Is the new skill squish algorithm working?

Meathead's announcement seemed to indicate the intention was to repopulate kyber. Now I'm not sure if that specifically means they want get all the kyber levels back to the original numbers or just kyber in general. The reason I bring this up is because the latest squish just happened an hour ago and was half expecting those in high kyber 2 to get pushed back into kyber 1 to start to repopulate it. But instead our skill rating just dropped again like every squish before it. I'm not sure how they plan to get levels back to normal when k1 is still shrinking. But again maybe they meant to get people from aurodium to kyber and have everyone just sit in low kyber.

Replies

• K1 skill rating drop was less than prior seasons during last season’s sign-up. All else being equal, that should either slow the depopulation of K1, keep it steady state, or even slowly increase over time. If you want to keep track, K1 population is currently spot 1823, so check back here same time next season to see if that cutoff spot has grown.

https://swgoh.gg/gac/leaderboard/?page=37
  • scuba
    14009 posts Member
    Mine went up by 39
    3253 to 3293
    I am in K3

• They said they wanted to move people up into the Kyber league, and the new squish will do a fantastic job of that. And while they never said anything about wanting to impact K1, they did also recenter the Kyber squish from the K3/4 border to the middle of K2. This will grow K1, but it do so a good bit slower than it will impact their main goal, moving people up from the lower leagues into Kyber.

We’ll see actual numbers in a few days, but the squish is going to result in a big bump for Kyber, and higher average rewards across the board.
  • K1 skill rating drop was less than prior seasons during last season’s sign-up. All else being equal, that should either slow the depopulation of K1, keep it steady state, or even slowly increase over time. If you want to keep track, K1 population is currently spot 1823, so check back here same time next season to see if that cutoff spot has grown.

K1 was essentially at steady state in the old squish. With the new squish it will definitely grow month over month unless they decide to adjust it again.

1823 is definitely higher than it was during its lowest phase just recently (around 1000), so I think their system is working. The K1 squish was smaller this time too, and K2 stayed at the same rating if I'm not mistaken. Or if K2 ratings changed, then only by a very small amount.
  • Allen00852
    1 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Confused about the intention behind the announcement – was it to restore all kyber levels or just boost overall kyber population? Skill ratings dropping after the latest squish raises concerns about achieving the desired balance.

Post edited by Allen00852 on
  • Allen00852 wrote: »
    Confused about the intention behind the announcement – was it to restore all kyber levels or just boost overall kyber population? Skill ratings dropping after the latest squish raises concerns about achieving the desired balance.

There will always be some that drop - why is that a cause for concern?

F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.

Their stated intention was to provide to move more of the population up to Kyber. So adjust what league people are in. They didn’t say anything about the balance in divisions. Now the new squish will make K1 and K2 grow, it just wasn’t a stated goal.

It is mainly a concern for K1. If there is consistently a drop at high K2 and low K1, by definition K1 will shrink. So in order to stablize K1 population, the squishing should be about neutral at the K1/K2 border, and drop should be progressively more toward mid to high K1.
  • sloweagle wrote: »
    Allen00852 wrote: »

It is mainly a concern for K1. If there is consistently a drop at high K2 and low K1, by definition K1 will shrink. So in order to stablize K1 population, the squishing should be about neutral at the K1/K2 border, and drop should be progressively more toward mid to high K1.

A small negative drop at high K2/low K1 does not at all mean K1 will shrink season to season. So long as the squish is smaller than the distribution drift over the course of the season (like it currently is) then K1 will grow each month.
  • MasterSeedy
    4925 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Is the new skill squish algorithm working?

The best person to tell you this (outside of CG, who won't tell you) is Taliana. She's the math goddess who did most of the original mathematical modelling of the squish and what was happening to k1 and why.

Unfortunately she's had some sad family stuff come up, and is not available. She's long paid close attention to the issue, though, so I'm sure that she'll take a look at it in due time. December is often a crazy time for a lot of people, though, so you should consider it at least possible that we won't have her definitive statement on the issue until next squish 4 weeks from now.
    Post edited by MasterSeedy on
  • TVF
    36445 posts Member
    3500-3600 SR range and I've lost 10 and 16 SR the last two seasons. Prior to that I was losing like 50-60 iirc. It's working for me.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Same as TVF, squish is a lot less aggressive so seems like it’s working.
    We will be able to tell once more data is in and someone have had proper time to dive into it.