Beginner's Guide to Understand Squad Composition and Character Selection

EliasLund
41 posts Member
edited December 2015
[ General considerations on squads ]

There are two types of battles:

Mixed squads, and light against dark.

Almost all fights have mixed squads. The only exception are the Light Side Battles and the Dark Side Battles, where you have either a dark squads fighting against a light squads, or a light squad fighting against a dark squad.

In Arena, Cantina, Galactic War, Events & Challenges, and Keycard, you always have a mix of light and dark.

[ Squad composition basics ]

In some Challenges, you can bring only a specific class. For example only healers & support, or only attackers. So it makes sense to have a good mix not only of light and dark, but also of character classes.

In terms of winning in Arena, Cantina, and so on, you might need a mix of classes.

For example you might have a strong attacker who can hit really hard, but has low health.

So to protect your attacker you might use a tank, who can taunt and absorb most of the hits delivered by your opponent.

If the other squad has lots of hitting power, you might need a healer in addition to your attacker and tank, so to heal the tank and attacker from time to time.

Some characters can block the healing process, so you might need somebody who can deliver blocks against those blocks (so called "abilities block").

As you can see, the tactics can become quite complex. In essence, it might be a good idea to watch out for characters that have different strengths than your current squad, to make your squad more balanced.

[ Character classes ]

Some typical characters in each class:

Attacker: Resistance Trooper (light), Jawa (light), Snowtrooper (dark), Clone Sergeant Phase I (dark), Savage Opress (dark)

Tank: Clone Wars Chewbacca (light), Royal Guard (dark), Poe Dameron (light)

Healer: Jedi Consular (light), Talia (dark), Luminara Unduli (light)

Special Weapons / Advanced Tactics (SWAT): Count Dooku (dark, with strong counter attack and bonus attack), Darth Sidious (dark, basic attacks come with healing block), Barriss Offee (light, can heal through heal block by equalizing).

[ Leaders ]

It is also a good idea to observe the "Leader" ability of your characters. Some have a leader ability, some don't. Some leaders add a bonus to all types of characters, some only to a specific type, for example only to Jedi or only to Ewoks. So these leaders might limit your squad composition if you want to take full advantage of the leader ability.

[ Synergies ]

Another consideration is to watch out for synergies between characters. Some characters gain additional advantages if some other character classes or types are on the squad. So for example some characters are stronger if you have droids on your squad, and only if you have droids.

So that is all about squad composition.

[ Choosing individual characters ]

Another factor you might want to consider is the individual character. Some characters start as low star (1 or 2 star), some characters start much higher (3 or 4 star). A higher star has the advantage that you don't need credit AND shards to promote him or her. Higher star characters are usually available through shards only, so no credits needed to get to the same amount of stars.

Characters also differ in how you can increase their stars. For some characters, you can simply buy shards from Shipments in Arena, Galactic War or Cantina. For some characters, you need to win shards in battles. The difference is, that you might to win a good bunch of those battles until a single shard is dropped, while from Shipments you get 5 shards for sure if you have the required currency. So understanding how to earn shards to increase the stars of your character is also an important consideration.

Some more info on individual characters can be found here:

http://www.swgohcantina.com/hero-stats/

Anything you would add?
Post edited by EliasLund on

Replies

• How would you adapt team composition for Arena, Cantina, Galactic War and Events & Challenges specifically?
  • Very good guide m8. I just want to add - guys you have to experiment. The game is new, we don't know lots of stuff and the only way to figure that out is to try new things. You should follow the guides but they are not always the only way to go forward. So when you hit lvl 40 you will see that the diversity of this game is a big part of the way to become top player.
    Just want to add something to @EliasLund guide:
    There are several characters you have to use and they are free:
    Darth Sid - Great dmg dealer with heal immunity attack - Arena shipments
    Lumi - my best toon - Greath healer and dps dealer - GW shipments
    I think these two are the core of the F2P squad and should be stared up till 7* as fast as you could.
  • Agree on the Sid/Lumi point.

Experimenting is what we need to do a ton. I'm working on some custom synergies with mixed, niche squads. Things like a crit/counter hybrid and board control (turn meter manipulation)/Neg effects.

We all know the common synergies like Jedi, Sith, NightSister, etc but there are others your may look past. Jawas basic hits for 25% more damage if a negative condition exists, so by adding him to a debuff team, he hits harder with his most frequent attack. Lots of other options.

And I'd also add that skill training is huge in team selection, especially as gear improves. If you hit for 100 in level 1 gear, 5% is only 5 more damage but at 7 stars you might hit for 1000 and then the bonus is more substantial in addition to the other gear stats.
  • Good point. We should add a section that name those characters that you should consider. Because out of the 71 characters currently available, only 10 to 15 are currently worth considering to star up and gear up.

Here is my list:

- Barrisss Offee
    - Darth Maul
    - Darth Sidiuous
    - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    - Boba Fett
    - Old Daka
    - Count Dooku
    - Royal Guard
    - Poe Dameron
    - Luminara Unduli
    - Clone Wars Chewbacca
    - Talia
    - Jedi Consular
    - Savage Opress

Not all of them are useful early on. Some are more like SWAT, with abilities to counter other abilities. But those other abilities are not present at early stages of the game. So not too easy to decide if you should still go right to these SWAT characters, although they have limited use in the early game. Or if you should focus on other characters first, with the drawback that those characters have little value in the late game, and all invested gear, shards and training droids are lost.

Any suggestions?
  • EliasLund wrote: »
    Good point. We should add a section that name those characters that you should consider. Because out of the 71 characters currently available, only 10 to 15 are currently worth considering to star up and gear up.

Here is my list:

- Barrisss Offee
    - Darth Maul
    - Darth Sidiuous
    - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    - Boba Fett
    - Old Daka
    - Count Dooku
    - Royal Guard
    - Poe Dameron
    - Luminara Unduli
    - Clone Wars Chewbacca
    - Talia
    - Jedi Consular
    - Savage Opress

Not all of them are useful early on. Some are more like SWAT, with abilities to counter other abilities. But those other abilities are not present at early stages of the game. So not too easy to decide if you should still go right to these SWAT characters, although they have limited use in the early game. Or if you should focus on other characters first, with the drawback that those characters have little value in the late game, and all invested gear, shards and training droids are lost.

Any suggestions?
    Keep in mind that several of those heroes are, as a practical matter, not practical for FTP players, at least at end game (because they are impossible, or nearly so, to 7*).

Also, I think you're missing a few good options, though some of them are only good on certain specialized teams. Some of those options: Luke, ventress, pharma. I'm sure I am also missing some.