Matching algorithm for Grand Arena is unbalanced

2Next

Replies

• Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Hkeyman wrote: »
    I think that there needs to be a rebalance of how GP is assigned based on the level of the characters a player has. So if the player has a roster of under G12 then the GP level will be lower. And as the player adds more G12-G13 the GP levels go up exponentially. Then certain players cannot do the roster cheesing where they only have relics and a minimal number of non-activated charactersor no levelled charactersin turn keeping the overall GP low to cheese there way of winning against lower level players. In effect ruining the experience for all. With my suggestion people with lower rosters and GPs will be matched correctly, and as your roster builds your matching will be matched accordingly. As my current matching has no bearing on my skill. In my current bracket I am 2nd in GP but yet last when it comes to relic'd characters. I had 8 relics at the time of the rounds, as opposed to all others which starts at 47, 41, 40, 38, 31, 25, and 15 relic'd characters. Now how in the heck is skill involved here? If this is the case these guys should be ranked much higher and way out of the bracket. If CG makes the changes I suggest then it could bring back the fun back into the mode. Otherwise its just another attempt to fleece players to get them frustrated at the game and impulse spend to level characters to compete. And yet another event ruined in this game. There is no draw to play as before where there was a climb each round and challenges to accomplish which gave that sense of actually working towards something. Now its just nothing but poor excuse of a mode that does not challenge anything for most.

Too late, gp doesn’t matter anymore in mm.
    Good news (sort of): with SP mm, at one point after a wave of defeats you’ll find a spot where victory will be at your reach again.
  • Salatious_Scrum
    2319 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    If you’re second in terms of GP and last in terms of relics, it sounds like the other people in your matchup invested more into their roster than you did. Meaning they waited to fully upgrade their teams before moving onto another one.

It’s possible they couldn’t care less about GAC prior to the crystal shift. Since the update, matchmaking was first purely based off of GP and is on the process of now moving to skill level. Once GAC settles down, it’s expected that you’ll win about half of any given matchup since you’d eventually be matched up against people that are in a similar situation as yourself.
  • My guild has been noticing that a lot of high GP players are intentionally tanking matches in GA. It turns out that if you get bumped down in relegation, you get easier matches the next time and have no problem finishing in first place. The game almost encourages doing this because you get more crystals for first in the next level down than you do for trying to win at your current level.
  • It's crazy TW still measures by GP. Obviously a 200 million guild and a 300 million guild could compete as long as the 300 million guild has "bad strategy" 🤓🤡
  • Jkane
    220 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    So, those of us who tried to have a more balanced overall set of characters might as well just skip the Grand Arena, since we’ll always be stomped? Is that the feedback I’m hearing?
    That may be what you are hearing but it is not what was said nor is it what will happen.

I suggest you take DarjeloSalas' advice and actually read about the changes.

Well, after the first round I got knocked dow 2 divisions, and the first match of the second round was even harder. So, it really doesn’t matter what anyone wrote, if my experience tells me I’m just gonna get pounded every Grand Arena, does it?
    You will continue to get knocked down until you are matched with accounts you can actually beat and then you will start to win some. The only way you are "just gonna get pounded every Grand Arena" is if you suck more than anyone else in the history of sucking.

There's a history of sucking?
  • Ok so I get its about skill rating and the guys that tank to get easier matchups eventually that will catch up with them. The great disparity in GP is a real problem. To me this should be about facing someone in a fair fight. That fair fight consists of different aspects. Skill, roster modding and roster depth. All of which is part of what we do to build our roster and use it. When there is a great divide in roster GP that is a great divide in availability of teams and the modding of them. If I have 1 GL and my opponent has 3/4 of them plus has modding advantage AND CG has taken away my ability to counter those extra GLs with regular squads for the most part… its not a fair fight. They really need to include the GP as part of their match making algorithms.
  • My guild has been noticing that a lot of high GP players are intentionally tanking matches in GA. It turns out that if you get bumped down in relegation, you get easier matches the next time and have no problem finishing in first place. The game almost encourages doing this because you get more crystals for first in the next level down than you do for trying to win at your current level.

The prize for first place is the same for every league and division. All the way down to Carbonite 5 you get 750 for first. The win/loss, daily and season crystals change, but the event prizes do not.
  • ****, so many of the people on these forums are just really rude and unhelpful
  • Yes - and the good news is that you don’t even have to dig up a necro thread to see it. Just pick any of the fresh ones. It’s fantastic material for anyone interested in aberrant psychology and saves a fortune on lab rats. Also it’s much harder to get attached to forumers than it is to the rats.
  • Sidious76
    10 posts Member
    edited April 2022
    GC... fix your trash matchups.. sandbaggers are out there. Please explain how a 6gl player is in kyber 4 with r8 galore
  • Your opponent has a patchy history of signing up and participating poorly, signing up and participating well, signing up but not participating at all and of course not signing up at all.

• Cappie
    34 posts Member
    Here is an example of players sandbagging CG's new and improved Grand Arena Matchups:

Brozium 2 Divison

First my account: https://swgoh.gg/p/595151251/
    My opponent: https://swgoh.gg/p/446243161/

How is this even possibly a fair matchup? 72 Gear 13 vs 16 Gear 13. That is 4.5 times the amount of Gear 13 toons. GP of 6.4 million vs mine of 4.6. LOL, put them backwards and they match... Maybe their algorithm is that stupid...
  • Cappie
    34 posts Member
    PS: Looked at my opponents guild and several of their members with GP over 5 million and one with over 7 million are in Chromium and Bronzium Grand Arena Divisions. Clearly they have figured out a way to get more wins this way and possibly rank higher in overall season? Makes the whole Grand Arena a huge joke.
  • Cappie wrote: »
    PS: Looked at my opponents guild and several of their members with GP over 5 million and one with over 7 million are in Chromium and Bronzium Grand Arena Divisions. Clearly they have figured out a way to get more wins this way and possibly rank higher in overall season? Makes the whole Grand Arena a huge joke.
    This doesn’t make any sense. Losing now to get easier wins later will cost you more crystals than it gains you.

Sadly, the skill rating system will continue to provide matchups like this, and quoting the number of relic characters or total GP is not relevant.
  • Cappie
    34 posts Member
    So, what is relevant in the new match making system? Why does someone with such a maxed out account in Bronzium and their guild mates in Chromium? Is that what the new system intends?
  • Cappie wrote: »
    So, what is relevant in the new match making system? Why does someone with such a maxed out account in Bronzium and their guild mates in Chromium? Is that what the new system intends?
    Players are matched by their skill rating. It’s that simple.

6.4M is hardly maxed out, but they’ve obviously lost more battles than they’ve won, and you’ve won more than you’ve lost. That’s why your skill rating is the same.
This discussion has been closed.