Character releases: Marquees vs Conquest; You're doing it backwards, CG!

The current system is to release the top tier, semi-exclusive characters via Conquest and other characters via marquee events. The consequences of this system are that Conquest is a chore with stupidly grindy feats, instead of the fun event it was when it was first introduced. And the developers are spending time creating special events for lesser characters.

Now imagine this: Conquest is how you release lesser characters, and special events are for top-tier characters. We would get a new character every Conquest, instead of every 3 Conquests, giving us a regular monthly release cadence for new units. And Conquest could be returned to the fun version it once was, because everyone would be expected to unlock the character every month, instead of it being semi-exclusive.The reward for hard mode could be that you get the character at 4 stars while easy gets it at 2 stars and medium gets it at 3 stars. And instead of spending their valuable time on marquee events for less important characters, the developers could spend their time on legendary style events for the more important and powerful characters who deserve it. Those events would have specific entry requirements and would only return every 3 to 4 months, like the legendaries of old, thus keeping those characters semi-exclusive.

Replies

• TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Nah
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • My points:

1. I actually really enjoy conquest. Ok, it was better when it was a bit less 'grindy', but I don't really find it a grind. I frigging hate Galatic Challenges though............Anyway, Conquest is by far my favourite PvE mode. So, I find it hard to relate to a lot of the complaints.

2. " Conquest is a chore with stupidly grindy feats, instead of the fun event it was when it was first introduced."

As I understood it, it wasn't because of the reward that it was made more grindy. It was because of the speed players were completing everything. CG want it to be a 2 week thing (chore for you). They don't want players being able to speed run through it. Rewards wouldn't change their thinking on this.

3. Now imagine this: Conquest is how you release lesser characters, and special events are for top-tier characters. We would get a new character every Conquest, instead of every 3 Conquests

What I think you're saying is that the release of new characters' cadence is slowed down by making marquee events? I don't think this is the case at all. I think releases are at the cadence they want, rather than hindered by the work needed.

In any case, my feeling is that it wouldn't speed things up much at all. It's like the 'Why are they working on new characters instead of fixing bugs argument.' Everybody, has a job. Employees are employed to do jobs so that all things progress together. You can't cut one job and expect all other jobs to speed up. As I understand it, it simply doesn't work like that.

4. And instead of spending their valuable time on marquee events for less important characters, the developers could spend their time on legendary style events for the more important and powerful characters who deserve it.

Hmmm yeah this just doesn't add up for me. So you take away 1 marquee event every 5/6 weeks (I guess at overall conquest turn around). Put those in conquest. Then remove the conquest character and make a legendary style event for them instead?

There's no way that would say time or work in my opinion. There's a lot more work in legendary events over marquee events. And our release of legendary and conquest characters is pretty quick right now.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Yah. Conquest is awful bc it adds roughly 638526 more hours of screentime
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    Yah. Conquest is awful bc it adds roughly 638526 more hours of screentime

That's cut in half with the loading screen freeze...