Did CG really break their promise regarding gear changes?

Replies

• Tiig wrote: »
    Just going to throw this out there…

More than one poster in this thread has stated that they “should be able to get to g11” (some have even stated g12) instantly on any character.

Why? What’s the basis for this? We’re all playing a resource management roster progression game, and I’m confused as to why some players are so adamant that they can self-ascribe the point at which gearing a new character becomes non trivial…..

Let me be super clear… for many of us, perhaps not most, but certainly a lot of players, no toon is worth anything below relic levels. End game players cannot use a G12 anywhere. We are the ones who should be able to get them at least to g12 on day 1 without effort, or they sit in the roster for a month or more un-useable. I’m lucky if I can hit G9 straight up these days.
    Thanks for being super clear. I think it’s pretty clear from the later info in my post that you didn’t include in your quote that I’m also an end game player.
  • ShaggyB wrote: »
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    you fail to realize that you had to gear up 30 toons when you started but new players need to gear up 250.

You don’t need to gear up 250 instead of 30, you can choose who you gear up in a pool of 250 instead of 50. Congrats, starting now is more fun than it was 7 years ago because you have far more choices in your progression.
    On top of that you have much more resources for gear/shards that players had 7 years ago: more assault battles, GC, Conquest, TB, TW, GAC, more raids, more events (galactic bounties and such). And you have double drop on shards that allow you to save energy to farm gear instead, as well as far better gear in daily challenges.
    I’m not saying that more gear won’t be nice though. Good thing that Crumb confirmed in the escape podcast that it was coming, even if it’s later than expected.

To play, yes... to get to end game, no.

Im currently gearing everyone to gear 11.... thats my personal goal.

I stop that to farm things like raddus ship requirements and GL requirements....

But yeah to even get those gear 8, 9 and 10s to 11, i need a bunch of stunguns and carbantis.

Older characters dont need the kyro till last gear 12 piece, so thats nice.... but the rest is overwhelming and should not be at this point

You can do the g11 thing if you want to and that's how you enjoy the game. But gotta admit there's no reason game requires for you to do so and that's good resource management.

2 reasons the game does require me to do that.

1. CG constantly forces us to gear the toons we as a community dont have high gear on... pig guard anyone?
    2. The end game calls and that is about having the most varied character pool to set on defense and use on offense to get wins in gac.

So while i get at the beginning and middle of the game, gear is best spent on the best characters... there comes a point when one needs to simply to get ahead of panic gearing by having the gear already done.

This then gets you to a point where keeping carbantis on hand in a stock pile is much much easier.

So how do you do it... well you start with characters that arent a total waste. Take your pilots to gear 11. Then to relic 5.

Go to teams that counter gac defense in interesting ways next. Jawas as an example.

Save the junk for last, but eventually know you will relic 5 cup

Neither of those reasons exist immediately though. I have 30 characters below g11 as a day 1 player and simply no reason yet for me to put any extra gear on them beyond g8.

Already cleared g13 reqs for profundity and jabba+some assumed fillers that will get announced. But naturally I get bottlenecked on relic mats and have yet to clear those. That's the more prominent bottleneck for end game players assuming they don't gear stuff just because.

Relic should be the bottleneck.

Gear 8 and 9 should not be... period

Ok, just gear everything to 13 then because of -should be-s.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    you fail to realize that you had to gear up 30 toons when you started but new players need to gear up 250.

You don’t need to gear up 250 instead of 30, you can choose who you gear up in a pool of 250 instead of 50. Congrats, starting now is more fun than it was 7 years ago because you have far more choices in your progression.
    On top of that you have much more resources for gear/shards that players had 7 years ago: more assault battles, GC, Conquest, TB, TW, GAC, more raids, more events (galactic bounties and such). And you have double drop on shards that allow you to save energy to farm gear instead, as well as far better gear in daily challenges.
    I’m not saying that more gear won’t be nice though. Good thing that Crumb confirmed in the escape podcast that it was coming, even if it’s later than expected.

I stop that to farm things like raddus ship requirements and GL requirements....

But yeah to even get those gear 8, 9 and 10s to 11, i need a bunch of stunguns and carbantis.

Older characters dont need the kyro till last gear 12 piece, so thats nice.... but the rest is overwhelming and should not be at this point

You can do the g11 thing if you want to and that's how you enjoy the game. But gotta admit there's no reason game requires for you to do so and that's good resource management.

1. CG constantly forces us to gear the toons we as a community dont have high gear on... pig guard anyone?
    2. The end game calls and that is about having the most varied character pool to set on defense and use on offense to get wins in gac.

So while i get at the beginning and middle of the game, gear is best spent on the best characters... there comes a point when one needs to simply to get ahead of panic gearing by having the gear already done.

This then gets you to a point where keeping carbantis on hand in a stock pile is much much easier.

So how do you do it... well you start with characters that arent a total waste. Take your pilots to gear 11. Then to relic 5.

Go to teams that counter gac defense in interesting ways next. Jawas as an example.

Neither of those reasons exist immediately though. I have 30 characters below g11 as a day 1 player and simply no reason yet for me to put any extra gear on them beyond g8.

Already cleared g13 reqs for profundity and jabba+some assumed fillers that will get announced. But naturally I get bottlenecked on relic mats and have yet to clear those. That's the more prominent bottleneck for end game players assuming they don't gear stuff just because.

I think you and i have a different opinion of where the true end game is.

Apparently you feel the chase of the next big things requirements is the end game where as i see it as using the next big thing.

The only way to ensure you dont have to constantly fill in your roster and panic farm or gear is to have it filled in.

Again relics are where the gate should be.

Since heroic rancor i dont stop at any relic below 5 when i relic anyone. Thats where your entire roster should be sitting right now. Its the bare min requirements for a GL unlock character.

Im sitting at 9.3mil gp.... the highest in the game is 11.7mil and that guys only non reliced character is krrsantan (gear 11). Rest of his roster is relic 7 or higher.

To me, thats what the end game really looks like. That guy literally worries about farming the next new character once its out if he doesnt buy it and then making sure he has the gear and relic mats to handle it once he 7 stars. Thats end game.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    edited August 2022

Apparently you feel the chase of the next big things requirements is the end game where as i see it as using the next big thing.

The only way to ensure you dont have to constantly fill in your roster and panic farm or gear is to have it filled in.

100% untrue.

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
    Since heroic rancor i dont stop at any relic below 5 when i relic anyone. Thats where your entire roster should be sitting right now. Its the bare min requirements for a GL unlock character.

Im sitting at 9.3mil gp.... the highest in the game is 11.7mil and that guys only non reliced character is krrsantan (gear 11). Rest of his roster is relic 7 or higher.

To me, thats what the end game really looks like. That guy literally worries about farming the next new character once its out if he doesnt buy it and then making sure he has the gear and relic mats to handle it once he 7 stars. Thats end game.
    I find your position really confusing. And considering we have basically the same GP, I think it’s worth highlighting the difference of opinion.

Why do you take all characters to r5 now? Surely your guild is already comfortably clearing Crancor, and you can land a spot near the top of the leaderboard if you want to?

I’m thinking of someone like Vet Han and wondering if it would ever possess me to take him beyond the r3 requirement he had for SLKR. I was annoyed beyond words when I took Gamorrean Guard to r5 when his requirements for GL Jabba are only r3.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that the only true “end game” is having absolutely every character in your roster at r7, and to be in the position to immediately take the next character to r7 the moment they come out? I’d like to think there are thousands of us at the true “end game”. Not half a dozen people.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

Your last paragraph is not end game. It's just one of the few krakens exist in the game. If that was end game, are there only like 50 people in the end game? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm a 9.0m gp f2p and I have zero need for panic farming in terms of gear since I simply hoard them and use as needed. There's absolutely no need anywhere in the game that requires all the characters to be in relics (except some minor gp boost for tb).

The thing that fits my definition of end game and me being in the end game is that besides new character shards I have no shortage of resources. I just happen to -manage- them. I have 144 toons at g13 and that's perfectly enough to have at this particular time.

I use swgohevents gear to know which pile I should be increasing like this. Only relic related stuff is left on my current -possibly will be needed- placeholders for the upcoming stuff.

yew2ebaj9ghx.png
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

100% untrue.

Its a hero collector. You either collect them and raise them up or you dont. The point is to raise them all, thats what you do.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

I find your position really confusing. And considering we have basically the same GP, I think it’s worth highlighting the difference of opinion.

Why do you take all characters to r5 now? Surely your guild is already comfortably clearing Crancor, and you can land a spot near the top of the leaderboard if you want to?

I’m thinking of someone like Vet Han and wondering if it would ever possess me to take him beyond the r3 requirement he had for SLKR. I was annoyed beyond words when I took Gamorrean Guard to r5 when his requirements for GL Jabba are only r3.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that the only true “end game” is having absolutely every character in your roster at r7, and to be in the position to immediately take the next character to r7 the moment they come out? I’d like to think there are thousands of us at the true “end game”. Not half a dozen people.

Because thats the min entry point to heroic rancor. That sets the bar for a character to be used in any mode.

Whether my guild needs it or not is not a concern... if i have a character, i want the option to use them in any mode.. otherwise why have them.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

Your last paragraph is not end game. It's just one of the few krakens exist in the game. If that was end game, are there only like 50 people in the end game? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm a 9.0m gp f2p and I have zero need for panic farming in terms of gear since I simply hoard them and use as needed. There's absolutely no need anywhere in the game that requires all the characters to be in relics (except some minor gp boost for tb).

The thing that fits my definition of end game and me being in the end game is that besides new character shards I have no shortage of resources. I just happen to -manage- them. I have 144 toons at g13 and that's perfectly enough to have at this particular time.

I use swgohevents gear to know which pile I should be increasing like this. Only relic related stuff is left on my current -possibly will be needed- placeholders for the upcoming stuff.

yew2ebaj9ghx.png

Just cracking into end game and really being at the end game are not the same.

Its a hero collector. The point is to get them all and max them all.

End game content starts at the highest levels, but if you have characters you are avoiding gearing or farming or leveling, you are open to being forced to do them.

You are then chasing end game content, not playing with end game content.

But again, seems i have a fundamentally different approach to the game than the rest of you... which is likely why you are so ok with gear the way it is.

Back to the gear for a minute:
    Needless to say, when they drop new gear lvls or in this case new relic lvls... they should loosen up on older gear. Thats how its supposed to be done.

As more gear changes coming were announced by crum on that podcast the other day... i know im right, so it is what it is
  • At least we've moved on from "ok they didn't break their promise" to "this is how I think CG should run their game".
    As soon as this happens, i will stop having fun with the game. I like the resource management aspect and i like having fun choosing which character to develop and playing with them. I’m perfectly aware that i will never get them all at max gear (get them all unlocked yes though) because by design, it’s impossible unless you’re willing to pay a gargantuan amount of money. I’m pretty confident this won’t change, so unfortunately, your objective is doomed from the start.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

100% untrue.

Its a hero collector. You either collect them and raise them up or you dont. The point is to raise them all, thats what you do.

You said:

100% untrue, no matter how you change your argument afterwards.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Screerider wrote: »
    At least we've moved on from "ok they didn't break their promise" to "this is how I think CG should run their game".

Seems they agree somewhat considering theyve stated they will be finishing gear phase 1 changes and announcing gear phase 2 changes
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    As soon as this happens, i will stop having fun with the game. I like the resource management aspect and i like having fun choosing which character to develop and playing with them. I’m perfectly aware that i will never get them all at max gear (get them all unlocked yes though) because by design, it’s impossible unless you’re willing to pay a gargantuan amount of money. I’m pretty confident this won’t change, so unfortunately, your objective is doomed from the start.

Its not impossible to do free to play.

But it does require they loosen the tightness on gear 8 and 9 pieces... thus moving the bottle neck to gear 12 and 13, where it really should be right now (and honestly gear 12 is easier to get than gear 8 and 9... which is the problem)

Its not impossible to do free to play.

But it does require they loosen the tightness on gear 8 and 9 pieces... thus moving the bottle neck to gear 12 and 13, where it really should be right now (and honestly gear 12 is easier to get than gear 8 and 9... which is the problem)

I think they need to do a lot more if they want people to max (currently r9, later r10 and more) their roster, considering more characters join the holotables every quarter.

Still, let’s say you’re right (you might very well be, i didn’t do the math) and it will be enough. Then you can be sure it won’t happened because at the moment, by design, it’s not possible. So by doing so, they’ll be changing the game design.
    Screerider wrote: »
    At least we've moved on from "ok they didn't break their promise" to "this is how I think CG should run their game".

Seems they agree somewhat considering theyve stated they will be finishing gear phase 1 changes and announcing gear phase 2 changes
    Seems a lot more than that has been suggested here.

• MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    edited August 2022

yew2ebaj9ghx.png

Just cracking into end game and really being at the end game are not the same.

End game content starts at the highest levels, but if you have characters you are avoiding gearing or farming or leveling, you are open to being forced to do them.

You are then chasing end game content, not playing with end game content.

But again, seems i have a fundamentally different approach to the game than the rest of you... which is likely why you are so ok with gear the way it is.

Back to the gear for a minute:
    Needless to say, when they drop new gear lvls or in this case new relic lvls... they should loosen up on older gear. Thats how its supposed to be done.

As more gear changes coming were announced by crum on that podcast the other day... i know im right, so it is what it is

What is end game content? What is used to beat that end game content?

I didn't say gear bottlenecks shouldn't be loosened up, I made no comment on it. They should be loosened up.

My comments were related to what a player should be able to and what end game is. Toons are not the content you know, the game modes are.
  • To some people, "collecting" is the point of the game. To others, it's PvP competition, PvE growth, etc. We don't have to all play and enjoy the game the same way.

Because thats the min entry point to heroic rancor. That sets the bar for a character to be used in any mode.

Whether my guild needs it or not is not a concern... if i have a character, i want the option to use them in any mode.. otherwise why have them.
    But didn’t Conquest launch after Challenge Rancor*^? Pretty sure it did. My r3 Vet Han is perfectly good enough for Conquest and I was able to invest the signal data / salvage material elsewhere.

You’re welcome to play the game how you want, but you can’t seriously think it’s good advice to take absolutely everything at g13 in your roster to r5 minimum just so you can use them in any game mode - when there’s only one game mode that has that requirement.

As for your guild, it maybe isn’t a concern but I’m sure when it comes to TW or GAC you might get more out of storing up some signal data instead of taking Vet Han and Ima Gun Di to r5, or already taking Han and Cassian to r8 (even though you advised someone on this very forum earlier today to sit on those materials until the update to relic 8 promotions goes live).

* Challenge Rancor. Heroic rancor is something else, that I’m sure your guild are simming every other day
    ^ yes, Crancor launched December 2020, Conquest March 2021. It still seems odd to me to take characters to r5 specifically for Crancor, especially since I’m sure your guild has had it on farm for well over a year.
  • Axis
    78 posts Member
    * Challenge Rancor. Heroic rancor is something else, that I’m sure your guild are simming every other day
    ^ yes, Crancor launched December 2020, Conquest March 2021. It still seems odd to me to take characters to r5 specifically for Crancor, especially since I’m sure your guild has had it on farm for well over a year.

Just a different viewpoint, it seems. Other dude is just saying that he wants to be able to use his characters in every game mode, and you're saying that since you don't need every character for Crancor then it doesn't matter. From his pov, it's about want, not need.

As for the other part of the argument, I've always thought it was weird that CG adds more bottlenecks, not only without removing old bottlenecks but sometimes making old bottlenecks worse.
  • Axis wrote: »

Just a different viewpoint, it seems. Other dude is just saying that he wants to be able to use his characters in every game mode, and you're saying that since you don't need every character for Crancor then it doesn't matter. From his pov, it's about want, not need.

As for the other part of the argument, I've always thought it was weird that CG adds more bottlenecks, not only without removing old bottlenecks but sometimes making old bottlenecks worse.
    Yes, but some players “want” to be able to red box every conquest / galactic challenge whilst ignoring all characters from a movie they didn’t like or an animated series they didn’t watch. CG don’t need to alter the game so that all players get what they want, and in some cases they absolutely shouldn’t.

Don’t get me wrong - I agree that CG including things like cuffs, carbs and guns for the g12 RHS pieces was frustrating and I’d much rather they hadn’t done it. But I’m struggling to understand how ShaggyB thinks that a system where players with his GP (which is similar to my own) can suddenly take all characters to g11 without issue would work.

When should that become possible? 6th GL unlock? 8.5M GP?
  • Axis
    78 posts Member
    Axis wrote: »

Yes, but some players “want” to be able to red box every conquest / galactic challenge whilst ignoring all characters from a movie they didn’t like or an animated series they didn’t watch. CG don’t need to alter the game so that all players get what they want, and in some cases they absolutely shouldn’t.

Don’t get me wrong - I agree that CG including things like cuffs, carbs and guns for the g12 RHS pieces was frustrating and I’d much rather they hadn’t done it. But I’m struggling to understand how ShaggyB thinks that a system where players with his GP (which is similar to my own) can suddenly take all characters to g11 without issue would work.

When should that become possible? 6th GL unlock? 8.5M GP?

Not sure there should be some arbitrary gate like that. They should just be giving enough gear that over time we have so much of it as to make it trivial. The real gate now is relics, and everything before that should be easy. Except because everything needs kyros, guns, cuffs and carbs those are each their own separate gates before we even get to the one that matters.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

But didn’t Conquest launch after Challenge Rancor*^? Pretty sure it did. My r3 Vet Han is perfectly good enough for Conquest and I was able to invest the signal data / salvage material elsewhere.

You’re welcome to play the game how you want, but you can’t seriously think it’s good advice to take absolutely everything at g13 in your roster to r5 minimum just so you can use them in any game mode - when there’s only one game mode that has that requirement.

As for your guild, it maybe isn’t a concern but I’m sure when it comes to TW or GAC you might get more out of storing up some signal data instead of taking Vet Han and Ima Gun Di to r5, or already taking Han and Cassian to r8 (even though you advised someone on this very forum earlier today to sit on those materials until the update to relic 8 promotions goes live).

It's also good to note that one game mode that requires r5's as entry point doesn't require excessive amount of them to finish. Even if an extreme whale guild attacked it with all their might of full r5+ rosters, it won't pay anything extra and what it pays isn't even end game resources.
  • Changing all the Shipments costs to "FREE" for everything would work. Kiss it, whales!
  • It's interesting that people are using C-Rancor and the R5 gate when the real R5 gate right now is datacrons. How many people have leveled up a datacron to rank 6 only to find out it doesn't work because Zombie or Pao is G12. Datacrons are not going away and Relic 5 is the new baseline for PVP content.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Messed up quotes. Just reposted
    Post edited by ShaggyB on
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    or already taking Han and Cassian to r8 (even though you advised someone on this very forum earlier today to sit on those materials until the update to relic 8 promotions goes live).

Yep hes worried about the relic resources... so best advice is wait. Im swiming in some of that, but carbantis, nope

Yep, names are hard
  • CG just seems like a bunch of politicians, breaking their promises. It’s nothing new to life
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    It's interesting that people are using C-Rancor and the R5 gate when the real R5 gate right now is datacrons. How many people have leveled up a datacron to rank 6 only to find out it doesn't work because Zombie or Pao is G12. Datacrons are not going away and Relic 5 is the new baseline for PVP content.

Thats a fair point... though i hate datacrons and only use them on my relic characters... which are all r5 or higher, so didnt notice
    It's interesting that people are using C-Rancor and the R5 gate when the real R5 gate right now is datacrons. How many people have leveled up a datacron to rank 6 only to find out it doesn't work because Zombie or Pao is G12. Datacrons are not going away and Relic 5 is the new baseline for PVP content.

Thats a fair point... though i hate datacrons and only use them on my relic characters... which are all r5 or higher, so didnt notice
    You can’t use datacrons at all if there’s a character at g12 or below, so you’re not the only one who is only using them on relic characters.

R5 is a squad-wide requirement for the level 6 boost of a level 6 datacron to apply.