GAC 3v3 and 5v5 skill rating

I wouldn't hate 3v3 GAC nearly as much if it didn't mess with my 5v5 skill rating. I know they don't want to get rid of 3v3 as much as many of us hate it. So the least they could do is make a seperate 5v5 and 3v3 sr. That way I can stay in Kyber in 5v5 and I can get beat back down to auro in 3v3. It would also help us play against people of our skill level since 3v3 is literally a different game. I just hate that I risk my 5v5 skill rating whenever I play 3v3.

Replies

• I don't dislike 3v3 and like the change of pace (especially since I do better there)
    But I agree that this would be a good QOL thing
  • Let's tease out the implication of this a little.

If a player just doesn't engage in 3v3, they get all losses, and their 3v3 SR plummets. Eventually they are getting say kyber rewards 5v5 month, then bronzium(?) rewards in the 3v3 with minimal play. Zero participation would eventually see that 3v3 SR in Carbonite.

If a player is bad at 3v3, but still tries a little, maybe that 3v3 league they sit in is a bit higher. Still they are going to be getting less rewards half the time.

It seems to me that a separate 3v3 SR would likely make participation in 3v3 even more important to maintain rewards. Sure, your 5v5 months are not impacted by your 3v3 performance, but fully half of your rewards are anyway.
  • Don’t think we needed a second thread about 3v3 but this would be a terrible solution for those that hate 3v3. You’d trend 50/50 in 5v5 and 3v3 but due to lack of interest/skill your rewards would be significantly less in 3v3 and worse than it is now in 5v5.

I totally get that there is a significant population that hates 3v3 but really it’s not that different from 5v5 and just a minimal understanding of kits allows you to understand which characters are stronger or weaker in 3v3 vs 5v5.
  • rickertron
    312 posts Member
    edited February 10
    I disagree with OP. GAC is a competition that pits one roster against another in either 5 vs 5 or 3 vs 3 format. The goal is the same regardless if you are in 3 vs 3 or 5 vs 5, win more banners than your opponent. In 5 vs 5 and 3 vs 3 the same basic knowledge is required to defeat your opponent. One needs a good working knowledge of their roster ; strengths and weaknesses of their individual toons and kit interactions. In addition, one needs a working knowledge of all toons and teams in general. In sum that is the skill that is measured by skill rating. This basic skill does not change whether you play 3 vs 3 or 5 vs 5.

Additionally, when one plays 5 vs 5, its not like you don't play undermanned squads at times. And many strong teams in 5v5 derive their strength from one or 3 toons with the rest being filler or providing diminishing returns in effectiveness. The core of many of the powerful 5 v 5 teams retain their power when used in 3 vs 3.

A skillfull player should be able to deploy their roster effectively in both 3 v 3 and 5 v 5.

Anecdotally I am in Kyber 3 and find that the competition between 3 v 3 and 5 v 5 is at par. Each match i have to think about what to deploy on D, what zones I want protect and what zones to sacrifice, anticipate which toons i will need for counters, etc. The preperation and execution between the two is the same. I have found my opponents to be just us challenging and engaged.

Finally, there are great resources available to help supplement your knowledge of counters.

• Meh I use to hate 3v3 and now i just dont care about it, end up winning and losing as much as 5v5 without having to put in any effort
  • 3v3 my map decided to not to add teams I previously had placed, for whatever reason it dropped a team, so I "gave away" points...why does this keep changing?

one time it also told me I had "too many teams in one sector" and also docked me points....makes no sense
  • 3v3 my map decided to not to add teams I previously had placed, for whatever reason it dropped a team, so I "gave away" points...why does this keep changing?

one time it also told me I had "too many teams in one sector" and also docked me points....makes no sense

Probably caused by movements between brackets that require a different amount of teams. Additional team slots need to be filled manually. You get that little annoying red dot in the edit window when this is the case.