Do units have fractional speed?

See title. Assuming not, mirror matches with equivalent speed should split 50/50.

Currently sitting at the vaunted 03.125% chance for today of a 0-5 set of matchups between two Execs at 192 speed. The other ALWAYS goes first.

Replies

• fraction speeds, don't exist. In these cases it's a coin toss*. One coin toss* doesn't determine the whole battle. I.e. if there's another tie, it's a fresh coin toss*.

* Coin toss is metaphorical.
  • TVF
    36589 posts Member
    Janus wrote: »
    See title. Assuming not, mirror matches with equivalent speed should split 50/50.

With enough of a sample size. Five battles is not enough.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Janus wrote: »

Currently sitting at the vaunted 03.125% chance for today of a 0-5 set of matchups between two Execs at 192 speed. The other ALWAYS goes first.

I don't get where the "03.125%" comes from. Over 5 matches, you can only go first in 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, or 100% of the cases.

I don't get where the "03.125%" comes from. Over 5 matches, you can only go first in 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, or 100% of the cases.
    Binomial probability.

Losing 5 “coin tosses” in a row has a probability of 0.5^5 = 3.125%
  • Except it's a 50% chance now that there are 5 losses in a row since there have already been 4 losses
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    math is my strongest subject

i have a 100% win rate on all my battles i've won
  • haloimplant2
    37 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    3% sounds low but it means if you do this every day it will happen once a month

I calculated that I got 1-2% garbage luck on my datacrons in set 5. that's going to happen to about 1 person in every guild, every set. (which will cause the game to bleed players IMO)

Binomial probability.

Losing 5 “coin tosses” in a row has a probability of 0.5^5 = 3.125%

I see. Well if that's what the OP is talking about, they need to remember that the probability is literally for the entire sample space - all the same-speed Executor mirrors, not just the ones the OP was involved in. 3.125% is not as rare as it sounds like once you realize that.