At a loss

I love GAC but this is one of multiple times that I’ve had to face someone with a gp and roster higher and better than mine. I’m at 1 mil with only 3 good teams (one member of each reliced) and I have to face an opponent who has 6.2 mil and has with ultimate 2 gls ( jmk and jml ) with a billion of other relic teams. I’ve had to face rosters before with higher gps and much better squads (who I’ve only beaten because they wouldn’t play) than mine but this is the peak of the mountain, the tip of the iceberg, the icing on top of the cake. Plz something needs to be done about this for ppl like me who are in the exact same predicament

Replies

• Options
    AHHHHH!!!!!!
  • Options
    I totally understand that, happened to me on 2 months old account pretty much at same power as you have...I really don't understand how any of this does make sense in terms of fair competition. I don't mind fighting harder opponents but 5 mil.more gp?
  • Options
    Did you win, op?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    He lost, but his record over the 24 rounds up to and including that loss is 17 wins and 7 losses.

In some respects I feel his pain. But I’d love that sort of win rate for myself.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this some lately. I'm relatively new and only at 1.7 mil GP but I'm fairly confident that my win rate is greater than 50%. The more frustrating part for me isn't that these matches are more than likely auto-lose, but that of the matches I get to play, maybe 1 of the 3 matches for the week will be against someone who has a roster that is equivalent to mine. It's not very fun for me to play against accounts with significantly less or greater GP than myself. I also get less player feedback about whether I'm becoming a better player if my wins are against people with less GP than myself. It could probably be argued that it's the equivalent of being a newer player to MTG, going to a Friday Night Magic event to play Modern, and getting slapped down by someone who has a deck that cost several thousand dollars :D
    For the majority of people, it likely sucks for the new player because they don't really get to "play" the game and it sucks for the more seasoned player because they get put into this awkward position where they have to play a game that doesn't make them a better player.
  • Options
    It could probably be argued that it's the equivalent of being a newer player to MTG, going to a Friday Night Magic event to play Modern, and getting slapped down by someone who has a deck that cost several thousand dollars :D

Absolutely no it can't.

There is a match making system here and it's based on if you win or if you lose. You win you go up, you lose you go down.

So clearly GP isn't a reliable way to match make to get even matches.

The problem we do have is the players that are losing due to not taking part.

• Options

Absolutely no it can't.

There is a match making system here and it's based on if you win or if you lose. You win you go up, you lose you go down.

Being at carb 3 I don't really have much experience there so I couldn't comment. If that is indeed an issue, I may be at the rank where people start playing for easy rewards again. I would be intrigued by the data CG has regarding participation though :)

I do think we could make the argument that my analogy holds though. In-person competitions, like those in a MTG event, usually employ some kind of swiss matchmaking or tournament bracket that starts with a random seed and then matches people each round based on whether they win or lose. We could make the following loose comparisons then:

1) The matchmaking system between a card game like MTG and the matchmaking for SWGOH GAC.
    2) GP representing a rough approximation of the power of an account and the dollar value of a MTG deck.

In regards to 1, matchmaking is working in the sense that people are getting matched up with each other based on wins and losses. In the case of MTG, we assume that the system will be self-regulating in that there are enough newer players with similar power level decks that will eventually face each other. That appears to be the intention with GAC matchmaking where brackets will even out in the long run in terms of GP and skill.

For 2, we can make the comparison between dollar value of a MTG deck and GP of a SWGOH account in the sense that they are each correlated with power. It's not a causality comparison though as the price of any one particular card is based on more factors than just competitive viability. Similarly, the GP value of any one character is not based on the competitive viability of said character.

Based on this analogy, I would actually agree with you in that the current matchmaking system based on wins and losses is a better system as the equivalent of implementing matchmaking in MTG based on the price of a deck would be kind of absurd :D
  • StrawHatCrab
    5 posts Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I posted and then remembered that MTG has pauper so maybe that's the answer. Bring pauper to SWGoH :D
    Post edited by StrawHatCrab on
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options

Absolutely no it can't.

Being at carb 3 I don't really have much experience there so I couldn't comment. If that is indeed an issue, I may be at the rank where people start playing for easy rewards again. I would be intrigued by the data CG has regarding participation though :)

I do think we could make the argument that my analogy holds though. In-person competitions, like those in a MTG event, usually employ some kind of swiss matchmaking or tournament bracket that starts with a random seed and then matches people each round based on whether they win or lose. We could make the following loose comparisons then:

1) The matchmaking system between a card game like MTG and the matchmaking for SWGOH GAC.
    2) GP representing a rough approximation of the power of an account and the dollar value of a MTG deck.

In regards to 1, matchmaking is working in the sense that people are getting matched up with each other based on wins and losses. In the case of MTG, we assume that the system will be self-regulating in that there are enough newer players with similar power level decks that will eventually face each other. That appears to be the intention with GAC matchmaking where brackets will even out in the long run in terms of GP and skill.

For 2, we can make the comparison between dollar value of a MTG deck and GP of a SWGOH account in the sense that they are each correlated with power. It's not a causality comparison though as the price of any one particular card is based on more factors than just competitive viability. Similarly, the GP value of any one character is not based on the competitive viability of said character.

Based on this analogy, I would actually agree with you in that the current matchmaking system based on wins and losses is a better system as the equivalent of implementing matchmaking in MTG based on the price of a deck would be kind of absurd :D

The thing is, a point I often tried to make is: The theory is plausible and makes sense. The reality is unfortunately different. One reason for that is the Skill squish. Every time they do so, they interrupt the natural sorting and evolution of a system that should be self regulatory. So every time they squish, they artificially influence/change this from the outside and therefor every self regulation during one season has been made moot.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
    Lumiya wrote: »

The thing is, a point I often tried to make is: The theory is plausible and makes sense. The reality is unfortunately different. One reason for that is the Skill squish. Every time they do so, they interrupt the natural sorting and evolution of a system that should be self regulatory. So every time they squish, they artificially influence/change this from the outside and therefor every self regulation during one season has been made moot.

How does the Skill squish work?
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Georgee wrote: »
    Lumiya wrote: »

They want to distribute the players with certain percentages throughout the 5 divisions. To achieve that, they remove or add Skill rating points (sometimes they stay roughly the same) depending on where you are and where the system wants you to be, after the season is over.
    This is the reason why some players in a new season get demoted, eventhough they won their fight, because their SR got lowered so far, that even the win isn't enough for them to stay where they were.

Edit for clarity
  • Options
    Thanks for explanation @Lumiya. So that's why my skill points increased at the start of this season :smiley:
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for explanation @Lumiya. So that's why my skill points increased at the start of this season :smiley:

You're welcome 🙂
    So you were lucky 🙃
  • Options

Poorly! ;-)