What motivates you to keep playing?

Prev134
I've been playing for around 5 and a half years now, my account is just below 7 million, I have 3 GL's and only about 7 characters not unlocked, but recently I lack the motivation to actually get anything done in game.

I'd like to keep playing as I love Star Wars but I struggle daily now to decide on what to do with my roster, to care about things like conquest etc.

How do you guys find the will to keep playing, I think if it wasn't for the guild I've been in for the whole time I'd have quit a while ago. I've also tried playing other games like Msf and running a 2nd just for fun account, but in the end you're forced to farm certain things to progress the game.

I've tried to quit in the past but I always end up returning after a week or two.

Replies

• Options
    It's a game!It's not a job.Why don't you take a break for some weeks?
    Personally I started about one year ago and right now the motivation is unlocking my first GL. (it will take several months though)
  • Options
    It's all about the guild for me. I don't often agree with AP Gains' takes on the game, but him referring to each of our GAC communities (in my case, about 4 or 5 from the guild that stream together) as book club really rang true for me.

Also, I have 3 kids; the oldest just turned 6. It's easy to find 2-minute breaks here and there throughout the day. But finding time to sit down and play a proper AAA game... not so much these days.
  • Options
    Honestly probably just morbid curiosity about what the next dumpster fire PR nightmare will be when CG attempts to squeeze even more blue-whale milk from their desiccated udders.

some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-burn-batman.gif

pxpcorn-gxng.gif

• Options
    I'm in a similar boat to the OP. I still like playing (sort of) but feel like I'm lacking motivation these days. I just log on a few times daily to get my stuff done and don't really feel the need to push too hard. I'm working towards my third GL now. But something feels like it's missing. I'm an officer in my guild and my alliance is really good, but I'm also struggling to get participation in TW/TB's and it's growing tiring trying to get a handful to communicate/participate.
  • Options
    My motivation is unlocking new toons. First, my next GL. Then, starkiller. Eventually, Grand Inquisitor. Slowly, without stress.
  • Options
    it's been about the guild members for some time for me, would like there to be some positive improvements in the game but I am not holding my breath and even CG's comments and feedback are coming across with the same feelings as the community

I too love Star Wars, but the game has become less fun every week, so who knows, maybe I will take the "take a break" advice but I think it's difficult to take a break and then come back finding out the gap you thought you had has multiplied... The break would more than likely become a quit.

Most importantly, I have stopped spending money on the game

It is only a game but there are a lot of players who have invested time and money in it and it is not easy to walk away from.

Might start a SWGOHANONYMOUS
    This is the Way
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Because it’s fun.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Natetiffer wrote: »
    it's been about the guild members for some time for me, would like there to be some positive improvements in the game but I am not holding my breath and even CG's comments and feedback are coming across with the same feelings as the community

I too love Star Wars, but the game has become less fun every week, so who knows, maybe I will take the "take a break" advice but I think it's difficult to take a break and then come back finding out the gap you thought you had has multiplied... The break would more than likely become a quit.

Most importantly, I have stopped spending money on the game

It is only a game but there are a lot of players who have invested time and money in it and it is not easy to walk away from.

Might start a SWGOHANONYMOUS

Taking a break seems even more difficult now, considering how hard it is to catch up on Conquest characters.
  • Rius
    364 posts Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I am still enjoying unlocking new characters but I am a lower level player, 4M GP and under two years of playing. A lot of games struggle to keep up with new releases and perhaps you are running out of new goals or achieved all the ones which were important to you.

Another good motivation for me, is I am in a great guild alliance, they are always pushing to improve and that social aspect is really engaging particularly for the team modes TW/TB. But also to discuss fleets, GAC and Conquest strategies.

Some players move around from more competitive to more casual guilds or the other way round in my alliance. If you feel compelled to be highly active in a competitive guild but not really motivated might burn you out and become demanding. Or if you want to win more in a casual guild may get frustrating with low activity. Finding the right guild can make all the difference.
  • Options
    I was a player nonstop dating all the way back to December 2015. Stopped playing this past Father's Day. The guild was the only thing that kept me playing, but I still follow the guild goings on through discord. But I've been checking that more infrequently lately.

I told the guild I was taking the summer off, but the more I'm away from the game, the easier it is to stay away. The next habit to break is visiting the forums. 😅

I was also a spender. Shifted it over to LEGO with my son. It's still Star Wars, but my wife's not glaring at me anymore because of my phone! 🤣
  • AlexTheG
    215 posts Member
    Options
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Guild
    Various discord communities
    GAC, especially now that we have 3v3, omicrons and yes even datacrons to spice things up
    Big goals like my fifth GL
    Little goals like getting the datacrons I want or upgrading a toon / squad / ship / fleet
    New toons & ships being released
  • LordDirt
    5003 posts Member
    Options
    My motivation? To see how many crystals I can save up.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    Funny, this is exactly why I just quit yesterday. Was doing the GAS event on my second account, part 4 with the droids and it feels like trying to roll 10 sixes. I remember almost quitting doing this event on my main account, but there were still interesting things happening in the game two years ago. This time, all I could think of was that they haven't told us anything of what's coming, they've basically only released the worst faction since the prepared faction and datacons aren't what what the game needed.

Still getting used to the idea that I don't need to check my phone at certain times of day for bonus energy, shop refreshes, fleet arena battles and conquest. It's nice not feeling like I have to play on my phone at specific times.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    What keeps me playing? Lately, it's mostly habit and a faint hope that things might improve eventually. And also the possibility that my guild might fall apart if the leader abandons ship, it's pretty strained already. There is just nothing to aim for, just the same old grinds over and over. The game desperately needs a breath of fresh air, and the datacrons ain't it.
  • Options
    I'm over 8M gp and have been meaning to quit for ages. I don't want to let my guild down by taking out a large rosta.
    It would be good if there was a babysitter feature, like there was when I played Tribal Wars. You could let someone look after your account for a few weeks within a 6 months(?) period. But knowing this game, that would be open to abuse ...
    If I didn't play this, I'd just play something else, do wouldn't gain any time back.
  • Options
    My motivation is unlocking new toons. First, my next GL. Then, starkiller. Eventually, Grand Inquisitor. Slowly, without stress.
    THIS^^

As long as it is fun i will keep doing it...when it is not i will do something else...
    Was happy when i got Vader (long ago), was happy when i got Malak...am working on my first GL...
    I have fun in wars and conquest...not perfect but fun nonetheless...i dont get the complaints...
    I dont really like datacrons...but not much effetc in my level...
  • Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    What keeps me playing? Lately, it's mostly habit and a faint hope that things might improve eventually. And also the possibility that my guild might fall apart if the leader abandons ship, it's pretty strained already. There is just nothing to aim for, just the same old grinds over and over. The game desperately needs a breath of fresh air, and the datacrons ain't it.

You are right on the money with hope. I think most players on the edge are all holding out hope for some kind of shake up but I’m close to the edge more so than ever. I’ve spent a lot over the years with 9.5 million GP and all the good stuff in game but this was a beige too far. Anything they put in game that completely trashed your hard work and effort to build a nice roster with good teams and mods and gets totally ruined overnight with these garbage ideas running temporarily is just a horrible idea and whoever came up with it hasn’t got a clue about how people would react. This is by far the worst thing that CG could have come up with. It would be easy to turn this around but they probably won’t and hope is probably going to go down the drain.
  • Options
    My motivation is currently Malgus and possibly chasing a new meta fleet. GL chase doesn't excite me but weirdly enough a new dominate fleet would
  • Options
    2.4 mil and it’s all about the guild. GAC isn’t fun being in brackets with people who have more GLs than 0, TW is a nightmare to coordinate, TB/Raids are old, and the grind sucks. If I didn’t have my guild, I’d have quit months ago.
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Guild
    Various discord communities
    GAC, especially now that we have 3v3, omicrons and yes even datacrons to spice things up
    Big goals like my fifth GL
    Little goals like getting the datacrons I want or upgrading a toon / squad / ship / fleet
    New toons & ships being released

Same :)
  • Options
    My addictive personality.
  • Options
    Gac
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    The forums.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    The forums.

Now imagine how much better the game would be if it had discord.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    The forums.

Now imagine how much better the game would be if it had discord.

Given how the [REDACTED] discord is a complete trash hole, no thanks.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH