GAC draw results unfair for lower GP

Prev13
Kaotiken
4 posts Member
edited March 2023
Defaulting the victory to the higher GP in the result of a draw is completely unfair.

If anything, the fact that the lower GP can achieve the same score with less potential resources shows that they should instead be rewarded the victory.

This has always bothered me but obviously it rarely actually happens. When it does though it just reeks of **** as I've only had 2 or 3 opponents since the squad arena/GAC change that have had lesser GP than me.

EDIT: or actually have a real draw where results are split which would make even more sense..

Replies

• Glad we’ve got another thread on this topic.

Squeaky Wheel
  • OP, this has been discussed many times before. I think the win going to the higher GP is generally considered to being a reward for a bigger roster. It may seem counterintuitive (as you feel you did better with less), but it is what it is.

I doubt it'll change. Certainly previous posts about the same thing haven't changed it.
  • Giving the win to the higher GP also prevents players from artificially keeping their GP low, which is counterproductive for other areas of the game (TW brackets and TB).
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Kaotiken wrote: »
    Glad we’ve got another thread on this topic.

Squeaky Wheel

That's not how it works here.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Giving the win to the higher GP also prevents players from artificially keeping their GP low, which is counterproductive for other areas of the game (TW brackets and TB).

Only direct neutral solution would be to make it random. But imagine how much more grief and conspiracy theories that would cause. Or they can work on this a bit and introduce some tie-breaker element like least amount of tries etc. But I doubt even something like that will stop people thinking whatever the situation is unfair (when it happens to them on the losing end ofc xD).
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    GP doesn’t matter since you are paired with similar skill rating
  • PeachyPeachSWGOH
    792 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    What I think the tiebreaker should be - sort the rosters by gp, then put the two lowest toons in a 1 on 1.
  • Ultra wrote: »

Surely it matters during a tie as that's where the win is awarded?
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    What I think the tiebreaker should be - sort the rosters by gp, then put the two lowest toons in a 1 on 1.

That would be great. Those who care so much about this can keep a gl on only unlock condition and make everyone else higher gp and rest of us would live in peace.
  • LynxVJ
    138 posts Member
    The fairest solution is to give the win to the person who has spent more money in the game.
    After all, a business need to give better services to its better customers, right? 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Kaotiken wrote: »

Squeaky Wheel
    We need an arbitrary method of settling ties and we've got one. What little time the devs have on improving the game should not be spent on this.
  • Kaotiken wrote: »

Squeaky Wheel
    We need an arbitrary method of settling ties and we've got one. What little time the devs have on improving the game should not be spent on this.

Agreed.

Or there would just be another arbitrary solution that some people would still feel aggrieved about if / when on the 'wrong' side of it.
  • I’m not sure how often this happens to people, usually I don’t see a tie since the player attacking last can always play the result and they either win by some points or chokes miserably when trying to underdog some attack. Can’t remember the last time I had a tie.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    AlexanderG wrote: »
    Kaotiken wrote: »

Squeaky Wheel

Agreed.

Or there would just be another arbitrary solution that some people would still feel aggrieved about if / when on the 'wrong' side of it.

Both should lose!
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    I’m not sure how often this happens to people, usually I don’t see a tie since the player attacking last can always play the result and they either win by some points or chokes miserably when trying to underdog some attack. Can’t remember the last time I had a tie.

I've never had one.

The more topics show how often it’s actually happening I guess.
    Ultra wrote: »

Slippery slope
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Or how many forumers make new threads unnecessarily to complain about the same things over and over again.

The people complaining about it think it’s something “wrong” that the devs need to “fix”. But this is subjective, and as the devs obviously don’t agree, it is not important how often it happens.
    Or how many forumers make new threads unnecessarily to complain about the same things over and over again.

The people complaining about it think it’s something “wrong” that the devs need to “fix”. But this is subjective, and as the devs obviously don’t agree, it is not important how often it happens.

Well one of the counter arguments against a change was that it’s too rare to be considered a problem. More and more threads popping up may just me showing that to be untrue.

However I do agree that since it’s not losing them money or benefiting the players in any way, it won’t get attention at all.
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

Well one of the counter arguments against a change was that it’s too rare to be considered a problem. More and more threads popping up may just me showing that to be untrue.

However I do agree that since it’s not losing them money or benefiting the players in any way, it won’t get attention at all.
    I’ve never seen that counter argument, but I don’t pay too much attention to these threads anymore because, like the devs, I don’t think it’s a problem.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited March 2023

I’ll launch my ‘let’s not get carried away’ special move.

Considering the number of gac rounds played in total across all divisions and the numbers of thread, it’s probably not that often. True, not everyone bothered to post. But still, that’s a lot of rounds for very few threads.
    Post edited by Starslayer on
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Petition to change scoring to make ties more frequent.
  • DMG_SW
    215 posts Member
    Make it so the battles don't actually matter. Just award the win to whoever has the higher GP. This will cause the accounts slumming it below their level to rise, and then no more complaints about mismatches! The krakens at the top will go crazy trying to win, good for CG. Win rate for most will settle at 50%, as intended. Seems like the perfect solution.
  • Reading this thread is like watching a group of kids argue about which color is best. At least it’s entertaining.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • GegeGerard24
    423 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Ultra wrote: »

What is skill rating?

One can manipulate skill rating by going up and down the GAC rank (I am talking about Carbonite, Aurodium, Kyber etc) as he pleases (along with his montrous GP) and then he faces an opponent with the same skill rating but with 1/3 of his GP.

I had that last GAC, 1.8M VS ~6M. Of course I lost, how could I defeat some squads with full relics and zetas. So how did the skill rating make sense in this battle?

One that still brings up skill rating in GAC talks is illusioned.

BTW, i agree with OP.
    It is unfair, my 3rd round in the last GAC was tie too, against much higher GP.
    I had to take some more risks by havung left some slot empty to harvest more points and my opponent just blindly poured all of his roster on me without tactic.

They say "high risk, high return"...not on GAC.
    You have more GP, just go down the GAC rank and bully the lower GP with all you have got.

Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • One that still brings up skill rating in GAC talks is illusioned.

Maybe play more than a couple months before coming to that conclusion
  • Maybe play more than a couple months before coming to that conclusion

And how does someone's spent time in game make sense?

Skill rating still confounds many, it makes peoples think that GP has nothing to do with GAC match making.
    And the skill rating it self can be manipulated by the player who owns it.

Tell me, explaine me, how did skill rating work in these battle?

w2v83vct33d0.jpg

He had ~6M GP, all his squads were zeta-ed and relic-ed.
    I managed to kill only 1 squad, because i only had 1 squad with some relic-ed character.

He had the same skill rating as me, that was why he was paired with me.
    But how did that make sense?

Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • Ultra wrote: »

I had that last GAC, 1.8M VS ~6M. Of course I lost, how could I defeat some squads with full relics and zetas. So how did the skill rating make sense in this battle?

Because as you said, sometimes this opponent goes down the ladder. So they lose sometimes (about half the time) against rosters like yours. Sure, you had no say in this match; but you still had around 50% chance of winning against this 6m account.

If you search for "gac matchmaking" or "skill rating", you'll find lots of threads about it to discuss it further. You'll find for instance that by dropping on purpose to face much weaker rosters, you'll receive less rewards overall. So it's not really "manipulating" the system as you don't benefit from it.
  • GegeGerard24
    423 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Sure, you had no say in this match; but you still had around 50% chance of winning against this 6m account.

Up until now, i had like only once, an opponent with higher GP than me who forfeited (didn't attack) the battle against me.

So, the rest of the times...i have been unfairly matched against the higher GP (stop talking about skill rating!). Speaking about the odds of you meet an higher GP who doesn't attack you.

If he loses so many rewards by going down the GAC rank, it IS HIS CHOICE!

If i (and many who experience the same) lose so many rewards because i have been matched with higher GP, I HAVE NO CONTROL about it!
  • TVF wrote: »
    Petition to change scoring to make double losses more frequent.

FTFY