League avancement, a blessing or a curse?

Crystals are now in the arena as everyone knows. The goal is to get the most crystals, and the higher league you go, the better the rewards. Or is it?

Most crystals are won. In brozium 1 Loosing all your matches will get you 100+3*40=220, and winning all will get you 750+3*200=1350

I am a 2.7m GP player with no GL.

Moving up to chromium will mean that my oponents will be either the best of my division, and 3.4GP+ players for the next month. And i will need more team to deploy(which i don't have). My only winning chance will be to be against people like me, that was with me in the top division. It's simply a loosing setup.

Versus throwing my next few match, to go down bronzium 2 once, and then stay at the top for the next month, with the loosers of chromium, without the need of new teams.

What scare me the most is not really the GP difference, but the extra teams needed. I will be flooded, and i already fight with undersized squads.

Replies

• Move up and let us know.
  • TLDR: Don't promote.

I am in a similar situation in Chromium 1 and need to go 1-2 to promote to Aurodium 5. So let's compare the different results over a 4 week + off week (we still get this right?) so 35 day cycle.

So I took the most basic of analysis which assumed you stayed in top or bottom division of your league the whole 4 weeks, which is worst case because you may actually be able to move up a little to Division 3 or 4 within your league.

For me. Chromium vs Aurodium:

3-0 in Chromium (Lower league) is better crystal income than all but 3-0 in Aurodium (higher league)
    2-1 in Chromium is about equal to 1-2 in Aurodium
    1-2 in Chromium is about equal to 0-3 in Aurodium

In theory if it was all balanced, going up a league should cost you about 1 game. But the increased squad sizes is probably going to be more like 2 games (so drop you from 3-0 to 1-2). I think one extra season at the lower league is probably ideal to build up more squads. You really don't want to promote till you can start going 2-1 in the upper league.

Here is my spreadsheet if anyone cares:

xbde566mtxx3.png
    Grum the third swgoh.gg https://swgoh.gg/p/144884575/
    || Grum the Mighty swgoh.gg || OldBaldGuyGaming Youtube
  • I’m in the Bronzium 1/Chromium 5 situation. I’m currently averaging 2-1 a week. One win a week is profitable over staying in Bronzium. There is also the risk of GL account coming down from Chromium and making me go 1-2 in Bronzium. I’m going to just let the GAC system work and take to promotion. If nothing else I get the silver frame for my profile portrait.
    3v3 FTW
  • I did 30 mins Math, and then realised that the difference between staying and moving up is only 7 crystals altogether in 5 weeks.
    (losing 3 matches just to drop down is a big crystal stash you're not getting, plus then you'd be getting bronze2 rewards for a week)

So, tldr it doesnt matter. I'm going up.
  • Gawejn
    1103 posts Member
    I did 30 mins Math, and then realised that the difference between staying and moving up is only 7 crystals altogether in 5 weeks.
    (losing 3 matches just to drop down is a big crystal stash you're not getting, plus then you'd be getting bronze2 rewards for a week)

How did You count this? Couse in my case going for higher league means loosing around 3k crystals. Just impossible to have 4 more teams and 2 Fleet to stay competetive.
  • Gawejn wrote: »
    I did 30 mins Math, and then realised that the difference between staying and moving up is only 7 crystals altogether in 5 weeks.

How did You count this? Couse in my case going for higher league means loosing around 3k crystals. Just impossible to have 4 more teams and 2 Fleet to stay competetive.

What were your assumptions to get to a 3k difference? I did similar calculations and it wasn't that big unless I assumed 0-3 vs 3-0 which isn't realistic to assume since you are fighting the same people in week 1 (they promoted with you) and you can't go 3-0 every week and not promote. I still think if you are a fringe account that could stay down with 1 extra loss then staying down an extra season is a good idea.

As I wrote, week 0 and week 4 are 3 losses, don't forget to account for that. Than take a realistic guess on how many you'll win and use the rewards (week 1 and week 5 will be one division lower, also calculate for that).
    For me, thats 7 crystal difference in 5 weeks total.

As I wrote, week 0 and week 4 are 3 losses, don't forget to account for that. Than take a realistic guess on how many you'll win and use the rewards (week 1 and week 5 will be one division lower, also calculate for that).
    For me, thats 7 crystal difference in 5 weeks total.

My math showed that you have to average more than 1 extra win a week in the lower division to make it more valuable to be down there. With having to intentionally lose games to stay down its very hard to do that. I feel like if I played to WIN in lower division I would be about 2-1 and if I played to "not move up" it would be more like 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 0-3 which is basically 1.5 to 1.5. I can go 0.5-2.5 in the higher division I am sure. So promote if I can.

• To not promote you have to keep yourself in division 2, not division 1. All of div 1 gets promoted, not the top 10% of div 1. So your numbers have to include losing enough to keep out of div 1 at the end of the season. And some of the win crystals in your calculation have to include the div 2 rewards, not the div 1 rewards.

That's a lot of intentional losses, and you might get some unintentional losses too. Just take the winning crystals when you can.