Open Letter for FTP Comments on New Raid

First, before I talk about anything else, as a player I'm genuinely excited about new the release of new content and raids are no exception to that. I remember when the Tank and Sith Raids dropped and all the excitement about new strategies, new characters, and new rewards.

One concern I have, and I'd love to hear what other FTP players think on this, is over the timeline of new raids being released. As someone who tries to optimize their farming, I am only trying to invest in the characters that have the highest return. With the new raid currently being teased I can't help but feel like the gear/relics put into the Krayt raid (outside of unlocking Jabba) have been a waste at this point. In having to prioritize between prerequisite characters, TW/TB characters, and now new raid characters, it feels like spending resources and the teams required for the new raids is pretty much limited to farm the new GL that is included in the usable units for the raid and forgot about gearing up the rest. I'd love to hear other players thoughts on this.

Replies

• The new raid will last longer than the Krayt raid and the new raid also has a lot of quality units needed. Besides the Ewoks not needed for GLs, which units are really bad to have?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Gearing up characters will always serve a purpose, whether or not they are raid specific. GAC, Conquest, TB, TW, all of these game modes would be easier for you if you’re gearing up the right teams.

Forgetting about gearing the rest as you put it would leave you with a rather top heavy roster.
  • Yes gearing them up definitely will have a purpose, in a game where resources are limited (and yes this is the downside of being FTP) is that gearing a character that is required for better characters far outweighs gearing say CUP. An argument for gearing up CUP would be that I have more GP to deploy in TB but I think we can all agree having a purpose vs being actually useful throughout the game are 2 different things.
  • xXSpartan89Xx
    13 posts Member
    edited November 2023
    Gearing up characters will always serve a purpose, whether or not they are raid specific. GAC, Conquest, TB, TW, all of these game modes would be easier for you if you’re gearing up the right teams.

Forgetting about gearing the rest as you put it would leave you with a rather top heavy roster.

This is true. This raid has a much better utility across the board for the characters that are being required. But for Krayt, gearing Tuskens and Jawas just feels like such a waste at this point. It's not that those squads aren't useful but again, in having limited resources and choosing where to invest gear, the priority of those squads feels so much lower vs going after the next GL or legendary character.

I think for me what ultimately makes it feel like gearing the raid specific characters is a waste is just that when the next raid comes out those characters instantly lose utility. And yes as metas change and new content comes out characters always lose utility, but in the old raid system where we could have multiple raids launched, you didn't lose utility from the teams you geared up that were helpful at scoring higher in their respective raids.

• Gearing Jawas wouldn’t really help a roster unless they’re really deep into end game but tuskens are pretty good now. Outside of Krayt they’re deadly in GAC.

In reality the units that are required for raids gain that utility when the raid is around, and lose that same utility when a new raid is announced. Evens out at the end of the day and now you have some powerful squads you can use elsewhere. Not a waste.
  • Don't invest in teams that only have utility in the raids.

I only boosted my Jabba and Mando teams to R5 for Krayt. The rest, are way lower on my priority list.

For the new raid, obviously invest in Leia. No doubt she will be very useful even after the raid.
  • The top F2P accounts are at 12M with 8GL so at some point investment into these raid teams will happen as all other objectives have ready been met
  • It also depends on thresholds and priority. 130mil box required 2.6mil from each person. An r8 team of jabba, krr, bousch, and bf would get this threshold every time. Therefore there was no need to build anything else really, and old republic and Mandos at r5 level would be able to push you over 4mil for a nice buffer. I'm hopeful there can be similar teas for next raid
  • Pah, I'd rather have Leviathan.
  • Gearing up characters will always serve a purpose, whether or not they are raid specific. GAC, Conquest, TB, TW, all of these game modes would be easier for you if you’re gearing up the right teams.

This is true. This raid has a much better utility across the board for the characters that are being required. But for Krayt, gearing Tuskens and Jawas just feels like such a waste at this point. It's not that those squads aren't useful but again, in having limited resources and choosing where to invest gear, the priority of those squads feels so much lower vs going after the next GL or legendary character.

I think for me what ultimately makes it feel like gearing the raid specific characters is a waste is just that when the next raid comes out those characters instantly lose utility. And yes as metas change and new content comes out characters always lose utility, but in the old raid system where we could have multiple raids launched, you didn't lose utility from the teams you geared up that were helpful at scoring higher in their respective raids.

It’s a fair point, that we are now faced with multiple reasons to gear toons, but as to gearing units for a raid I think you have to look at their utility in other modes and not just consider their use in the raid. For Krayt I happily geared, and now have relic tuskens with the TW omi. I chose them over Jawas because they have uses in GAC, are a great counter even to double omi SK teams in TW and can be used in an assault battle too as a low kyro alternative to inqs. It wasn’t an investment in a raid team, it was a roster development.

For the upcoming raid there’s at least 24 toons to choose, many of them GL reqs, to make your 8 teams of 3 which have great use across game modes. It may mean that grinding for a major toon or GL takes a little longer in the short term, but viewing investment in raid teams as an investment that are also beneficial for GAC/TB/TW teams, like JKL, Troopers etc may help.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • I am more interested in the Omicroms that are raid specific now being useless. It's new material, new mechanics but they same rewards. Give the theory crafters a few days to release videos on how to optimize teams then try to match their builds while wonder how long this will last before we are back to the tank raid but buffed.
  • Have they announced the raid omicron for Scout Trooper yet?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Range1974 wrote: »
    I am more interested in the Omicroms that are raid specific now being useless. It's new material, new mechanics but they same rewards. Give the theory crafters a few days to release videos on how to optimize teams then try to match their builds while wonder how long this will last before we are back to the tank raid but buffed.

There is only one raid specific omicron, which cg talked about and gave a "discount" on when the new raid format launched
  • Blubcop wrote: »
    Range1974 wrote: »
    I am more interested in the Omicroms that are raid specific now being useless. It's new material, new mechanics but they same rewards. Give the theory crafters a few days to release videos on how to optimize teams then try to match their builds while wonder how long this will last before we are back to the tank raid but buffed.

There is only one raid specific omicron, which cg talked about and gave a "discount" on when the new raid format launched

Scout Trooper is getting one for this new raid.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Blubcop wrote: »
    Range1974 wrote: »

Scout Trooper is getting one for this new raid.

Oh forgot about that one, then the interesting part will be the price of it
  • Shadowscream
    968 posts Member
    edited November 2023
    Other than Jawas which team in Krayt isn’t useful elsewhere?
    1. OR - JKR, Jolee & Bastila still very relevant in GAC, TW, TB. Juhani…..TW. 50-RT also useful.
    2. BHs……
    3. Tuskens - Very useful in TW and also useful in GAC
  • Range1974 wrote: »
    Give the theory crafters a few days to release videos on how to optimize teams then try to match their builds while wonder how long this will last before we are back to the tank raid but buffed.

About 8 months

• Jawas was never a good Krayt team anyway so don’t understand all the focus on them.
    The 5 teams to max score did not include Jawas
  • I'd say, aside from Leia, don't bother. Your rebels, ewoks, and IT are probably already built enough to do work in GAC/TW/etc, and in the new Raid. Could they be better? Sure. But I'd put that gear and relic mats toward other teams you're farming for. The Raid is temporary. It's like Relicking a mediocre toon to use an L9 datacron. When the datacron expires, you've got yourself a nicer mediocre toon.
  • LordDirt
    4877 posts Member
    edited November 2023
    Screerider wrote: »
    I'd say, aside from Leia, don't bother. Your rebels, ewoks, and IT are probably already built enough to do work in GAC/TW/etc, and in the new Raid. Could they be better? Sure. But I'd put that gear and relic mats toward other teams you're farming for. The Raid is temporary. It's like Relicking a mediocre toon to use an L9 datacron. When the datacron expires, you've got yourself a nicer mediocre toon.

But if a lot of your guild add the omicron and it gets you to the next reward then it is worth it or if you need to bump up a few more teams. Always depends where your guild is.
  • A long-term omicron might be more worth, over a temporary one.
  • Screerider wrote: »
    A long-term omicron might be more worth, over a temporary one.

Scout trooper's omicron works in all raids but you might not get to use her in future "Featured" raids for awhile after this one.
  • I get that. I even applied Boussh's... at least it was only 10 mats.
  • My view on it is that gearing the characters in a new raid that are relevant in other modes is a no brainer. So long as they were characters you wanted to use any way, the rewards from the raid are a huge boost. I wouldn’t spend gear on raid teams that are only useful in the raid though.