6732 posts Member
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    SemiGod wrote: »
    The best content creators are just that. They let their videos speak for themselves instead of putting a misleading title on it. Or putting a 😮 face in their thumbnail, which is just as bad imo.

I’d assume the best content creators are the ones getting the most subs / views / engagement because that is the creator that’s succeeding in the platform.

That then, depends on how you define success. And I agree, likes/views etc is a valid determination.

That being said, if you're good enough, you don't have to resort to clickbait.

It's like when you have a blockbuster movie with millions spent on marketing, but it actually sucks. They might make millions (before everyone figures it out), but that doesn't make it a "good movie".

Do you think that Marvel cares that End Game didn’t win best picture? They made almost 3 billion dollars on a single movie, far more than the last 10 best picture winners combined.

Kinda like some click bait YouTuber who makes 10 times more than your “good” content creators. It’s a job to him and based on his subscriber rates compared to other swgoh YouTubers, he seems to be doing just fine and I’m sure he loses sleep over the fact that you seem to think he is irrelevant.

What's wrong with end game? I don't even get your analogy. If you're an ahnald lover, that's fine. Some people enjoy low IQ entertainment over actual substance.

Nothing is wrong with end game, the movie analogy was yours. Just saying it isn’t going to win best picture but then their goal was to make lots of money, not win best picture.

I don’t watch his stuff often, but I’m guessing his goal is to make a living from low IQ entertainment, as opposed to your definition of “good” content which apparently takes a much higher IQ to digest but makes other swgoh YouTubers considerably less money. To each his own.

So you can't be a good youtuber AND make money?

Just for fun, I compared Ahnaldt101 to a youtuber my son watches for Fortnite, called TypicalGamer. I've watched many vids with my son and TG is actually Watchable (in my opinon) without rediculous theatrics. Ahnaldt101 has 218K subs. TypicalGamer has 12M. Flashy gimmics only get you so far. Actual talent can do far more.

My bad for assuming we were just talking about swgoh streamers and the size of that market as opposed to everyone on YouTube. If you want to start comparing revenue for streamers of a game with 9 billion in revenue in its first 2 years to swgoh which took 5 or 6 years to get its first billion, then I’ll just consider this an exercise in goalpost moving and bow out.

Calm down. I said "for fun I compared...." sure they're different games so different audience.

But to be fair, you did make income the objective factor on success, and if income is all that matters, even game choice would be a factor on whether or not a person is "good". That's not really the definition I'm going with, but it lines up with your argument.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    The best content creators are just that. They let their videos speak for themselves instead of putting a misleading title on it. Or putting a 😮 face in their thumbnail, which is just as bad imo.

I’d assume the best content creators are the ones getting the most subs / views / engagement because that is the creator that’s succeeding in the platform.

That then, depends on how you define success. And I agree, likes/views etc is a valid determination.

That being said, if you're good enough, you don't have to resort to clickbait.

It's like when you have a blockbuster movie with millions spent on marketing, but it actually sucks. They might make millions (before everyone figures it out), but that doesn't make it a "good movie".

Do you think that Marvel cares that End Game didn’t win best picture? They made almost 3 billion dollars on a single movie, far more than the last 10 best picture winners combined.

Kinda like some click bait YouTuber who makes 10 times more than your “good” content creators. It’s a job to him and based on his subscriber rates compared to other swgoh YouTubers, he seems to be doing just fine and I’m sure he loses sleep over the fact that you seem to think he is irrelevant.

What's wrong with end game? I don't even get your analogy. If you're an ahnald lover, that's fine. Some people enjoy low IQ entertainment over actual substance.

Nothing is wrong with end game, the movie analogy was yours. Just saying it isn’t going to win best picture but then their goal was to make lots of money, not win best picture.

I don’t watch his stuff often, but I’m guessing his goal is to make a living from low IQ entertainment, as opposed to your definition of “good” content which apparently takes a much higher IQ to digest but makes other swgoh YouTubers considerably less money. To each his own.

So you can't be a good youtuber AND make money?

Just for fun, I compared Ahnaldt101 to a youtuber my son watches for Fortnite, called TypicalGamer. I've watched many vids with my son and TG is actually Watchable (in my opinon) without rediculous theatrics. Ahnaldt101 has 218K subs. TypicalGamer has 12M. Flashy gimmics only get you so far. Actual talent can do far more.

Idk if it’s a good comparison since one channel is tied to a mobile game that isn’t very popular while the other one is playing mainstream games.

They aren't exactly equal in that respect, I agree. I'm only illustrating that a person can be highly successful on youtube without resorting to gimmics and clickbait.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited May 2022

That's the most popular creator. McDonald's is fine, I don't mind eating there, but I'm not going to say it's the best restaurant--just the most popular.

Likewise, since movies got brought up by someone, there's nothing wrong with being popular. Popular stuff rules. Hell, Star Wars is incredibly popular and here we all are enjoying it. But equivocating "popular" and "good" is still bad thinking. Ahnold is likely to be the most popular, but that has more to do with personality than quality of information and accessibility (ie: Not just having good information, but having it presented in a way that's easy to find and digest.)

I have nothing against him as a person and if people want what he's cooking, fine by them. But I personally think he makes a big steaming ****, and while it may be the most highly-polished and produced ****, it's still, at the end of the day, poopie.

EDIT: I get why there's a language filter, but sometimes it's working at cross purposes. I'm not saying his work is the word you would think it is based on seeing ****. I called it a word that rhymes with nerd. Which, yeah, okay, dictionarywise means about the same thing, but in a cultural context, is significantly less harsh.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.