[MEGA THREAD] New Portraits

Replies

• Options
    They just look too similar, they need to be brightened as all look dark.
  • Yogurt
    2 posts Member
    Options
    Absolute failure on CG. This goes well beyond an Ahnald "FIX YOUR GAME" scream. Painful to play. Painful to see. Worse than the Endor raid backgrounds.
  • Options
    Any mod in here who i able to identify?
    hsc08p7fks02.png

nsad41cbpxx3.png

sorry guys, take ur scum Portraits and send them to Dathomir into deep deep holes
  • Azrul
    74 posts Member
    edited July 8
    Options
    I thought the new portraits were bad and had already posted about it. Now that I need to fill in TB ops, I find them completely dreadful. They're too small, too dark and confusing. I can't recognize anything and have to long press on many of them to make sure it's the right toon. Please, revert back. You made the game not fun at all
    Post edited by Azrul on
    order 66 41st division lead. European reset
  • Options
    Spooky_11 wrote: »
    Let us know which ones are your favorite and which ones you're not too fond of

Also, if you could list what device you're looking at them on, that would be great too! Thanks

The overwhelming majority of the new portraits look fantastic. And unlike many of the complaints, I’ve had absolutely no problem being able to tell characters apart. I’d attribute my ability to distinguish even the most similar appearing of characters to a mystical art I learned at roughly 6 or 7 years old called “reading.”
    Years of applying this archaic skill has led me to untold places of knowledge. Specifically in this case, being able to clearly identify what character is who by reading their name, which is clearly and unambiguously posted above their portrait.

Oh how do you read the names in TB. Snarkycomments like you're something special does not help any situation. You're also probably a tablet/ipad/pc player so tell us all again how we are the **** because you can read.....
  • Doc_Bo
    7 posts Member
    Options
    Hello, nearly all of them are horrible and 2 of the same character in different phases, e.g Maul, Darth Maul, The Ahsokas etc. The clones etc all look exactly the same.
  • Options
    Creating an account here after many years playing to also voice my frustration with the character icons. The style probably looks great when they are on a large screen, but when it's shrunken down onto a mobile phone it simply does not work. The highlights and the shadowing is absolutely atrocious. Whoever you've got working in your Graphic design and UX departments need to by fired as it shows a complete lack of competency. There is no way this was ever properly tested on a phone by anyone who has actually played the game.

It's bad enough trying to figure out who each character is now (some of them now look nothing like the character), but as soon as you start playing around in the mod screens the character icons are now 1/20th the size with no way of figuring out who the mods belong to.

I just don't get the philosophy here at all. There is nothing good about this change, it is a massive smack in the face to people from an Accessibility perspective, and it isn't something that was ever needed or asked for.

I would be interested to see a PUBLICISED IN GAME OPTION put in place to revert back to the previous icons and then see CG do some actual reporting on what the take up is on that and by who; I imagine there will be a 90%+ take up by active phone users.
  • Options
    I’ve given it a while before posting to see if they grow on me and they haven’t. Appreciate the work that’s gone into them but from a UX perspective it is a fail. Too dark, too small, too similar - not sure how this was missed before launch. Unlikely it will be walked back but it would win back some brownie points and then you can have another go.
  • Options
    Toersch wrote: »
    Any mod in here who i able to identify?
    hsc08p7fks02.png

nsad41cbpxx3.png

sorry guys, take ur scum Portraits and send them to Dathomir into deep deep holes

I can recognize only the chewpio.
  • Options
    Azazel224 wrote: »
    Spooky_11 wrote: »

Also, if you could list what device you're looking at them on, that would be great too! Thanks

The overwhelming majority of the new portraits look fantastic. And unlike many of the complaints, I’ve had absolutely no problem being able to tell characters apart. I’d attribute my ability to distinguish even the most similar appearing of characters to a mystical art I learned at roughly 6 or 7 years old called “reading.”
    Years of applying this archaic skill has led me to untold places of knowledge. Specifically in this case, being able to clearly identify what character is who by reading their name, which is clearly and unambiguously posted above their portrait.

Oh how do you read the names in TB. Snarkycomments like you're something special does not help any situation. You're also probably a tablet/ipad/pc player so tell us all again how we are the **** because you can read.....

Same issue in conquest, can't even tap the character to get a name to pop up.
  • HarrilyFord
    59 posts Member
    edited July 9
    Options
    The fact this thread has gotten 96,000 views tells me this is quite a lot bigger than a niche concern within the community.
  • LordDirt
    5233 posts Member
    Options
    The fact this thread has gotten 96,000 views tells me this is quite a lot bigger than a niche concern within the community.

Thread is just titled New Portraits, it doesn't say anything about issues with them.
    We needed Cobb Vanth shards for Krayt Dragon raid, Endor Gear Luke shards for Speeder Bike raid and Anakin Skywalker shards for Battle for Naboo raid?
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »

Thread is just titled New Portraits, it doesn't say anything about issues with them.

With a little logic one could assume......
  • LordDirt
    5233 posts Member
    Options

With a little logic one could assume......

Never assume
    We needed Cobb Vanth shards for Krayt Dragon raid, Endor Gear Luke shards for Speeder Bike raid and Anakin Skywalker shards for Battle for Naboo raid?
  • Options

Start a new thread?
  • Options
    All the other threads with issues about the new portraits just get closed so I guess that's a good strategy
  • Options
    I thought the thread was about: " Let us know which ones are your favorite and which ones you're not too fond of

Also, if you could list what device you're looking at them on, that would be great too! Thanks"
  • Jed_Eye
    179 posts Member
    Options

They are all trash. Was the point to make all characters unrecognizable?????
  • Zen0001
    15 posts Member
    Options
    Any comment CG? Anything at all?

I'll increase my offer, I'll pay $80 for the old icons back. I can't work with mods with these icons. What can we do to get the old icons back?
  • KingOfLosing
    466 posts Member
    edited July 10
    Options
    explain to me this then, where were all you complainers back before they released previous character and portrait reworks, clearly theyve been testing this for years. now that the coast was clear you want to come out of the woodworks? seems very irrational to me. just get used to it, pretty soon your body will become accustomed to this new norm...
  • Options
    I complained pretty hard when they changed the Ahsoka portraits and models, but that was purely personal preference for aesthetics.

The reason, I think, that the response this time is so large is because the changes were massive rather than a one-off here and there.
  • Options
    Another update but the portraits were still not fixed/reverted. Why is it so hard to revert them?
  • Options
    explain to me this then, where were all you complainers back before they released previous character and portrait reworks, clearly theyve been testing this for years. now that the coast was clear you want to come out of the woodworks? seems very irrational to me. just get used to it, pretty soon your body will become accustomed to this new norm...

Not sure what you're referring to. Maybe I wasn't playing then. It's not like I studied the artwork and found it not good enough. I simply can't see who is who. I even confused Jedi Training Rey for Resistance Hero Poe.
  • Options
    Zen0001 wrote: »
    Another update but the portraits were still not fixed/reverted. Why is it so hard to revert them?

I can imagine they delete/lost the old ones
  • Options
    Is CG planning to provide any type of response? If so, when?
    Perhaps it wasn't clear from the huge outcry on this unannounced change, but players really appreciate clear communications and expectation management.
  • masters
    240 posts Member
    Options
    Does anyone remember the family guy cut away where Paul presents the cover art for sgt peppers and Ringo replies with yeah, but it won't look good on a CD." ? That's what think about when I see these new portraits.
  • Options
    Two issues:
    1. Toons look too similar, makes it hard to distinguish.
    2. Using Live Action designs for animated toons, feels weird and messes with familiarity of the characters.
  • Options
    The quality of portraits matter not. Many of them are excellent portraits.

The problem is that we need icons, not portraits. Any two icons should be distinguishable from each other without problem. Even the old icons were bad, and should have been made more iconic, not realistic.

Removing all the portraits and replacing them with just text is better than the status quo. I prefer some sort of graphic representation though, but they need to be crystal clear. And all the Clones and Jawas need name signs on them.

People saying we will get used to it, have no idea what they are talking about. You don't get used to things like this - you may play on, but it is a constant annoyance that never goes away, making the gaming experience worse than it has to be - or you may stop playing because you can no longer see what you are doing.

The only solution to this is to remove the portraits as icons.
  • Options
    Terrible in my opinion. The portraits were ok before. Maybe a few tweaks was needed. But this overhaul was a terrible decision.
    I agree As others have said:
    Very hard to tell apart. I only use a phone and this is very true.
    Very dark. Another reason that makes them hard to see
    Also they look way too small for the frame. Again hard to see.
    And most look so much alike I have to click on them to see who or what I am looking at.