[MEGA THREAD] New Portraits

Replies

• Options
    I’ve made my opinions clear in a now-closed thread.
    Terrible design fail. Your original portraits were actually impressively good at allowing players on small screens to still distinguish who is who. These new portraits completely destroy that.
    On top of that, some of them are just plain bad. Padme has a hunchback. Wampa looks like someone smashed his face in. Rey is just a white blob.
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Except for you guys. You don’t fix stuff that actually is broke and instead do this. SMH.
    I play on an iPhone 12 Pro.
  • Bearda
    30 posts Member
    Options
    Grevious Reven's ect look really cool. But as people have said some of them are to similar and could use some distinction also the ewoks kinda horrify me now same with Wampa.
  • Options
    Let us know which ones are your favorite and which ones you're not too fond of

Also, if you could list what device you're looking at them on, that would be great too! Thanks

Playing on an s24 ultra, most all characters with different models aka reys look way to similar, where it is cool that many toons look more real, like visas marr was super easy to see now is almost confusedly with bo katan. Also the hoods need to not make shadows, like I didn't even recognize jedi revan

All armored toons are way to close, fo piolit and fosf may to close.
  • Options
    Not happy. Very confusing to say the least. Don't see any upside to these changes at all 😢
  • Options
    Samsung A31, as if it really matters. Honestly, WTH? Has any one even asked for this? I wont give my opinion, as it is all laid down already in previous comments, but maybe, just maybe you can consider back to the fact that this is a mobile game and at least incorporate an option of what type of icon style graphics a player can choose.
  • Options

Also, if you could list what device you're looking at them on, that would be great too! Thanks

The overwhelming majority of the new portraits look fantastic. And unlike many of the complaints, I’ve had absolutely no problem being able to tell characters apart. I’d attribute my ability to distinguish even the most similar appearing of characters to a mystical art I learned at roughly 6 or 7 years old called “reading.”
    Years of applying this archaic skill has led me to untold places of knowledge. Specifically in this case, being able to clearly identify what character is who by reading their name, which is clearly and unambiguously posted above their portrait.

• Elswyr
    14 posts Member
    Options
    Galaxy Tab S6 lite
    Portraits look sharp, but a tad bit too dark and maybe also oversaturated.

I only have Rogue One, Resistance and FO built so far, so I'll focus on them:

- Resistance definitey won this lottery, esp. Holdo and OG Poe look stunning now.
    - Phasma and FO Officer are great and definitely an improvement.
    - Hux needs to look paler, a bit younger and much colder. I'm sorry, but he looks like a sligthly overworked librarian here.
    - The First Order pilots are difficult to tell a aprt. A brigher red for special forces might help, or let one turn his head to the left and the other to the right.
    - Veteran Han lost his rogueish quality, he looks like Hux' co-worker in the library now. Let him look straight into the camera again.
    - Tarkin takes some getting used to, can't put a finger on why exactly. Something about the hair is off.
    - Rogue one are all looking good with the exception of K2SO. Less torso, please, use the old closeup of the head, but in the new style.
  • Options
    Terrible on iPhone

EPIC FAIL

YOU COULD LOSE SOME LOYAL PLAYERS HERE
  • Options
    Spooky_11 wrote: »

The overwhelming majority of the new portraits look fantastic. And unlike many of the complaints, I’ve had absolutely no problem being able to tell characters apart. I’d attribute my ability to distinguish even the most similar appearing of characters to a mystical art I learned at roughly 6 or 7 years old called “reading.”
    Years of applying this archaic skill has led me to untold places of knowledge. Specifically in this case, being able to clearly identify what character is who by reading their name, which is clearly and unambiguously posted above their portrait.

They are above the portrait when selecting who to attack in TW are they? That's when knowing exactly who everyone is matters.
  • Options
    Can't tell who's who anymore, could be just a matter of getting used to but I prefer the old portraits.

Have you considered reading the name above the portrait? Call me crazy but that could be a good start for solving the enigma of who you’re looking at.
  • Options
    SUCKS. Our brains have been conditioned to recognize toons effortlessly and now, no one can tell what they're looking at on a phone. How much more of an immediate negative feedback blast do you need to revert the change?

Money horribly spent on the graphics department.
  • Winterwolves
    1793 posts Member
    edited July 2
    Options
    Can't tell who's who anymore, could be just a matter of getting used to but I prefer the old portraits.

Have you considered reading the name above the portrait? Call me crazy but that could be a good start for solving the enigma of who you’re looking at.

Going to troll everyone in this thread with this snark are you? How about everywhere in the game where the name is not there? Conquest enemies? GAC/TW attacks? The list on your own character select screen when choosing a squad? No name there until you select them.
  • Options

That's all well and good until they don't put the names above the picture in TW or GAC
  • Derdhal
    31 posts Member
    edited July 2
    Options
    Best:
    JML
    SLKR
    Lord Vader
    Revans
    Old Ben
    Mon Mothma
    Dooku
    Cara Dune

Worse:
    501st (who is who?)
    Chewies (who is who, too?)
    Embo (is this an old vessel?)
    Hux (who is this guy?)
    Omega (who is this girl?)
    Ezra (wth...)

Redmi Note 13 5G (Android 14)
  • Options
    Reading alot of people disliking them but I honestly like them. I think they look very nice. Looking from S22 Ultra. There are a few that look WAY too similar yes as pointed out by others. But overall they look good.
  • Phoenixeon
    1848 posts Member
    Options
    Sony xqb2
    Some characters looks very similar, but you can tell the differences after all.
    Its a great update to me.
  • Options
    Really bad on mobile, struggling to figure out who’s who when selecting characters for squads in gac. The actual detail when you look at it is pretty good, but due to the small image it’s really hard now to distinguish between characters without clicking into each one to see. Squad loadouts maybe a temp solution but once you want to change the squad the problem arises again. Just trying to give you some constructive criticism
  • Options
    These are terrible. The more traditional cartoonish portraits were far more clear and easy to distinguish. Now it's a strain to figure out who's who; they mostly look nothing like the characters in the source materials. It gives the game a whole skin that isn't very "Star Wars."

The old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.

I'm on PC.
  • Options
    Overall really liking the portrait changes.

I don’t like any of the Ahsoka portraits though
  • Options
    I love the new profile pictures. I see many disagreement with this, but I think given a couple days most will be back to normal. Thank you art department.
    However, there are a few that could use work. 501st clones could use a bit of help being recognizable, I just can’t think of how it could be done. Maybe take off the helmet of a couple?
    Also, the Geonosians look pretty similar. But simply turning sun fac slightly so his scar is more pronounced would be nice since he should be placed in before soldier because of the way mass assist works.
    I also think a few characters that didn’t get it could use it. Some of the more recent ones didn’t get it. Ones like Queen amidala make sense since it was already the correct style, but ones a bit older like krrsantan and Kyle are definitely a similar art style, but it’s definitely been refined since then.
    Also, snips looks like she’s possessed by the dark side guy from mortis. And Ezra… could use smaller eyebrows.
    I also just wanna say, the new boba looks amazing.
    Please don’t roll it back. It shouldn’t take too long to fix them, besides brainstorming for the clones. That’s a tuff one. Some of my favorites are Darth maul, 3po, JKR, and the best part, that Jedi knight Anakin. Poster worthy art.
    Also, I’m on iPhone 11.
  • SgtsPepper11
    3 posts Member
    edited July 3
    Options
    My only major criticism is that two portraits shouldn't be so similar that a player can't tell at a glance who it is. The style is fine (I'd like to see the models updated to match at some point), but there a few that I'm not particularly fond of.

Omega
    Luminara
    Hera
    GBA and Sun Fac are almost identical
    Fulcrum and CAT are problematically similar
    Bastila and BSF are almost the exact same as well

Using a galaxy note 20
  • Options
    All the Night Sisters look great. NS Spirit is awesome! Even Ima Gun-di looks sweet. Great job art team!

Galaxy s23.
  • Tuff
    1 posts Member
    Options
    Hey I'm on android. Overall I love the new artwork for the sith and clones especially. Unrelated but can Padawan Obi be given his hero bonuses?
  • RevJJ82
    74 posts Member
    Options
    To me this looks like what happens when you let ai do work that actual humans should be doing. It resembles art, but there is something off about it. Not a fan.

Also, Darth Vader looks more like Dark Helmet now.
  • Options
    Please give us the option to revert to the old portraits. It’s annoying to have to view every character to find out who they are.
  • Options

Yeah so when I'm doing gac I know need to click on and read all characters instead of vaguely glancing at the pp and know who it is.
  • Options

Playing on an s24 ultra, most all characters with different models aka reys look way to similar, where it is cool that many toons look more real, like visas marr was super easy to see now is almost confusedly with bo katan. Also the hoods need to not make shadows, like I didn't even recognize jedi revan

All armored toons are way to close, fo piolit and fosf may to close.

Like many look awesome! I would like shadows toned down on most.
  • Options

Like do you play on pc? Mobile you have to tap into each character
  • Options
    Whether they look cool or not is in the eye of the beholder so I feel like I have nothing to add. Functionally we will probably adjust but the game has over 250+ characters and it really makes no sense to continually force us to get used to new designs. Keep these or revert them but let this be the last update please.