Can GP factor back into GA matchmaking now?

I've always loved GAC.
Before all the non GL counter nerfs my Vader was a god. Could beat SLKR, Rey, JML and SEE.
After the great nerf things got a little more difficult. But I managed. Would still hit Kyber (in the old system) about half the time.

After the new skill rating things went well for the 1st few weeks. Then its just slowly gotten worse. I am at 7.6m gp. Faced multiple people at 9m gp plus with all 6 GLs.

Now 3 out of my last 4 matches have been players at roughly 8m gp with 5 or 6 GLs to my 3.

I understand that I have less GLs then some people at my GP. And that's my choice. But the simple fact that GP means nothing for matchmaking now makes no sense to me. I like skill rating, but it cannot be the only factor.

Im not expecting to get matched with people at my exact GP and GL amount. But amount of GLs aside, 500k or more GP discrepancy is a big deal. Thats roughly 4-5 more fully reliced teams.

Replies

  • No.
  • Match making for GAC is a joke. Skill rating is a good idea but it should also be linked to GP.
    I am often vs people at least 1mil GP above mine, and always have at least 2-3 people with 2mil GP above in every event bracket.
    I understand GaC is still new and many things need to be fixed, so that’s my feedback for you guys to work on it.
  • If you can’t win and lose, next event you’ll be match against weaker opponents with lower skill rating. This is the way.
  • My 5 matches in a row with 4 of them having 500k GP and 2+ GLs on me begs to differ.
  • DPDJacob wrote: »
    My 5 matches in a row with 4 of them having 500k GP and 2+ GLs on me begs to differ.

    Do you best every round anyway, could be opponents who lost against weaker rosters previous event. Even if you keep losing and losing, you’ll find a spot in the ladder where victory is within your reach. Eventually.
  • The situation for me is that I face an active GAC player I lose due to the GP difference. I'm at 3.1 GP, my opponnents 3.6+GP with sometimes up to 4.5GP. In the third round I mostly face an inactive player and I win cause he doesn't attack. Even with that fact I raised up to Chronium 4. I hope I get my GL soon, so I can balance it out.
  • Don't worry man. I'm Kyber 2, have 2 GLs and a 4* Executor. I lost the previous two matches against opponents having 3 GLs and 7* Executors. My third match I thought will be an easier opponent, well, he doesn't have Executor at all... but has FIVE maxed GLs instead...!!!! Thanks CG!
  • BC7T
    16 posts Member
    edited February 16
    I’m in Kyber 4, but this round of matches 2 of the 8 are from Kyber 3 and I’ve ended up having to fight both of them!

    I take it that’s a result of no promotion/relegation due to the bug.
  • Valeran wrote: »
    Don't worry man. I'm Kyber 2, have 2 GLs and a 4* Executor. I lost the previous two matches against opponents having 3 GLs and 7* Executors. My third match I thought will be an easier opponent, well, he doesn't have Executor at all... but has FIVE maxed GLs instead...!!!! Thanks CG!

    You’re matched with 7 other players with similar Sr. Your adjusted Sr will be taken into account next event, not during the event. You might face easier opponents next time as you lost about 100 sr with 3 defeats.
  • Little update, might matter if CG cares to read any of this.

    Out of my last 9 matches 7 of them have been against someone with 500k+ GP and 1 or 2 more GLs than me.
    Current opponent has 2 more GLs and 1.1m more GP.

    Been trying different defense strategies. Placing more GLs on D, no GLs on D, Exec or no Exec on D etc.
    Nothing works for me. At the end of the day when your opponent has between 5-10 more fully reliced teams than your skill can only do so much.
    Im not the best GAC player by any means. But with the old system I was at least facing opponents with similar rosters.
  • I think one thing that doesn't get spoken about is that the current system is almost designed to work if everyone puts in equal effort.

    I am currently in the most mis-matched bracket I've been in since it started. I usually commit 100% to GAC and always try to do my best, so I really don't know if I've punched too high or what. I'm 7.5 mil, 4 GLs, 7* Exec. The rest of the bracket ranges from 8.0 to 9.8 mil, all with 6 GLs. One person, from CAW, has over 800 6 pip mods. I can't even fathom how much that cost. Here I am sitting with 214 thinking I'm doing well hahaha.

    Now either I've punched too high, or some of the people just don't put the effort in or do not have the time to put the effort in. Either way, there is still a disconnect. You're gonna get to one point where someone who just doesn't care about GAC or can just freely buy the crystals they need is gonna drop to a point where no one in that bracket can beat them because of the huge variance in meaningful GP. You are gonna get to a point where skill cannot compensate for a lack of teams.

    I get that everyone will have a ceiling they will reach and will eventually break through, but when you have krakens dispersing through the lower reaches... well as I said, the system would likely work a hell of a lot better if everyone put the same effort in. Compensating for this however seems near impossible.
  • Why would they factor in GP when it has little to do with winning?

    GAC matchmaking is the best it has ever been. Before skill based matchmaking nearly every GAC was a blowout win, one way or the other.

    Last few GACs most of my matches are within 10-20 points. :o
  • They really fixed GAC, especially with the crystal payouts. I actually participate now. When based on GP, I was always screwed.
  • I think a simpler solution is to make each bracket of carbonite, bronzium, chromium, aurodiam etc. and the 1 through 5's have a GP that is the ideal CG recommends that higher GP's can not infiltrate lower brackets but would allow skillful players of lower GP to punch up but if knocked down they go back down as long as their GP is not above the threshold net sort of speak.
  • GP isn't accurate way of calculating GAC power. Over time this system will get better and better. It needs time (and a lot of time) to balance out. The more time, the more balanced. Forget about the GP and concentrate on what is needed to win. In nearly all of these GP whines the matches end up being close anyway.
  • A lot of time? Bro how long? We need to count it in years? I have simillar situation. I have 2.4GP and what. In my bracket i have now:
    3,7
    1.7
    2.4
    5.9
    5.4
    3.8
    and 5.7
    https://swgoh.gg/p/273888477/gac-bracket/ If u need to see. Tell me how to win with these guys that have 3.5+ GP? Is it fair? Don't tell me Grand Arena need time. It need changes becouse of it. In this bracket it's not depends on skill but only on GP.
  • we also have people sandbagging their rank on purpose to go troll, beat up low level players in carbonite and bronzium which is where i'm at I should not be facing 5.5M players who have every journey character unlocked and have like 30 relics and 30 g12. They going for consistent 1st place rewards by dropping down to smurf on low level players.
  • Sosik34 wrote: »
    A lot of time? Bro how long? We need to count it in years? I have simillar situation. I have 2.4GP and what. In my bracket i have now:
    3,7
    1.7
    2.4
    5.9
    5.4
    3.8
    and 5.7
    https://swgoh.gg/p/273888477/gac-bracket/ If u need to see. Tell me how to win with these guys that have 3.5+ GP? Is it fair? Don't tell me Grand Arena need time. It need changes becouse of it. In this bracket it's not depends on skill but only on GP.

    No it doesn't depend only on GP. You have advantages over the 2 guys in the 3 millions. As for the guys in the 5s, they're not playing regularly.

    So what were the results for you?

  • Sosik34
    2 posts Member
    edited March 15
    No it doesn't depend only on GP. You have advantages over the 2 guys in the 3 millions. As for the guys in the 5s, they're not playing regularly.
    So what were the results for you?
    Ye mayby they don't play regulary.. but:
    1st - loss 3.4 GP, GLon def (can;t beat it for now).
    2nd - loss 3.2 GP could win but here i made some mistakes.
    3rd - 2.1 GP - should win here but cna't beat GAS - mayby i dont have counter for now.
    Yesterday i new GA in 3rd round someone high - i think it was 5.9 GP
    He just set D Revan on defens 155k squad and nothing on north. He just check that i can't beat it.

    In last 3-4 events i meet mayby 1 inactive player..
    You are telling me that GP don't make big diffrence - just skill. But how i can beat guy with 2x more GP than me?

  • So what were the results for you?
    Are my results relevant? https://swgoh.gg/p/628491512/ I'm losing more in the new system than I did in the old system. Lower GP players are scaring me more than higher GP players I face.

    1st - loss 3.4 GP, GLon def (can;t beat it for now).
    2nd - loss 3.2 GP could win but here i made some mistakes.

    According to the swgoh.gg bracket you posted, you won 1 of your first 2 games, no?

    In last 3-4 events i meet mayby 1 inactive player..
    Definitely true. I checked through your last 4 previous to this GAC. I'm not quite sure why you're losing so much. Some matches you're throwing in the towel too easily by the looks. And there have been some very unlucky runs. I can see your frustration. I do feel if you trusted the system more, you'd be doing a bit better. I'm not seeing you use your Imp Troopers much.

    You are telling me that GP don't make big diffrence
    I didn't say that, it does make a difference (*however).

    just skill.
    I think 'skill rating' is a bad term. It's not that much about skill.

    It's all about your win/loss record concentrating on your most recent wins/losses. The more you win, the harder it gets, the more you lose the easier it gets. GP is of course a major consideration *however that is taken into account on how much a player can win after losing.

    A player of 5 million starts to lose, their next matches become easier. If they continue to lose there's a reason for that. The most likely reason is that their GP is ineffective. Particularly if you're telling me that these higher GP players are not inactive.

    Also the bracket you showed me, the 2 players going for the overall win were the lowest GP player 1.6 million and the 5th highest GP player at 3.6 million. The 2 players trying to avoid last place were the 2nd and 4th highest GP players.

    If the player with the lowest (by a long way GP) has gone 2/0, what does that tell you? It tells me that GP isn't the main factor in deciding outcomes.

    With players of 1.6 million meeting players of 5.7 million (yeah that's crazy) it will be a new thing. This means the system is still working itself out, and that a lot of players haven't found their correct league yet. When this happens, most of us should be going 6/6 per season. Until then, hold on, stay positive and wait until you and those around you find the correct division.
  • You are really here complaining that your 7.6m poorly constructed roster is up against 8m GP roster's? Man I WOULD love to only be punching up that small an amount. My 1m Roster is facing 3m+ and my 4m is facing 6m. You are in the good world my friend..
    Grum the third swgoh.gg https://swgoh.gg/p/144884575/
    || Grum the Mighty swgoh.gg || OldBaldGuyGaming Youtube
  • Valeran wrote: »
    Don't worry man. I'm Kyber 2, have 2 GLs and a 4* Executor. I lost the previous two matches against opponents having 3 GLs and 7* Executors. My third match I thought will be an easier opponent, well, he doesn't have Executor at all... but has FIVE maxed GLs instead...!!!! Thanks CG!

    I feel some deja vu reading this, been there, felt that pain.
  • Ally
    44 posts Member
    edited March 23
    3.3m versus 5.3m

    43 relic levels versus 119
    30 zetas v 104
    Relic units 12 vs 21
    G12 12 v 30

    Please tell me how GP doesnt equal a win in in these circumstances.

    The fact is previously it was at least competitive, now theres these massive mismatches at lower levels that you CANNOT win, which makes you just not engage with the game, please enlighten me how that is good for the game
  • But that's not even half of the story.

    Why are you where you are?

    Why are they where they are?

    What meta characters do you both have?

    What's been given relics

    And nothing about mods...

    ally codes would be helpful.
  • Gale_Toral wrote: »
    I think one thing that doesn't get spoken about is that the current system is almost designed to work if everyone puts in equal effort.

    I am currently in the most mis-matched bracket I've been in since it started. I usually commit 100% to GAC and always try to do my best, so I really don't know if I've punched too high or what. I'm 7.5 mil, 4 GLs, 7* Exec. The rest of the bracket ranges from 8.0 to 9.8 mil, all with 6 GLs. One person, from CAW, has over 800 6 pip mods. I can't even fathom how much that cost. Here I am sitting with 214 thinking I'm doing well hahaha.

    Now either I've punched too high, or some of the people just don't put the effort in or do not have the time to put the effort in. Either way, there is still a disconnect. You're gonna get to one point where someone who just doesn't care about GAC or can just freely buy the crystals they need is gonna drop to a point where no one in that bracket can beat them because of the huge variance in meaningful GP. You are gonna get to a point where skill cannot compensate for a lack of teams.

    I get that everyone will have a ceiling they will reach and will eventually break through, but when you have krakens dispersing through the lower reaches... well as I said, the system would likely work a hell of a lot better if everyone put the same effort in. Compensating for this however seems near impossible.

    Agree with everything you said. I’m also in Kyber 1 just treading water at 7.8 mil GP and always facing 9 mil GP accounts. Regardless of the crystals, there’s a bigger disconnect with the game mode when the system forces a 50% win rate. Winning isn’t all skill based. It’s more about the roster size and depth. If you disagree, check back in a month after we have to set 3 fleets.

    While the old top 80 MM system was also bad (sandbagging and min/maxing rosters like Bus), most players had the chance to go 10-2, 9-3, etc, which made GAC so much more enjoyable. Competitive players like winning! I’d take a GAC win streak over crystals any day.
Sign In or Register to comment.