TW reroll mats and matchmaking

haloimplant2
37 posts Member
edited August 2022
With datacron reroll mats moving out of conquest we are supposed to rely on TW. But the TW economy and matchmaking is currently broken promoting sandbagging matchups.

A TW win is 3x of the rare mk2/mk3 reroll mats compared to a loss. Assume joining only 80% of the guild basically guarantees a win and you still make 380M, whereas a full join might be 50%, or worse 33% if you run into a bunch of sandbaggers and basically need the dip match to win.

3x 80% = 240% average reroll mats for sandbagging
3x 50% + 1x 50% = 200% average reroll mats for even matchups
3x 33.3% + 1x %66.6% = 166.6% average if you get sandbagged

Clearly a broken economy/system, where you should play less to win more overall. Thoughts? Will this awful situation be improved with the changes to datacron economy? Some ideas: more higher GP brackets, less win/loss disparity in rewards, matchmaking changes like trying to match the number joined.
Post edited by haloimplant2 on

Replies

• Going to the extreme it seems like every top guild should reorganize to ~40 players each at ~400M GP? Then it's the full 300% mats since no one is missing. A few extra stars in TB are worthless compared to datacron reroll mats.
  • Yep, it encourages even more sandbagging than we have already and the matchmaking is a mess.
  • OP is absolutely correct. This system promotes sandbagging even more so than previously.

Currently we are facing a top 10 guild with 42 whales signed up. We appear doomed to a “1 win, 2 loss” pattern until the sandbagging stops.

By having 8 people sit out on a rotation each time, every player in the sandbagging guild benefits in the long term (even those who sit out) because the unbalanced W-L reward weighting.

Is this by design @CG_Tusken_Meathead or is there a future plan in place to correct this?
  • Agreed. But I would just settle for TW being competitive again. This binary world of stomp or get stomped has gutted what used to be the best of the guild modes, maybe all modes if you enjoy team match play. For me, TW was why I kept playing this game. There’s only so much fighting AI to collect video game currency/materials that I can stay engaged with. But now it’s rare that a matchup is competitive. Even more rare to have the excitement of a last second guild win - or even a loss - anymore. That was a much more regular thing before this new economy and MM.
  • StarSon
    7431 posts Member
    Justokay wrote: »
    Agreed. But I would just settle for TW being competitive again. This binary world of stomp or get stomped has gutted what used to be the best of the guild modes, maybe all modes if you enjoy team match play. For me, TW was why I kept playing this game. There’s only so much fighting AI to collect video game currency/materials that I can stay engaged with. But now it’s rare that a matchup is competitive. Even more rare to have the excitement of a last second guild win - or even a loss - anymore. That was a much more regular thing before this new economy and MM.

Meh, TW is awful. The MM has always been terrible. At least now it tries to even out the win/loss so you don't miss out on too many rewards.
  • TVF
    36583 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »
    Agreed. But I would just settle for TW being competitive again. This binary world of stomp or get stomped has gutted what used to be the best of the guild modes, maybe all modes if you enjoy team match play. For me, TW was why I kept playing this game. There’s only so much fighting AI to collect video game currency/materials that I can stay engaged with. But now it’s rare that a matchup is competitive. Even more rare to have the excitement of a last second guild win - or even a loss - anymore. That was a much more regular thing before this new economy and MM.

Meh, TW is awful. The MM has always been terrible. At least now it tries to even out the win/loss so you don't miss out on too many rewards.

I'm not sure it tries to even it out so much as give you one freebie every so often.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • StarSon wrote: »

Idk. We had some great matchups in the prior version of MM. Not perfect but better.
  • StarSon
    7431 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »

Idk. We had some great matchups in the prior version of MM. Not perfect but better.

We very rarely had a fair matchup on paper in the old MM. In my experience, current MM actually gives fair matches on paper much more often than the old MM did.

Either way, especially with datacrons, TW is awful and takes way too much officer time to execute properly.
  • you just said the MM manipulates to hand out wins and losses in a certain ratio. That’s not parity.
  • StarSon
    7431 posts Member
    you just said the MM manipulates to hand out wins and losses in a certain ratio. That’s not parity.

I never claimed there was parity. What I said was:
    1. Current MM will hand out freebies after so many losses in a row
    2. In my experience the current MM gives fair matches on paper way more often than the old MM did
  • StarSon wrote: »
    you just said the MM manipulates to hand out wins and losses in a certain ratio. That’s not parity.

I never claimed there was parity. What I said was:
    1. Current MM will hand out freebies after so many losses in a row
    2. In my experience the current MM gives fair matches on paper way more often than the old MM did
    I think the corrective matchmaking is inconsistently applied, though, which doesn’t help.

We’ve won 7 in a row. Some of them have been ridiculously lopsided in our favour, some a bit closer but in all 7 of them we’ve been pretty clear favourites on paper. Some of our opponents were on a run of a couple of defeats - they definitely didn’t get a freebie.

I’ve not noticed any real difference between new and old matchmaking in terms of fairness - but I have noticed that the biggest determining factor in matchups these days is datacrons.

If Guild A has 1.5 x Guild B’s datacrons, particularly at level 9, there’s only one outcome.

And that’s the biggest complaint I have about the new TW matchmaking alongside the impact of datacrons. Most TWs I’ve been involved in have not been a war. They’ve been a foregone conclusion.