonder just how many posts are going to be made about this before they realize there’s a post that already explains everything.
  • Options
    I think that there needs to be a rebalance of how GP is assigned based on the level of the characters a player has. So if the player has a roster of under G12 then the GP level will be lower. And as the player adds more G12-G13 the GP levels go up exponentially. Then certain players cannot do the roster cheesing where they only have relics and a minimal number of non-activated charactersor no levelled charactersin turn keeping the overall GP low to cheese there way of winning against lower level players. In effect ruining the experience for all. With my suggestion people with lower rosters and GPs will be matched correctly, and as your roster builds your matching will be matched accordingly. As my current matching has no bearing on my skill. In my current bracket I am 2nd in GP but yet last when it comes to relic'd characters. I had 8 relics at the time of the rounds, as opposed to all others which starts at 47, 41, 40, 38, 31, 25, and 15 relic'd characters. Now how in the heck is skill involved here? If this is the case these guys should be ranked much higher and way out of the bracket. If CG makes the changes I suggest then it could bring back the fun back into the mode. Otherwise its just another attempt to fleece players to get them frustrated at the game and impulse spend to level characters to compete. And yet another event ruined in this game. There is no draw to play as before where there was a climb each round and challenges to accomplish which gave that sense of actually working towards something. Now its just nothing but poor excuse of a mode that does not challenge anything for most.
This discussion has been closed.