Cantina Ability Mats a no no?

Just wondering what the community thought is on using cantina credits to buy ability mats. I know there are some pretty great characters available from these but the level II ability mats are pretty hard to get. I'm only lvl 46 so I could be being a little short sighted here, just seems that getting mats would just slow me down and not completely deter me from my future fives/Boba/Daka

Replies

• Options
    Darthmaal wrote: »
    Just wondering what the community thought is on using cantina credits to buy ability mats. I know there are some pretty great characters available from these but the level II ability mats are pretty hard to get. I'm only lvl 46 so I could be being a little short sighted here, just seems that getting mats would just slow me down and not completely deter me from my future fives/Boba/Daka

they're your credits but 5 shards vs 2 L2 ability mats seems like a better deal, particularly when GW and cantina battles drops the mats regularly.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never.
    Oh, did I forget to say "never"?
    I currently am sitting on 208 level 1 ability mats and 97 level 2. Once you get above level 45 or so, all that really matter are the level 3s. Meanwhile I have 3 different characters it will take me months to farm out of there.
    Never. :)
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never.
    I currently am sitting on 208 level 1 ability mats and 97 level 2. Once you get above level 45 or so, all that really matter are the level 3s. Meanwhile I have 3 different characters it will take me months to farm out of there.

Lol, I level 54 and still don't get enough mats. Do you have only five characters? I'd be interested to know how you get so many?
  • Options
    Yeah same here, lvl55 and still need all the lvl1 and lvl2 mats I can get. You just have to ask yourself if you'll ever want any of the characters that can be redeemed for cantina credits, or if you feel like stockpiling credits for the inevitable rotation when they put new characters in there. Have to say, with how easily farmable ability mats are buying them seems like a waste, even they though they do take time to farm. At the end of the day character shards are your most valuable asset in this game, I would scrape them up however you can and worry about everything else secondarily
  • Options
    Reddplague wrote: »
    Qeltar wrote: »

Lol, I level 54 and still don't get enough mats. Do you have only five characters? I'd be interested to know how you get so many?

I'm level 57 and I don't have a surplus either and I finish GW 9 times out of 10. Are you spending a ton of crystals on Cantina battle energy? I only refresh once per day for 100 crystals.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • HavokTrigger
    897 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Im lv 56 I've got 10 characters with Lv 4-6 skills and probably 10 others with all Lv 3 skills. I still have almost 200 lv 1s and 80 or so lv 2s.Lv1 and 2 mats will always be in excess later on. Never buy them.

Lv4-6 uses varying amounts of lv3 mats. Use those sparingly as they are pretty hard to stock up.
  • Options
    Tier I and II ability mats will become plentiful, but canteena shipments are always hard to get (require refills). Just go without the higher abilities until the materials start coming in. I made this mistake early, buying materials instead of shipments, and i still regret it every day.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options
    Level 3 ability mats are way too scarce. I hardly ever get any from the Cantina and I think I might have gotten 2 of them from completing GW.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options
    2 per day that is.
  • Options
    Between GW and the challenges I stay in enough of them to train up the core team and then some more earned in the cantina battles. I'm not sure if it's true but it seems like the higher cantina boards drop more of the ability mats. In farming JC shards, I always end up with a handful of the mats.
  • Options
    It's better to make surenyou play on Sun and Wes (ornis it Tue), that give the mats challenges. I also depends a bit on your threshold to refresh cantina. If all tiu care is one more I or Ii mat and Cantina refresh is at 400 Crystals, maybe buy it.

But let me explain what happens later in the game: tou have 80 level I mats unused, and 40 level II. And you CAN'T use them because abikity level 3 and higher (and increasingly) consume level III mats.

So buying matts with a very scarce resource (Cantina credits) is bad, because you get mats where you will have a surplus, plus you use a very hard currency (cantina credits) to buy something that is a very natural deop in GW, Cantina missions and Mat Challanges.

I bough materials 2 times, ever, and only to unlock extremely special abikities where hacing it now vs tomorrow would affect me even more.

Cantina Shipments therefore are always best avoided!
  • Options
    Don't ever buy ability mats. I could have 50 more Daka shards if I didn't waste my money on mats I no longer need.
  • Options
    TheVinegru wrote: »
    Don't ever buy ability mats. I could have 50 more Daka shards if I didn't waste my money on mats I no longer need.

Agreed. Even if it means waiting a day or so, the shards are the premium and especially cantina tokens which take a lot more time to refill the energy on.