GAC - Hiding Score

Replies

• East asia players have their GAC ends at 5:00 AM (or 6:00), so?
  • While I do like knowing I can skip a full blown attack if I see my opponent has posted a huge score, that' is something I can choose to do even if I didn't see it.

Hiding the scores does make GAC more world time-zone friendly. I can still choose to attack or not.

Maybe it can be rotated in, like 3v3, where every other GAC the points are hidden. It might become as beloved a game-mode as 3v3.
  • Justokay wrote: »
    Would love to have the option of hiding my score. I’m in the PT time zone so GAC always ends at 2 pm for me in the middle of my work day. I simply do not have the ability to wait to attack so I’m always, without fail, the first to attack. This is somewhat, or mostly, an advantage created/incentivized by time zones rather than patience or strategy. Just seems like an easy fix by hiding scores. And if there are folks that like going first, give them an option to show score.

This idea is common sense but the forum will try to tell you otherwise.
  • Wed_Santa wrote: »
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    Any aspect of the game can be a tactical opportunity- it’s up to you to have a bit of fun with it or to make it a frustration.

It sounds like OP's schedule does not allow him to utilize the tactical opportunity of his choosing. If I had more fun or felt better going 1st/2nd but my schedule didn't allow it, that would be frustrating. And I might saunter over to the forums and make a post about my preferences and see if it gains any traction... and then lose faith in humanity ;)

But isn’t that the point? You don’t choose tactical opportunities- you choose strategies. Tactical opportunities are what the objective conditions offer you.

Of course the OP has every right to vent when the conditions don’t suit their chosen strategy but the point I was trying to make is that, rather than asking for a change to reduce the impact of the conditions faced as an individual on their personal strategy by removing sight of scores for all of us, they might be better looking for ways to find tactical opportunities instead. It’s the categorical imperative really.

It sounds like I misunderstood your first post I replied to. I agree with your sentiment, but depending on how seriously one takes GAC and how one gets enjoyment from it, the meta can put heavy pressure on which strategies are viable.

Veering slightly off topic, I think the broader issue is that there is no consensus sentiment towards GAC. Some see it purely as a source of revenue. Others see it as competitive. But, because it is a significant source of revenue, one can't realistically opt out completely, which means the try-hards are lumped in with the coasters.

I get your point. But even the ones acknowledging they are using it as a source of revenue only are still saying they use the advantage to win when it suits them. The real issue here is that people don’t want to attack if they think they can’t win. Nobody is saying I don’t attack when my opponent leaves the door open to me.
  • Wed_Santa wrote: »
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    Any aspect of the game can be a tactical opportunity- it’s up to you to have a bit of fun with it or to make it a frustration.

It sounds like OP's schedule does not allow him to utilize the tactical opportunity of his choosing. If I had more fun or felt better going 1st/2nd but my schedule didn't allow it, that would be frustrating. And I might saunter over to the forums and make a post about my preferences and see if it gains any traction... and then lose faith in humanity ;)

But isn’t that the point? You don’t choose tactical opportunities- you choose strategies. Tactical opportunities are what the objective conditions offer you.

Of course the OP has every right to vent when the conditions don’t suit their chosen strategy but the point I was trying to make is that, rather than asking for a change to reduce the impact of the conditions faced as an individual on their personal strategy by removing sight of scores for all of us, they might be better looking for ways to find tactical opportunities instead. It’s the categorical imperative really.

Time zones aren’t a personal strategy. We all live in time zones. Time zones are themselves a categorical imperative. We all abide by them categorically. We cannot change them unless you’re suggesting we move to the best time zone to play the game to make use of the tactical opportunity. Or maybe get a night job. I’m asking to be given the chance to remove the tactical opportunity that exists for some but not others. Simply to level the playing field. I’m somewhat surprised that’s controversial. In that way, personal strategy as you put it has more stake in the outcome than a tactical opportunity based on a zip code. Given the outcry, sounds like most people won’t hide their scores anyway. I mean it’s not an advantage right?
  • rickertron wrote: »
    Profit wrote: »
    rickertron wrote: »
    Justokay wrote: »
    Would love to have the option of hiding my score. I’m in the PT time zone so GAC always ends at 2 pm for me in the middle of my work day. I simply do not have the ability to wait to attack so I’m always, without fail, the first to attack. This is somewhat, or mostly, an advantage created/incentivized by time zones rather than patience or strategy. Just seems like an easy fix by hiding scores. And if there are folks that like going first, give them an option to show score.

This is a you problem, not a game mode problem. Its working just fine. I share the same time zone as you and have no problem winning most of the matches where I attack first. Attacking at the deadline offers as much advantage as attacking 1st. I do not have an overpowered, efficient roster either.

IMO GAC is won or lost for the most part on the things you do prior to the 24 attack phase.

As they say in project management, success is 80% planning and 20% execution.

In all fairness it is not just fine for op, and he/she is offering a suggest for a fix for the problem. Others may or may not agree with the problem and/or solution.

Its not agreed that it is a problem with the game, Its a problem for the the OP, Where the suggested fix is not their own approach to the game, but a suggestion to modify the game and impact everyone else's game play.

The problem with this thread and many like it, is that the so called problems described are issues said player experiences as a result of their own choices and how they play game. The suggested solution is never to adjust their own game play, but rather have the game changed or modified to suit them. which is guaranteed to get some fiery responses in return.

You do understand that there are people that live in time zones where GAC ends while they’re sleeping? The problem here is that I gave you facts about me so you turned an equity argument into an ad hominem attack.
  • There is always an advantage when attacking second, the original poster is correct on that. If I see someone failed 3/4 times on something in my D then I know I can two shot something of theirs minimum. That extra knowledge is advantageous. And some people do have GAC end in the middle of the night so must go earlier. So they are disadvantaged.

If the devs want the game to be fair while competitive it does make sense to hide it because it stops people doing 1 battle and quitting if they know their opponent did a full clear. But I agree that knowing I can skip GAC because of this is helpful for me to not waste time.

Maybe a compromise where you can see zones defeated but not the overall score? That way people know early if it's viable to try attack but not if they need to be 100 clean while doing it or if they have leeway.
  • Going second is advantageous to minimizing time spent. That's the benefit - not any change in wins or losses.

I personally don't care too much if I win or lose a particular match up. I do care if I spent an hour more on the game than I had to, with no gain.

Hiding scores means certain strategies would no longer work. Strategies that I like.

Rotating the schedule won't change the strategies that can be used, but it would make it fair for all timezones, over time.
  • f80z8206djj9.png

Another example of why showing the score is awesome.
    I know I cannot win this round. There is nothing I can do.

Why should I spend any additional time battling this round when I know I cannot win?
    How is getting a higher losing score advantageous to me?
    @Justokay - You never answered me the first time, so perhaps you can answer me now.
  • f80z8206djj9.png

Another example of why showing the score is awesome.
    I know I cannot win this round. There is nothing I can do.

Why should I spend any additional time battling this round when I know I cannot win?
    How is getting a higher losing score advantageous to me?
    @Justokay - You never answered me the first time, so perhaps you can answer me now.

I'm curious, if you couldn't see the score, how many more battles would you do before you give up? No more than 11, I guess.

To your actual point, makes perfect sense to me why you'd like to see the scores. But, if you were of a more competitive mindset, you'd feel differently. Can't please everyone, I guess.
  • I do like the idea that you see battles, #attempts, greyed zones, just not the score. But I also understand the balance of "I don't want to spend an hour on a losing effort".

Maybe the scores are hidden in just kyber 1. ;)

That way, the uber competitive folks can battle it out and the rest of us can have a more relaxed experience.
  • TVF
    36418 posts Member
    OmegaIV wrote: »
    I do like the idea that you see battles, #attempts, greyed zones, just not the score. But I also understand the balance of "I don't want to spend an hour on a losing effort".

Maybe the scores are hidden in just kyber 1. ;)

That way, the uber competitive folks can battle it out and the rest of us can have a more relaxed experience.

I'm in K1. Still a hard no for me.

K1 is not all uber competitive since they adjusted the squish.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • To your actual point, makes perfect sense to me why you'd like to see the scores. But, if you were of a more competitive mindset, you'd feel differently. Can't please everyone, I guess.

us0ihficpo8v.png

Which is why I would be 100% totally cool for this to be an option.
  • To your actual point, makes perfect sense to me why you'd like to see the scores. But, if you were of a more competitive mindset, you'd feel differently. Can't please everyone, I guess.

us0ihficpo8v.png

Just change it to say "hide your opponent's score" that way if you don't want to see it you don't have to and everyone else can just carry on.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    Just change it to say "hide your opponent's score" that way if you don't want to see it you don't have to and everyone else can just carry on.

5ltub4928v0b.png
  • Wait, why would anyone choose to hide the opponent's score unilaterally? There may or may not be an advantage to see the score, but surely there isn't any to not see it, right?
  • Wait, why would anyone choose to hide the opponent's score unilaterally? There may or may not be an advantage to see the score, but surely there isn't any to not see it, right?

That's their business, I guess.
  • TVF
    36418 posts Member
    Wait, why would anyone choose to hide the opponent's score unilaterally? There may or may not be an advantage to see the score, but surely there isn't any to not see it, right?

Sometimes getting what you want is better than getting something that makes sense?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Screerider wrote: »
    Hide your opponents score from yourself - free
    Hide your score from your opponent - 500 Crystals

and that ladies & gentlemen is how you monetize a feature.

us0ihficpo8v.png

This is what OP wants, yes?
  • Justokay
    94 posts Member
    edited February 16
    Sure. That would be an improvement but not sure if people that attack last routinely due to time zone convenience (or tactical opportunity as someone called it earlier) would agree at higher levels so as to keep their tactical opportunity intact if they’ve come to rely on it. But maybe that’s a good middle ground. And it’s surely possible that people at high levels are tired of planning around GAC too so may welcome the chance. I sit between 3750-3850 skill rating. Like I said, I always go first which is a demonstrative disadvantage at that level where we all have similar rosters and small error margins.

Someone challenged me to respond on this next thing so I guess I should. The argument that’s wild to me is the one about seeing the score so “I don’t have to waste my time attacking.” Your convenience comes at a price to others, right. Why force people (who may even feel as you do) who live in time zones where GAC ends while they’re sleeping to waste their time attacking because you were gaming them to see if you had to attack. Maybe they want to game you. But that’s not really even the best fairness point. The better point is that the people making this convenience argument are telling a half truth. Sure you like the convenience of knowing you don’t need to attack because I guess you dont think you have a chance against a better player/roster or someone who “got lucky” or whatever. But that’s not what you’re really doing. The reality is that you’re using the information you have to make an informed decision that impacts both your and your opponent’s crystal compensation. You’re using the late attack advantage to see if your opponent made mistakes. To see if you have a path to win and how many dropped battles you can withstand and against which teams. If you do, you try to score one point more than them and quit. Crystals secured and convenience maximized. If you don’t have a path, you attack once and some (not all) will say matchmaking is super unfair. You see. We all just end up back at fairness in the end.
    Post edited by Justokay on
    Like I said, I always go first which is a demonstrative disadvantage at that level where we all have similar rosters and small error margins.

It's not a demonstrative disadvantage, it's a perceived disadvantage.
  • Stop. You’re saying knowing you can’t drop a battle or that you can drop 3 battles on a back wall isn’t an advantage? These aren’t serious arguments. This is called a motte and bailey argument. Next you’ll demand stats that nobody has and claim a win.
    Stop. You’re saying knowing you can’t drop a battle or that you can drop 3 battles on a back wall isn’t an advantage? These aren’t serious arguments. This is called a motte and bailey argument. Next you’ll demand stats that nobody has and claim a win.
    How is it an advantage if it doesn't alter the outcome? Knowing you can't drop a battle doesn't mean you have a greater chance of not dropping a battle. And knowing you can't overcome the score and only have to do one attack can only change a possible win to a definite loss, which would be an advantage for the player attacking first.
    An informed decision is not necessarily an advantage in the outcome.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • Disagree with you. But if you recall, I said to let the people that think attacking first is an advantage have the opportunity to show their score.

Knowing you must go clean, impacts what teams you use and where. Maybe you don’t use Fennec on Vader if you have to be clean and you save your GL for a different battle. Also, you skipped why knowing you can drop 3 battles isn’t an advantage.
    Disagree with you. But if you recall, I said to let the people that think attacking first is an advantage have the opportunity to show their score.

Knowing you must go clean, impacts what teams you use and where. Maybe you don’t use Fennec on Vader if you have to be clean and you save your GL for a different battle. Also, you skipped why knowing you can drop 3 battles isn’t an advantage.

I only have so many GL's to start with. I don't use Fennec against Vader because I "hope" it will work, I use Fennec on Vader because that's what I have. Knowing or not knowing the score changes nothing.
  • That’s one example my guy. I worried someone would seize on that. It’s illustrative not absolute. But if youve never gotten to a back wall and thought I can drop a few here and then didn’t plan around that, you’re missing out.