What’s the point of the point?

Wed_Santa
931 posts Member
Quick question:
In this GAC round, my opponent neglected to set a defence. I was automatically awarded 2,121 banners. I noted that 2,121 is one point shy of max banners plus 10. Now, is this due to the first fight bonus in 3 v 3 being only 9 points or is there a permutation where my opponent can win by 1 point if they score a perfect round? Im guessing it’s the former but I’m rather hoping it’s the latter

Replies

• crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    edited May 2022
    2121 misses the 10 banners. It is not off by 1.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Maybe you are thinking fleet is only 210? It's 219.
  • Wed_Santa
    931 posts Member
    15 squads x 59
    3 territories x 260
    3 fleets x 76
    1 territory x 219
    Plus 10 = 2122
    I might be old but I can still add up.
  • TargetEadu
    1513 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    I dropped to Aurodium for this round, but the three Character Territories don’t have the same points for a Conquer / Full Clear. The back one’s worth more. Is that it?
  • Wed_Santa
    931 posts Member
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    I dropped to Aurodium for this round, but the three Character Territories don’t have the same points for a Conquer / Full Clear. The back one’s worth more. Is that it?

Alas, no. It’s a riddle, within a mystery - wrapped in an enigma (or maybe it’s just that you get 9 points for the first attack instead of 10 which is a depressingly pedestrian solution)

• Wed_Santa wrote: »
    15 squads x 59
    3 territories x 260
    3 fleets x 76
    1 territory x 219
    Plus 10 = 2122

Max banners on a fleet battle is 79. The game says 76, but it is wrong.

Win - 15
    1st Attempt - 30
    Surviving unit with full H/P - 3
    Undersize - 4 x 6 - 24
    Defeated units - 7
  • Wed_Santa wrote: »
    15 squads x 59
    3 territories x 260
    3 fleets x 76
    1 territory x 219
    Plus 10 = 2122

Yeah fleet max is 79. But you don't get your 10 for first attack if they set nothing so that gives 2121.

Theoretically, if they set only one team that you max bannered then you could get 2131.

• Wed_Santa
    931 posts Member
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    15 squads x 59
    3 territories x 260
    3 fleets x 76
    1 territory x 219
    Plus 10 = 2122

Win - 15
    1st Attempt - 30
    Undersize - 4 x 6 - 24
    Defeated units - 7

Thanks- mystery solved. So, there’s an outside chance that one could set no defence & still win the round. Now that would be a coup de grace
  • Jakdnels
    786 posts Member
    15 squads x 59
    3 territories x 260
    3 fleets x 76
    1 territory x 219
    Plus 10 = 2122

Win - 15
    1st Attempt - 30
    Undersize - 4 x 6 - 24
    Defeated units - 7

Thanks- mystery solved. So, there’s an outside chance that one could set no defence & still win the round. Now that would be a coup de grace

Yes, apparently so. Last week I scored 2121 against an opponent that set 1 weak defense in each zone, but I didn't get perfect scores. If I had set no defense and soloed a team for a few more banners, I could have won without setting a defense.

But this was an extreme edge case where my opponent was not interested in winning at all... Pretty unlikely they match up with someone with no defense set.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Jakdnels wrote: »
    15 squads x 59
    3 territories x 260
    3 fleets x 76
    1 territory x 219
    Plus 10 = 2122

Win - 15
    1st Attempt - 30
    Undersize - 4 x 6 - 24
    Defeated units - 7

Yes, apparently so. Last week I scored 2121 against an opponent that set 1 weak defense in each zone, but I didn't get perfect scores. If I had set no defense and soloed a team for a few more banners, I could have won without setting a defense.

But this was an extreme edge case where my opponent was not interested in winning at all... Pretty unlikely they match up with someone with no defense set.

You would have had to solo nearly everything, including ships. You only have a 10 banner wiggle room across 18 fights. So if they set anything that's not level 1 ships down in fleet zone, that's a huge chunk of the banners right there.
  • Zumwan
    354 posts Member
    I'd love to see someone win such a matchup. Would make a great YT video.
  • TargetEadu
    1513 posts Member
    crzydroid wrote: »
    15 squads x 59
    3 territories x 260
    3 fleets x 76
    1 territory x 219
    Plus 10 = 2122

Win - 15
    1st Attempt - 30
    Undersize - 4 x 6 - 24
    Defeated units - 7

You would have had to solo nearly everything, including ships. You only have a 10 banner wiggle room across 18 fights. So if they set anything that's not level 1 ships down in fleet zone, that's a huge chunk of the banners right there.

The point (heh) is that it can happen, and there’s not a single thing you as the defense-setter can do about it (besides set an actual defense, but that’s at the start of the round anyway).
  • Granolo
    213 posts Member
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    crzydroid wrote: »
    15 squads x 59
    3 territories x 260
    3 fleets x 76
    1 territory x 219
    Plus 10 = 2122

Win - 15
    1st Attempt - 30
    Undersize - 4 x 6 - 24
    Defeated units - 7

The point (heh) is that it can happen, and there’s not a single thing you as the defense-setter can do about it (besides set an actual defense, but that’s at the start of the round anyway).

The lesson would be that if you're planning on filling ALL YOUR DEFENSE with lvl 1 toons, better left them empty.

But if you set a semi decent defense, the chances are virtually 0. The other would need 10 full HP + full prot solos, and 9 full hp + full 2 mans to pull it off.