How is damage computed?

Tiggus
766 posts Member
When I look at the stats of a character, say Luminara to take an example that many are familiar with, I see:
Physical damage: 1606 + 60
STR: 576 + 16
AGI: 853 + 42 (increases Physical Damage)
INT: 506 + 24

When she hits with her basic attack, she deals 3000 damage, give or take.

Do you know how the stats above turn into the actual damage? Is it as simple as
Physical Damage + AGI + the various ability mats "+5%"s ?

PS: The website http://www.swgohcantina.com/character-max-stats/ lists all the actual damage stats, which are more useful than the raw stats, but I want to be able to compute the same for my actual characters, not for fully starred/geared/levelled (to 80, which I'm far off) ones.
☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/

Replies

• Waz675
    193 posts Member
    Pretty sure no one actually knows the battle forumulas as far as I know, and it's kind of too expensive to do lots of testing to try to deduce any such formulas since we don't have a practice area of any sort.
  • Very good question I wish we had more info on. I wish the stats were more intuitive.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    I thought that website did have formulas
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • LMYYYKS
    333 posts Member
    Different data sites give different sorts of data. Go to this one, it lists out the damage modifiers. Different characters have different damage modifiers so their damage outputs are different.

http://swgoh.gg/characters/aayla-secura/
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    They generally just ask Garrus to do it. He loves calibrations.
    c1ISucI.gif
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    So yes according to that last website (they really dig numbers!), every character has a magic "multiplier" used to compute the real damage from his advertised "Physical damage", that gets then multiplied by all these "+5%" / "+15%" he gets from the ability mats upgrades. Soooo, for instance:
    1. Rey : 1.706 + up to 35% (level7) / 50% (level 8)
    2. Resistance Trooper : 1.928 + 35% (level 7)
    3. IG-86 : 1.426 +50% (level 7) / 65% (level 8)
    4. Resistance Pilot: 2.008 +35%
    5. GS : 1.379 and 1.942 on his second attack
    6. Luminara : 1.452 and 2.231 on her second attack

And on the other side of the spectrum:
    1. Nighsister Initiate : 0.960 + 35%
    2. IG-100 : 1.061
    3. Teebo: 1.115
    4. Barriss Offee: 1.001
    5. Royal Guard 0.761 (we knew it!)
    6. Chewbacca: 0.938
    7. Fives 0.876

So according to that logic, if you have a valuable Mk4 Arakyd Droid Caller (+46 Physical Damage) and give it to Resistance Pilot, he will get +90 damage out of it, while Royal Guard will only get +35.

There is also a distinction between "Physical damage" and "Special damage". For instance, Luminara and GS only use "Physical damage" on both their attacks (with different multipliers); QGJ uses Special damage for his 2nd and 3rd attacks. Most characters never use Special damage.

Then again, some gear such as Mk3 Merr-Sonn Thermal Detonator or Mk5 Carbanti Sensor Array give mostly Special damage (+30 / +140 resp) and can be used (e.g. by QGJ) to boost their special attacks. But are totally useless to Luminara for instance.

As an example, our friend URRoRoror has Physical damage of about 2000, and an extraordinary Special damage of 3000 ! Alas, he just never uses it, for lack of an attack that actually uses Special damage. So if by any chance you were developing him (hint: don't), and were patiently grinding that Mk5 Carbanti thing, just know that it's all going to waste, as he will gain exactly 0 benefit out of that expensive piece of equipment (whereas QGJ would gain something like +250 damage out of it).
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Tiggus wrote: »
    So yes according to that last website (they really dig numbers!), every character has a magic "multiplier" used to compute the real damage from his advertised "Physical damage", that gets then multiplied by all these "+5%" / "+15%" he gets from the ability mats upgrades. Soooo, for instance:
    1. Rey : 1.706 + up to 35% (level7) / 50% (level 8)
    2. Resistance Trooper : 1.928 + 35% (level 7)
    3. IG-86 : 1.426 +50% (level 7) / 65% (level 8)
    4. Resistance Pilot: 2.008 +35%
    5. GS : 1.379 and 1.942 on his second attack
    6. Luminara : 1.452 and 2.231 on her second attack

And on the other side of the spectrum:
    1. Nighsister Initiate : 0.960 + 35%
    2. IG-100 : 1.061
    3. Teebo: 1.115
    4. Barriss Offee: 1.001
    5. Royal Guard 0.761 (we knew it!)
    6. Chewbacca: 0.938
    7. Fives 0.876

So according to that logic, if you have a valuable Mk4 Arakyd Droid Caller (+46 Physical Damage) and give it to Resistance Pilot, he will get +90 damage out of it, while Royal Guard will only get +35.

There is also a distinction between "Physical damage" and "Special damage". For instance, Luminara and GS only use "Physical damage" on both their attacks (with different multipliers); QGJ uses Special damage for his 2nd and 3rd attacks. Most characters never use Special damage.

Then again, some gear such as Mk3 Merr-Sonn Thermal Detonator or Mk5 Carbanti Sensor Array give mostly Special damage (+30 / +140 resp) and can be used (e.g. by QGJ) to boost their special attacks. But are totally useless to Luminara for instance.

As an example, our friend URRoRoror has Physical damage of about 2000, and an extraordinary Special damage of 3000 ! Alas, he just never uses it, for lack of an attack that actually uses Special damage. So if by any chance you were developing him (hint: don't), and were patiently grinding that Mk5 Carbanti thing, just know that it's all going to waste, as he will gain exactly 0 benefit out of that expensive piece of equipment (whereas QGJ would gain something like +250 damage out of it).

Cool explanation. Link plz?
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Holy crap I need to actually train Resistance Trooper?
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    @J0K3R This is from the character stats at http://swgoh.gg/characters/aayla-secura/ and my own interpretation.