Purchasing Packs

I spend money on packs occasionally. I would spend more money on packs if there was not the chance factor in them. I don’t make a lot of money and this is my hobby. So if I am going to buy something I want to pay for the sure thing. Crystals for example set amount for a set price. Let’s take the Kyrotech comp and prods for example. EA has established that 50 is worth $5. That is for 25 prods and 25 comps. I will buy that because it is a sure thing. Then EA makes these packs of chance. Again with the Kyrotech. Where the chances are anything from 150-800. Where you are either getting a really good deal or get hosed. I won’t spend my money on a chance of spending $40 and only getting 150 which has been established as only being worth $15. My opinion is people would be more likely to spend their money on the sure thing. Also limiting purchases to 2 makes no sense. Why limit purchases at all? They don’t on crystals. If I decided I wanted to spend $200 on Kyrotech I couldn’t because they limited my ability to do so to $10. Guess what I am doing with that $190. I am going to go buy beer or something else not SWGOH related. What do you all think? Hopefully someone who makes decisions for EA reads this and gives some feedback as well.

Replies

• Beer>SWGoH
  • I agree completely.
  • I spend money on packs occasionally. I would spend more money on packs if there was not the chance factor in them. I don’t make a lot of money and this is my hobby. So if I am going to buy something I want to pay for the sure thing. Crystals for example set amount for a set price. Let’s take the Kyrotech comp and prods for example. EA has established that 50 is worth $5. That is for 25 prods and 25 comps. I will buy that because it is a sure thing. Then EA makes these packs of chance. Again with the Kyrotech. Where the chances are anything from 150-800. Where you are either getting a really good deal or get hosed. I won’t spend my money on a chance of spending $40 and only getting 150 which has been established as only being worth $15. My opinion is people would be more likely to spend their money on the sure thing. Also limiting purchases to 2 makes no sense. Why limit purchases at all? They don’t on crystals. If I decided I wanted to spend $200 on Kyrotech I couldn’t because they limited my ability to do so to $10. Guess what I am doing with that $190. I am going to go buy beer or something else not SWGOH related. What do you all think? Hopefully someone who makes decisions for EA reads this and gives some feedback as well.

I think a lot of people feel that way - I'm one of them, but these packs aren't aimed at us. These packs are aimed at people that have enough money to not care if they end up spending 3x the going rate. It's hard for most of us to imagine but there are people in the world for whom $40 means about as much as you or I buying a pack of gum at a gas station. Some of those people are gamers, and some of those gamers are Star Wars fans.

Rest assured, CG knows that only 1% or less of players will actually buy these packs - but 1% of 300k players is still 3000 players... x $40 = $120,000. On one pack. So I don't think they're going away.

I'm with you though - I do wish they would sell more things for a set price. I'd be more inclined to buy - as I do with the $5 kyro packs.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • I have to agree with the OP as well.
    If there would be more things worth buying, I would be buying more often.

How many times have I asked CG to let me buy the 50% off hyperdrive bundle a 2nd/3rd/4th time?
    Always no they have said.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    I haven't spent in a long long time on this game, I think since they changed the marquee packs from 9.99 to 19.99
    Agree though, wish the chance packs would just go away. Or have the chance packs set based on the lowest, most commonly acquired quantity as that is what the majority will end up getting with them.
  • GegeGerard24
    418 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    I agree 100%

TBH, i would buy some packs, if that was the case (sure pack, not chance pack).
    How many times have I asked CG to let me buy the 50% off hyperdrive bundle a 2nd/3rd/4th time?

I think it is permanently at 50% now.
    But i could be wrong.
    Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I agree 100%

But i could be wrong.

I thought you said you were f2p
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    I agree 100%

But i could be wrong.

Ahh well
  • Personally, I don't buy any kind of packs with a Gamble % because I don't like that ethnically and it reflects poorly on any moblie game company that insist on that kind of practice.

.Buyer beware and I am..

I have spent crystals in my early playing days because that was the only way I could get character shards before joining a guild. Never doing that again either.

It's funny how even my kids see through the practice and know not buy into any kind of gamble packs. The next generation of players are wise to these predatory (imo) practices..
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    SotaDraken wrote: »
    Personally, I don't buy any kind of packs with a Gamble % because I don't like that ethnically

I'm assuming this is a typo.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I bought every single new character pack up until they took the crystals out of them. Used to get 30 shards, gear and 1350 crystals. I have not bought one without the crystals as it is just not appealing to me anymore.
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    TVF wrote: »
    I agree 100%

But i could be wrong.

maybe he’s buying with youtube money

those purchases don’t count
  • Ultra wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    I agree 100%

But i could be wrong.

maybe he’s buying with youtube money

those purchases don’t count

Not sure if his Plants vs. Zombies videos are generating any cash.

I know because YouTube randomly killed my daily views from the thousands to double digits.
    Hello there.
  • Not sure if his Plants vs. Zombies videos are generating any cash.

Dang.
  • Dreadfist
    1 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    I sat down and calculated the average value of one of these packs based on the advertised probabilities. The result is 237.5 parts / $40. That ends up more expensive than 50 parts / $5 for the other packs.