New raid changes

Replies

• herd_nerfer
    1828 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    The game is getting older. I have played since shortly after launch. I came from playing Heros of Dragon Age (Another CG mobile game). The new raid changes are clearly designed to benefit a guild with active, daily players. The "requiring specfic debuffs, and tactics" bit is making me figure we will be needing new teams, which will take time and money to build and learn. No doubt an attempt to breathe life into the game. Ok fair enough. They need to do this. But, will these changes trigger whales to pave our way with their spending, and thereby grease the way for non whales to ride the wave? I doubt it. Following Google Plays list of top grossing shows a steady decline. Last time I checked SWGOH was at 58 and RSL was 20. SWGOH used to be around 14 or so. Most of the dedicated players with the best rosters are long gone.

The game will continue. They need a revenue stream to stay afloat while they work on whatever the new game is. The main thing I see as a result of the raid changes is, stream lining the template so they can bring out new raids in a cut and paste fashion, in a cookie cutter format. Team builds will vary based on the need for new characters coming out.

The number of active players will reduce. But changes usually thin the herd.

MTFBWY

If they were to update one or two factions with every new raid, they have a way to encourage spending on those factions and the new characters that go with them. Add datacrons (that the whales have proven they'll spend on) and kyros to that and I think they're probably doing OK for monetization.

When you say, "Most of the dedicated players with the best rosters are long gone" - I have to disagree. Some of the players that have left may have had exceptional rosters - but there are still many, many long time/veteran players that are still here - those are the dedicated ones.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • The game is getting older. I have played since shortly after launch. I came from playing Heros of Dragon Age (Another CG mobile game). The new raid changes are clearly designed to benefit a guild with active, daily players. The "requiring specfic debuffs, and tactics" bit is making me figure we will be needing new teams, which will take time and money to build and learn. No doubt an attempt to breathe life into the game. Ok fair enough. They need to do this. But, will these changes trigger whales to pave our way with their spending, and thereby grease the way for non whales to ride the wave? I doubt it. Following Google Plays list of top grossing shows a steady decline. Last time I checked SWGOH was at 58 and RSL was 20. SWGOH used to be around 14 or so. Most of the dedicated players with the best rosters are long gone.

The game will continue. They need a revenue stream to stay afloat while they work on whatever the new game is. The main thing I see as a result of the raid changes is, stream lining the template so they can bring out new raids in a cut and paste fashion, in a cookie cutter format. Team builds will vary based on the need for new characters coming out.

MTFBWY

I love the Dragon Age series on console (replaying DA:I right now!), and didn’t even know about Heroes of Dragon Age until I saw it was sunsetting. Sad times. Amazing that CG never did any cross-promotions between the two games.
  • TheDude420 wrote: »
    The game is getting older. I have played since shortly after launch. I came from playing Heros of Dragon Age (Another CG mobile game). The new raid changes are clearly designed to benefit a guild with active, daily players. The "requiring specfic debuffs, and tactics" bit is making me figure we will be needing new teams, which will take time and money to build and learn. No doubt an attempt to breathe life into the game. Ok fair enough. They need to do this. But, will these changes trigger whales to pave our way with their spending, and thereby grease the way for non whales to ride the wave? I doubt it. Following Google Plays list of top grossing shows a steady decline. Last time I checked SWGOH was at 58 and RSL was 20. SWGOH used to be around 14 or so. Most of the dedicated players with the best rosters are long gone.

MTFBWY

I love the Dragon Age series on console (replaying DA:I right now!), and didn’t even know about Heroes of Dragon Age until I saw it was sunsetting. Sad times. Amazing that CG never did any cross-promotions between the two games.

It was fun back in the day. Good times.
  • The game is getting older. I have played since shortly after launch. I came from playing Heros of Dragon Age (Another CG mobile game). The new raid changes are clearly designed to benefit a guild with active, daily players. The "requiring specfic debuffs, and tactics" bit is making me figure we will be needing new teams, which will take time and money to build and learn. No doubt an attempt to breathe life into the game. Ok fair enough. They need to do this. But, will these changes trigger whales to pave our way with their spending, and thereby grease the way for non whales to ride the wave? I doubt it. Following Google Plays list of top grossing shows a steady decline. Last time I checked SWGOH was at 58 and RSL was 20. SWGOH used to be around 14 or so. Most of the dedicated players with the best rosters are long gone.

MTFBWY

If they were to update one or two factions with every new raid, they have a way to encourage spending on those factions and the new characters that go with them. Add datacrons (that the whales have proven they'll spend on) and kyros to that and I think they're probably doing OK for monetization.

When you say, "Most of the dedicated players with the best rosters are long gone" - I have to disagree. Some of the players that have left may have had exceptional rosters - but there are still many, many long time/veteran players that are still here - those are the dedicated ones.

For the games sake I hope you are right. But the real big spenders are gone.
  • @Alex84To
    Being able to run only one raid will likely not going to generate even half as much as I'm currently getting.

They specifically say you won't lose income, and now you're saying that it's "likely" you'll lose half your income. These two statements are not compatible and only CG knows what they're talking about.

I understand being afraid that CG will mess it up and you won't get the income they say you will. Fear of change is normal. But this comment asserting that you're "likely" going to have your income cut asserts facts contrary to evidence. it's not helpful.

Talk about your fear, we'll support you. CG has made tons of mistakes and it's inevitable that they'll make more. But having their intentions here in the Road Ahead actually helps us later if they do mess up because we can then point back to this document and say, "What's happening in the game is contrary to what you've told us." Those arguments are always more likely to be effective than complaints that can't relate back to CG's own goals or statements. The RA is a good thing in that sense, even (or perhaps especially) for people who are feeling the fears that you are.

@Metroplex79
    Does the Krayt Raid also require a minimum Relic level or will it be back to 7* and the mentioned factions?

Thanks.

They don't mention one, but also it's pretty clear that there won't be one since they specifically said that the easiest tier of each new raid is going to be tuned for g10 toons. They can't tune it for g10 and then require r5.

Hope that helps!
  • Deathbringer59
    575 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    After being able to digest the RA more, I am more excited then before. I still have Lowish expectations but I'll rather go in that way and be pleasantly surprised when it's better rather then let down when I was hoping for more.

One thing we noticed was the sith raid startes at g10 for the lower tiers. Me and my guild leader was debating whether or not the Krayt Dragon was going to be relic gated on its first tier or not. I personally don't think so but they think Relic 5 will be the minimum to start the newest raid.

I'm a veteran player that's been playing since Dec 2016. Not a HUGE spender but ive dropped some here and there. We have alot of veteran players in the alliance as well and others who visit from other alliances to hang out. There's alot of them and even though some do quit/retire. Some do come back to the game picking up where they left off.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member

MTFBWY

You said in another thread recently that this game is in end of life maintenance mode, despite the addition of a new TB in December and a new raid coming (presumably) mid 2023, so...
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member

MTFBWY

Are they?
  • The game will continue.

Yes it will because the game itself doesnt give out metadata as good as swgoh.gg or hotutils etc. So it will outlive you,
  • Darthjobbie
    363 posts Member
    edited February 2023

nope.
  • TVF wrote: »

MTFBWY

Are they?

I wish those big spenders and peeps with exceptional rosters would leave my arena, so I could move up, but nope they are still there active as ever and dominating.
  • rickertron wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

MTFBWY

Are they?

I wish those big spenders and peeps with exceptional rosters would leave my arena, so I could move up, but nope they are still there active as ever and dominating.

They most likely are gone. No need to play their teams hold their position unattend. Lol.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    rickertron wrote: »

MTFBWY

Are they?

They most likely are gone. No need to play their teams hold their position unattend. Lol.

You don't know that at all, but ok.

MTFBWY

Are they?

LOL, So those unattended rosters can change their starting lineup fairly regularly?
    rickertron wrote: »

MTFBWY

Are they?

LOL, So those unattended rosters can change their starting lineup fairly regularly?

ChatGPT probably took over their account. That’s all part of Skynet’s plan.
  • Do the big spenders know something we don't? They left. Should we be leaving too?
  • I'm interested in the change, very curious how this'll look and work on a weekly basis.

I'm not sure if I missed this, the first 3 Raids, needed a minimum requirement of 7*, and the CPit requires Relic 5 to participate.

Does the Krayt Raid also require a minimum Relic level or will it be back to 7* and the mentioned factions?

Thanks.

From what I understand it’s g10 minimum requirement with 7* toons from specific factions.
    Could be wrong though, but that’s how I read it.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Screerider wrote: »
    Do the big spenders know something we don't? They left. Should we be leaving too?

Nah, we run the place now.
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    Raicall wrote: »
    But changed how lol. It didn't address it at all. Just by saying that "something" is going to be addressed is not a final answer.

From RA:
    We are removing any steps related to finishing specific legacy raids, as well as steps too closely tied to specific Territory Battles, from all Prestigious Quests.
    We are removing achievements related to completing the Challenge Rancor.
  • I really don’t understand the complaints about the limited factions.

Only ONE is relatively new (Hutt Cartel) and they’re mostly accelerated now, and one has a couple new characters (Tuskens). Overall, they’re factions that have been in the game for awhile, are relatively easily obtainable, and are needed for other legendary/GL type characters. Yeah, maybe everyone doesn’t have a full relic Tusken or Jawa squad, but Mandalorians and Old Republic? JKR has been ubiquitous in this game for years now.

I think that’s actually a very player-friendly move by CG and I applaud them for it.
  • Interesting rumor. Control of the game has passed to another studio. The raid changes, in part, are to aid in streamlining the addition of new content with minimal work. Thus allowing for less familiar hands to quickly update the game.

Dunno if true, but it seems possible?
  • StarSon
    7431 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    Interesting rumor. Control of the game has passed to another studio. The raid changes, in part, are to aid in streamlining the addition of new content with minimal work. Thus allowing for less familiar hands to quickly update the game.

"streamlining the addition of new content with minimal work" has been their goal for almost 4 years now. This started with the Unity upgrade in 2020 which ultimately only led to GC's.

Edit: And, if anything, I bet it's so they can pull some dev/designers from this to HoME, rather than the game is being moved to another studio.
  • Interesting rumor. Control of the game has passed to another studio. The raid changes, in part, are to aid in streamlining the addition of new content with minimal work. Thus allowing for less familiar hands to quickly update the game.

The whole streamlining started ages ago. CG had a post about doing under the hood upgrades slowing down new content for a bit a long time ago.
    It was the foundation for galactic challenges as well as conquest.
    Bringing the same approach to raids seems just continuing the path CG have been on for years at this point.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Interesting rumor. Control of the game has passed to another studio. The raid changes, in part, are to aid in streamlining the addition of new content with minimal work. Thus allowing for less familiar hands to quickly update the game.

Sounds like someone on discord / other medium came up with this speculation and now its being passed on as a rumor
  • I don’t see how a company trying to increase productivity is a sign of anything.
  • There’s a lot of twitchiness after Apex mobile was pulled & obviously some pragmatic decisions are being made after folding another studio - but it would seem to be unwise to elide any more from that other than EA is taking a hard look at its priorities. Personally the idea of switching SWGoH to another studio right now sounds unnecessarily risky - but yes, there’s interesting stuff to watch. EA are reportedly close to a half billion pound deal with the English Premier League, so they are clearly following through on their commitment to building the non mobile franchises (as set out here https://www.gamesindustry.biz/whats-going-on-with-ea-on-mobile-this-week-in-business)
  • The faction bit is the part the worries me. Seems like another way to say another aspect of the game that'll required the lastest released toons 7*'d and relic'd up to make it worth the effort. I hope i'm wrong, but i imagine factions like inquisitors, hutt cartel, etc will dominate the requirements.
  • It seems obvious to me that they’re going to screw us over in the new raid system. If the worry/complaint is that multiple raids running simultaneously is overwhelming why not give the ability to sim all current raids the guild is finishing? Why remove Cpit entirely? Why even worry about “fixing” something that is voluntary in the first place? Guilds and players can do whatever raid schedule works for them, there’s no game mechanic forcing it. The whole idea is ridiculous but no one is noticing because they’re announcing a highly anticipated hero’s journey and 2 entirely new characters unrelated to said journey at the same time to distract people. That’s what, a year’s worth of updates normally all at once? Pardon my skepticism but it seems a little suspicious to me.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    If they did the hero stuff to distract us why was that at the end of the post.
  • TVF wrote: »
    If they did the hero stuff to distract us why was that at the end of the post.

People tend to remember what they read last the most, it's the "closure". That's why you always should use your strongest arguments/points/message at the end of a letter/mail etc.
    We are all made of star-stuff