GAC draw results unfair for lower GP

Replies

• Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Skill rating still confounds many, it makes peoples think that GP has nothing to do with GAC match making.
    And the skill rating it self can be manipulated by the player who owns it.

He had the same skill rating as me, that was why he was paired with me.
    But how did that make sense?

He had higher resource investment but he's just as bad or just as good as you are

its that simple

Manipulating Skill Rating isn't really manipulating imo

You are implying one can tank SR for an easier win,

that's true but to tank SR so much that you get an easier wins is akin to purposely losing 3 matches in a row just to win the next match or 2 (cant win too many or else you are too high) isn't really "manipulation"

You win too much and its time to tank again, so it just evens out to nothing
  • Maybe play more than a couple months before coming to that conclusion

And how does someone's spent time in game make sense?

You “might” understand it better……might
  • GegeGerard24
    423 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Ultra wrote: »
    He had higher resource investment but he's just as bad or just as good as you are

its that simple

Manipulating Skill Rating isn't really manipulating imo

You are implying one can tank SR for an easier win,

that's true but to tank SR so much that you get an easier wins is akin to purposely losing 3 matches in a row just to win the next match or 2 (cant win too many or else you are too high) isn't really "manipulation"

You win too much and its time to tank again, so it just evens out to nothing

~6M GP were not "as bad or as good as me". He was much better than me!
    He chose to be like it by having had gone down the GAC rank.

To manipulate = control or influence (a person or situation) cleverly, unfairly, or unscrupulously. (According to google).

He has control over his up and down the GAC rank to gain advantage over the lower GP ...that is enough to be considered as manipulation.

And still...it is his choice to lose those battles (thus the rewards too).
    I and many who lose to such such player (thus our rewards too) have no control about it.

If the "6M GP" had wanted, he could have lost in his own proper rank (might have been Aurodium, idk) and would have still received the rewards from there!
    I imagine, he would not have gone down far enough as Carbonite III, had he fought properly at every GAC that he signed up. He ended up in Carbonite III was the result of a clear manipulation from his part.

Why did he have to ruin other's rewards by having had gone down the GAC rank?

What does the TOS say "gain unfair advantage over other player" is bannable?
    Post edited by GegeGerard24 on
    Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • GegeGerard24
    423 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    You “might” understand it better……might

And you "might" be able to understand "skill rating" and explain it to other one day instead of hiding behind mockery to disguise your own incomprehension...just might...

That is, if there is something to understand, if it is not just an illusion, designed to idk-what.

Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • But they aren’t gaining an unfair advantage. Arguably they are entitled to have a 4m GP buffer over you by virtue of their investment in the game (be it time or money) comparative to yours. The fact that they have lost out on resources by not playing GAC to the potential of their roster is a choice they are choosing to make.

Also, he’s not necessarily ruining your rewards. How do you know you would have beaten another player with, say 1.5m GP with the same skill rating that could have been in their place?
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    But they aren’t gaining an unfair advantage. Arguably they are entitled to have a 4m GP buffer over you by virtue of their investment in the game (be it time or money) comparative to yours. The fact that they have lost out on resources by not playing GAC to the potential of their roster is a choice they are choosing to make.

Also, he’s not necessarily ruining your rewards. How do you know you would have beaten another player with, say 1.5m GP with the same skill rating that could have been in their place?

Yea, the last sentence is the crust of the issue. Regardless of meeting unbeatable rosters (if they play), you will end up where win/loss is around %50 for you. I understand that having such matches can be argued as bad on fun level...since it's null play whether the other side plays or just throws the towel. A match you will certainly lose if the other side played is not a rewards impact, because things doesn't end in a single match.
  • GegeGerard24
    423 posts Member
    edited March 2023

At least i don't feel cheated as in i have a chance compared to being at the mercy of the attacker.
    Further more, see my cmt below.
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    Yea, the last sentence is the crust of the issue. Regardless of meeting unbeatable rosters (if they play), you will end up where win/loss is around %50 for you.

I am not a mathematician, but i think others who are can support me.
    But firstly, i am sorry if i am wrong in this.

=====

No, when i meet an attacker with much higher GP who put me on his mercy as in I can only win if he doesn't att me, my chance of winning is not 50%. It is only 25%!

wfy69anem51v.jpg

(A)
    When i click the button "view current round", i will be greeted with...
    First possibility = an opponent with the same or lower GP (odd = 50%)
    Second possibility = an opponent with higher gp (odd = 50%)

(B)
    When I meet the second option above, i will be greeted with another 2 possibilities as follows...
    First possibilities = he will att me (odd = 50%)
    Second possibilities = he won't att me (odd = 50%)

So the odd of meeting an opponent with higher GP AND who will not att me = 50% x 50% = 25%!

So, that is 75% i will lose the game when i meet an opponent with higher GP.

Shocked?

That explains my precious cmt on how rarely i have met opponents with higher GP who didn't att me.

=====

While, when the game always pairs me with the opponents of (more or less) same GP, it is true that the win/lose chance is 50%.

Because I don't have to deal with point (A) above, there is no probability of meeting same-lower/higher GP, because we are of the same GP.

We only deal with win/lose probability which is, as you have said, 50%.

=====

So, it is indeed "robbing the rewards of the lower GPs."
    Because our chance is lower than 50% which means that we don't have THE FAIR CHANCE.

There is a saying about this..."like robbing a baby"?

I rest my case.
  • I must add...

If we don't have the FAIR CHANCE, it means the attackers have put them self in an unfair advantage against us, the lower GPs.

By unfair advantage, i am talking about their manipulation of skill rating. They intentionally lower their skill rating so that they can achieve whatever goal they have.

And what does the game's TOS says about gaining an unfair advantage over other players? Bannable?
  • I must add...

If we don't have the FAIR CHANCE, it means the attackers have put them self in an unfair advantage against us, the lower GPs.

By unfair advantage, i am talking about their manipulation of skill rating. They intentionally lower their skill rating so that they can achieve whatever goal they have.

And what does the game's TOS says about gaining an unfair advantage over other players? Bannable?
    So you're suggesting that people who don't engage with GAC for a while, or just plain suck at it should be banned?

Now I've heard everything.
  • And what does the game's TOS says about gaining an unfair advantage over other players? Bannable?

Just when I thought this thread couldnt get more laughable
  • Just when I thought this thread couldnt get more laughable

Just when i thought you could understand the logic...lol.

There is absolutely no logic in suggesting that people who drop in GAC should be banned. None at all.

There is less logic in that suggestion than there is in a Hyperdrive Bundle purchaser claiming they are F2P, and that is saying something.
  • I must add...

I highly doubt that people are intentionally tanking their scores to gain an advantage. Maybe some are, but most people that sink to lower brackets than their rosters are capable of sustaining just have periods of not caring about GAC or not fully engaging because they don't have time (me) or just don't like 3v3 (also me).

The only way this would be 'unfair' is if only some players had the ability to tank their skill rating - intentionally or through just plain apathy. YOU have the same ability to tank your own skill rating and get easier matches on the occasions that you actually play. The idea that this gives people an unfair advantage is erroneous at best and disingenuous at worst. Those people get fewer crystals than they would if they were trying 100% of the time - so they are penalized for doing this.

For some of us that's a fair trade. I don't like PVP in general but I dislike 3v3 even more. When 3v3 season hits, I take a break from GAC and while my crystal income suffers, to me it's a fair tradeoff for not having to engage in a game mode that I don't enjoy.

Fairness doesn't enter in to the equation. I have a bigger roster than you because I've spent more time (and money) playing than you. Placement in the GAC ranks is based on skill rating that is derived from wins vs losses. But we all have access to the same resources in the game and we all have the potential to grow a big roster given enough time and/or money. That's the way the game works. That's the way the game has always worked.

As an aside - we've wandered pretty far away from the original topic which was a repeat of the same topic that gets brought up when someone loses a draw to someone with higher GP - to which, I'll reiterate my previous sentiment that that's exactly how it should be. Lose more matches and you'll be matched against lower GP players and you'll win every draw. Anyone can do this unless you happen to be dead last on the GAC ladder.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.

I have yet to find anything logical with any of your posts since you've joined the forum, but I will continue to hold out hope
  • GegeGerard24
    423 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    So you're suggesting that people who don't engage with GAC for a while, or just plain suck at it should be banned?

I thought you could read...
    I had clearly said this and you quoted it.

Then ofcourse, a player who has taken an hiatus from GAC has to be identified in ban investigation.
    They have the datas whether a player intentionally lower their skill rating or not.

Tha fact is, by doing that, they put other in disadvantage (75% losing probability)
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1068 posts Member
    edited March 2023

I am not a mathematician, but i think others who are can support me.
    But firstly, i am sorry if i am wrong in this.

I’m not a mathematician, but I am a PhD in astrophysics who works with Bayesian statistics. Sooo….

You are wrong in this mathematically. You are assuming that because there are two outcomes both are equally likely. This is logically careless and ignores the underlying assumptions about how likely the options are given that the player has dropped that low (and that’s an important factor for the prior).

I would actually estimate that a thorough probabilistic analysis would show that the chance of you winning in such a scenario is above 50% if you were to appropriately determine the factors leading to a 6m GP player dropping to that level.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • GegeGerard24
    423 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    .... or just plain suck at it should be banned?
    I highly doubt that people are intentionally tanking their scores to gain an advantage. .

Now we are argueing about intention...has he or has he not (he is just suck at GAC).

In my own opinion...an 6M GP could not have been that suck, at the point that he found him self at Carb III.

As a control...i refer to my own experience.

I always have played properly all my GAC and I have never found my self at 2 division lower than i should have, let alone many divisions below.

For example...i am at Carb III. At my most unlucky day, i found my self at Carb IV and then i could climb to Carb III again. The graph is there on my GG, link's below on my signature.

I have never found my self at Carb V, when I am now at Carb III.

I imagine the same...
    6M is where?, Aurodium what? III?

He ended up in Carb III. If Aurodium III is a good guess, that is 10 div lower than he should have.

How?

You and I can't answer that, because we don't have the datas.

But if he intentionally manipulated his skill rating, the datas is there too with CG.

And the player who intentinally does so, must be investigated!
    Because he put other in disadvantage.
  • Obi_six_Kenobi
    370 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    It looks like ultra removed my post because they didn’t agree with me

Did you edit your post?

I don’t think so, I stated that I disagreed with ultras post then put what I thought was a well thought out argument about how skill rating doesn’t take into account semi-active players and that this results in some matchups (in the lower brackets) that aren’t fun because they take one of the players out of the loop. It still results in 50% win rate but not fun matchups. The post was up for about an hour and then it disappeared. I assume it was because ultra removed it. But that is an assumption that I don’t know is true so perhaps I shouldn’t make it. I don’t know what happened to my post though.
  • I would actually estimate that a thorough probabilistic analysis would show that the chance of you winning in such a scenario is above 50% if you were to appropriately determine the factors leading to a 6m GP player dropping to that level.

I win = i met an opponent with higher GP AND he doesn't attack me.

How do you count that probability?
  • So you're suggesting that people who don't engage with GAC for a while, or just plain suck at it should be banned?

I thought you could read...
    I had clearly said this and you quoted it.

Than ofcourse, an player who has taken an hiatus from GAC has to be identified in ban investigation.
    They have the datas whether a player intentionally lower their skill rating or not.

Tha fact is, by doing that, they put other in disadvantage (75% losing probability)

How do you prove someone intentionally lowered their skill rating? I mean, it's easy to say "... has to be identified in ban investigation", but what do you think CG should/can/will do when somebody says "well my brother borrowed my phone so I couldn't play last GAC", ask them to send a picture of their brother holding up today's paper and their phone?
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1068 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    I would actually estimate that a thorough probabilistic analysis would show that the chance of you winning in such a scenario is above 50% if you were to appropriately determine the factors leading to a 6m GP player dropping to that level.

I win = i met an opponent with higher GP AND he doesn't attack me.

How do you count that probability?

By looking at their GAC history over the period of time from the implementation of the new GAC system to now, and appropriately accounting for their activity if they join a GAC bracket, their activity relative to opponent GP and roster, and possibly depending on seasonal trends as well. Of course this would need to be marginalised over probabilities for GP brackets in GAC divisions, but basically there's more factors at play than just raw GP.

Simply saying there's two outcomes and so both are equally likely at 50% is just mathematically lazy.
  • How do you prove someone intentionally lowered their skill rating?

I said...
    You and I can't answer that, because we don't have the datas.

To prove that some1 intentionally lowered his skill rating is another matter.
    The point of my posts is to bring up that it is indeed unfair to do so to other player, according to my amateur mathematic.

But the astrophysicist has said that lower GP had above 50% chance of defeating higher GP.
    So, i could be wrong and I already said I am sorry.
  • Has anyone looked at the long-term crystal income for someone who doesn't join GAC versus joining but not doing any matches apart from the 10 point first attack?

I know the original intention was that by not joining players would have their skill rating drop as though they took part and had a 1-2 record, and so they would drop through the divisions slower than someone who lost every match. Would that be mitigated by the rewards for losing matches, placing 8th in brackets, and the end of season rewards?
  • Simply saying there's two outcomes and so both are equally likely at 50% is just mathematically lazy.

But it does...

When i click that button...i will be met with either a higher GP or same/lower GP.
    There is nothing else.

When i am met with higher GP, he will either att me or he doesn't.
    There is nothing else.

The example is my last GAC...me 1.8GP VS 6M GP and he attacked me and i was lost (obviously).

I didn't feel that i had above 50% chance that i would win against him upon seeing his roster.

• Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator

Did you edit your post?

I don’t think so, I stated that I disagreed with ultras post then put what I thought was a well thought out argument about how skill rating doesn’t take into account semi-active players and that this results in some matchups (in the lower brackets) that aren’t fun because they take one of the players out of the loop. It still results in 50% win rate but not fun matchups. The post was up for about an hour and then it disappeared. I assume it was because ultra removed it. But that is an assumption that I don’t know is true so perhaps I shouldn’t make it. I don’t know what happened to my post though.

if you really don't know what happen maybe don't bad mouth me?

stop making assumptions

the spam filter ate up your post because you tried to edit it

i'm the least qualified person to speak on this topic (since i quit playing the game before the shift to Skill Rating matchmaking) so i'm sure many are going to disagree with me, as they should

but i would think that my retired opinions now have more weight than someone quick to making conspiracies on whatever happened to their posts
  • I find your lack of this meme across two pages of posts disturbing...

f227c30e-31dd-4882-a2c6-3a82175cc42f_text.gif
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1068 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Simply saying there's two outcomes and so both are equally likely at 50% is just mathematically lazy.

But it does...

When i click that button...i will be met with either a higher GP or same/lower GP.
    There is nothing else.

When i am met with higher GP, he will either att me or he doesn't.
    There is nothing else.

Except that there isn't necessarily a 50% chance of either happening.

Example: I roll a die and there are two outcomes. Either it lands on six or it doesn't land on six , but as you can appreciate the chance of it landing on a 6 is not 50%. Even more extreme, I buy a lottery ticket and either win or don't. The chance of me winning is not 50% (I wish!!!) even though there are only two outcomes.
  • Ultra wrote: »

Did you edit your post?

if you really don't know what happen maybe don't bad mouth me?

stop making assumptions

the spam filter ate up your post because you tried to edit it

i'm the least qualified person to speak on this topic (since i quit playing the game before the shift to Skill Rating matchmaking) so i'm sure many are going to disagree with me, as they should

but i would think that my retired opinions now have more weight than someone quick to making conspiracies on whatever happened to their posts

I apologize

• (A)
    When i click the button "view current round", i will be greeted with...
    First possibility = an opponent with the same or lower GP (odd = 50%)
    Second possibility = an opponent with higher gp (odd = 50%)

(B)
    When I meet the second option above, i will be greeted with another 2 possibilities as follows...
    First possibilities = he will att me (odd = 50%)
    Second possibilities = he won't att me (odd = 50%)

So the odd of meeting an opponent with higher GP AND who will not att me = 50% x 50% = 25%!

So, that is 75% i will lose the game when i meet an opponent with higher GP.

Shocked?

Yes, because in your scenarion you gave yourself 100% chances of winning against someone with the same or lower GP.
    A= someone with same GP
    B= someone with much higher GP

A= you can play and win or play and lose. 50/50
    B= they can show up and you lose or not show up and you win. 50/50

So you have:
    25% chances of facing A and winning because you played better
    25% chances of facing A and losing because they played better
    25% chances of facing B and winning because they didn't play
    25% chances of facing B and losing because they played

So it's not a balance issue nor a reward issue, but only a "fun" issue, because playing is more fun than hoping.
  • Except that there isn't necessarily a 50% chance of either happening.

Example: I roll a die and there are two outcomes. Either it lands on six or it doesn't land on six , but as you can appreciate the chance of it landing on a 6 is not 50%.

So, when i roll a die, it will either land on six or it wont and i agree, the chance of landing on 6 is not 50%.
    Because there are other possibilities, they are 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

So, the chance of landing on six = 1/6
    And the chance of not landing on six = 5/6

And the chance of winning the lottery is 1/(how many lotteries have been sold) (i guess).
    It is not 50% (either i win or not) because there are other possibilities, they are lottery No 000,000,000,001 until idk, lottery number 100.000.000.000. Between these numbers, some 99,888,777,666 lottery are sold...so the chance of winning my 1 lottery is 1/99,888,777,666.

So, what are other possibilities that would be presented when i click that button other than "higher GP" and "same/lower GP"?

And what other possibilities would be presented other than "the higher GP attacks" and "he doesn't"?

Either way...the chance of lower GP will win against higher GP is above 50% is just counter logic.