36 posts Member
edited December 2023
ps7j5nzvdmox.png
6xokipkhke6q.png
gjku8f35xcma.png

Plus one more, all within 30 seconds.
Post edited by EA_Mako on

Replies

• Yeah totally agree, its not the pop ups that annoy me as much as you close one and then click into another section of the game and you get another, then repeat about 4 or 5 times.
    If people want to spend money thats their choice, maybe have a small button somewhere you know like store and then if you do want it they are in there, not force it upon people
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    9edzw1lh95nk.png
    du84k85vaeqc.png
    u968uk3rck55.png
    rnceaz0nn516.png
    scy8vakfha4v.png
    suqnchl11cbt.png
    I visit the store at least 2-3 times per day. I’ll be plenty aware of these offerings over the next 6 days. Just **** is this supposed to do for me?
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    Yesterday’s included a random pop-up for the Hyperdrive Bundle. Apparently, having a permanent button for the HB on my homescreen isn’t enough. Nevermind that the HB is explicitly for brand new players, and offers negative value to a player like me.

YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS. YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS. YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS. YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS. YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS. YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS. YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS. YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS. YOU MUST LOOK AT OUR OFFERS.
    08so4ak2j5l0.png
    qa7mbv918yaf.png
    j3f7mb67bdkb.png
    3njpbdhtkt10.png
    p0luk32rn49v.png
    9hgwpdj8s7iv.png
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • The ads take half a second to clear. You’re wasting a lot more time whining about them than it takes to get through them. Not like we’re having to watch a 30 second ad every time we try to play.

Hyperdrive is also not explicitly for new players. It’s the best value in the game, regardless of GP.
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    q076zzq0cuac.png
    v1zpkernug8g.png
    hc6h5t2owfvd.png
    zmovtsm3kcj9.png
    okibbkbndhln.png
    How about these, CamaroAMF? Do you want any of these?
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    mksnb56r1zqm.png
    m3q9ormpzzuu.png
    pko5rao8ajnv.png
    7x37wwqt40fd.png
    tnwf8vpietzx.png
    t7lujrkn9lpn.png

Did you know Ben Solo is in Conquest? :o
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • CamaroAMF wrote: »
    Hyperdrive is also not explicitly for new players. It’s the best value in the game, regardless of GP.

The Hyperdrive bundle will upgrade 60+ toons to 5* plus some gear and abilities. If they’re already above that star/gear, it does nothing. It explicitly says it does not grant shards, so you don’t even get excess shards for the shard store. If all of the Hyperdrive toons are at 7* and geared, then the bundle will grant you get the warm and fuzzy feeling of having contributed to the $1BN in revenue CG has made since 2015, and nothing more.

I’d be hard pressed to figure out how one gets to 8M GP and somehow has 60+ characters below 5*. That hasn’t been the case for me since the Hyperdrive bundle came out, and yet…

Have you bought yours yet?

• mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    mj1fnbttl3kv.png
    2cwtrjdrn9gf.png
    5d1x7mw4qwh1.png
    16pou5m3o8gp.png
    3hotahyfrh68.png
    v0r4q3zyerkm.png
    vrfw10p6wv5a.png
    vl6joyd3edsi.png
    5x7q7gkcjaqv.png
    iizy7x4y2v96.png

Have you heard of the legend of Darth Hyperdrive Bundle the wise?
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    fp21aw09f2fo.png
    pbxb06e7xrz6.png
    qvor3rep75t2.png
    oc08ylsqsopg.png
    3ulucam3kxci.png
    2y9i0fsazyn7.png
    1ilchlzbp7fo.png

Once you pop they don’t stop
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    os0r5fea3tfq.png
    dls33lh06rol.png
    v1mojlw7lbl3.png
    4vknmbwvwhgt.png
    oq6jjruzxxo5.png
    u9nubv8gpfba.png
    7stgiaxasf05.png
    0qm7cqqde9tt.png
    fewxmo2b6378.png

The reek of desperation. “Please buy something, or EA will take away our pizza party.”
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • The amount of effort it takes to post that many screenshots onto the forums can easily be spent by just closing the pop up windows and ignoring them…
  • The amount of effort it takes to post that many screenshots onto the forums can easily be spent by just closing the pop up windows and ignoring them…

Presumably, the point of the post is to help convince CG to minimize the use of pop-ups for all of us.

In that context, the time for OP to post a few screenshots pales in comparison to the time we could all collectively save by not having to close a dozen pop ups each day.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    And you think there a non-zero chance of it working?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I think bringing attention to it as a problem has a slightly higher chance of working compared to staying silent about it.
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    3ma2nwdi1al2.png
    nt9t62t0u71y.png
    0427aza0sh8x.png
    p0ghu6vnp4kr.png
    frv6aqqgso72.png
    l9bm8zp6ya1x.png
    n3i3a7cx6gfp.png
    r7erqvfljus9.png

It’s nice to know that I’m only allowed to buy the Hyperdrive Bundle once. It’s one more than I can actually use, but still, my cat could go on a spree while I’m not looking.
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    zrlv4rqku2fa.png
    n10h9p7a85fq.png
    av1fle6kwwcx.png
    yt6p5p5oy6rk.png
    kharudosuh51.png
    q9wh14yjkdyu.png
    scb4v4wc3nhy.png
    wy0o57db1whh.png
    3u8ltutb4jup.png
    dmdlwkpzo90t.png
    aqd8vkpzfbqv.png

I like the free calendar pop-up the best, since it came up after I had already claimed the calendar, and after several other pop-ups. Even when CG tries to be helpful to the players they can’t be bothered to verify that they actually are.
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    b9zzn9uvnpg3.png
    en7768rkslwo.png
    i9hilq4v6u8l.png
    7jrprr0izczj.png
    64shm7zlcstz.png
    ar1newp3s7uz.png
    daz0o0489bqs.png
    qauxv8d3r2uc.png
    3x7tby8lcbsx.png
    e43egzpzx4ly.png
    niezz2384p59.png
    bsrencr0js2k.png
    How to leave feedback in SWGOH:
    1. Tap the gear icon
    2. Tap Help
    3. The bot will give you a menu of options. Tap “General Feedback”
    4. At the prompt, type in your feedback
    5. Bot will suggest an article on joining a guild, or rebooting your phone
    6. Choose “That didn’t help”
    7. Wait for C/S rep
    8. C/S rep will ask you what your issue is, even though you’ve already typed it in
    9. Type in your feedback again
    10. A minute later, a different C/S rep is now helping you. They will ignore what you wrote and give you a link to the FAQ page for how to reboot your phone.
    11. Tell C/S rep that offering FAQ page isn’t at all helpful, ask why can’t they just scroll back in the history and read what my actual reason for contacting them?
    12. A few minutes later, a different C/S rep is now helping you. They ask for your player id.
    13. Upload a screen shot of your player id
    14. A few minutes later, a different C/S rep is now helping you. They offer the FAQ page for rebooting your phone again.
    15. Tell them that if they bothered to read the chat first, they could save everyone a lot of time.
    16. The C/S rep from step 8 is back. They ask to verify your player id.
    17. Point out that you already did.
    18. The C/S rep from step 14 is back. They say they really value your feedback and will most definitely forward it to someone who cares and your feedback really matters and totally makes a difference.
    19. Ask what feedback, specifically, they are going to forward, summarized in their own words.
    20. The C/S rep from step 8 is back. They offer the FAQ page for rebooting your phone.
    21. Go back to step 11.

Easy!
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    dz1e527i1nel.png
    oq4gotm646w9.png
    20udmbwhey2g.png
    7rd04qhj1mov.png
    hncdc3405czw.png
    2w0wkkgaty9m.png
    n2uoya0glcr3.png

dz1e527i1nel.png
    oq4gotm646w9.png
    20udmbwhey2g.png
    7rd04qhj1mov.png
    hncdc3405czw.png
    2w0wkkgaty9m.png
    n2uoya0glcr3.png

dz1e527i1nel.png
    oq4gotm646w9.png
    20udmbwhey2g.png
    7rd04qhj1mov.png
    hncdc3405czw.png
    2w0wkkgaty9m.png
    n2uoya0glcr3.png

1. Huzzah, the Hyperdrive bundle, which has zero value for me since I’ve maxed out all the characters it offers, is half off! I can donate to CG’s dental plan at 50% the regular amount. Such a bargain.
    2. There were 7 (SEVEN!!) Executor pop-ups from today. I have the Executor team maxed out. This just exemplifies the casual disregard CG shows to the players. I didn’t include them above because I had YouTube running PIP on top and didn’t feel like editing it out. So I took the CG alternative: copy-paste! copy-paste!
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • Too many posts in the too many pop-ups thread
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    m1oowff17hhl.png
    j62ezsvm1828.png
    aogc23fiobxo.png
    pxjh7w2p1t6a.png
    brshn0chze6i.png
    1xzmzn6mqa52.png
    ifpzh34hu6ia.png
    oxqbpon19a4s.png
    d2sadfoxtaew.png

Another busy day at the pop-up factory.
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • Here’s some scholarly articles on why pop-up advertising is ineffective:

This has been known for decades, ever since Al Gore invented the internet in 1999. But business owners keep getting talked into using them by their MBA interns, who run an A/B test and collect some metrics to show that the conversion rate for adding pop-ups is greater than zero. And that is a Good Thing, so the A/B test becomes a new permanent feature. Then those MBA interns use that success to get a paying job elsewhere before anyone notes that the metrics plummet once customers realize that the pop-ups rarely offer them any value and they devise ways to suppress them or just habitually ignore them.

Then the business owner hires another MBA intern, who runs an A/B test that shows that flooding the customer with more pop-ups than before increases the interaction rate by a non-zero amount. The goalposts have been shifted, as “more effective marketing” now means “more people are clicking the buy button” rather than “more people are completing purchases.” Maybe it doesn’t show any proof of revenue growth, but surely that growth will come once they expand the A/B test to a broader audience.And that MBA intern takes that success and gets a better job elsewhere before anyone realizes that most of the growth in “buy” clicks were accidental because the pop-ups keep appearing a split second before the user clicked on their actual target. Maybe they actually had revenue growth, but only if they subtract the surge in customer refund requests.

The annoying interruption caused by opening the blocking App Store purchase confirmation dialog trains users to rapidly tap the corner of the screen to quickly dismiss the pop-ups as fast as possible without triggering an interrupting App Store dialog. Nobody is collecting metrics to see that the average time for viewing a pop-up dropped from 3000 milliseconds to 200 milliseconds. There is no metric for “customers have developed a level of cynicism towards the company such that they actively resist offers to buy stuff in all formats, not just pop-ups, because the pop-ups took away their sense of agency.” No MBA intern wants to risk their resume padding with a story of a time when they ran an A/B test to remove a feature that had shown past revenue growth and then nothing came of it. Their internship won’t last long enough to see the cynicism wear off in their most expensive customers — those hanging around but not buying anything — or to see those cynical customers replaced by new ones who never develop the cynicism because they weren’t inundated with pop-ups.

So the next wave of MBA interns have to figure out a way to discourage customers from successfully getting refunds for accidental purchases. They call this “purchase retention”, or something that sounds nicer than “legally ripped people off.” And on and on…
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    rs07acqtki87.png
    ej3xon1zvjcl.png
    j7tcmy5j9urd.png
    y2qp15i9okyg.png
    iqrlk6uqfm4y.png
    3iocpk4uvylh.png
    6y3n5taha36u.png
    516dp8zfbgem.png
    krmifsd1sj6q.png
    ubntnq5jmizg.png
    em50x8a81hzx.png
    71xxcb8yzbos.png
    83ged1rp6tnn.png
    ul8tkymb43tp.png
    ute65jrsqfmr.png
    wr5xruh5qpyb.png
    spd2d7a4uia6.png
    9prycfhb6ag6.png
    c6exq7tljg85.png
    c2sbt6knzjrv.png
    u3ehqjz5j37d.png
    z4sj3h69f9bn.png
    37w8hhg530dl.png
    x6ygc82lyec2.png
    wu8qmhrjs4bb.png
    y4zrp6hfcrmb.png
    e0hkgv0c25g3.png

About 10 a day
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • Just yesterday I got one while simming for gear. That somehow threw me really off, because normally they don't pop up there.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    1vk5i1ziy58w.png
    a1r89emjuzea.png
    d60hej5j1vpp.png
    5xj234hd9uiq.png
    e3ndswxkxxp7.png
    rru51zi4dyzu.png
    mu8lpo19f9ks.png
    2bc17mg7lrk5.png
    d74t5gvpvukp.png
    cu6zvdxcisyy.png
    7gk41o9j64g4.png
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    tw26j1fpc54e.png
    n89fq2vxyxcj.png
    aawdzs69y08m.png
    i0mtsd8vu8yu.png
    nqa3vnxe28dp.png
    md7au01n5uyr.png
    tilf3r67u5io.png
    lt7gntip1ujh.png
    b4fw44qtk3cd.png
    blcwvl1s8jao.png
    3cp8d0foq01b.png
    x0qdisgtk4p6.png

Why are the users not clicking on our pop-ups? Could it be that what the users say is true, that there are too many pop-ups, that they’re rarely relevant, so we’ve trained them to never look at them and close them immediately? No, the users are wrong. The problem is that they don’t get enough opportunities to click on the pop ups!
    Post edited by Ultra on
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Please post your image dumps within spoiler tags to be respectful of other people’s experience on desktop and mobile when viewing this thread
  • Too many posts in the too many pop-ups thread
    Ultra wrote: »
    Please post your image dumps within spoiler tags to be respectful of other people’s experience on desktop and mobile when viewing this thread
    Don’t worry, most forumers aren’t going to look in this thread ever again.
  • I don’t know what the big deal is. If the pop-ups work, then CG gets free advertising by me. Even if it annoys most customers, they can just scroll past the images or ignore the thread effortlessly. Isn’t that extra revenue worth all the ill will generated by irrelevant, spammy pop-ups?

Doesn’t everyone win with this arrangement?

Or are you saying that the pop-ups aren’t actually effective and are annoying people for no purpose?
  • Do attachments work?

The ability to not read this thread gives forum users more agency over seeing annoying, repetitive pop-up advertisements than we get in the game.
  • mausfynn
    36 posts Member
    edited October 2022
    Is it just me or do the pop-ups seem less frequent?

The Hyperdrive pop-up was triggered by looking where to farm Raddus. It used to do this only for Hux while I was farming him, but not the other characters I was farming. Both are characters that aren’t in the bundle. It’s not the first character I farm every day. So CG must have code that targets these characters for the pop-up, meaning they’re capable of targeting their pop-ups to specific customers, but choose to give offers to customers that would only lose the customer money.

The energy bundle isn’t a good deal, either. 600 / 50 * 120 = 1440. CG is robbing customers of 540 energy. Players who do the math just learn that offers from CG are always bad, and give them more incentive to ignore the pop-ups, and whatever is on offer in the store. Players who don’t get robbed. Many deals in the store and elsewhere are like this.

Maybe monetizing the game in a way that seems less predatory would gain CG more business than they lose. Imagine players excited to see a pop-up because it meant a great deal was coming their way. Maybe they’d be trained to stop and look at them, rather than training them that they’re a worthless irritant that should be dismissed as fast as possible.
This discussion has been closed.