Approaching galactic conquest as free to play

I've found that galactic conquest can be somewhat fun at times and at other times tedious. As a free to play gamer I never bother going after the conquest pass as I don't always feel obligated to play it if I don't have enough energy points or fully charged squads and haven't cleared beyond normal difficulty. What are some helpful tips on how to make good progress without the pass? I know that doing the extra requirements will offer more rewards like using specific toons/factions in so many battles but I don't have enough powerful squads capable of surviving tougher enemies in later stages when enemies get to relic levels.

Replies

• You dont need the pass unless you cant get red crate, every conquest you get enough posints to buy 20 shards of the unit, red crate gives 90 x that by 3 a d thats 330 free character, if you cant red crate it then you buy the pass and use whatever currency you have to buy the other 20 shards and unlock the toon in 4 or 5 months.
    Paying 9.99 per month for a game that gives this much entertainment is nothing and the pass has some good stuff in it so you should get imo. See it as a better netflix subscription
  • scuba
    13991 posts Member
    Or don't buy the pass and still get it in 4 to 5 months
  • Coolnessda wrote: »
    I've found that galactic conquest can be somewhat fun at times and at other times tedious. As a free to play gamer I never bother going after the conquest pass as I don't always feel obligated to play it if I don't have enough energy points or fully charged squads and haven't cleared beyond normal difficulty. What are some helpful tips on how to make good progress without the pass? I know that doing the extra requirements will offer more rewards like using specific toons/factions in so many battles but I don't have enough powerful squads capable of surviving tougher enemies in later stages when enemies get to relic levels.

A few suggestions, as I’m in the same boat as you, having never bought a pass.

1. To start off with, go through all the sectors as quick as you can. Use hard counters or GLs such that you know you won’t drop a battle (except maybe on a boss or mini-boss if the RNG is bad). That way you waste very little energy and can broaden your disk selection quickly.

2. Go after the challenge path only on the sections leading up to disk choices and not scavengers. In the sections leading up to scavengers try and pick easier modes, or ones which might let you cheese a feat later.

3. Only once you have a full disk selection should you focus on going back and topping off feats in sectors. If you do the 3x50c refreshes daily then you can get to the end of s5 by the 5th/6th day. That gives enough time to do almost any feat from scratch, except the win 40 with X if you only have one decent team for it. Additionally, if you’re not worrying about beating the hardest nodes at this point you can also afford to spend some energy on disk swapping.

4. This is more of a long term piece of advice, but get JML. His granted ability has helped in cheesing sooo many feats over the last year or so I’ve had him.

Of course these are only suggestions from my own meandering experience and other FTP players might disagree, but this was me with 9m GP with three days to go. DC farming time now.

28iw5akaht9j.png
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • To number 1, above, I'd say you are wasting way more energy this way. Going through with hard counters, instead of feat completing teams on your way through is costing you extra energy that could be used on your dc farm (or just less crystal use if not farming). In this conquest, every battle that is not a sector feat team should be Rebels (heaps of teams available at all stages of the game) or First Order to work through those 80 battles. If you're getting those 30 key cards it hardly matters if there are a few 1 or 2 star battles on the way.

To number 2, I think this is a mistake for FTP conquesting. No pass means no extra consumables from that extra rewards track (there are heaps). With a limited roster at lower GP, the consumables can make a big difference. Initial tether and the frenzy tech in particular can make an impossible node passable. Gong off the challenge path cuts down on your chances of seeing those, and getting to choose the more useful other boosters. It is still worth it to divert off the challenge path for that cheesy Phoenix or First Order enemy team, but only in sectors where it really matters for a feat. And in that case, I'd divert ahead of a disk choice as well, not just hope to see them again later.

I think the most important thing to do if trying to get the best rewards for your roster is planning. Go to discord ahead of the conquest and find the feat list. Figure out what you can likely achieve with your roster. If you can, look at what feats you can skip that cost the most per key card. For example, the resistance team and bounty hunter team x14 feats in sectors 1 and 2 are only worth 5 points each for 14 battles. That's a lot of energy for 5 points, if you could be doing other feats, or getting more stars off nodes along the way. But only skip them if it fits your plan.

Make sure to do a few battles for the big feats every day. I do 2 ewok battles early in the day, 2 at night. That's 4 battles at 90%+ stamina each day, to have 20 cut in 5 days. Doing the same thing for a 40 battle feat gets it done in 10 days, no stress and not really that repetitive (for this game). The 5 or 10 day time frame means you have a few days to get some disks before starting this too.

The last thing I'd like to say is about stamina management. Once you have a few sectors open you have options. If you don't have a good disk setup by sector 3, keep pushing along to get sectors done and get the disks you need. If you have an ok setup by then, you can now do a few battles in each sector each day to keep stamina high. I think of it in refreshes. Do a refresh (6 battles on hard) in sector 1 dc farming for teams that you have that can't beat other stuff. For me that is 2 ewoks and a light side mandos fight this time, then 2 Veers/piett kills fights on the Mon Mothma sector 2 dc node. Another refresh can go to moving earlier sector feats along. The third refresh and natural energy goes into progressing further. This means you are using a wide range of teams every day, spreading the stamina use, and making it less repetitive in a day.
  • It's not as helpful for the first pass through a conquest on the first conquest of a cycle, but swgoh-4-lyfe has excellent videos to help you plan which teams to use were, and how to cheese which feats.

There are many other people making excellent videos, and the reason I don't recommend them first is that they don't have that handy website organizing the vids so you can easily go to exactly the sector and info you need.

That said, you and other members of your guild should have a way of communicating with each other (usually Discord) and y'all should get in the habit of sharing those other videos to help your guild mates out. Your own discord is where you share those other videos -- many of which are better than the swgoh-4-lyfe vids when it comes to specific feats or boss nodes. Since s4l is going to be more than good enough for most miniboss and boss nodes, and since most feats are easy using s4l strategies, you should be able to share a smaller number of videos just for the hardest nodes and feats. Different content creators will hit on a good strategy, then others will optimize it, and soon you can end up with a strategy that can do things like 300 foresight in a single battle. That's the kind of help that s4l won't have, because on that website he usually only lists a single video, made early on, of his feat strategies. There simply hasn't been enough time to steal and remix and optimize ideas yet.

But cooperate with your guild mates or even ask questions here or on a Discord Conquest server and people will help you find the right strategy for the most difficult feats.

Always be on the lookout for these disks:
    VV (Voluntary Vanguard) -- needs 1, max. I don't normally have it equipped, but I will equip it for specific feats & nodes.
    AA (Amplify Agony) -- I would recommend just 2 at green or blue, but you might have a white one from early on, and if your teams are particularly weak it can sometimes be worth it to have a 3rd green/blue
    VA (Volatile Accelerator) -- just one green or blue, but if you come across a green first, it is probably worth it to take a blue one if you see it later
    UD (Unstable Decelerator) -- 2 max
    RS (Relentless Swiftness) -- 2 or 3, 2 is usually more than fine. I do almost everything with only 1 equipped but having an extra has been useful to me on some difficult nodes
    RO (Relentless Offence) -- stacks offence whenever an enemy falls below 100% health

Healing disks are useful, as are Vitality disks, but it's not important that you get a specific type. Whether it's protection recovery on out of turn attacks or health recovery upon gaining a debuff, gather up 2 or even 3 of these (but never more than 1 of the same type in case there's a niche use that only works with one of them).

There's also a disk that gives stacking offence with out of turn attacks that's useful. Some teams won't gain offence from it, but other teams that assist or counter frequently gain a ton. Because of this inconsistency and because it uses 2 slots instead of one, I consider this less useful than Relentless Offence (1 slot) which will give every team some offence, but won't stack as high as the other when used with a team optimized for out of turn attacks. it's useful to pick up.

Other people may think of disks I've forgotten, but these are disks you should want every time, and they're worth using the hard path to have as many chances as possible to get them.
  • Other people may think of disks I've forgotten, but these are disks you should want every time, and they're worth using the hard path to have as many chances as possible to get them.
    Invasive Endings is a new disc that is extremely nice coupled with the VA/AA. It makes you give all enemies 5 dots whenever one of your characters die

With IE and a blue VA / 2 AA discs every time a character dies I dealt enough dmg to put 47 dots on all enemies.

It was good to 3star some troublesome nodes (by using someone that revives), and also to finish up some feats on teams I dont have at usuable levels atm like Resistance.

I could take 5 level 1 resistance toons in to a battle with no aoe skills, like geos, and when they killed one all the enemies instantly died off.
  • If you ftp - focuse on gold crate. Red crate requires brand new characters or conquest character that are usually gated from ftp(if you not 9+ mill account).
    With gold crate 65 x 3 and 25 x 3 you will receive 270 shards.
    So, you need to buy 60 more with conquest currancy during the year. Or buy conquest pass to cover this shards.
    5-6 month and conquest character is yours.
  • scuba
    13991 posts Member
    DeusArt wrote: »
    If you ftp - focuse on gold crate. Red crate requires brand new characters or conquest character that are usually gated from ftp(if you not 9+ mill account).
    So, you need to buy 60 more with conquest currancy during the year. Or buy conquest pass to cover this shards.

So because you don't know how to manage your resources you want to give others bad advice?
    FTP can absolutly get red crate every time if they have the time to grind out the feats.
    I don't buy the pass and have gotten red crate every time even when g12 new charaters are "required"
    most of the time you can skip the feat with the new "required" units and still get through

Should only settle for gold if you lack the time to spend going after red.
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1048 posts Member
    edited February 6
    *sarcasm* I also like the advice to an OP who stated that they don’t buy the pass to… buy the pass. *sarcasm*

EDIT - tone of comment added
    Post edited by Notthatguyfrombefore on
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • scuba
    13991 posts Member
    I also like the advice to an OP who stated that they don’t buy the pass to… buy the pass.

or save money and don't buy it.
    Pass just saves time, nothing in the pass is needed to red crate
  • scuba wrote: »
    So because you don't know how to manage your resources you want to give others bad advice?
    FTP can absolutly get red crate every time if they have the time to grind out the feats.
    I don't buy the pass and have gotten red crate every time even when g12 new charaters are "required"
    most of the time you can skip the feat with the new "required" units and still get through

When you could pass "g12 new characters" means that you have all other requirements. But what if you don't? Could you complete LS Mandolorians feat when you have only BAM reliced and Mando g9?
    Current conquest is easy one. But previous conquest required Incs, journey, conquest and new characters in same time. In case when you are 5-6m GP and didn't have conquest characters in your roster at all - it's just impossible to hit red crate.
  • scuba wrote: »
    If you ftp - focuse on gold crate. Red crate requires brand new characters or conquest character that are usually gated from ftp(if you not 9+ mill account).

It's not bad advice at all. Telling somebody going for gold crate still gets you the new unit in 5 months instead of 3 is a good point, especially if the next conquest may be more demanding than this one, looking at the steady increase in feat and/or battle difficulty we saw til now.

I always go for gold crate if I want to unlock the new unit asap, since red crate is just annoying to get and requires, just as DeusArt wrote, most of the new shinies at high levels to comfortably get (not doing 10.000 cheeses with jml)

As a FTP with not that much time I would further advise to choose Which conquest to grind and Which not.
    If I want the unit badly, I go for the gold crate. If it's interesting for my roster I go for the 465 crate and see if I have resources to buy crystals. If I don't care at all for the unit I go for the second or third chest.
    Helps with keeping the grind in check, so I won't get annoyed with the mode.
  • DeusArt wrote: »
    Could you complete LS Mandolorians feat when you have only BAM reliced and Mando g9?

Yes, you can. I did it with R3 BAM and G8 Armorer, Bo, IG12&Grogu and Paz, with last two being at 4 and 3 stars. And that's without VV disk (no luck this time).
  • I just couldn't be bothered with grinding all the feats and I settle for the gold crate
  • Others have given very thorough advice on the game play in getting through the conquest. My advice will be on resource management.

Buying shards for the conquest characters become cheaper when they are not the main one. For instance, the next conquest will be Darth Bane's third and final conquest. Then he will become the secondary character. After that, he will still be available for shard purchases. That is when you should get your remaining required shards. Accept that rather than six or fewer conquests, you will still be able to unlock the characters before they hit proving grounds.
    scuba wrote: »

When you could pass "g12 new characters" means that you have all other requirements. But what if you don't? Could you complete LS Mandolorians feat when you have only BAM reliced and Mando g9?
    Current conquest is easy one. But previous conquest required Incs, journey, conquest and new characters in same time. In case when you are 5-6m GP and didn't have conquest characters in your roster at all - it's just impossible to hit red crate.

Actually, I can't remember a conquest where there were enough "hard no" feats to preempt 630 keycards. By "hard no" I mean when the player simply does not have the toon required. They have always designed it so that if you can't do any of the "hard no" feats, you have to complete everything else. Granted that means a lot of hard grinding and cheesing, and in general a very demanding process, but at least in theory it's possible to red crate.
  • Actually, I can't remember a conquest where there were enough "hard no" feats to preempt 630 keycards. By "hard no" I mean when the player simply does not have the toon required. They have always designed it so that if you can't do any of the "hard no" feats, you have to complete everything else. Granted that means a lot of hard grinding and cheesing, and in general a very demanding process, but at least in theory it's possible to red crate.
    As example Malicos conquest:
    22jdhr27d561.jpg
    Hard no:
    • Ben Solo surviving - 3
    • Gain We Have Returned - 10
    • Win with Admiral Trench - 4
    • Win with Jedi Knight Cal Kestis - 5
    • Win 40 battles with Darth Malgus - 15
    Total: 37 - Total you could skip for red crate: 34

And I didn't speak about not having JML to complete surviving feats or Starkiller feat if you just didn't have him. All rosters are different and at 5-6M GP you always didn't have something that is needed.
    But I'm really happy for those who have everything and hit red crate regularly.
    Actually, I can't remember a conquest where there were enough "hard no" feats to preempt 630 keycards. By "hard no" I mean when the player simply does not have the toon required. They have always designed it so that if you can't do any of the "hard no" feats, you have to complete everything else. Granted that means a lot of hard grinding and cheesing, and in general a very demanding process, but at least in theory it's possible to red crate.
    As example Malicos conquest:
    22jdhr27d561.jpg
    Hard no:
    • Ben Solo surviving - 3
    • Gain We Have Returned - 10
    • Win with Admiral Trench - 4
    • Win with Jedi Knight Cal Kestis - 5
    • Win 40 battles with Darth Malgus - 15
    Total: 37 - Total you could skip for red crate: 34

And I didn't speak about not having JML to complete surviving feats or Starkiller feat if you just didn't have him. All rosters are different and at 5-6M GP you always didn't have something that is needed.
    But I'm really happy for those who have everything and hit red crate regularly.

Ok, I see where you are coming from now. When I was talking about my "hard no", I didn't account for those conquest characters from more than one or two cycles ago. I mean if by Malicos one still hasn't got Malgus or Swolo, it's kind of becoming a "death spiral" situation, isn't it?
  • scuba
    13991 posts Member

You are changing your argument now.
    You are talking about old units now.
    There is only one new unit you needed to complete the LS Mando feat and he could have been g9
  • scuba
    13991 posts Member
    edited February 7

It's not bad advice at all. Telling somebody going for gold crate still gets you the new unit in 5 months instead of 3 is a good point, especially if the next conquest may be more demanding than this one, looking at the steady increase in feat and/or battle difficulty we saw til now.

I always go for gold crate if I want to unlock the new unit asap, since red crate is just annoying to get and requires, just as DeusArt wrote, most of the new shinies at high levels to comfortably get (not doing 10.000 cheeses with jml)

As a FTP with not that much time I would further advise to choose Which conquest to grind and Which not.
    If I want the unit badly, I go for the gold crate. If it's interesting for my roster I go for the 465 crate and see if I have resources to buy crystals. If I don't care at all for the unit I go for the second or third chest.
    Helps with keeping the grind in check, so I won't get annoyed with the mode.

It is bad advice to say because you are ftp you should only go for gold crate.
    It will be roster dependent (not spending dependent) if you can get red or not and should be evaluated each time, not as a blanket rule.
    Yes going gold is not a bad thing, but not going for red just because you are ftp is a horrible suggestion. Heck as I said before, could even be a time constraint.
    Aim for red, settle for gold if roster or time doesn't allow for red.
  • You are changing your argument now.

I don't think that they ever specified new units. They were just talking about having a specific unit that is required to finish a feat, where if you don't have that unit, the feat is utterly impossible. And there are feats like that, and sometimes there are enough feats like that that folks on the lower end of Hard Conquest eligibility may find red crate literally impossible.

I think that we as readers just assumed that they were only talking about the tip-of-the-spear units. It was a misperception, not a change in argument.
  • scuba
    13991 posts Member
    You are changing your argument now.

I don't think that they ever specified new units. They were just talking about having a specific unit that is required to finish a feat, where if you don't have that unit, the feat is utterly impossible. And there are feats like that, and sometimes there are enough feats like that that folks on the lower end of Hard Conquest eligibility may find red crate literally impossible.

I think that we as readers just assumed that they were only talking about the tip-of-the-spear units. It was a misperception, not a change in argument.

Specially said new units.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2457478/#Comment_2457478

I agree if you can't get the feats you can't get them, again it is situational to every conquest. To say ftp should focus on gold only is nonsense.
  • Solem_Phyxx
    69 posts Member
    edited February 8
    So looking at it from another angle, saying you must always focus on red crate, because it is theoretically possibly for anyone, is also horrible advice.
    Since we don't know his roster or GP, I still think generally going for gold is the best time/frustration to reward ratio, and as such not bad advice. And the surest crate getting you the new character you can recommend, not knowing anything about OPs resources.

Anyways if OP wants to unlock conquest units he should look for videos, as others mentioned. I prefer kahzgul's [near as I can tell] guides on Reddit, since I like reading at my own pace. He always lists cheeses and feats that synergize, so really useful to keep the battles to a minimum.
    And if you really want to unlock those units, be prepared to spend crystals on refreshes, so it's worthwhile to save crystals beforehand, if your income is limited.
    Post edited by Solem_Phyxx on
  • My apologies, Scuba.
  • scuba
    13991 posts Member
    So looking at it from another angle, saying you must always focus on red crate, because it is theoretically possibly for anyone, is also horrible advice.
    Since we don't know his roster or GP, I still think generally going for gold is the best time/frustration to reward ratio, and as such not bad advice. And the surest crate getting you the new character you can recommend, not knowing anything about OPs resources.

Anyways if OP wants to unlock conquest units he should look for videos, as others mentioned. I prefer kahzgul's [near as I can tell] guides on Reddit, since I like reading at my own pace. He always lists cheeses and feats that synergize, so really useful to keep the battles to a minimum.
    And if you really want to unlock those units, be prepared to spend crystals on refreshes, so it's worthwhile to save crystals beforehand, if your income is limited.

I can partially agree with that.
    If you can't red you can't red.
    However it is roster dependent and can change from conquest to conquest.
    Red should not be discounted just because some one is ftp. Needs to be evaluated each cycle/set of conquest.

Now is someone asked how should I approach conquest to reduce time sink I would absolutely say gold all the way, just know if you don't get the new shiny it could impact you down the road, trade offs.
  • TVF
    36418 posts Member
    If you can't red you can't red.

Misread as "if you can't read you can't read

Misred?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Sounds like a t-shirt slogan, also it's infallibly true.
    But since both red and gold allow you to get the new shiny, with minor differences in time frame, OP must survey his roster capabilities himself.

Since there is quite a bit more of useful feedback in this thread he/she should be able to determine his best way forward. What's important as well is to keep up to date with datamines and road aheads. It was the reason I went gold crate for Malgus, and CG will probably use conquest to access new GL level content.