New Movie (Possible Spoilers)

Prev1
Anyone that has seen the movie post what you liked or what you didn't like about it. I personally love the new movie.

Replies

• I'm a huge Star Wars fan...that being said there was nothing in the movie that made me want to see it again in the theaters. I will see it again but it lacks something.
  • moddom
    238 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Bleach wrote: »
    I'm a huge Star Wars fan...that being said there was nothing in the movie that made me want to see it again in the theaters. I will see it again but it lacks something.

Hmm interesting, I myself have seen all of the movies growing up. I've already seen this movie twice and it honestly takes the spot as my favorite star wars film. I absolutely love the new characters that they introduce into this universe and there is a lot of interesting directions that the new trilogy can go in. Rey by far my favorite character in the film. The only thing I feel they did wrong was miscast the actor for Kylo Ren. I like the character of Kylo but I don't like the look or feel of the actor they used to play his part.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    It's a great action flick and if it were standalone I would have loved it.
    But it wasn't standalone, it was Episode 7. And I found it disappointing in a number of ways. I hated what they did with the old characters, pretty much all of them except for Chewie. (Luke, last remaining Jedi, suffers a setback and goes and hides for years and lets the galaxy fall apart?). Leia and Han together was painful to watch. The new heroes are cool except for the one who read "Jedi Mastery for Dummies" apparently during a set break.
    Oh, and almost every element of the plot was recycled. I mean everything! Enemies, death star, X-wing fighters (even flying in a trench!), fatal flaw in the death star, father-son confrontation, Vader clone, etc, etc. Serious rehash. It was so bad they even lampshaded the destruction of the new death star.
    Fun to watch. Terrible plot.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • moddom
    238 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Qeltar wrote: »
    It's a great action flick and if it were standalone I would have loved it.
    But it wasn't standalone, it was Episode 7. And I found it disappointing in a number of ways. I hated what they did with the old characters, pretty much all of them except for Chewie. (Luke, last remaining Jedi, suffers a setback and goes and hides for years and lets the galaxy fall apart?). Leia and Han together was painful to watch. The new heroes are cool except for the one who read "Jedi Mastery for Dummies" apparently during a set break.
    Oh, and almost every element of the plot was recycled. I mean everything! Enemies, death star, X-wing fighters (even flying in a trench!), fatal flaw in the death star, father-son confrontation, Vader clone, etc, etc. Serious rehash. It was so bad they even lampshaded the destruction of the new death star.
    Fun to watch. Terrible plot.

I agree it basically was Episode 4 again with different characters. I really think JJ Abrams was doing what needed to be done for this film, and that was to not mess it up and please the majority of people with a simple plot that has been done many times.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I left off the dumbest part of the whole movie: there's a new Republic, but also a First Order, which somehow seems about as powerful as the old Empire with the same recycled stuff, and a "resistance". The Republic is the legitimate government, but they do nothing all movie but sit around and wait to get destroyed, because apparently they have no military or any way of noticing when a bunch of guys decide to make a weapon the size of a planet. The "resistance" is resisting, whom, the First Order? But they're part of the Republic. Or at least, should be. Since the First Order rose up against the Republic, they should have been called the "resistance".
    Jumbled, embarrassing mess.
  • Loved the new fiery lightsabre and the graphic of stopping a blaster beam was cool as! Didn't think much of the story myself - nice mix of nostalgia while introductin the new leads (most of which I think will be around for the triliogy) but too many plot holes.... 3*, if it was a low budged indie movie ud get away with it but after so much time I did expect a real epic start to this batch.
  • Like, everything. Didn't like, it ending and now have to wait 500+ days for VIII.
    Who are Rey's parents?
    How/who recovered the Skywalker saber at Cloud City?
    Why the heck is 3PO's arm red?
    Few other questions but those are the big ones for me.
    Yes, the plot was familiar; but I think it was on purpose and enjoyed the nostalgia and return to original trilogy feel.
    Loved how they brought in elements of the EU/Legend, which I think will continue when we learn Jaina's, I mean Rey's story...lol We had father/son, sibling rivalry seems more compelling than cousins and plenty of subtle clues to suggest Han and Leia's daughter. Ren's internal conflict and gradual darkening is intriguing, a different take than Vader being evil straight out the gate like IV.
    I understand if some fans disliked it. Disney and Abrams played safe and didn't want to screw it up, but in the process created my favorite Star Wars movie. 2017 won't get here fast enough. Wish I could go into carbon freeze to manage the wait...lol
    "That is why you fail."
  • Tryban wrote: »
    Like, everything. Didn't like, it ending and now have to wait 500+ days for VIII.
    Who are Rey's parents?
    How/who recovered the Skywalker saber at Cloud City?
    Why the heck is 3PO's arm red?
    Few other questions but those are the big ones for me.
    Yes, the plot was familiar; but I think it was on purpose and enjoyed the nostalgia and return to original trilogy feel.
    Loved how they brought in elements of the EU/Legend, which I think will continue when we learn Jaina's, I mean Rey's story...lol We had father/son, sibling rivalry seems more compelling than cousins and plenty of subtle clues to suggest Han and Leia's daughter. Ren's internal conflict and gradual darkening is intriguing, a different take than Vader being evil straight out the gate like IV.
    I understand if some fans disliked it. Disney and Abrams played safe and didn't want to screw it up, but in the process created my favorite Star Wars movie. 2017 won't get here fast enough. Wish I could go into carbon freeze to manage the wait...lol

I absolutely love Rey as a character, and there are so many hints to her being luke's daughter, which is what I believe to be true.
  • I think the Luke clues are a red herring and quite frankly would be a little disappointing if she's Luke's daughter. People will point to the saber as prime evidence, but I think the clues are a little more subtle, like the clues to Vader and Luke's relation.
    The Falcon just happens to be in a junkyard in running condition.
    The comfortable interactions between Rey and Han.
    Hints from Ren and also Rey's vision.
    Rey being on hand to witness Han's death.
    And lastly, the curious way Leia looks at her. I was honestly on the fence until the hug at the end.
    I wouldn't be upset if she ends up Luke's daughter, but I like where a sibling conflict could lead vs. cousins. I wouldn't put it past the script to start out as Luke's daughter or in his care, but then the truth reveals at the end that she is in fact Ren's sister, Han and Leia's daughter.
    And now, just have to wait an eternity to see what happens...lol
    "That is why you fail."
  • I believe she is Luke's as well. If she ended up being han and leia daughter then they kind messed that believable part out when han and Leia were talking in private as it was all about thier son, unless they forgot they had a daughter.

One thing is for sure. They know who Rey is. Han being a ****, chewy being chewy, but as soon as she told han her name, he softened up. Then offered her a job and said chewy liked her. Since when did chewy trust anyone he just meet. Leia for no reason at all let her in the command center, when they came back Leia immediately hugged Rey.

The end. The look Rey got. Was it because of what she had in her hand, or because of who she is.

Trying not to really spoil anything here.
  • Breetai wrote: »
    I believe she is Luke's as well. If she ended up being han and leia daughter then they kind messed that believable part out when han and Leia were talking in private as it was all about thier son, unless they forgot they had a daughter.

One thing is for sure. They know who Rey is. Han being a ****, chewy being chewy, but as soon as she told han her name, he softened up. Then offered her a job and said chewy liked her. Since when did chewy trust anyone he just meet. Leia for no reason at all let her in the command center, when they came back Leia immediately hugged Rey.

The end. The look Rey got. Was it because of what she had in her hand, or because of who she is.

Trying not to really spoil anything here.

Well the title has "possible spoilers" in it to warn people :)
    Another piece of evidence is that Leia didn't send a whole squadron of people to go after Luke like they were originally planning to do. She sent Rey.
  • HavokTrigger
    897 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    It's possible that Rey is Lukes daughter but I think she was actually one of his students, maybe a new arrival. When the Knights of Ren killed the others, I think Luke escaped with her and maybe others in their FO dropship (the one in the flashback). He then pulled a Yoda and split the survivors up so Kylo and Snoke wouldn't be able to find them/her.

She was a young child so she repressed those memories. This could be why she so easily mind tricked the trooper and was able to beat a wounded Kylo in combat. She already had a working knowledge from her training with Luke.

R2-D2 activates when Rey is in proximity for the first time. This suggests that R2 knows she's safe and a subroutine activates telling him it's okay to contact Luke.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Please let her not be Luke's daughter. The lack of originality was bad enough without retreading that as well.
    (In the middle I turned to a friend and said "let me guess, she's Obiwan's granddaughter or something"?)
    Do something different and interesting for a change with 8. Please.
  • To paraphrase Obi-Wan, Luke knew as I did, that if Kylo were to have any siblings, they'd be a threat to him. Luke foresaw that Kylo would hunt Luke expecting "the girl" to be with him. That is why, Rey was hidden on a remote planet and Luke hid on the other side of the galaxy.
    This will be debated for a long time...lol
    Forget light and dark, Team Luke or Team Leia...lol
    "That is why you fail."
  • If they bring in Mara jade as reys mom and luke love interest that he left because of what happened I'm all for it, as long as Mara jade is in the movie and not dead. I just want Mara jade to become canon.
  • My guess is that Mara won't be in the movies/canon, not by that name anyway.
    Jacen and Jaina are already Ben and Rey...lol
    Honestly, I don't see a love interest being brought into the movies for Luke. I could definitely be wrong, always in motion the future is.
    "That is why you fail."
  • I recond she is Kylos sister....
  • Just to mention that Disney Infinity accidently released a major spoiler about Reys Parentage, Google it at your own risk lol.
  • imarobbiepie
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Just to mention that Disney Infinity accidently released a major spoiler about Reys Parentage, Google it at your own risk lol.

It's nothing. Some people just misunderstood a line that Kylo Ren said in the game.
  • It's possible that Rey is Lukes daughter but I think she was actually one of his students, maybe a new arrival. When the Knights of Ren killed the others, I think Luke escaped with her and maybe others in their FO dropship (the one in the flashback). He then pulled a Yoda and split the survivors up so Kylo and Snoke wouldn't be able to find them/her.

She was a young child so she repressed those memories. This could be why she so easily mind tricked the trooper and was able to beat a wounded Kylo in combat. She already had a working knowledge from her training with Luke.

R2-D2 activates when Rey is in proximity for the first time. This suggests that R2 knows she's safe and a subroutine activates telling him it's okay to contact Luke.

I'm glad someone else said it so I don't have to type it. Pretty much hit how I think about the situation. I feel she is definitely a former student.
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Pros:

Rey
    Chewie was bad***
    Rey
    BB-8
    Rey
    Nostalgia and Easter eggs
    Rey

Cons:

Kylo Ren is a lackluster villain and I hope snooke is the main villain in episode 9.

They played it very safe.

I didn't get to see any amazing sets. This may be because of the advancement of cgi, or budget constraints or whatever, but a lot of the film was shot outside or in boring sets. The internal rooms weren't as awe-inspiring as the other films. E.g. Naboo palace, Jedi Temple, Yoda's hut, Jabba's Palace etc. The few interior sets weren't anywhere near as intriguing as the past movies'. The only good interior set was Snooke's hologram throne room.

Finn is irritating. He has been raised in such an isolated way that he doesn't understand basic social norms and acts very odd.

Questions:

What happened to Phasma?

Why is C3P0's arm red?

Why was Rey abandoned?

How did Poe survive the TIE fighter crash?

Are the rest of the Knights Of Ren still alive?

Why have the **** * motifs become even more prominent?

*Edited out the four letter word for the Germans in WW2.

Why does Kylo wear the mask?
    Post edited by cosmicturtle333 on
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • The movie was awesome, it was worth the wait. I was only disappointed with the legendary John Williams. Except Rey's Theme, no other major track from the soundtrack, which is unexpected from the master of the movie composer.
    Team Instinct - #1 PvP Powerhouse, dedicated with the strongest compassion to dominate.
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I'll probably see it again and pay more attention to the details and try to view it from a different point of view (including the score).

Another thing I didn't like was the very start. The star destroyer that moved over the planet was cool, but it didn't seem like it was the classic star wars beginning.

The dark side sets and locations were very dark in some areas, which is good to set a tone, but it doesn't look as good.
    Post edited by cosmicturtle333 on
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • This movie was the biggest disappointment of all. I prefer the prequels
    Can't beat POE and aren't willing to change strats to defeat him? Cry nerf lol
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    I'm just the opposite. The prequels (primarily episode 1 which rates right up there with Highlander 2 in movies that should never exist) left a bad taste in my mouth. This one, even with it being a rehash of the original, put me right back into my love of Star Wars. Yes there were some glaring holes and issues as I mentioned in other threads but far better than the prequels.

As Qeltar said, I am thinking Rey is in some way related to Obi Wan. Lots of hints pointing in this direction, almost as many as point to being related to Luke.
  • No way, prequels would kick this movies ****.
    The younglings would destroy Ren lol
    Big fan of the Sith history and their reemergence to power after hiding ( since Rule of Two) for a thousand years than bam they show up in Phantom Menace after generations of Sith knowledge/ dark side being passed down in secret from one master to the next and they completely destroyed the Jedi and Yoda
    Can't beat POE and aren't willing to change strats to defeat him? Cry nerf lol
  • Except the Jedi survived to destroy them lol Yoda kicked Palpatines butt and he knew it. You could see it in his eyes and Yoda's. Luck saved his a*s haha and a very long fall took a lot out of the nearly 900 yo little dude.

As for Ren, apparently he isn't fully trained.
  • Proof that Light Saber Crossguards are stupid—when Rey and Kylo lock sabers, one crossguard is clearly cutting into Kylo's right arm. Duh. It's hilarious! Critics will have a field day with that one once it becomes widely known, unless Abrams edits it out before the dvds are sent out.
  • imarobbiepie
    41 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Elsario wrote: »
    Proof that Light Saber Crossguards are stupid—when Rey and Kylo lock sabers, one crossguard is clearly cutting into Kylo's right arm. Duh. It's hilarious! Critics will have a field day with that one once it becomes widely known, unless Abrams edits it out before the dvds are sent out.

I think the main purpose of the "crossguards" is to vent and redirect heat to the sides of the saber. It reduces stress from the crystal because it is cracked.

• Anyone consider the possibility of rey being obi wans granddaughter? British accent, r2 responding to her, couple other things that may lead towards it being so. Food for thought.