We need a competitive game mode

I know this most likely has no effect at all, but I still want to vent.

I am a highly competitive player. And for me most of the fun is within competitive game modes.
With the introduction of Datacrons to previously competitive game modes, player knowledge, skill or rosters are no longer the most determining factors for a win.

Datacrons trivialize mods. Many of us built strong mod rosters over many years. Investing a lot of money into well working and well tuned teams.

@CG_SBCrumb mentioned in Hynseys live stream that CG is well aware of the workload of TW officers and tries to keep it the same. After 4 TWs with Datacrons as a TW lead I can only say: You failed. Hard.

In case one of you actually reads and listens: At a competitive level counters to teams come and go in a certain pattern: Somebody finds/theorycrafts a counter, it gets tested to know boundaries and limitations, then the guilds modding is adjusted to get it working reliably and after some TWs your guild feels comfortable executing the counter and it becomes a staple.

The time demanded for the game has gone up significantly for everybody with Datacrons without adding any significant value. Some things are interesting. But since they are not well accessible, they are more harmful than anything else.

Datacron abilities and mechanics are not well thought through. Chapter 1 Economy was bad. 2 Must have lvl 9 Datacrons (Rey & JMK), a must have lvl 6 (GAS) and at least 2 very impactful lvl 3 (LV, SK).
2 more strong lvl 9 DCs (Aayla and 2nd Sister) and a few more for other teams.

If you could get all these must-haves as a F2P with proper engagement in conquest and 3/4 TW wins, then that would have been okay.

Then TW and GAC would still be competitive game modes.

I gave Datacrons a good shot. I digged well into them and have collected quite a lot of strong ones. Awesome I can beat Caw Patrol guys in GAC now. Looks great on paper. my pesky little 9M GP account with half the mod depth of CP players suddenly has the high ground against some of them.

Does it feel rewarding? Mostly no. Yes the top 100 GAC matches are a little different. It is interesting, mostly because it is new, but thats it.

The previous 5v5 matches around top 500 against strong players of my size felt more rewarding.because no Datacrons were involved and it all came down to how well we could execute counters and how well we built our accounts.

I don't mind making TW and GAC your Datacron playground, but at least offer the old stuff again. If you want to shake up the meta, then give everybody a fixed amount of materials that you can't increase with money.

The more money is involved the less competitive the game becomes.

Look at GAC now. Does anybody truly believe Kabuki, Sashaisha or Aesop Rock are the best players in this game? They are the best among the heavy spenders, not more not less.

TL;DR: Give us a somewhat competitive game mode again. And if Datacrons are here to stay, then make them less impactful (+120% damage just from stats is flat out stupid) and more accessible. A player who properly engages with Conquest and TW should be able to get all impactful Datacrons so that chapters only change the meta, but don't exclude F2P or light spenders.

And looking at the person who leaked Datacrons ahead of time: He had the best intentions. He wanted to protect you CG from ruining your own game.

Replies

• LordDirt
    4997 posts Member
    You guys loved GA, loved when they moved crystals to GA, now you need to love datacrons in GA. Lay in the bed you made.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    You guys loved GA, loved when they moved crystals to GA, now you need to love datacrons in GA. Lay in the bed you made.

???

Who is 'you guys'?
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Lumiya
    1473 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »

I remember quite a few who didn't like it, me included.
    Granted, the majority did but even then. One thing has nothing to do with the other. You can like the new GAC, you can like that they moved crystals there but you can dislike Datacrons. Where is the correlation?
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Lumiya wrote: »

Granted, the majority did but even then. One thing has nothing to do with the other. You can like the new GAC, you can like that they moved crystals there but you can dislike Datacrons. Where is the correlation?

I think he's implying that the crystals were moved there as a carrot to entice/justify spending perpetually rather than once every 6-9 months when the GL meta in arena changed. It's unsurprising they didn't increase every player's average crystal income without any strings
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator

i mean they included datacrons in every PvP game mode, its PvP related modifier

Doesn't matter if crystals stayed in SA or moved to GAC or if CG introduces a new PvP game mode, it'll have datacrons
  • LordDirt
    4997 posts Member
    They will continue to add to GA, majority seemed to love it before so they should love all the changes to GA. Embrace the future, you helped create it.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • What great business model of doing something that is almost universally hated and pushing the number customers to leave. Great job CG. Guess the short term gain is worth permanent damage.
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    What kind of competitive game mode would u want?

Paid to win experience - datacons
    Guild vs guild - TW
    GP specific - proving grounds
    GAC for your entire roster

So not sure what you are looking for

Unless ur looking for a paywall experience

Or a trial period toon where you can use a specific toon for a limited amount of time
  • MilHanso
    291 posts Member
    Shhhhhhh... Please, stop giving CG stupid ideas... They'll sure implement them... :D
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
    They will continue to add to GA, majority seemed to love it before so they should love all the changes to GA. Embrace the future, you helped create it.

Wait............are you saying CG takes notice of feedback?!

That's a bold statement!
  • Lumiya
    1473 posts Member
    Lumiya wrote: »

I think he's implying that the crystals were moved there as a carrot to entice/justify spending perpetually rather than once every 6-9 months when the GL meta in arena changed. It's unsurprising they didn't increase every player's average crystal income without any strings

Well most of the people who were against the GAC changes did say that this will be only the beginning and that this will be a way for CG to regulate the crystals given out, nobody wanted to believe us/them.

But even so, I don't think it is the right way to say you people liked the changes now you have to accept everything they do and you have to like it/live with it.

This is not how it works

We are all made of star-stuff

Implying that one was an inevitable result of the other? That's a pretty big leap.

Up to this point I've enjoyed GAC and have engaged much more since they moved crystals there. But me or anyone else enjoying GAC has nothing to do with the introduction of DCs. To even imply that CG introduced them as a result of player sentiment goes directly against all the claims that CG doesn't listen to the players (a claim that you yourself have made many times I would bet).

You can't have it both ways - so which is it? Either they listen to the players, or they don't.

A miniscule number of people have expressed that they are happy with DCs. The majority of opinions expressed on the forums have been in opposition to them. Where do you get this idea that players liking or disliking GAC had anything to do with wether or not DCs we're put in the game?
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • I'm not sure about the "if you have loved something you must love all future changes to the thing" logic to begin with. People change opinions on something because some changes took place, all the time.
    I don't think it is the right way to say you people liked the changes now you have to accept everything they do and you have to like it/live with it.

This is not how it works

WellgroomedTameDunlin-max-1mb.gif

I agree with you. I think dataCONs are awful for this game, and that they are the 'jumping the shark moment' where CG is automating and milking this 7 year old cash cow as much as possible so they can focus on their new LOTR game. It makes sense from a business standpoint. I'm going to take what pleasure I can from the game, enjoy/relish my good memories with friends and my guild, and when it's completely unenjoyable, walk away without blinking. I'm personally choosing not to spend on the game because I think this direction is abhorrent and disrespectful to all the players who have been paying for the dev's paychecks and studio these last 7 years, but I also accept that many whales will continue to spend to gain an advantage, even a temporary one in an escalating, manufactured arms race that can't be won.
  • I'm not sure about the "if you have loved something you must love all future changes to the thing" logic to begin with. People change opinions on something because some changes took place, all the time.

"Not sure"? I am very sure. Loving one change doesn't mean you have to love every change. It's obvious. And we shouldn't feed those trolls.
  • hunchew
    70 posts Member
    Looooki wrote: »
    What kind of competitive game mode would u want?

Paid to win experience - datacons
    Guild vs guild - TW
    GP specific - proving grounds
    GAC for your entire roster

You are missing the point. With datacrons, TW and GAC are no longer competitive, but entirely pay to win, if you are anywhere near the top 10% of players.

I realize that my view is probably completely different from others since I am f2p Kyber 1 top 250 player from a top10 guild, but it doesn't make it less valid.
    In that environment, datcrons changes the competitive nature of the game from who has better mods/skill/theorycraft to who spends the most on datacrons.
  • Screerider
    1359 posts Member
    What percentage of players are in Kyber 1 again? Isn't it like 2% (10% of 20%)?
  • Disruptor92
    842 posts Member
    edited July 2022

??? This has no correlation whatsoever. Take your GA hate somewhere else.
    Post edited by Disruptor92 on
    I don't think it is the right way to say you people liked the changes now you have to accept everything they do and you have to like it/live with it.

This is not how it works

but I also accept that many whales will continue to spend to gain an advantage, even a temporary one in an escalating, manufactured arms race that can't be won.

This is probably one of the most fitting descriptions of the whole situation that I've read so far. Well said.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    We have enough competitive modes, they just need to un-ruin them. What we need is a challenging PvE mode, and I mean challenging for other things than willingness to spend crystals and all of your free time like Conquest.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    We have enough competitive modes, they just need to un-ruin them. What we need is a challenging PvE mode, and I mean challenging for other things than willingness to spend crystals and all of your free time like Conquest.

I prefer Conquest to raids and Galatic Challenge.

Difficult raids, where the guild is relying on you is super stressful for me. Back in the day, I used to dread Sith raid start up.

Galatic War wasn't much fun back in the day either, a daily rng chore.

Galatic Challenge without a feat counter is a bit ridiculous imo. It's annoying and a time waste. It feels half finished.

Where as the start of Conquest I find super fun. I run through as many teams as I can and get as far as I can in the first couple of hours. Ok, it's not so efficient, but enjoyable.

If I were to think of a vs PVE that'd I'd like. I think I'd base it around GAC. Where the PVE GAC would have a theme and bonuses, and probably a little bit of a different mechanic. You don't post a defence, just do offence.

Something like starts 3v3, but you can call in reserves like ships to get to 6v6. The 6th could be from an ally.
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    I rather they have vehicle combat... How to have ships and not have all it's tanks...

And pay wall. Don't forget the pay wall

New energy and new economy to get ur latest tanks. And put it directly under shard currency
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    MilHanso wrote: »
    Shhhhhhh... Please, stop giving CG stupid ideas... They'll sure implement them... :D

It's the only time they listen to us
  • Pazaak