Who will take over for John Williams?

Jaesyn_Beaz
412 posts Member
edited April 2016
The man will be remembered in 200 years in the same vein as Bach, Chopin, and all the other greats of symphonic composition. He doesn't have many years left though and there are many more films in the works. So who will take his place as the composer of the greatest music in cinema? The themes Williams has created are as much a character of Star Wars as Luke, Anakin, Solo, or Vader. If Disney chooses the wrong man it could have as much an effect on the franchise as the selection of Jake Lloyd.
I am Darth Spartacus

Replies

• jake lloyd. no one wants that. It's hard to stand out as a terrible actor in a movie so filled with bad acting. Im sure they will find someone. There are only 2 main movies left. Everything else will probably have a slightly different feel from the core films. Maybe they can get him for the last 2 and switch over for the "offshoot" movies. This also brings up the question of whether or not to have the next composer try to emulate Williams, or go in their own direction.
  • Woah.. I saw this title and thought he had died. :/
  • Woah.. I saw this title and thought he had died. :/

Lol. No. I am just watching the special features and the one about the soundtrack recording he just looks so old and even states he doesn't know how much longer be can keep up with it.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    Apparently a guy named Thomas Newman took over for Williams in Spielberg s most recent movie. First time in 30 years Spielberg hasn't used Williams. Soo, maybe him?
    -Snake
  • Kanye West. He's the closest thing to music genius that's ever been born.
  • FeepCunner wrote: »
    Kanye West. He's the closest thing to music genius that's ever been born.

I want to slap you through my phone screen right now.
    I am Darth Spartacus

Come on now. He's Yeezus.

Picture it now... Luke is on his way to battle high lord Snoke or whatever his name is. He's driving in his desert speeder with some big bling hovercraft spinners on it. He's lookin all hard and Finn is holdin it down next to him. And the Kanye Star Wars music is jamming as they roll up to battle...

Deez Sith **** can't hold me down
    I'm fixin to blast you wit a storm trooper round
    Rey always be sweatin my jock
    But I can't rest til I'm cookin dis Sith in a wok

Empire food stamps don't pay no bills
    So I gets mine wit bounty hunter kills
    My Jedi baby mama's mug be hideous
    Cuz her face mangled like Darth Sidious

(Insert some chorus about Yeezus Kanye being the best at everything ever)

Slangin death sticks swingin my pistol
    Til I met this baller named Kit Fisto
    Taught me troof how to be Jedi hard
    So I don't sweat no 7 star royal guard

Come on now man they need to modernize these movies and get them street cred m I right?
    FeepCunner wrote: »

Come on now. He's Yeezus.

Picture it now... Luke is on his way to battle high lord Snoke or whatever his name is. He's driving in his desert speeder with some big bling hovercraft spinners on it. He's lookin all hard and Finn is holdin it down next to him. And the Kanye Star Wars music is jamming as they roll up to battle...

Deez Sith **** can't hold me down
    I'm fixin to blast you wit a storm trooper round
    Rey always be sweatin my jock
    But I can't rest til I'm cookin dis Sith in a wok

Empire food stamps don't pay no bills
    So I gets mine wit bounty hunter kills
    My Jedi baby mama's mug be hideous
    Cuz her face mangled like Darth Sidious

Slangin death sticks swingin my pistol
    Til I met this baller named Kit Fisto
    Taught me troof how to be Jedi hard
    So I don't sweat no 7 star royal guard

Come on now man they need to modernize these movies and get them street cred m I right?

Ok. I laffed.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • Darth_Vosahk
    46 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    In my opinion Hans Zimmers is as genius as John Williams. He created for Interstellar one of the most beautiful OST I have ever heard in my life, and the good thing is that he is 58 :)
  • In my opinion Hans Zimmers is as genius as John Williams. He created for Interstellar one of the most beautiful OST I have ever heard in my life, and the good thing is that he is 58 :)

This would probably be my choice. His soundtrack for Gladiator was perfect in almost every way.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • I kind of wish they had brought in someone new for Episode VII. I was seriously unimpressed with the music. I didn't feel moved by the music in Episodes I-III either, but that had more to do with the script than anything else.
  • Amalthea wrote: »
    I kind of wish they had brought in someone new for Episode VII. I was seriously unimpressed with the music. I didn't feel moved by the music in Episodes I-III either, but that had more to do with the script than anything else.

Blasphemer
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • FeepCunner
    64 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Amalthea wrote: »
    I kind of wish they had brought in someone new for Episode VII. I was seriously unimpressed with the music. I didn't feel moved by the music in Episodes I-III either, but that had more to do with the script than anything else.

IMO the music was about the only thing that was worth half a credit in the entire movie

Main antagonist an emo millenial with daddy issues, Finn dropping corny Rush Hour 2 type lines (o yeah you like that phasma!), Rey just looks sort of confused the entire time, and the story was so unoriginal and filled with plot holes that it was offensive to anyone with an IQ above special ed level.
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    In my opinion Hans Zimmers is as genius as John Williams. He created for Interstellar one of the most beautiful OST I have ever heard in my life, and the good thing is that he is 58 :)

I love me some hans zimmer, but I wouldn't mind something different. Don't want too much of a good thing.
    -Snake
  • How about Danny Elfman or Vangelis? Both can write good music scores for movies in fact when the Empire Strikes Back reviews said the score for the movie was likened to an opera every character had a theme song 1Yodas theme 2 the impierial March 3 Han and Leia's theme and considering this Vangelis wrote good scores for Blade runner which also starred Harrison Ford and also 1942 the quest for paradise. Danny Elfman who did Beatleguese and does the music for The Simpsons and also the music for Tales from the crypt and Batman the first movie. These might looked to be considered.
  • I don't want Danny Elfman anywhere near Star Wars. He's great at what he does but a sweeping, majestic score like Williams does isn't his thing.
    I am Darth Spartacus
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Hans Zimmer. Everything he's done has been perfect, and he just said he's no longer writing scores for DC movies.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Are we sure John Williams doesn't have the drive to go on for like 10 more years? I mean, look at Ennio Morricone; he barely even made it to the stage to collect his Oscar and he's still on his way touring half the world.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • No offense but the latest movie was so terrible I hope when the rent to Disney is up GL remakes the last 3 movies. They completely messed up hiring JJ. he has no concept of ....anyway

JW is an icon. Disney will get it wrong on replacement...not because of wrong person but removing his creative ability. Worked for Disney on a project. Micro managers for the micro managers.

I will say the Falcon scenery with Rey flying was uber. If they would have deleted the rest of the film and replayed that over and over I would have paid to see the movie 30 times